• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Electrolytes

Makaala

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hola,
I am wondering about electrolytes for the walk. Is there a prefered brand and can we find sources for on the camino or should we bring with us? gracias

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can by them along the Camino; but i brought a tube of Nuun before i left!
However along the way i just drank a can Aquarius lemon or orange when stopped for a break most bars/cafes sell it keep me going never had leg cramps etc. ! Sometimes took another one with me in my pack.
Sodium (111mg), Potassium (36mg), Calcium (1.7mg), Magnesium (2.4mg), Vitamin B3 (3mg), Vitamin B5 (1.1mg), Vitamin B6 (0.3mg).
Buen Camino Woody

Hola,
I am wondering about electrolytes for the walk. Is there a prefered brand and can we find sources for on the camino or should we bring with us? gracias
100 % a brand called Aquarius. Available in pretty much any supermarket in Spain (1.5L just under €2) and many shops. Not sure about bars. I think you will find many devotees on here. Available in Limon and Orange flavours and a zero sugar option too. Great refreshing drink.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can of Aquarius Limon can be found in pretty much all bars across Spain for 1€ a can (0.33L).

Its a perfect excuse to sit down and relax from the heat in an air condiriomed room while airing your feet a bit.

Thank you. Funny enough bought it in huge quantities when living in Spain, but don’t think ever bought it in a bar! Never seen a canned version! Guess it’s been coffee wine or beer in a bar. Obv save a bit if you buy a big bottle but need to carry!

Last edited:
As others have have mentioned, I brought a tube of Nuun electrolyte tablets and would start my day with one in my water bottle. Aquarius and Powerade are usually available at most stores as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pretty much every pharmacy sells electrolyte tablets, powder or liquid. Easy to add to your regular water supply. Not the heaviest product to bring from home if you’ve a preferred brand.

Aquarius is a Coke product in a plastic bottle and virtually all water by volume, the next three ingredients being sugars.

There is a zero option if aspartame or similar is your preference.

100 % a brand called Aquarius. Available in pretty much any supermarket in Spain (1.5L just under €2) and many shops. Not sure about bars. I think you will find many devotees on here. Available in Limon and Orange flavours and a zero sugar option too. Great refreshing drink.

Ahhhh, Aquarius (“con hielo, por favor”)! My second most favorite daily sustenance on my Camino, the first being un ración de tortilla for breakfast every morning. I’m curious what Portuguese equivalents I’ll find when I start walking from Porto this spring, and am already anxious that I won’t find any …

Don't know how widespread though :)

What countries sell Aquarius?

Contents
  • 1 Aquarius worldwide. 1.1 Argentina. 1.2 Belgium and Luxembourg. 1.3 Brazil. 1.4 Chile. 1.5 China. 1.6 Germany. 1.7 Hong Kong and Macau. 1.8 Indonesia. 1.9 Japan. 1.10 Morocco. 1.11 Netherlands. 1.12 Peru. 1.13 Portugal. 1.14 Serbia. 1.15 Spain. 1.16 Switzerland. 1.17 Vietnam.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Aquarius is a Coke product in a plastic bottle and virtually all water by volume, the next three ingredients being sugars.

There is a zero option if aspartame or similar is your preference.
Do you mean to say that my afternoon Coke or Kaz break on the Camino on ice when I'm hot has the same effect as Aquarius..I never realized that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do you mean to say that my afternoon Coke or Kaz break on the Camino on ice when I'm hot has the same effect as Aquarius..I never realized that.
when the moon is in the 7th house maybe :p

to the OP , i just feel a craving for a bag of crisps ( chips to others ) when I sweat loads... and often grab some when I see a shop. Some peeps do need to supplement tho

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why would you need such a thing?
I started having electrolyte issues at about 70 YO. After a trip to the ER for dizziness and rapid pulse after a jog, I started using Nuun tablets in a bottle of water. They work fine and are easy to carry; I buy the box of 8 ten-count tubes online. Not the most flavorful, but works.

My favourite "electrolytes" on CF and CP was freshly squeezed orange juice. It is delicious and relatively inexpensive.
So true, and I'd often stop for a mid-morning little rest stop and order the wonderful OJ if I saw a special machine behind the bar. I have yet to have a fresh squeezed glass of OJ in the US that tasted as good as in Spain; the oranges in Florida and Cali are not quite as bright or flavorful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Like others on this thread, over five Caminios, I've used Nuun tablets. I walk with one bottle of water and one bottle of Nuun electrolytes. I sweat a lot so I have to drink a lot. That said, I'm also addicted to Aquarius. Best invention ever. I also take a few magnesium tablets for the just in case night cramps.

Hola,
I like the powder in packets. The tablets don't fit through the neck of my repurposed water bottle.

Greetings @Makaala. This question or variations on it comes up multiple times a year. (Like everything, just type electrolytes and click on 'titles and first posts only' in the advanced search function and you'll see what I mean). And the answers you've got above are a pretty good indication as to the ones you're going to get going forth and there will probably be a lot of them !

Some like to use electrolytes, some say you have zero need - often accompanied by the statement 'if you have the correct diet', yet others like fresh orange juice and/or Aquarius. ( I fall in that camp).

One that nobody's mentioned yet is gazpacho. I recall a thread ( I think by @trecile) last year that quoted a study on the benefits of gazpacho. Basically being that it's not only refreshing (and better for you) but excellent to top up your electrolytes with the benefit of no added sugar.

At the end of the day it's like so many subjects here on the forum, completely individual. A tube / a few sachets of Nuun Tablets weigh very little. So by all means carry them. All of the other options are readily available in Spain, try them to find which works best for you!

PS: Gazpacho, fresh orange juice and Aquarius are of course the yummiest!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am under the impression that Kas and non alcoholic beer are also good electrolytes. Is this correct? Buen Camino
Kas apparently not (judging by the internet). But a 2016 study of non-alcoholic beer before and after exercise apparently showed that it is better for you than just water, giving you a better ratio of sodium to potassium. So, yes! Apparently, the polyphenols in non-alcoholic beer should also calm inflammation ! (No more vitamin I!)
Shame I can't stand the stuff.....

After six Caminos, I have decided that the best method - for me - involves including a banana for breakfast, stopping for fresh squeezed OJ at any convenient cafe, and drinking abundant water throughout the day. I usually try to purloin an orange at breakfast to carry to eat later as needed.

This is a lot less involved and cheaper than using Nuun tablets, or anything from the local farmacia. However, if the needs arises, know that every farmacia has rehydration salts in packets. Drinking the Aquarius sports rehydration drink is another option.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I sometimes need electrolytes, first realising on a hot walking trip in Cambodia. Cramps in my legs can be really bad. I carry Diarolyte for possible stomach upsets and find those work fine. I try and make sure I’m getting salt and sugar alongside all that water or I have a problem!

I got fastchews recommended by some runners and luckily brought them on our camino. Really helped during the heat wave.

c

I was thinking one would need to stay fully hydrated and electrlytes would add a good boost ?
I only ever carried electrolytes when walking the VdlP in Summer.... I don't think they are needed on the CF but each to their own.
They are available in farmacias.

Gracias, Peter. Ok, fresh OJ manana, Aquarius at mid day, two bottles of water, cerveza 0.0 afternoon. cerveza con alcohol before dinner, vino tinto with dinner. Rehydrated! Buen Camino
@t2andreo is right, Banana! They're so much part of my regular diet that I clean forgot to mention them. Excellent source of potassium and magnesium. Add a banana to that list Jerry and your sorted!

Last edited:
There are studies that show that milk may provide better hydration than plain water or some other beverages.

There are studies that show that milk may provide better hydration than plain water or some other beverages.
I used to swear by milk for hydration back in my youth. Also known as my drinking days... . Before going out of an evening I would drink a pint of milk. Upon returning home, the same. I never, ever had a hangover. Which, as we all know, is basically just dehydration.
Mind you I only ever drank spirits. Most of the beer drinkers seemed to be the one suffering the hangovers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can of Aquarius Limon can be found in pretty much all bars across Spain for 1€ a can (0.33L).

Its a perfect excuse to sit down and relax from the heat in an air condiriomed room while airing your feet a bit.

I see they now have a sugar free version, which is good.
I drank gallons of it on my first Camino :rolleyes:

Last Camino I tried "Salt Sticks".
They worked really well!
Better than Aquarius I think.
I took a couple a day.

salt sticks.jpg

I got the idea from this video.

Last edited:
I see they now have a sugar free version, which is good.
I drank gallons of it on my first Camino :rolleyes:

Last Camino I tried "Salt Sticks".
They worked really well!
Better than Aquarius I think.
I took a couple a day.

View attachment 162530

I got the idea from this video.

Indeed. On the 1.5 litre bottles they seem to have changed the packaging on the sugar free version to increase the ease of differentiating between the sugar version and non sugar version.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why would you need such a thing?
Because your body loses them hiking and the loss can cause all kinds of issues.
At least levels of discomfort that can easily be avoided.
Interesting video in my post above.
Sure you can manage with diet. Lots of salty foods etc.
But electrolytes make the whole balancing act a lot easier.

I have walked without, and with them.
Given a choice I would always walk with them.
Or at least carry a 500 ml bottle of aquariius to sip through the day.

Of course it can also depend on how far you walk, in what level of heat, how much you sweat, what you have eaten...........

Also the route. You may not see a shop or bar all day.

The video I shared above is a bit of a Masterclass on it. Not saying he is a medical expert on it, but his research made sense to me, I tried his suggestions and it worked. No muscle cramps, no tendon issues, no headaches, no loss of energy mid way in the day.
YMMV?

Last edited:
No really, unless you are walking in quite extreme temperatures or running the whole way. Our bodies are very good at maintaining the things we need at the right levels. Most of what you ingest like this just gets excreted. A well balanced report is here - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/what-are-electrolytes-and-do-i-replenish-them

Interesting article from the 'BBC Good Food' guide :rolleyes:
Hardly what I would call a 'report' though.
But I would agree, that severe sweating and stenuous activity tends to deplete electorolytes.
What is interesting, is the degree to which long distance hiking has a similar effect.
But as for adding herbs and spices to food in place of salt. Hmmm. Not sure.

But I found the video I posted of great interest as it was based on a whole raft of scientific papers, that the presenter then 'interpretes' in a very logical manner to explain what this means for hikers. Who are not running or sweating profusely. I wouldn't be dismissing it till you watch it. ;)

I brought a tube of NUUN tabs and a few Liquid IV packets from home. I always had a .5L bottle of my electrolyte mix on me. I also did what a few others did - if I stopped at cafe and it was warm outside I would order an Aquarius.

Someone posted "why would you need them?"...I walked both of my caminos in the summer - there were a few very warm/hot days that I feel the electrolytes were beneficial to me. You just have to listen to your body. In the past I have been on a long hike where I needed the electrolytes/salty things and didn't have them - lets just say the hike was miserable for me, the nausea and feeling sick is an awful feeing, took all evening to recover from that feeling and I don't want to ever feel that again - learned my lesson, that my body needs more than just plain water when I hike.

I sometimes need electrolytes, first realising on a hot walking trip in Cambodia. Cramps in my legs can be really bad. I carry Diarolyte for possible stomach upsets and find those work fine. I try and make sure I’m getting salt and sugar alongside all that water or I have a problem!
If you do get cramps then eating some yellow mustard (the stuff with turmeric) plain may give you some relief. Peg was offered two packets on a hike and the cramps went away in minutes. I see pickle juice mentioned a lot for this too.

Quoting from

New research suggests that some muscle cramps may actually be triggered by nerve malfunction. Two neurobiologists, Nobel Prize winner, Rod MacKinnon, MD, and his colleague Bruce Bean, PhD, found that overwhelming sensory neurons in the mouth, throat and stomach with strong flavors can quickly reverse many muscle cramps. That may explain why swallowing a teaspoonful of yellow mustard (or vinegar) is so effective for so many in such a short period of time.

Their research has demonstrated that stimulating sensory neurons can interrupt the muscle contractions responsible for cramps. And yes, it frequently works in under two minutes.

------------------------------

This theory shows why the remedies work so fast; they bypass digestion.

You can by them along the Camino; but i brought a tube of Nuun before i left!
However along the way i just drank a can Aquarius lemon or orange when stopped for a break most bars/cafes sell it keep me going never had leg cramps etc. ! Sometimes took another one with me in my pack.
Sodium (111mg), Potassium (36mg), Calcium (1.7mg), Magnesium (2.4mg), Vitamin B3 (3mg), Vitamin B5 (1.1mg), Vitamin B6 (0.3mg).
Buen Camino Woody
Aquarius! Yummy!! 💖

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No really, unless you are walking in quite extreme temperatures or running the whole way. Our bodies are very good at maintaining the things we need at the right levels. Most of what you ingest like this just gets excreted. A well balanced report is here - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/what-are-electrolytes-and-do-i-replenish-them
I read that article. I think what you are not considering is that different bodies behave differently. One person's extreme temperature is another person's nice day.

Whether your electrolytes get depleted depends on your body type, what you're used to, your age and fitness, and your weight.

I think two people walking next to each other, and doing the exact same things could have totally different experiences.

Last edited:
I miss cerveza con limon and Aquarius. I actually brought some Nuun tablets last time. Because the thirst can feel kind of continual!

Hola,
It took me a while to figure it out, but a fellow pilgrim clued me in after about 100 miles. It's an electrolyte drink similar to Gatorade called Aqua Aquaria. Easy to drink and tastes good. I also bring along magnesium tablets and try to supplement with at least 200 (or more) mg elemental magnesium er day. I'm not so much concerned about sodium because it's contained in so many foods.

The downside of magnesium tablets is that they are relatively large compared to other supplements. Magnesium Glycinate is the type I prefer because it is gentler to the digestive tract (doesn't cause diarrhea) than other forms of chelated magnesium (e.g., Magnesium Malate, or Magnesium Citrate). Magnesium Glycinate is about 14% elemental magnesium, so read the label carefully. Are they declaring the amount of magnesium glycinate or the amount of elemental magnesium? A typical 500 mg magnesium glycinate tablet has about 70 mg of elemental magnesium.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Aquarius was originally created in Japan. It was purchased by the Coca Cola company a few years ago and is marketed in most of the world in cans and bottles. Unfortunately it is not available in the USA. I do like it much better than our Gatorade, it is less sweet and much lighter. My go to drink on the camino!

Hola,
As most, I am an Aquarius fan. I also bring a couple of tubes of Nuun tablets to drop in a water bottle but never in my water bladder in my pack. The Nuun tablets can leave a residue that is difficult to remove from the bladder water system. If you are inclined to chew gum there is an electrolyte gum called Quench that I sometimes use but I am not a frequent gum chewer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For those recommending water, I always drank significant amounts but this can also lead to needing electrolytes. Each time I stopped by a pharmacy and described my symptoms, they frequently suggested electrolytes. I’ve carried tablets, but I’ve found eating several pieces of fresh fruit a day, as well as milk and yogurts, (or the beloved OJ) were good real food products with multiple benefits.

I bring a few packets of LMNT with me in case my diet isn’t keeping up for some reason. Sometimes a Radler IS the best recovery drink though 😂

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola,
Salt Sticks tablets, from REI. Great to have on our Camino in September in Portugal when it was very hot.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.