• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho Português Interior de Santiago 2015 - blogdibruno

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Beautiful photos.

Attention.

The way is not marked with yellow arrows of Coimbra to Farminhão (first albergue).
From Santa Comba Dao, you can walk by the river Ecotrail Dan to Farminhão.
There are several trains that connect Coimbra to Santa Comba Dao.

AMSimoes
lovely - thanks soo much for sharing those gentle images of those blessed places.

This is beautiful, thanks A. So are you recommending that if people want to walk this way, we should start from Santa Comba? Are there plans to mark the caminho from Coimbra? It would be wonderful to have a Lisboa-Coimbra-Viseu-Chaves-Verin-Ourense-Santiago option for those looking for a longer caminho. Bom caminho, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Laurie, I’ll head to Coimbra from Lisbon (train/bus) and from there I thought I may start at Farminhão. The path is marked from there onwards I believe. I’ll try to take good notes this time. Are you considering to walk this route this year or next? Cheers, G

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you thank you thank you for this! I didn't know about the "ecopista" system in Portugal until this post. I'm a big fan of the "vías verdes" rail-trails in Spain, so I'm happy to hear that Portugal is doing something similar.

Here are a couple of links about the Ecopista de Dão. As you say, it looks like a great way to hop onto the Caminho Português Interior from quite close to Coimbra.

http://pedalportugal.com/day-rides/the-beiras/ecopista-do-dao/

http://www.ecopista-portugal.com/en/cycling-portugal.html

I wish! I did a little three-day taste of the Francés in March and am now scheming about how to undertake something longer. With the Francés so overrun in the summer, I'm leaning toward a winter/spring Francés, but the Português Interior seems like an alternative I should learn more about.

By the way, in Spain as well there are places where the Vías Verdes either connect or coincide with various Caminos. Our experience of this was in Catalunya, where the rail-trail between Girona and Olot now forms part of the Cami Sant Jaume. It's a lovely bit of Spain, very different from the Francés. Here's some background:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/t...canoes-of-catalonia.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&

So many Caminos, so little time!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow - impressive pictures. I can't wait to leave. Heading out late Oct to cycle it. I wish I could walk, hopefully next year.

Wow - impressive pictures. I can't wait to leave. Heading out late Oct to cycle it. I wish I could walk, hopefully next year.
LisaAnn,

Welcome to the forum! Are you planning to take the Interior route? If so, will you leave the central route at Albergaria or at Coimbra? I'm thinking about doing this next year and it seems like the turn-off at Coimbra would be best, but Aurelio says that not all of that way is marked. Hmmmm.......

Hi Laurie, I’ll head to Coimbra from Lisbon (train/bus) and from there I thought I may start at Farminhão. The path is marked from there onwards I believe. I’ll try to take good notes this time. Are you considering to walk this route this year or next? Cheers, G

Hi, Grace, I've already walked this year so unfortunately it will have to wait till next year. I think my husband would revolt if I started on a two-caminos-a-year plan!

But I think that next year is a real possibility. Do you have any idea how many days the Coimbra (or Santa Comba) to Viseu route would add to the Interior? Aurelio says that there's a good trail from Santa Comba onwards, so maybe the train from Coimbra to Santa Comba is the best idea for me. Keep us posted! Thanks, bom caminho, Laurie

I wish! I did a little three-day taste of the Francés in March and am now scheming about how to undertake something longer. With the Francés so overrun in the summer, I'm leaning toward a winter/spring Francés, but the Português Interior seems like an alternative I should learn more about.

By the way, in Spain as well there are places where the Vías Verdes either connect or coincide with various Caminos. Our experience of this was in Catalunya, where the rail-trail between Girona and Olot now forms part of the Cami Sant Jaume. It's a lovely bit of Spain, very different from the Francés. Here's some background:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/t...canoes-of-catalonia.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&

So many Caminos, so little time!

Hi, Prentiss, I don't mean to take this thread off-topic, but I walked from Llanca this year, and the old railroad trail from Girona was a beautiful part of the camino I walked, it forms a big part of the Cami between Girona and Vic, even though the Amigos associations in both cities are up in arms against it! Buen camino, Laurie

Beautiful photos.

Attention.

The way is not marked with yellow arrows of Coimbra to Farminhão (first albergue).
From Santa Comba Dao, you can walk by the river Ecotrail Dao to Farminhão.

AMSimoes

Please could you inform me who sings the beautiful ballad Irish I think from about 4 -8 minutes on your excellent photos stream James

Hi, Prentiss, I don't mean to take this thread off-topic, but I walked from Llanca this year, and the old railroad trail from Girona was a beautiful part of the camino I walked, it forms a big part of the Cami between Girona and Vic, even though the Amigos associations in both cities are up in arms against it! Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie, sorry for taking this off topic! I found one of your old threads on the "false Camino" disputes in Catalonia and will go read more there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Beautiful photos.

Attention.

From Santa Comba Dao, you can walk by the river Ecotrail Dao to Farminhão.

AMSimoes

Hi, Aurelio, a question abaout the Ecopista. I see that it is 49 riverside kms between Santa Comba and Viseu. My question is, if you were going to walk just one chunk of it as a day hike, which would be the prettiest part in your opinion? I will be back in Portugal in the spring and we're planning a weekend trip up to the Dao area. I'd like to check out this trail. Obrigada, see you in a few months, I hope! Laurie

Hi Laurie

As I have said, the Ecotrail of the River Dão is not part of the Camino de Santiago (CPI), I think the natural way will be very close or coincident with part of the National Road No. 2 (Santa Comba to São Miguel do Outeiro/Farminhão).
I request and inform all pilgrims not to confuse the two paths.
I only mentioned the Ecotrail of the River Dão, for being an easy way to get the albergue of Farminhão when the transport used from Lisbon is the train.
Responding to your question the first part of Santa Comba Dao up to Tondela Ecotrail follows very close to the River Dão, after this city inflects to the interior passing through small villages and forests of pine and vineyards (Vinho do Dão). It is difficult to say which is the most beautiful part, depends on the judgment of each person.
AMSimoes

Thanks, Aurelio. Looking at a wikiloc map of the trail, http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2183338, it looks like it veers off the river fairly soon after Santa Comba, but maybe this isn't the right trail. But I think we will head to Santa Comba and just start walking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My new credential just arrived from Ivar today, and I noticed on the map of the Camino Portugues, it shows starting points at Tavira and Faro; is there any guide information available for starting from either of these locations?

Grace, thus is the route I hope to take in September and can't wait to hear your tales and advice! Catherine

Hi Catherine - I have uploaded my notes to the Resource section. Ivar created a new section for the Camino Portuguese Interior.

It was wonderful (very quiet though). Scenery was spectacular, people lovely and great albergues. You’ll enjoy!
Cheers, Grace

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not a problem at all, things happen in life. I'm happy to hear you are well again and traveling. Also, thanks for letting I got me know.

Since that time Alan from Cumbria, UK sent me one with a black and red leather band and a silver colored shell - not the glued on blue and yellow one that may break again. I put that one on the day I received it, but still haven't taken off the original one with the pink. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would love for whatever type you found to be sent. But if not, as I do already have a replacement, so that's I ok also.

Buen Camino and Safe Travels,
Lisa

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back