• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Norte

bofirithe

Hi, I'm walking the northern route in may staring on the 1st. I've previously walked the Camino Francais, 3 years ago. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? I've read a lot on it but haven't spoken to many people who've actually done it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Norte is a fantastic camino, I walked it in May/June last year and loved it. It is however very different from the Frances, and can be more challenging with longer days, less choice of where to stay and lack of cafes at a time and place where you need a coffee. If you think of it as a totally different experience and be open to what comes along, then you have the potential to really enjoy it. The hospitaleros at the alberges are usually well informed as to what your choices are for the next days walking, which often involves a simple choice eg walking 18km of 24km. There tends to be fewer pilgrims, but often a very good bond between them forms, and the camraderie is one of the best things of the camino. Prepare for a different experience, be open to what comes along and just follow the yellow arrows and you'll have a ball. Buen Camino!

:)hi starting on the 5th may from irun myself.good walking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm starting from Irun on 20th May and very avidly reading about others experiences. Keep them coming please! My Northern Camino's guide book is already dog-eared with all my notes. :)

The Norte is a fantastic camino, I walked it in May/June last year and loved it. It is however very different from the Frances, and can be more challenging with longer days, less choice of where to stay and lack of cafes at a time and place where you need a coffee. If you think of it as a totally different experience and be open to what comes along, then you have the potential to really enjoy it. The hospitaleros at the alberges are usually well informed as to what your choices are for the next days walking, which often involves a simple choice eg walking 18km of 24km. There tends to be fewer pilgrims, but often a very good bond between them forms, and the camraderie is one of the best things of the camino. Prepare for a different experience, be open to what comes along and just follow the yellow arrows and you'll have a ball. Buen Camino!

I am from Scotland and would very much like to do the Norte and just wondering if you flew to Biarritz to start the journey. Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Catriona,
I flew from Edinburgh to Stanstead, then from there to Biarritz, arriving early afternoon, and caught a bus from the airport to Hendye, then the local commuter train to Irun. Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. M

Hi Catriona,
I flew from Edinburgh to Stanstead, then from there to Biarritz, arriving early afternoon, and caught a bus from the airport to Hendye, then the local commuter train to Irun. Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. M
Hi M
Thank you for the information, I haven't decided yet what I am doing/going, so may be in touch in the future. Catriona

Last edited:

€149,-
I will have 15 walking days and should be ending in santander... Should i get my flights/bus/train bk to Madrid now or is it easy enough to get a train or bus back when i am at santander?

Hi .im walking the Norte route flying front London Standstead to biarritz on 27th May and setting off on 28th from Irun . Walked the Frances last May and now i am totally hooked. Enjoy and who knows i May even see u along the way.

Walked the CN in '10 and will return shortly. Flying into Madrid, short flight to San Sebastian, then very small bus ride to Irun. The same as 4 years ago. This is a great walk and something entirely different than the Camino Frances.

Keep smile,
Simeon

€149,-
We are in San Sebastian now enjoying food and vino before we head off on the adventure of a lifetime!! A couple of more days to go at the Tryporly Hotel then we are off!
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back