• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino December 2018

Nata2611

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino December 2018
Hi, my name is Nata and I'm planning my first Camino:)
The only period I can manage to go is late November and December 2018.
As winter time, more difficult weather conditions and my first time, I would be very thankful for some useful tips from you that have walked it before.
What to wear, what to take along and is it wise to make the first Camino in that time of year??
(I'm a bit scared of the Pyrenees part!)

Thank you very much;)
Nata

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
is it wise to make the first Camino in that time of year??
Is it wise to make a camino?;)

Winter is a more difficult time to walk. Weather can be bad. You may not encounter other pilgrims on many days. Many accommodations, bars, and restaurants are closed. Have food in your pack. Stores may be closed, so you may have to cook your own meal if the town restaurant is closed. Cafes may be closed, so no coffee. There may not be any mid-stage restaurants open.

So you need to do a bit of planning. Do not believe the websites that list the places that are open. They are not accurate. It is best to phone ahead. Some that are open are only open if you call ahead. Hospitaleros do not sit around waiting for one pilgrim every few days, and may decide to take unannounced vacations!

The same clothing ideas for other seasons apply; plan on layering. Trail walker shoes may be too flimsy and cold. Albergues may have little or no heating, particularly the municipal albergues, which are the ones that are consistently open in winter. You may have to phone to have them opened. With no heat, the inside may be the same temperature as the outside, so take a sleeping bag. So save weight, you may want to sleep in your clothes.

Be mentally prepared to sit out a day (or take a bus for a segment) if the weather is bad. Don't take risks. Snow, ice, and cold can be deadly.

You will enjoy it, but plan and prepare. :):)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it wise to make a camino?;)

Winter is a more difficult time to walk. Weather can be bad. You may not encounter other pilgrims on many days. Many accommodations, bars, and restaurants are closed. Have food in your pack. Stores may be closed, so you may have to cook your own meal if the town restaurant is closed. Cafes may be closed, so no coffee. There may not be any mid-stage restaurants open.

So you need to do a bit of planning. Do not believe the websites that list the places that are open. They are not accurate. It is best to phone ahead. Some that are open are only open if you call ahead. Hospitaleros do not sit around waiting for one pilgrim every few days, and may decide to take unannounced vacations!

The same clothing ideas for other seasons apply; plan on layering. Trail walker shoes may be too flimsy and cold. Albergues may have little or no heating, particularly the municipal albergues, which are the ones that are consistently open in winter. You may have to phone to have them opened. With no heat, the inside may be the same temperature as the outside, so take a sleeping bag. So save weight, you may want to sleep in your clothes.

Be mentally prepared to sit out a day (or take a bus for a segment) if the weather is bad. Don't take risks. Snow, ice, and cold can be deadly.

You will enjoy it, but plan and prepare. :):)

Dear Falcon,
thank you so much on your kind advices!
You mean practically it can happen that you can not find a sleeping place opened for few days?! Wow.
I'll take a serious note for sure and reconsider my planning...deeply hope to find someone to share my adventure with.

Thanks again;)

You mean practically it can happen that you can not find a sleeping place opened for few days?!
No. There will be at least one place each "standard" stage, usually at the end point. Intermediate places probably are closed. You will need to commit to approximately 20 km per day, and may need to feed yourself. Hoteles and some pensiones will be open, but you need to confirm each day.

hello @Nata2611, you have been given good advice from experts @mspath and @falcon269. I have no experience of walking in winter but it does appeal to me and you are courageous to consider doing it for your first Camino. If the Pyrenees stage causes any fears why not consider starting In Pamplona instead. There might also be a better chance of connecting with other pilgrims staying there. Whatever you decide - Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No. There will be at least one place each "standard" stage, usually at the end point. Intermediate places probably are closed. You will need to commit to approximately 20 km per day, and may need to feed yourself. Hoteles and some pensiones will be open, but you need to confirm each day.

Ok, suppose this is r

hello @Nata2611, you have been given good advice from experts @mspath and @falcon269. I have no experience of walking in winter but it does appeal to me and you are courageous to consider doing it for your first Camino. If the Pyrenees stage causes any fears why not consider starting In Pamplona instead. There might also be a better chance of connecting with other pilgrims staying there. Whatever you decide - Buen Camino!

Thanks a lot for the encouragement! Hope not to be courage and stupid at the same time;) If the weather does not suit enough, maybe Pamplona would be the right place to start...thanks again;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As winter time, more difficult weather conditions and my first time, I would be very thankful for some useful tips from you that have walked it before.
What to wear, what to take along and is it wise to make the first Camino in that time of year??

Thank you very much;)
Nata
Hi Nata, I'm heading for a little walk at the end of next week. I love the CdF in winter, there's still enough people around to not feel isolated, but without the crowds. I would only go back there in winter now. I think it's important to be sensible and keep safe, and you can't guess what the weather will be like. But it will still be an enjoyable adventure and loads of fun.

I would agree that starting from Pamplona would be preferable, that's what I'm doing this time. I've done the stages after Pamplona in winter and it was warm and sunny some days, and you would avoid the Pyrenees. I found bars open along the way, and an albergue every 15 to 20 kms. Some times an enforced stay for a day in one place if the weather is bad can be lovely, just chilling in a bar, and reading or chatting is fun. I found this: http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ a reliable guide last time, and I'll use it again this year. Have a wonderful time.

Oh yes, and don't forget the golf club at the top of the hill just before Cirueña, it has amazing food at a very reasonable price and it's lovely to stop have lunch and relax in. The Pension Victoria in Cirueña is a wonderful friendly place to stay and only about 15 Euro, very comfortable. Walking into Santo Domingo the next day from there means a short stage, but great to have most of the day to look around that beautiful city.

Hi Nata
It’s almost 12 months to the day that i started my Winter Camino. I left 13 Nov and finished 17 Dec. 33 days of walking. Great time of year to do the Camino Frances. In 2017, in the main, sunny days, 2-10 degrees C. Snow Roncesvalles and O’Cebreiro. Worst weather (for an Australian) was -8 coming out of Burgos, but never really felt too cold. You will need to go Valcarlos route as Napoleon route will be closed. Use Gronze.com to see which Albergues are open ahead. Bookings.com useful if you want a Hostal or hotel. Cafes and Albergues have wifi so check ahead each night or during the day as you go. Cafes open most days, only 2 or 3 days where we walked the whole day without coffee. We never got stuck for somewhere to stay. About 10-15 other pilgrims out there each day, and never more than that in each Albergues.
You shouldn’t be concerned. The logistics were easily worked out. You won’t be alone, and the weather wasn’t that bad.
Good luck and buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bookings.com useful if you want a Hostal or hotel.
They also list a lot of albergues.

You won’t be alone,
I met 14 pilgrims in 14 days one January, so "alone" is in the eyes of the beholder! It was still a great walk. I had to wait for the plows to clear the road to O Cebreiro.

only 2 or 3 days where we walked the whole day without coffee
There was no coffee between Sarria and Portomarin, and Portomarin to Palas de Rei, as examples of closed facilities! Most other segments have a major stopping point between the "standard" stops, and they had at least one open bar. However, all the usual cafes/restaurantes/bars in villages were closed. I think I am a pretty good reporter on this -- on a camino my first priority is my feet, my second priority is coffee!!;)

With more than a dozen walks that included Leon to Santiago, four of them in the winter, I think I have stopped in every cafe along the way. I vividly remember the dozens of times I rounded a corner approaching a known coffee place and thought , "another one is closed." The feeling of sucking it up and plodding on is ingrained in my stride...:p

Hi Nata
It’s almost 12 months to the day that i started my Winter Camino. I left 13 Nov and finished 17 Dec. 33 days of walking. Great time of year to do the Camino Frances. In 2017, in the main, sunny days, 2-10 degrees C. Snow Roncesvalles and O’Cebreiro. Worst weather (for an Australian) was -8 coming out of Burgos, but never really felt too cold. You will need to go Valcarlos route as Napoleon route will be closed. Use Gronze.com to see which Albergues are open ahead. Bookings.com useful if you want a Hostal or hotel. Cafes and Albergues have wifi so check ahead each night or during the day as you go. Cafes open most days, only 2 or 3 days where we walked the whole day without coffee. We never got stuck for somewhere to stay. About 10-15 other pilgrims out there each day, and never more than that in each Albergues.
You shouldn’t be concerned. The logistics were easily worked out. You won’t be alone, and the weather wasn’t that bad.
Good luck and buen Camino.

Thank you!!

Thank you very much;)
Nata

Hi Nata, I want to go late December, that is the only time I can go! Will you still be around then? I’m planning the last 100km slowly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Nata
There's some great advice above so don't lose heart you'll be fine.
Unless things change, (my idea for a Christmas pilgrim gathering isn't working out) I'll most probably be setting off from SJPDP in the last week of November.
The Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles is mainly road and very doable and from there to Pamplona is only one overnight stop - Zubiri is best. From Pamplona you'll have some climbing but when you get to the top the view is spectacular. Expect rain - or sun - any day - but stay warm.
If you can manage to walk those first two days (you'll arrive on day three) to Pamplona then my advice would be to go for it - there's a wonderful sense of achievement in collecting your full 800 km Compostella upon arrival in Santiago.
I've walked the CF twice this year already, and would happily be your guide and companion for a few days if our schedules permit. Stay in touch.

Hi Nata, I want to go late December, that is the only time I can go! Will you still be around then? I’m planning the last 100km slowly.

Hi, I would be more than delighted;) But, on my way to SJPDP from Berlin, I've been robbed and all my documents got stolen;((( Maybe that's a sign?!
Have you ever walked in winter?

Hi Nata
There's some great advice above so don't lose heart you'll be fine.
Unless things change, (my idea for a Christmas pilgrim gathering isn't working out) I'll most probably be setting off from SJPDP in the last week of November.
The Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles is mainly road and very doable and from there to Pamplona is only one overnight stop - Zubiri is best. From Pamplona you'll have some climbing but when you get to the top the view is spectacular. Expect rain - or sun - any day - but stay warm.
If you can manage to walk those first two days (you'll arrive on day three) to Pamplona then my advice would be to go for it - there's a wonderful sense of achievement in collecting your full 800 km Compostella upon arrival in Santiago.
I've walked the CF twice this year already, and would happily be your guide and companion for a few days if our schedules permit. Stay in touch.

woow, thanx a lot! this would be more than great...but, only when I do my documents, 'cause i got robbed on my way to France...;((((((

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So sorry to hear that Nata - hope you have enough funds to survive until you get your documents back.
Although I have heard of a few unlucky experiences, the Camino is generally very safe - just be careful and streetwise in the big cities - much like any travel I guess.
When do you think that you'll arrive in SJPDP ?

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.