• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte 4/29/22 start

MaryStella

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
We will be starting our Camino in Irun and are very excited. Hoping for good weather and not too much rain. Hope to meet some of you on the Camino!
We are flying from JFK to Barcelona, then a few hours later will fly to San Sebastián. Then will bus or taxi to Irun. I wonder if we will need an additional Covid test before flying to San Sebastián?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome Mary Stella;
As of right now, no you won’t need a test to get from Barcelona to Irun. Generally the trend is toward keeping tests for people who need them because “in transit positivity rates” have been so low that mandatory testing was pulling tests away from community use (for people who were actually sick). Will that trend change? I don’t see how it could right now with the variants we have, with their general expression in the population, and with the inability of a single test to tell us much. The technology os testing is unlikely to change in the next month….
*COULD* policy change? Sure. But my comments here are meant to take some worry out of the situation for you.
Me? I’m taking 5 pre-loaded tests with me, and 2 telehealth tests (in case they are required again for my particular arrangements. Right now I don’t need them, but I‘m a ‘better safe than sorry’ sort). You might look into such tests (telehealth RT-LAMP is what you want to look for). But if you can tolerate a “wait and see” approach, using current requirements as your benchmark… well that’s fine too.
I am to arrive first of the month on the Norte. And by the time you are starting out I will be coming into my final days heading S/SW into Santiago.
If you would like, send me a DM and I will try to keep you posted on places that are open, closed, thriving, soggy (I have seen mud trails on camino that nearly sucked my boots off my feet!)
Buen camino,
Faye

Welcome Mary Stella;
As of right now, no you won’t need a test to get from Barcelona to Irun. Generally the trend is toward keeping tests for people who need them because “in transit positivity rates” have been so low that mandatory testing was pulling tests away from community use (for people who were actually sick). Will that trend change? I don’t see how it could right now with the variants we have, with their general expression in the population, and with the inability of a single test to tell us much. The technology os testing is unlikely to change in the next month….
*COULD* policy change? Sure. But my comments here are meant to take some worry out of the situation for you.
Me? I’m taking 5 pre-loaded tests with me, and 2 telehealth tests (in case they are required again for my particular arrangements. Right now I don’t need them, but I‘m a ‘better safe than sorry’ sort). You might look into such tests (telehealth RT-LAMP is what you want to look for). But if you can tolerate a “wait and see” approach, using current requirements as your benchmark… well that’s fine too.
I am to arrive first of the month on the Norte. And by the time you are starting out I will be coming into my final days heading S/SW into Santiago.
If you would like, send me a DM and I will try to keep you posted on places that are open, closed, thriving, soggy (I have seen mud trails on camino that nearly sucked my boots off my feet!)
Buen camino,
Faye
Thank you so much for the information!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome Mary Stella;
Buen camino,
Faye
I am also interested in any info you have along the way as all going well, I will be walking from Irun, towards the end of May. I don't know how to send you a DM :) Thank you.

I am also interested in any info you have along the way as all going well, I will be walking from Irun, towards the end of May. I don't know how to send you a DM :) Thank you.
Hi there! Mouse over my bug "F" green circle; you will see a "start conversation" option. Click that.
Hope you will have a great walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mary
I also will be walking out of Irun on the 29th. I hope to see you on the trail.

If you have time Hondarribia is well worth a visit even just for a few hours. In fact you can begin the Norte from either Irun or Hondarribia. It is waymarked from both towns and the paths merge within the first few kms. The first time we were on the Norte, we arrived in Irun, and walked over to Hondarribia in the afternoon then back to Irun for overnight. The next two times, we stayed in Hondarribia and started from there. 😎

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.