• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte - April 2024

mb4869

Time of past OR future Camino
April / May 2024 - Camino del Norte
H,i, I'm new to this forum and and plan to do my first Camino (Del Norte) starting on 24 April in Irun. My aim is to do the walk in 31 days but following all of the coastal alternatives, I have also planned in 3 days contingency. Has anyone completed the route in this timeframe that can recommend stages, places to stay etc. I would like to stay in Albergues where possible. Any other advice on travelling this time of year would also be appreciated.

My flight arrives in Biarritz late afternoon on 23rd April and the bus doesn't get into Irun until around 9PM, will the municipal Albergue still be open and can i book in advance, if not can anyone recommend some other accommodation to book?

Thanks in advance
Mark

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The albergue in Irun closes at 10pm, and does not accept reservations. You can find other accommodations in Irún on Gronze.

BTW, Gronze divides the Norte into 36 stages from Irún, not including all the coastal variants, so your plan may be a bit optimistic. Some of the Gronze stages are short enough to combine. I have completed all stages in 33 days, but not with all the coastal variants.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@trecile , excuse my ignorance but 38 days seems to make for some awfully short days ( only 21km on average). I haven't looked at this camino yet, is that because there's so much elevation or is it because of the distances between some of the towns?

The albergue in Irun closes at 10pm, and does not accept reservations. You can find other accommodations in Irún on Gronze.

BTW, Gronze divides the Norte into 38 stages, not including all the coastal variants, so your plan may be a bit optimistic. Some of the Gronze stages are short enough to combine. I have completed all stages in 33 days, but not with all the coastal variants.

Thanks for the info Trecile. May need to have a rethink or miss a few of the alternate routes?

@trecile , excuse my ignorance but 38 days seems to make for some awfully short days ( only 21km on average). I haven't looked at this camino yet, is that because there's so much elevation or is it because of the distances between some of the towns?
I have edited my post. Gronze actually has 36 stages from Irún, and 38 from Bayonne.
I think that some short stages are just because if the distances between towns.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mark, I will be starting from Bilbao on April 25th. Being a really slow walker you will most surely catch up to me. Say hi if you see me. My backpack will be full of patches so thats how you might recognise me from the back.

Buen Camino
Hi Milena, i'll keep an eye out for you. Buen Camino

Thanks for the info Trecile. May need to have a rethink or miss a few of the alternate routes?
I have edited my post. When I was glancing at the number of stages on Gronze I forgot that they start in Bayonne, which adds two days.

Whether or not you can do it in 31 - 34 days depends on your level of fitness. It's doable for someone in good shape that's accustomed to walking long distances.

The stages are really based on two things: lack of villages to make all the stages the same length or so and elevation changes. I’ve walked from Bayonne to Bilbao and it’s definitely a different beast than the Frances. Not overly difficult, just more physically challenging. To do it in 31 days (with variants) is definitely not for everyone, but certainly it can be for someone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
H,i, I'm new to this forum and and plan to do my first Camino (Del Norte) starting on 24 April in Irun. My aim is to do the walk in 31 days but following all of the coastal alternatives, I have also planned in 3 days contingency. Has anyone completed the route in this timeframe that can recommend stages, places to stay etc. I would like to stay in Albergues where possible. Any other advice on travelling this time of year would also be appreciated.

My flight arrives in Biarritz late afternoon on 23rd April and the bus doesn't get into Irun until around 9PM, will the municipal Albergue still be open and can i book in advance, if not can anyone recommend some other accommodation to book?

Thanks in advance
Mark
I did the Norte. My intenerary, albergue list, is in my blog. Towards the end. I didn't write much compared to the Frances.

danscaminotravels.wordpress.com

I did the Norte. My intenerary, albergue list, is in my blog. Towards the end. I didn't write much compared to the Frances.

danscaminotravels.wordpress.com
Hi Dan,

I’m doing the CDN September 2024. Your blog will be a good read.

I note that you did >150 miles by transport. Any specific reason you missed out these stages ?
Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Others have made useful contributions. I have done the del Norte several times (good mix of pilgrims, good seafood, the occasional beach, etc) and would suggest that you take very seriously the challenges of the first week-- the first day, and the stretches from Deba, are very demanding. A simple count of kilometres will be misleading. Take your first week at a measured pace and do not rush it. You may find that Elfen Gonzalez' youtube series will give you a good visual of the route-

As far as Irun is concerned, I have stayed at the Alcazar (63€) and the Aitana (70€). I have long recommended breaking your first day with a stop in San Juan de Pasaia (if the albergue is full, Sna Ione may still run a very nice B&B quite close by +34 685 47 57 35)-- there is now a hotel (Donibanea 67€) by the harbour quay rather than heading on to St Sebastian, but tastes vary.

You will not find the same numbers of albergues on the del Norte that you will on the Francese, so use your Gronze and plan carefully. As the numbers of bunks are limited, be prepared for the reality of taking a room in a pension or hostal every now and then. Don't worry about it-- you'll have a great time.

About what everyone attests are the difficulties of this route: is it the constant ups and downs, long steady climbs, quick and steep descents, actual rock climbing with unsure footing, or all of the above? I'll also be there in late April - a very slow walker taking short stages with my own backpack. Thanks!

Hi Dan,

I’m doing the CDN September 2024. Your blog will be a good read.

I note that you did >150 miles by transport. Any specific reason you missed out these stages ?
Cheers
No specific reason. Probably tired and wanting to make sure we made it to SDC.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2019 I wasn't ready to stop in Aviles so early in the afternoon. So I walked on 5 km to Salinas and had a nice cold beer. But it was uphill from there and suddenly I WAS tired. Providentially at the top of the hill was San Martin de Laspra Hostel. A fabulous albergue with a great hospitalero. Gronze shows it is still open. Buen Camino

About what everyone attests are the difficulties of this route: is it the constant ups and downs, long steady climbs, quick and steep descents, actual rock climbing with unsure footing, or all of the above? I'll also be there in late April - a very slow walker taking short stages with my own backpack. Thanks! Log in

About what everyone attests are the difficulties of this route: is it the constant ups and downs, long steady climbs, quick and steep descents, actual rock climbing with unsure footing, or all of the above? I'll also be there in late April - a very slow walker taking short stages with my own backpack. Thanks!
Yes. Up and down, especially stepping downhill at irregular intervals. It's the only one of four routes on which I "cheated" using public transport because of effect on knees that first week. As a point of comparison I had no problem at all with the Primitivo or any other route before or since. If I were to do that part of the Norte again I'd stop at San Juan and not wear myself out the first day. Even though it would make a short leg to San Sebastien that segment is among the most difficult. And then take it slower to Bilbao if needed.

Yes. Up and down, especially stepping downhill at irregular intervals. It's the only one of four routes on which I "cheated" using public transport because of effect on knees that first week. As a point of comparison I had no problem at all with the Primitivo or any other route before or since. If I were to do that part of the Norte again I'd stop at San Juan and not wear myself out the first day. Even though it would make a short leg to San Sebastien that segment is among the most difficult. And then take it slower to Bilbao if needed.
Super helpful—thank you. I am planning on short (and some really short!) stages instead of taking zero days. At age 72 and for my 4th Camino I’m also OK with using pub trans now and then. Thank you again.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I were to do that part of the Norte again I'd stop at San Juan and not wear myself out the first day. Even though it would make a short leg to San Sebastien that segment is among the most difficult. And then take it slower to Bilbao if needed.
I wanted to spend more than just a few hours overnight in San Sebastián, so arriving there from Pasajes de San Juan around 11am was perfect. I had booked in at a pensión where I was able to leave my backpack at reception until my room was ready, so I had time to explore the city unburdened.

For lunch in San Sebastian try the chili at the Yellow Deli in old town. Then, too many good dinner options around town. Buen Camino
Did you know that the Yellow Deli is owned by the Twelve Tribes cult?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, but, I didn't know the rest of the story! I walked with a very nice man from the family that owned the deli. And ate the chile. Did not swallow the cool aid.

Lots of great Basque food options in San Sebastian! Buen Camino

BTW, Gronze divides the Norte into 36 stages from Irún, not including all the coastal variants, so your plan may be a bit optimistic. Some of the Gronze stages are short enough to combine. I have completed all stages in 33 days, but not with all the coastal variants.

How do I find the coastal variants please?

Did you know that the Yellow Deli is owned by the Twelve Tribes cult?

Please, guys. No religious comments. It's everyone's own choice!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks in advance
Mark
Hello Mark. My wife and I walked from Irun to Villaviciosa last year commencing on 28 Apr and then turned onto the Primitivo to walk to Santiago de Compostela. We had walked three Caminos previously (the Camino Frances; the Via Podiensis and the Via Francigena, but only from Great St Bernard's Pass).

The Del Norte and the Primitivo are definitely more physically challenging than the Frances and some sections that looked like they would be easy turned out not be e.g. Castro Urdiales to Laredo and Laredo to Noja, because the coastal tracks became sodden and very slippery after only a few days of rain - to the extent that we ended up heading inland towards older sections of the Del Norte for a few days. That said, we didn't regret a minute of the time we spent on either of the routes.

Buen Camino

I have done all or part of the Norte several times. I had to abandon it the first time due to shin splints. I finished it the following year.

These are the stages from those two Caminos.

View attachment 163947
Thanks Trecile, very useful. If i aim for 33 days it gives me two days to spare. I am fit for my age am experienced in mountain / hill walking in the past. I am currently walking 15 -20km everyday and will be stepping up my training next month.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I quite agree. Getting to San PASAJES nearly polished me off. Definitely stay there for a night

Thanks in advance
Mark
Hi Mark, have a look at Bus 3 from Bayonne to Hendaye which stops at airport. Arriving opposite Hendaye main train station you walk back up to smaller station for short train journey to Irun, second stop. It is then a short walk to albergue. Another option is to walk across bridge into Spain and continue to albergue,see mapy.cz for fast or tourist Camino route.
Another possibility, but too late in evening for you, is to stay on bus until Hendaye Grande Plage and walk to get shuttle boat over to Hondarriba.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Thanks in advance
Mark
Hi mark, I will be 2 days in front so u may catch me up. Hopefully c u there. Helen

Thanks in advance
Mark
Buen Caminol. You have chosen the best Camino and enjoy. Buen Camino.

Thanks in advance
Mark
I've been looking at the Norte as well over the last few days. A couple of things I've gleamed as I've not done this one before. There are a few hostels in Biarritz. One option you could consider would be to fly in and then take it slooooowwwwwww (you may be knackered and hanging around for 5 hours for a bus ain't going to help), book in local and avail yourself of French cuisine in the evening, relax, then get a bus / or walk / or use blahblahcar and set off the next morning. Personally, just for fun, you could also hitch from their airport down to the border, or you might also think about a taxi - you are only 30kms away, 30 - 40 mins in a car, so maybe not outrageously costly, and of course you may also meet someone doing the same as you at the airport and could share a taxi. Have a look at the airport and local facilities on Google Maps, it's all very close!

Regarding timings. Is this your first long distance walk? If so, you might consider building up distances over the first week. Aim to walk 4 or 5 hours the first few days, then keep adding 30 minutes to an hour over 10 days. Over 800kms has to be a marathon not a sprint. I've done a few Caminos and two had to be cut short within 10 days, once with a foot injury and once cos of a back strain - over excitement leading to overdoing it in the first week and doing myself a mischief!

On that note, if you don't already, you might also want to look at warming up stretches in the morning, but most importantly, after you have stop walking in the afternoon. It's so important to warm down for 15 minutes and reset the muscles.

Who knows - may see you out there :) . Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You could bus into Bayonne for accommodation and start the Camino from the Cathedral with requisite Credencial stamp. I will do this in September

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.