• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino difficulty

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
My mom thinks what I plan to do is great but she thinks I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. My dad thinks I'm being stupid, that there's no reason to do the camino and I'll probably just end up dead. I watched "The Way" with my parents and he got the idea because the first thing that happened is that Emilio Estevez's character died in a storm.

My mom wants me to talk to the daughter of a quilting buddy of my grandma, because said daughter said it was grueling. So honest opinions, for someone who is not one of those people who make walking/hiking a lifestyle, how difficult is the camino, both in France and in Spain? Maybe I can convince them that I'm not going to die along the way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My mom thinks what I plan to do is great but she thinks I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. My dad thinks I'm being stupid, that there's no reason to do the camino and I'll probably just end up dead. I watched "The Way" with my parents and he got the idea because the first thing that happened is that Emilio Estevez's character died in a storm.

My mom wants me to talk to the daughter of a quilting buddy of my grandma, because said daughter said it was grueling. So honest opinions, for someone who is not one of those people who make walking/hiking a lifestyle, how difficult is the camino, both in France and in Spain? Maybe I can convince them that I'm not going to die along the way.

How old are you?
There are people in their 80's, women, walking alone with no problems.
There are so many pilgrims walking, you will never be alone unless you want to be.
There are groups you can walk with.
There are probably support groups in your area - meet-ups, walking groups, etc.
And there is a boatload of information on this forum that will help prepare you.
There is another great documentary to see that is playing around the country,
called "Walking the Camino" and here is a link to it:
http://www.caminodocumentary.org

Grueling?
I don't know… maybe on very short occasions.
But for the MOST part, it's just one foot in front of the other...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would it comfort you father if he were to understand that The Way is a fictional account that pulls together a range of possible but otherwise highly unlikely scenarios for the dramatic purpose of engaging the audience?

Tens of thousands walk annually, perhaps not without some drama, but I suspect none with all the drama of The Way.

How old are you?
There are probably support groups in your area - meet-ups, walking groups, etc.

I'll be 31 when I do the camino. I've been trying to walk more but with winter coming, shorter days, bad generally staying at school until 4:00 at least, it hasn't been easy to get outside much. Unfortunately, there aren't any support groups in my area. I'm in western Kansas, and the closest group of American Pilgrims I've found is north of Denver. Denver itself is about 6 hours away, so unless I take a weekend to visit my aunt or cousins I won't be able to participate in the meet-ups. I have no illusions that it would be easy, but I think after the first few days I would get more or less accustomed to the walking. I've walked a bit in France before so I somewhat know what trails can be like, even if I wasn't on one for more than 3 hours at a time.

Plus, I figure the camino will help me get in shape anyway. I read somewhere before that you should train a bit, but you shouldn't "walk the camino" before you walk the camino. Does this sound reasonable, or should I work on being in really good shape to start with?

Plus, I figure the camino will help me get in shape anyway. I read somewhere before that you should train a bit, but you shouldn't "walk the camino" before you walk the camino. Does this sound reasonable, or should I work on being in really good shape to start with?
The camino won't be very forgiving if you don't have reasonable basic fitness. If you read the back stories of those who say 'don't train' you will generally find they are maintaining a pretty reasonable level of basic walking fitness, and are not closing a big gap. If you are regularly walking moderate distances (10-15km) then upping your distances gradually and adding weight to your day pack might be enough. My basic approach is to walk most days for around an hour, and do a longer walk on both weekend days, then have a rest day. In the last couple of months, I increase the distance of my longer walks and load up my day pack a little more.

Regards,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree with Annie and Doug - the Hollywood movie The Way is a nice enough movie to see for a dose of inspiration but Walking the Camino : Six Ways to Santiago is probably a more honest account of walking the camino today. At the very least watching this movie you get an account of the camino from six different people, all of it honest - I have met most of the actors in this movie and know the producer.

Without understanding how you are ( not that it really matters that much) I crossed paths with an young American woman who had started in Le Puy France and walked all the way to Santiago. From all accounts she was having the walk of a lifetime.

Plan to spend 8 - 9 weeks walking this distance.

In eight weeks, plenty of things can and will happen, both good and maybe not so good. There is bound to some drama some days, days of fun other days, and days of struggle whereby you might wish you were somewhere else. You will meet loads of interesting people from diverse backgrounds, cultures and countries. You will experience different foods, and drinks and different customs and a whole bunch of things, too many to cover here.

I am not aware of 8 weeks course in university or college that will give you this much bang for your buck.

Overall, you probably have an experience of a life time that money can not buy. It will hopefully give you some insight into one of today's modern and most inspiring journeys. What happens each day, and how you respond to it each day, will mostly depend on you because at the end of the day, the camino is really about your camino, your journey.

You start as one person and become another person at the end, which is really what all good journeys are about.

I do not believe the Le Puy to Santiago should or could be completed in 8 weeks
56 days
28 each ??
Very doubtful with the towns of Conques,Figeac,Moissac, the valley before Cahor and their historic villages.

The village of St JPDeP etc on the spanish side.

If you have not 70 days to walk GET 70 days.
A long way to travel and walk and then not be able to answer simple questions ;
What was Saint Cirq-Lapopie like ?
Did you stay in Figeac when the Mercado was in full swing , etc etc.

Biloute , the greatest advice we were given was by an old man , 78 years of age who had walked from Mt Blanc / Geneva to Santiago and then Muxia

** If you start like an old man you will finish like a young one.
If you reverse this simple advice mate you will have a struggle on your hands.

Slow early , take in the french culture and experience this wonderful old way of life.
We found the french side more picturesque than the spanish and the solitude wonderful.
You will have many with you at night , not si much during the day in France.........Spain ........thats a different story.

Unfortunately I won't be able to take much time to see the sights. I teach, so I have a very limited window during the summer when I can go. We don't really have three months' vacation. It's more like 2 1/2. The calendar for 2014-2015 hasn't been posted yet, so I can't say for sure how much time I'll have, but I will also be getting my own classroom next year and I'll have to take a week or two to set it up.

Thornley, what makes the marché in Figeac so interesting? I've seen markets in France before and find them very interesting, but unless I was going to be there on the right day anyway, I wouldn't go out of my way to see one.

I haven't yet figured out all my reasons for wanting to do the camino, but being a tourist is not one of them. As much as I love seeing the sights and experiencing the culture, the journey itself seems more important to me at this time.

I am not aware of 8 weeks course in university or college that will give you this much bang for your buck.
Speaking of which, I've thought of trying to do something that would get me graduate credit / professional development for doing the camino. My research online, however, has not been all that fruitful. I am not willing to pay thousands of dollars for a camino study abroad experience with a group, which would not cover the entire length I want to do. But I haven't been able to find enough information about courses for those study abroad experiences to see if one of the state universities would be willing to put together an independent study course for me that would be affordable. I know it's off topic, but does anyone have any suggestions?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Unfortunately I won't be able to take much time to see the sights. I teach, so I have a very limited window during the summer when I can go. We don't really have three months' vacation. It's more like 2 1/2. The calendar for 2014-2015 hasn't been posted yet, so I can't say for sure how much time I'll have, but I will also be getting my own classroom next year and I'll have to take a week or two to set it up.

Thornley, what makes the marché in Figeac so interesting? I've seen markets in France before and find them very interesting, but unless I was going to be there on the right day anyway, I wouldn't go out of my way to see one.

I haven't yet figured out all my reasons for wanting to do the camino, but being a tourist is not one of them. As much as I love seeing the sights and experiencing the culture, the journey itself seems more important to me at this time.

Speaking of which, I've thought of trying to do something that would get me graduate credit / professional development for doing the camino. My research online, however, has not been all that fruitful. I am not willing to pay thousands of dollars for a camino study abroad experience with a group, which would not cover the entire length I want to do. But I haven't been able to find enough information about courses for those study abroad experiences to see if one of the state universities would be willing to put together an independent study course for me that would be affordable. I know it's off topic, but does anyone have any suggestions?

When my wife and I walked the Le Puy route in France back in 2011, we came across a group of Rice University students " walking " the route for about 2 weeks as part of their course material. Not sure if the walk alone would apply towards any credits but I am sure there is the odd university offering something along these lines.

Come to think of it when I came across another group of American university students doing more or less the last 100 kms to Santiago - but again not sure what the details of this walk meant in the grander scheme of things with respect to their credits

All these things wrote say something about your parents, doesn't sound like stimulating people...
About your own question how difficult it is: the only person who can make it difficult or easy is yourself. No one HAS to walk a certain amount of km's a day. Do 10 of that is right for your body, or 40 or anything in between, You are free! Just listen to your body and get rid of the messages in your head about what you should do.

You will be fine.

How old are you? It sounds as though you are pretty young - or that your parents are treating you as though you are! It's not gruelling at all, and I am in my late 60s! It's a pretty easy walk, and about the safest place in Europe. Stick with other people as you go over the pass to Roncesvalles, and you won't die in a storm. As for "in France" which route do you intend to take? However, do get some longer practice walks in or you'll possibly get blisters. Or use the early stages as training and do shorter days until you're fit.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Biloute,
You actually have 70 days with your 2.5 months leave so please use them.
If the school can't spare a day or two either side of your walk then take a sickie .
If you were really sick i am very sure the classes would continue.
The cemetery is full of people who thought they were irreplaceable.

The sights you talk about not seeing are actually on the camino , its just that many people use these days as their short walk .
They arrive early and discover the village/ city/town. They catch up with the normal things the french/spanish enjoy in daily life and shun the robotic routine.

We walked , leaving very early, from Livinhac le- Haut to Figeac , around 26km and booked into a wonderful hotel on the bridge [Le Pont d' Or] .
The day was still young so off to the market.
We sat down and had a beer and prawns .........we were given a free beer and a plate of squid ....no words spoken except enjoy.
We started to buy the cherries and other fruit that are very very cheap and were given other items for no charge...enjoy
We sat down just outside the square and saw other pilgrims smiling at us.........the same happened to them.
It seems that the manager of our hotel gave the nod to the vendors ......pilgrims on the GR.

We discussed this with others in the weeks following and they laughed......they were given the same with the words * for your courage * in the sentence.

Start avoiding negative people Biloute as this trait will become very obvious on the camino's.
Trust yourself , plan without any crap attached and just go out and enjoy.
People once thought the world was flat mate.

You will have the best wishes from all on the forum

Hi Biloute,
It seems that basically your mom think's its a fantastic idea. But she would feel even better if you had a little more hard data.....and by joining the forum you've not only started that process but in a way that will get you more info from a greater variety of pilgrims than speaking to one pilgrim alone (but skyping that lassie, and/or or someone in the Denver group and having a chat is a possibility that would put the cherry on the cake for your mom). Just how far you 'drill down' into the vast range of camino material and resources is up to you-I find it an enjoyable part of my planning but am not a complete map head;). Anyway now you've started 'Camino foraging' your mom should be happy and getting happier the more information you gather (but-and don't tell her this-part of the joy of pilgrimage is that one is open, or becomes open, to being 'unprepared' and going with what is presented to you en route)
Your dad is scared-really scared and it's fear of the worst kind. Fear for someone else-someone you love very much-doing something he hasn't done/experienced. Your dad can't control the situation, he can't fix the unknown, he can't even "call a guy" who can. Like every dad he just want's to fix/help/remove danger, bed bugs, cold, wet, heat etc etc. The good news is he can help you........ he just hasn't figured out how yet. Give him a bit of time and think about what he's really good at and how he could become a Camino resource for you.
I found that my husbands projected 'camino nerves' about my 1st Camino were substantially reduced once he'd sourced the best (I don't mean one of the top 10 or even top 3 I'm talking about THE VERY BEST WALKING POLES IN THE UNIVERSE for me) this task, and the resolution of number of other 'highly important technical issues', were extremely beneficial to both of us......... in more ways than he knew:D.
Stephen now is quietly proud of his "auld gals penchant for hitting the road" and, on occasion, has been heard reassuring a nervous partner/husband/wife/parent/children that their partner/wife/husband/child/parent will be just fine (but shssssss don't tell him I know that)

Last edited:
1. Try not to be too harsh with your parents. One of their main jobs is to worry about you - that's what we (my husband and I have four children) do for people we love. If you've never done anything like this before, you can't blame them for being a little skeptical.

2. In the movie, "The Way," the first thing that happens IS the son is killed on day one of his Camino. Although it is quite uncommon, it does actually happen. Don't let your parents find this out. People walk off cliffs, get hit by cars and trucks, etc. Sounds like you won't have the heart attack problem but that happens, also.

3. You are a teacher so you know the importance of being prepared, physically and mentally. By joining this forum, you are taking a very important and proper first step. It's not necessary to drive for hours to meet with people. That's what this forum is for.

4. Instead of spending your time driving, spend your time walking. Walk, walk, walk. As a teacher, you spend alot of time on your feet. Now, get out and move. For me, one of the challenges in preparing was facing the hours of walking solo with no one to talk to. Don't worry, you will meet lots of people who will motivate, inspire, assist, guide, and comfort you on your journey. You will never be "alone." Unless you want to be.

5. If your parents were willing to watch the movie, "The Way," with you, find some other movies to share with them. I'm talking about videos on the internet that pilgrims have posted. These videos are non-fiction and give a true account of personal experiences on the Camino. You and your parents may find comfort, beauty, and motivation from the experiences of others.

6. It sounds like I'm about the same age as your parents and I walked the Camino solo a few months ago. If you think it will help, let them know they can private message me and I can give them my perspective and answer their questions/address their concerns.

7. Of course, let me put in a plug for my blog!

Welcome to the Forum and Buen Camino!

Kathy

PS - Sorry for all the dangling participles and infinitives in the above.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Look at the EVIDENCE. Over two hundred thousand pilgrims have made it up the stairs of the Pilgrims Office this year.

Look at the EVIDENCE. Over two hundred thousand pilgrims have made it up the stairs of the Pilgrims Office this year.
I looked that up for my dad. He doesn't believe it. After all, why would people be so crazy to walk 500 miles (or even 50) for nothing? ;)

Hi biloute, you are 31 years old, you have to make up your own mind on this. You can try to reassure your parents of how safe the trip is but in the end the decision is yours, it would be different if you were under 18. There is enough information on this forum to cover all aspects of the Camino, get them to read through it. If you have walked in France before then you know what its like.
Make your decision and if you decide to go have a great Camino, which you will.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As a 76 yr old woman who completed the journey this past June, I would say it is challenging. Going with a 22 yr old granddaughter was the delight of my life and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Yes, some days I wondered if I would make it over the next hill but at the end of the day as one is sipping a cerveza and chatting with everyone, you forget you just walked 15 miles and that tomorrow you will get up and do it all again. Although I was with my granddaughter we each walked our own walk and would meet for lunch and at the end of the day! Those young legs could go a lot faster than mine!

Here is a link to an article on the same group of students we met in France in the Spring of 2011
(I recognize some of the students in the photos including one I am still in contact with).

We also met both profs Deb and Linda.

http://news.rice.edu/2013/04/25/path-of-knowledge/

You might want to contact them and ask if they can offer any advice on the course, etc.

You can mention that a Canadian couple that walked the Via Francigena in Italy and then wrote a book about their experience directed you to them.

Regards

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As a 76 yr old woman who completed the journey this past June, I would say it is challenging. Going with a 22 yr old granddaughter was the delight of my life and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Yes, some days I wondered if I would make it over the next hill but at the end of the day as one is sipping a cerveza and chatting with everyone, you forget you just walked 15 miles and that tomorrow you will get up and do it all again. Although I was with my granddaughter we each walked our own walk and would meet for lunch and at the end of the day! Those young legs could go a lot faster than mine!
That sounds great! I'm glad you were able to go. My mom's been considering attempting part of the journey with me, but neither of my parents are in the best shape. You're about the same age as my dad, so maybe he'll feel a little better. I might give him a task of finding the ideal tent for the expedition.

The problem is that I'm the baby and sometimes my parents still treat me as such. It just gets to be annoying, though I go ahead and do what I'm going to do anyway.

Biloute, in relation to Wonzi it is better than sounds great, it is great.
The lady DID walk the 800km.
As i had previously said , the people offering my wife and i on going slow were 78 then and had walked from Geneva before we met them.

To be a bit hard and to get you motivated on your dreams we have a saying in our family;
Those who can't teach............. those who can .......DO

PS
Now sit back and watch what i receive for that little bit of advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All these things wrote say something about your parents, doesn't sound like stimulating people...
About your own question how difficult it is: the only person who can make it difficult or easy is yourself. No one HAS to walk a certain amount of km's a day. Do 10 of that is right for your body, or 40 or anything in between, You are free! Just listen to your body and get rid of the messages in your head about what you should do.

You will be fine.

ThIS ( what Thomas says above) is going to be my approach next year……

I got divorced 9 yrs ago ……. and I have lived out of my comfort zone and blossomed ever since… why /how??… because I did MANY things people told me not to do/ that I thought I couldn't do……. I now do not put constraints on myself ( even if my head tries to ) ……..
Sso on the Camino I will take my time…. listen to my body rather than my mind/or the minds of others……. if I run out of time so be it and then I shall return . I will rest when I need to rest and walk as slow as I need to especially in the first week. BUT I will NOT miss out on going just because it will be difficult or because of real or imagined fears ( mine and others)

Will I be ready??? I would say almost certainly not. BUT I have learnt that if I wait until full "readiness" for anything than I would never have done anything with my life.

I also must add that I have two daughters in their twenties who are adventurers …( I dont mean mountain climbing etc)…. I mean willing to go outside their comfort zone. AND yes as their mum I do worry of course. BUT I had to go outside my comfort zone in order to allow them the same right/priviledge/ experience/growth (or it may have been the other way around)….. that has been an important lesson… when one grows/ challenges themselves etc they give permission/inspiration to others to also overcome their own fears :)

Annie

Last edited:
Biloute, I think you should just up and go if you feel for it.

And surely, it is no walk/stroll in the park on some stretches – not for me at least, I will say (but already an elderly lady at the time). But when I then – before going – vented my reservations on the forum of whether I would be fit enough, a member kindly told me that she started out – rather unfit – in some sneakers she borrowed from her daughter …

So I bought a flight ticket, thought I could just abort at any time, buy a few more clothes and just having a vacation in Spain. But lo and behold, I carried my backpack all the way to Astorga before my time ran out – much to the immense surprise of my sons. I still wish to return. – But for me it was more the journey that mattered than the end goal.

annelise

See my earlier post, and I think it would be great if one or both of your parents joined you for at least part of your Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Here's one alternative approach, not for everyone. Discard all ideas about finishing, achieving and so on. Walk a little bit till you are tired, then stop. Or stop just because you like the place you have arrived at. If you feel like spending a lot of time in a place like Conques, just do so. Do not feel obliged to stay in gites if you prefer other accommodation. If the people you are with on a certain day want to go faster, let them go. There will be other people. Of course, if you feel like a big hike, then do that. (Too big? There's always the rest day, a very underrated institution.)

It's a good idea to be a bit fit, in case you need to go a long distance unexpectedly - but does it really matter if you get to the end when your holiday or visa are up? Of course, it may matter very much to some, but does it matter to you? I did my caminos not caring if I was granted a compostela and not caring where I paused. I don't know why I didn't care: I just didn't. For many people, finishing within a time frame and receiving a certificate are important. So it is wonderful that those options are open for them. My ambition was to be in France Profonde, on the Way of Saint James. It still is. (Regordane + Arles next time?)

The above advice of mine may be useless to those who feel that doing and attaining certain things are essential to the tradition and spirit of pilgrimage. Also, if you want steady companionship my come-and-go approach is not a good fit with that need. All I can say is that I have loved my caminos and have met whole troops of people whom I will never forget. I also feel that my sluggish approach has still brought changes in my subsequent life. Saint James still gave me those little nudges, as he does for so many.

I certainly don't think these ideas are good for most others, just for some few. When people in France asked me if I was a pilgrim, I would say I was half a pilgrim and half a tourist. They seemed to like that. And this brings me to something I am a bit more definite about.

Beware the conveyor belt mentality. Nobody likes to be seen as a thoroughfare. Whether you speak French or not, be well and truly in the place you have come to. Doors will open.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back