• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino do Mar by Mera

Caminogoat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, El Norte x 4, Primitivo, Porto, Madrid, Ingles
I had been walking the Notrte, but had skipped a lot of segments after Deba. To me Irún to Deba is breathtakingly beautiful and exciting, I enjoy every step. But after Deba, I had walked only my favorite segments. I arrived at the Playa de Peñarronda (4 kilometers before Ribadeo) the day before yesterday. I have not been posting anything since the war between Israel and Palestinians broke out. I had walked feeling somber and sad. I have been and am praying for peace.

Yesterday, I started Camino do Mar. I will post my daily experiences in short sentences for those who never walked this Camino. It’s my first, too. My initial impression is that it is like walking between San Sebastián and Deba but on flat land. It is so beautiful and easy that I never took a break during the first 10 miles or so until I arrived in Rinlo. I used Wikiloc and the Google map. I don’t know if there are any exclusive Camino do Mar apps out there. Does anyone know? This albergue located right after crossing the bridge to Ribadeo is kind of a starting point. When I found a pension room with an ocean view (walked 16.56 miles from the Playa de Peñarronda). I stopped. The only downside is that there is no WiFi. I will post more photos tomorrow when I hopefully find a room with WiFi.

Attachments

• IMG_3493.jpeg
    IMG_3493.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,090
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The pension I stayed was clean but had a bare minimum, basic things only. The restaurant food was good. The view from the room was beautiful, but when I went to the beach, I saw a scary warning that made me put my shoes back on immediately.

Attachments

• IMG_3534.jpeg
    IMG_3534.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3537.jpeg
    IMG_3537.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3614.png
    IMG_3614.png
    315.7 KB · Views: 55
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Today’s route toward Burela was not as beautiful as yesterday’s. It was because I had to walk inland in a U shape, hugging the river. You can walk along the beach until you see Foz right across the ocean, but there is no ferry to cross you. Without a ferry, it is a long detour. A lot of paved road. A bit hilly at times. I tried to attach some photos but the WiFi is so slow that I gave it up. I quit a little bit before Burela, about 22 miles today.

It's a beautiful camino and as it is one less populated than the Norte, you have time to appreciate the peace and the view. It's even better when the sun is out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I didn’t actually climb the rock to find out if the chair was comfortable and the view was worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_3585.jpeg
    IMG_3585.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
Last night I ordered soup and a “small” steak. The waitress told me to order a“small” one instead of “regular “ one. She was right. Here is the photo of the “small” steak and soup. What’s up with that big bowl of soup? They do this in Cantabria and Galicia. You can have as much as you want from this huge bowl.

Attachments

• IMG_3622.jpeg
    IMG_3622.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3621.jpeg
    IMG_3621.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have never picked anything from a tree or vine except some wild berries. BUT, this was different. A lone survivor from being harvested. All its compatriots are in a wine barrel somewhere. I said: “no more worries about being forgotten because I would love you to death”.

So juicy and sweet!

Attachments

• IMG_3635.jpeg
    IMG_3635.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As I was arriving in San Ciprian, I noticed a mass amount of housing complexes, which is rare in small towns in Spain.

Attachments

• IMG_3648.jpeg
    IMG_3648.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
I struck a conversion with a local man. Among other things he said that the aluminum factory is polluting everything. One can see it’s huge chimney from miles away. I asked him if he meant the dark water in the river, but he said it’s in the air. In fact, I was noticing a strong smell resembling an electrical fire. The man said with a great sadness: “with a progress, pollution came”.

Attachments

• IMG_3651.jpeg
    IMG_3651.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3652.jpeg
    IMG_3652.jpeg
    944.4 KB · Views: 11
Even with more than 40- minute walking, I couldn’t get away from the smell and I was feeling sick to my stomach. I called a cab and that transported me to lovely Viveiro within 20 minutes. The hotel had a lovely room, an Indonesian restaurant next door, and a laundromat across the street. What a welcome sight!

Attachments

• IMG_3666.jpeg
    IMG_3666.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3661.jpeg
    IMG_3661.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3677.jpeg
    IMG_3677.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I almost died, happily, from this bottle of chili powder. They weren’t kidding about the heat it can generate. I loved it so much, I had to buy a bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_3684.jpeg
    IMG_3684.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3688.jpeg
    IMG_3688.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Buen camino, Mera! I'm happy to follow along.

put my shoes back on immediately.
If these guys are the same as the ones in the Pacific, they pack a painful sting, but are not 'poisonous.' They just burn like crazy. As kids we used to pop the bubbles of the ones on the beach, and never got stung by the washed up ones - but in the water is another matter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You are making good progress. Viveiro is a lovely town with the river running through it. Shame about the weather which is moving northwards.

This was Viveiro on 3rd December last year. Much warmer I'd think

Attachments

• Viveiro.JPG
    Viveiro.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
You are making good progress. Viveiro is a lovely town with the river running through it. Shame about the weather which is moving northwards.

This was Viveiro on 3rd December last year. Much warmer I'd think
Yes, it has been raining on and off for the last 5 days. Did you use an app for this Camino? I didn’t find any. I am just wondering around on Wikiloc and Google.

Yes, it has been raining on and off for the last 5 days. Did you use an app for this Camino? I didn’t find any. I am just wondering around on Wikiloc and Google.

I usually use OpenStreetMap but I can't see any specific routes past Viveiro. There is the Ruta del Cantábrico which criss crosses the other routes but that only goes as far as Ladrido. At Ladrido you could take the FEVE train to Ferrol. Ortigueira, a few miles further, has far more connections with Ferrol though.

Ladrido/Ortigueira is a decision point. Past there the accomodation gets more difficult and the routes less well signposted. Perhaps the others who have done this route this year could jump in with some comments.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just going back to my notes, you can continue from Ortigueira on the Camino de Santo André de Teixido. Map is here but the accommodation issue remains. There is a very nice but pricey AirBnB in Santo André de Teixido.

When you get to Santo André de Teixido you can follow the Camino in reverse to Ferrol or Neda.

Walked variable surfaces. Today’s trail to O Vicedo was tranquil and beautiful. Especially the last 7 miles were so beautiful that I hoped to return someday again. Well that wish came true inadvertently so soon in the evening.

Attachments

• IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3723.jpeg
    IMG_3723.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3726.jpeg
    IMG_3726.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3711.jpeg
    IMG_3711.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3725.jpeg
    IMG_3725.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 14
I took a break when I arrived in San Roman around 12:40 pm. It’s below that huge cross and right next to the beautiful beach on the above map that shows today’s trail.

Attachments

• IMG_3732.jpeg
    IMG_3732.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3770.jpeg
    IMG_3770.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I left without a breakfast this morning thinking I will get lunch somewhere. Guess what? It’s a rural area with not much to begin with. On top of that all the restaurants in the vicinity were closed, their regular off day. I survived on candies. As I arrived in my final destination around 4 pm, O Vicedo, I had a sinking feeling. The town looked abandoned. No one was around and restaurants looked permanently closed. I started calling hotels and pensions listed on Google. They all said they were closed for two weeks. A lot of places in Spain close for a couple of weeks right after the big holiday on 10/12, the day they celebrate finding America. They claim Spaniards, not Columbus, found America because Spain funded the discovery mission. I found one apartment but they refused to rent it to me just for one night. I found one hotel in San Roman. It’s by the beach that you see on the map above, 8 miles back where I rested around 12:40 pm. Furthermore, it’s in the area where all the restaurants were closed. I had to wait for a store to wake up from the siesta, usually at 5 pm, bought a bunch of foods and called a cab who also needed some time to wake up from her siesta.

Attachments

• IMG_3744.jpeg
    IMG_3744.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 10
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I sat by my backpack waiting for my cab driver to wake up. After being on the road for two weeks with just 2 sets of clothes, by now I look semi homeless. The store patrons kept looking at me as they go in and out, wondering whether they should offer me some food or not. So I stood up and started taking photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3749.jpeg
    IMG_3749.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
The hotel was a brand new. Lovely and impeccable. I was the only guest in this 14-room boutique hotel. The owner said I could pick any room I wanted for the same price, 85 Euros. After seeing 7 rooms up and down the stairs, I picked this room with a balcony on the second floor.

Attachments

• IMG_3754.jpeg
    IMG_3754.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3762.jpeg
    IMG_3762.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3771.jpeg
    IMG_3771.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3765.jpeg
    IMG_3765.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I woke up yesterday with a tooth/gum pain and my left cheek was slightly swollen. Driven by a guilt, I thought of the grapes I took (a.k.a.stealing) the other day. I ate them without washing: perhaps they were the Grapes of Wrath!
I immediately googled for a dentist in the area. The nearest city where I could find a dentist was Viveiro. I called 5 dentists but couldn’t get a same-day appointment. I took a cab to one of the offices thinking it would be hard to say no to person’s face. To my big surprise, when I explained my situation, the dentist slammed the door on my face, didn’t even bother to say “no way” or “over my dead body”. I am not sure if she was angry because I showed up without an appointment or she thought I was asking for a free treatment. Or there’s something wrong with my face. I walked out thinking some highly educated professionals (regardless of their nationalities) are less sympathetic toward others than general Spanish public I encounter during the Camino. I started calling again and one told me to come in. Another big surprise when I got there was that this office was right across from the hotel I stayed. Do you remember the one that had an Indonesian restaurant on the right and a laundromat across? The office and the laundromat was physically joined together. Wow, the beautiful hotel, not the Camino, provides! After an x-ray, the doctor said my gum infection was not a serious one. He drained it (too much detail?) and prescribed antibiotics. I checked into the same lovely hotel I enjoyed staying so much, and spent the rest of the day walking around the city end to end. Two days ago, I reluctantly left this lovely city without getting to know it better. Now my tooth granted my wish come true. All’s Well That End’s Well! By the way, I hope not but if you are ever in need of a dentist in or near Viveiro, here is the name of the dentist. I have to go back for a follow up today. After that I am traveling to Santiago, leaving the Camino do Mar to another time. It’s been raining for a week every single day (on top of that it’s extremely windy now) since Ribadeo and I need a change of scenery. Perhaps spend a couple of days eating Korean food in Santiago and then head out to Muxia. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3838.jpeg
    IMG_3838.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3794.jpeg
    IMG_3794.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
Glad you got your tooth sorted and you've probably made the right decision to take it easy. FEVE will take you to Ferrol where you can get a train to SdC. It's a very pleasant journey especially when the alternative is getting soaked through.

This Camino is underdeveloped as caminos go so it takes a bit more pre-planning if you want to go past Viveiro. But I think it is worth it.

Glad you got your tooth sorted and you've probably made the right decision to take it easy. FEVE will take you to Ferrol where you can get a train to SdC. It's a very pleasant journey especially when the alternative is getting soaked through.

This Camino is underdeveloped as caminos go so it takes a bit more pre-planning if you want to go past Viveiro. But I think it is worth it.
Yes, you are exactly right about everything that’s going on here. Especially with hotels closing for 2 weeks, it will be difficult. Thank you!

I had been walking the Notrte, but had skipped a lot of segments after Deba. To me Irún to Deba is breathtakingly beautiful and exciting, I enjoy every step. But after Deba, I had walked only my favorite segments. I arrived at the Playa de Peñarronda (4 kilometers before Ribadeo) the day before yesterday. I have not been posting anything since the war between Israel and Palestinians broke out. I had walked feeling somber and sad. I have been and am praying for peace.

Yesterday, I started Camino do Mar. I will post my daily experiences in short sentences for those who never walked this Camino. It’s my first, too. My initial impression is that it is like walking between San Sebastián and Deba but on flat land. It is so beautiful and easy that I never took a break during the first 10 miles or so until I arrived in Rinlo. I used Wikiloc and the Google map. I don’t know if there are any exclusive Camino do Mar apps out there. Does anyone know? This albergue located right after crossing the bridge to Ribadeo is kind of a starting point. When I found a pension room with an ocean view (walked 16.56 miles from the Playa de Peñarronda). I stopped. The only downside is that there is no WiFi. I will post more photos tomorrow when I hopefully find a room with WiFi.
I look forward to your posts as I hope to do that Camino next spring.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try Gronze

There doesn't seem to be a separate section for this Camino but some of the comments there led to this

It's in Spanish but you can right click for a translation. There has been recent growth in interest and if you are a foodie, there is a special annual pilgrimage. There is an email address if you want to sign up for details for 2024.

Last edited:
I look forward to your posts as I hope to do that Camino next spring.
I had a medical emergency when I reached O Vicedo. I had to go back to Viveiro for treatments. Spent 2 days there and then came to Santiago. I will stay here for a week or so before I fly back home. I have been doing my own Camino in and around Santiago, Wikiloc has many lovely trails in and around Santiago including some parts of Camino Muxia and Finistere. My observation of Camino do Mare: very lovely scenery, lovely locals, not well marked, no dedicated app available but Wikiloc will do, not much Camino infrastructure but hotels are readily available if you can avoid that 2-week closedowns after the big holiday. Hotels were booked until 10/15 and then they close down for their own vacations. It rains a lot in October and November. I got rained on every day for a week. Incidentally, if you pronounce “O vicedo” it sounds like “even if the rain leeks into” . I am a Korean 🤣

Last edited:
If the weather's improving, you might consider going out to walk up Pico Sacra. Near enough to Santiago that there's public transport to where you walk from - Lestedo, on the Sanabres/Invierno. On a fine day I'd be tempted to bus out, walk to the summit, then come back to Santiago along the Camino. It's one of the nicest entries to the city of all the caminos.

Directions from a blog account of the walk:
From the central bus station in Santiago de Compostela, go to the Castromil ticket office and ask for the next departure for Lestedo—it shouldn’t cost more than a couple of euros. Go downstairs to the main hall and hop on the blue-and-yellow Monbus bus (same company, different name), ride for about half an hour (watching the signs carefully), and get off on the side of the highway in Lestedo, a parish of the Boqueixón municipality.

From the bus stop, it’s not hard to find your way—just look up for the mountain and start hiking, generally in a northerly direction (to the left from the highway). There are a couple of signs here and there that will direct you up.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If the weather's improving, you might consider going out to walk up Pico Sacra. Near enough to Santiago that there's public transport to where you walk from - Lestedo, on the Sanabres/Invierno. On a fine day I'd be tempted to bus out, walk to the summit, then come back to Santiago along the Camino. It's one of the nicest entries to the city of all the caminos.

That actually was my plan for tomorrow. For sure I will do this all the more now. Thanks 😊

I agree with you. I did that part in reverse after visiting Mercado de Abastos de Santiago.

That actually was my plan for tomorrow. For sure I will do this all the more now. Thanks
Wow, fantastic (I hope that link worked...)! Pics and let us know how it went, pretty please. Hoping your tooth feels better....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will stay here for a week or so before I fly back home. I have been doing my own Camino in and around Santiago, Wikiloc has many lovely trails in and around Santiago including some parts of Camino Muxia and Finistere.
I’m sorry to learn that you had to cut your camino short. Your accounts are always so fun to read! But you seem to have taken this all in stride, good for you, @Mera.

I can suggest two short walks in Santiago itself. One is the Sarela path, which you get to by following the Muxia route till you cross the little river. At that point, the camino goes left, and you go right. It’s a little green oasis a stone’s throw from busy roads and apartment buildings.

The other would be to walk up to the Cidade de Cultura, which is a complex of buildings made of many different materials, with many different angles and curves. My first reaction was that it would be an awfully good spot for skateboarders! Sometimes there are interesting exhibits in one of the buildings. It’s at the top of a hill and one way to get there starts near the church at Sar (also worth a visit, IMHO).

Enjoy your time in Santiago.

I’m sorry to learn that you had to cut your camino short. Your accounts are always so fun to read! But you seem to have taken this all in stride, good for you, @Mera.

I can suggest two short walks in Santiago itself. One is the Sarela path, which you get to by following the Muxia route till you cross the little river. At that point, the camino goes left, and you go right. It’s a little green oasis a stone’s throw from busy roads and apartment buildings.

The other would be to walk up to the Cidade de Cultura, which is a complex of buildings made of many different materials, with many different angles and curves. My first reaction was that it would be an awfully good spot for skateboarders! Sometimes there are interesting exhibits in one of the buildings. It’s at the top of a hill and one way to get there starts near the church at Sar (also worth a visit, IMHO).

Enjoy your time in Santiago.
Yes, I saw these on Wikiloc. Thank you for always being so kind. I always feel like you, VNwalking, and a few others have my back. Thanks 😊

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back