• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Mera on the Norte

Caminogoat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, El Norte x 4, Primitivo, Porto, Madrid, Ingles
Arrived in San Sebastián last night. Unlike in 2021, it was difficult to find a lodging. All the places I stayed and liked before were fully booked (they said until 10/15). Found a room at Casa Nicolasa, in old town, at a “discounted price” of $156.66; the bed was very comfortable but the bathroom was not so clean. I am not sure if they have cleaned anything since the photos they posted on Booking.com were taken. The tiny room was cramped with everything together. I admit a well stocked store next door is a great plus. The weather is warm but still pleasant. I am waiting to start my first day of Camino, since 3:00 am this morning due to the time adjustment issue. Have a great day everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_2891.jpeg
    IMG_2891.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1,208
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Arrived in San Sebastián last night. Unlike in 2021, it was difficult to find a lodging. All the places I stayed and liked before were fully booked (they said until 10/15). Found a room at Casa Nicolasa, in old town, at a “discounted price” of $156.66; the bed was very comfortable but the bathroom was not so clean. I am not sure if they have cleaned anything since the photos they posted on Booking.com were taken. The tiny room was cramped with everything together. I admit a well stocked store next door is a great plus. The weather is warm but still pleasant. I am waiting to start my first day of Camino, since 3:00 am this morning due to the time adjustment issue. Have a great day everyone.
That’s weird because BOOKING shows several albergue type accommodations available for tonight (Oct 5).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Started walking along the La Concha very early. Some people were already out; walking and jogging. I saw a cafe named La Concha and thought it would be nice to get their stamp. Not open yet and only the cleaning people were there. After a polite smile and greetings I timidly asked for it. One of the ladies went to the counter area and found it after searching everywhere. How nice of her!

Attachments

• IMG_2904.jpeg
    IMG_2904.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2905.jpeg
    IMG_2905.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2907.jpeg
    IMG_2907.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2909.jpeg
    IMG_2909.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The weather is beautiful. The trail is beautiful all the way from San Sebastián to Zarautz but about 5 miles of rocky downhill is a bit cumbersome to navigate.

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpeg
    IMG_2922.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
The highlight of today is this lunch at Berazadi Berri. I love their food so much I think about it all year long. The one that looks like a naked chicken in an elegant pose is actually a monkfish!

Attachments

• IMG_2937.jpeg
    IMG_2937.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2932.jpeg
    IMG_2932.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2938.jpeg
    IMG_2938.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When arrived in Zarauz, I decided to stay here and explore a little. I normally continue to Grtaria but the temperature keep increasing dangerously high. Also there is no shaded route between Zarauz and Getaria. Staying here today. The room has a huge private balcony where I can dry my laundry.

Attachments

• IMG_2945.jpeg
    IMG_2945.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2946.jpeg
    IMG_2946.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2948.jpeg
    IMG_2948.jpeg
I saw quite a few topless or completely naked swimmers. Men and women both. Looked natural and free. A dog was digging to China. There are trails to go back up to where I had lunch. It leads to a campground next to the restaurant. It’s all stairs and going up was quite difficult but arriving to Zarauz this way will shorten the route quite a bid. Plus you will come down to the beach straight, very famous for surfing.

Attachments

• IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2957.jpeg
    IMG_2957.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2961.jpeg
    IMG_2961.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2970.jpeg
    IMG_2970.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2968.jpeg
    IMG_2968.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 20
Today started with drying my socks. No, I am not drying it by wearing it. A hairdryer (a.k.a. Camino Dryer) is wearing it. I walked Zarauz to Deba. I always find this segment irresistible yet most challenging. I took the coastal alternative, which leads me through Xaconeta. I had spent a half day checking out each one the last time. This time I just kept walking while admiring the views but it still took me 9 hours to reach Deba. I had sweated so much that two donkeys came near me started smelling me eagerly, perhaps thinking I am one of their relatives.

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpeg
    IMG_3019.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3018.jpeg
    IMG_3018.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3004.jpeg
    IMG_3004.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3002.jpeg
    IMG_3002.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2998.jpeg
    IMG_2998.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2996.jpeg
    IMG_2996.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3012.jpeg
    IMG_3012.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3011.jpeg
    IMG_3011.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After seeing a sign that showed an angry cow, I soon faced a locked gate that I couldn’t manage to jump over. After searching some time I found a spot where someone before me endeavored to break through. Thank you so much whoever you are!

Attachments

• IMG_3014.jpeg
    IMG_3014.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3017.jpeg
    IMG_3017.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3015.jpeg
    IMG_3015.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 17
By the way, does anyone understand what these signs say? It’s in Basque? I heard that Basque is so difficult it was used in military communications during the World War One.

Attachments

• IMG_3008.jpeg
    IMG_3008.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3009.jpeg
    IMG_3009.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3007.jpeg
    IMG_3007.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 17
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Today started with drying my socks. No, I am not drying it by wearing it. A hairdryer (a.k.a. Camino Dryer) is wearing it. I walked Zarauz to Deba. I always find this segment irresistible yet most challenging. I took the coastal alternative, which leads me through Xaconeta. I had spent a half day checking out each one the last time. This time I just kept walking while admiring the views but it still took me 9 hours to reach Deba. I had sweated so much that two donkeys came near me started smelling me eagerly, perhaps thinking I am one of their relatives.
Hi Mera, thanks for posting these pics. I've not walked the coastal alternative so it's great to see what it looks like. Those rock formations are crazy and wonderful. And what weather!
Buen camino

I don’t like inland walking between Deba and Bilbao, especially walking down the seemingly endless wooden stairs before Munitibar. I enjoy visiting Guernica but not enough to endure going over the Markina Xemein. An arduous walk is worth it only when there is something enticing like Xaconeta. Plus the Simon Bolívar Museum had always been closed whenever I passed it by. It appears they are using it as a village parking spot. This is an attempt to explain why I hopped on a train to Bilbao, jumping over some 80 miles. Not only my sins were forgiven many times over, I haven’t done anything so terrible that I would end up in Dante’s ninth hell since my last Camino. This is my personal and partial opinion. This is Deba train station. A 2-hour slow train to Bilbao. I walked Bilbao to Castro Uridiales and came in very late. I will continue tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3038.jpeg
    IMG_3038.jpeg
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Woke up to post a few things and get ready. Saw news about the war in Israel. My heart goes out to all civilians suffering regardless of which country they belong to. Out of respect and sadness, I am only going to post one thing about the safety related. I found out today that the coastal trail after La Arena is closed by the Guardia Civil. Indeed I was thinking the trail was not maintained well enough to be safe to everyone. It was quite crowded with locals and I didn’t see any sign when I was entering. I only saw the sign as I was exiting on the other side The possibility of getting injured by falling rock(s), broken rails, etc. is real especially when it rains. They closed the gate and posted a sign not to use the trail but it was forced open by someone and locals were free roaming. There were so many people today I never suspected anything was amiss. Perhaps locals have their way but I think we pilgrims should never knowingly disrespect what local/national authorities tell people. Here I am posting the photos for your information as well as your safety.

Attachments

• IMG_3067.jpeg
    IMG_3067.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3073.jpeg
    IMG_3073.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3079.jpeg
    IMG_3079.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3077.jpeg
    IMG_3077.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 21
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.