• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances 2020

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My friend, Elizabeth, and I are planning on starting the CF the middle of June, starting from SJPdP. Its our first camino. Making plans now. Preparing for crowds and heat, ha ha! But its the only time we can go.
You probably won't encounter "crowds" until after Sarria. It's actually quieter on most of the Camino Frances than in May or September.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen camino! As far as crowds go, try to embrace it. This isn't a wilderness hike where you hope to see no one and be alone in nature. Instead, it's a shared experience. The people you meet and interact with along the way will help shape the story of your own camino and might end up being the most memorable part of your journey.

Will the heat be unbearable on the meseta in July? We are thinking of renting bicycles from burgos to Leon. Does the temperature drop off much at night? Just wondering about sleeping. I assume the albergues do not have air conditioning. Any advice is appreciated.

Have walked from Leon in June/July and struck some warm weather in the mid thirties the other side of O'Cebreiro. Good not to get caught with no water.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sarah! Our plan has us just a few weeks behind you. I'm very much in planning mode (something I enjoy), if you ever feel like comparing notes, drop me a line. Had similar concerns re crowds but I know July from SJPDP not quite as busy as spring/fall. Heat - yes that's something I'm trying to prepare for. Buen Camino !

Hi Genevievala,
You are lucky you can start sooner. My friend is in the field of education and we are planning to leave when when her summer begins. I work for my husband, so I have a lot of flexibility. We are thinking of Orisson for the first stop. Also, planning on bicycling the meseta. For the heat I plan to bring a cooling neck tie. It has gel in it that keeps you cool. You have to soak it in water for 30 minutes prior. Helps keep your heart rate down, too. This is our first camino. Is this your second? How many advance reservations do you plan? I was thinking only of St. Jean PIed de Port, Orisson, and Santiago on July 24 and 25th for reservations. Much easier to cancel a reservation sometimes than to get one at the last minute. Orisson makes you pay in advance. I got the reso but I didn't pay yet. Must pay to confirm, but you can't get your money back. You look muy joven. My amiga y yo son viejas! ha ha. yes, i like to compare notes. Do you have any recommendations for ways to get to SJPDP? There are several options. Will probably go with the lowest air fare. buen camino!

Hi Genevievala,
You are lucky you can start sooner. My friend is in the field of education and we are planning to leave when when her summer begins. I work for my husband, so I have a lot of flexibility. We are thinking of Orisson for the first stop. Also, planning on bicycling the meseta. For the heat I plan to bring a cooling neck tie. It has gel in it that keeps you cool. You have to soak it in water for 30 minutes prior. Helps keep your heart rate down, too. This is our first camino. Is this your second? How many advance reservations do you plan? I was thinking only of St. Jean PIed de Port, Orisson, and Santiago on July 24 and 25th for reservations. Much easier to cancel a reservation sometimes than to get one at the last minute. Orisson makes you pay in advance. I got the reso but I didn't pay yet. Must pay to confirm, but you can't get your money back. You look muy joven. My amiga y yo son viejas! ha ha. yes, i like to compare notes. Do you have any recommendations for ways to get to SJPDP? There are several options. Will probably go with the lowest air fare. buen camino!

Hi Sarah - too funny, don't let the fuzzy black & white pic fool you :)

This will be my first camino and I'm travelling with my mum. We are actually going about 2 weeks later than you. I work in education too, so that's why the July departure. Also planning first stop in Orisson though I haven't reserved yet. Once our flights are booked will most likely book SJPDP and Orisson and leave the rest to fate. In my mind I see us figuring out a rough plan each morning and calling ahead to book if we feel we should. I think we'll get a feel for how busy, or not, things are once we're there (and see how we're holding up ;). There are a few special places we don't want to miss so I might book those ahead.

Funny I have one of those gel bandanas from years back. It works quite well, thanks for reminding me about it!

As for getting there - I'm hoping for a January seat sale! I've looked at many many options but keep coming back to Air Canada to Bordeaux (train to SJPDP), return from Madrid. Madrid seems to be one of the only cities you can fly out from in the afternoon - for Vancouver departures most flights leave early so it means arriving night before and I'd like to avoid that. Lots of deals on return tix to Paris but connections lengthy and/or $$$. Love to know what you end up booking!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back