• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances August/September 2014 - Anyone else going?

Catarina Dos Santos

Time of past OR future Camino
August/September 2014
Hello fellow Peregrinos

I am a 28 year old female from Newcastle UK - for the last 2 years I have been planning my first Camino. Sadly my husband is no longer able to join me because he is unable to take the time off. I am therefore planning to undertake this journey solo from St Jean Pied de Port. I have read multiple threads and feel reassured that it will be absolutely fine taking the necessary precautions.

Unfortunately my family disagree with my quest to undertake this Camino. I do not want to start this pilgrimage on the back of a family argument and therefore I am wondering whether anyone will be going between August/September 2014. I appreciate that there will be a lot of people during this time but my family are so distressed by the prospect of me walking alone that it has turned into a compromise. If anyone is going during this time please get in touch!!!

I haven't finalised dates in the event that someone else is going then maybe I could arrange it at a similar time to appease my parents.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello fellow Peregrinos
I am a 28 year old female from Newcastle UK - for the last 2 years I have been planning my first camino. Sadly my husband is no longer able to join me because he is unable to take the time off. I am therefore planning to undertake this journey solo from St Jean Pied de Port. I have read multiple threads and feel reassured that it will be absolutely fine taking the necessary precautions. Unfortunately my family disagree with my quest to undertake this camino. I do not want to start this pilgrimage on the back of a family argument and therefore I am wondering whether anyone will be going between August/September 2014. I appreciate that there will be a lot of people during this time but my family are so distressed by the prospect of me walking alone that it has turned into a compromise. If anyone is going during this time please get in touch!!! I haven't finalised dates in the event that someone else is going then maybe I could arrange it at a similar time to appease my parents.
Hi there .... I'm arriving in London 4 September and plan to start walking from Roncesvalles or Pamplona on the 7th. Hope to see you on the way .... Cheers, Trish.

I walked alone October 2012. You definitely wont be on your own. The people I met on the first day were the same ones I was bouncing between (as well as a lot of newer friends) on the last day. Want time on your own? Sit down for 5 minutes until everyone passes. Wsnt to walk with someone? Sit down for 5 minutes until someone else passes. It's one of the most social experiences I've ever had. Even if walking with a partner a lot of groups split up during the day for time alone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As a parent myself at 66 I am flying from Edinburgh 22/8/14 then Gatwick 23/8/14 arriving SJPP to start out on the 24/8/14. Hope you let your family read the various posts about lone lone walkers to calm the fears they have. All the best and Buen Camino, John.

Greetings,

I will be flying Edinburgh - Madrid on 2nd August, and hopefully starting the Camino on 4th/5th.

I too am starting by myself but part of the reason for me doing the Camino in the first place is to meet new people. As it gets closer and closer I am finding it more and more daunting, but then the excitement kicks in and I just can't wait to get started. This is a great forum full of wonderful advice, and your family will be at ease once they have a look and see the sort of people that you will meet along the way.

Buen Camino!

Hello,
I will be arriving in St Jean Pied du Port (hopefully) on the 30th of August or 31st depending on the train schedule from Barritz.
At the moment I am solo, but thinking that it would be nice to know someone who will also be at St Jean and at least start out together..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Catatina,
We are leaving Sjpdp about August 13. Both my girls are close to your age. Have you made a date yet?

Hello Caterina - I'm starting on the 13th September and suspect I'll be way behind you. I'm also travelling alone. My husband and family share reservations about walking alone but I think I've manage to reassure them that I will have people around me. Hubby says he's still worried but he understands more now. I'm taking a tablet too so I can call and message them every day to stay in touch... maybe you could do this too?

I'm sure you'll have a great time! have you fixed a date yet?

I'm heading out from SJPdP on Sept 8th. Hope to see you all along the way.

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello there
I am starting from SJPDP on sept 6 2014.Orisson same night
I am Canadian but my dear niece lives in Newcastle (Pauline /Vaughn Hemy).i come from London originally.
See you soon ;)

Hello Catarina,
I'm 26.
I will be leaving the U.S. on August 1st from Vancouver international. Spending a night in Paris and taking another plane to PAU. Then taking a train to Sjpdp and hopefully starting my walk on August 4.
I wouldn't have gotten this far in my planning without this forum. Just ask or search on the app. And your questions will be answered.
I happen to be walking on my own as well. And it's my first time traveling in Europe. I have the same questions plaguing my family about traveling on my own and it just comes down to your decision. have fun and enjoy your planning.

Buen Camino

Hello fellow Peregrinos
I am a 28 year old female from Newcastle UK - for the last 2 years I have been planning my first camino. Sadly my husband is no longer able to join me because he is unable to take the time off. I am therefore planning to undertake this journey solo from St Jean Pied de Port. I have read multiple threads and feel reassured that it will be absolutely fine taking the necessary precautions. Unfortunately my family disagree with my quest to undertake this camino. I do not want to start this pilgrimage on the back of a family argument and therefore I am wondering whether anyone will be going between August/September 2014. I appreciate that there will be a lot of people during this time but my family are so distressed by the prospect of me walking alone that it has turned into a compromise. If anyone is going during this time please get in touch!!! I haven't finalised dates in the event that someone else is going then maybe I could arrange it at a similar time to appease my parents.

my son and I are traveling late August to September you are welcome to walk with us .

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Catarina
I'm leaving SJPP on Sept 3. I'm not too sure of your exact day you are leaving. But I'm more than happy to walk some with you. I'm a walker and from Canada.
Coleenk

Hi Catarina
I'm leaving SJPP on Sept 3. I'm not too sure of your exact day you are leaving. But I'm more than happy to walk some with you. I'm a walker and from Canada.
Coleenk

Hello ColeenK
I will be in SJPP on Sept 2nd, will you be there? I would entertain delaying a day just to be able to start out with someone ? I am a walker from Canada (Calgary) as well

Hi DQuinn. I arrive in SJPP on Sept 1. Spending 2 nights their in Beilari ( L esprit de Chemin) I'm from Prince George B.C.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Catarina,
I will start in St Jean on Aug 24 and spend my first night in Orisson. I will also be walking alone. My family has gotten accustomed to my solo wandering a. I'm twice your age. Tell your family that someone double your age is doing it alone. Maybe that will help?

And maybe we can meet each other on the way. Have you decided which day you will start now?

Zola Rose

Mitch237uk-
You are the first person I've seen who will leave on 24 Aug. I will also leave that day, though I will stay in Orisson to allow myself time to adjust to walking at altitude. I'm from the US and live at sea level.

I hope we meet up!

Zola Rose

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Zolarose and Oct2012 Pilgrim,
I will be the old codger with the vango rucksack with the forum badge, so I do hope we speak . I still don't know if I am going passed Orisson, even though I live amongst hills.
Buen Camino

Unless something changes, I will walking the camino with the Friends I've not met yet. Solo Yo.
Ron

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Zolarose and Oct2012 Pilgrim,
I will be the old codger with the vango rucksack with the forum badge, so I do hope we speak . I still don't know if I am going passed Orisson, even though I live amongst hills.
Buen Camino

I will be sure to get my forum patch and sew it on! I'm the white-haired American with the light blue and gray Osprey pack. Probably moving at a snail's pace, ha ha.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all!
I am arriving in Madrid on August 11th, staying the night there, taking train to Pamplona, staying the night there, then going to SJPP on August 13th to start my walk. Hope to meet you along the way!

Greetings from Ireland. I fly to Biarritz on August 27th and travel onwards to SJPP. Beginning the journey on 28th and hope to be in Santiago in 33/34 days. Gerard.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Im trying to plan my second CF, beginning Sept 1, 2014. Looking at airfare from Atlanta to Madrid and back. 44 days total. I did my first CF in 29 days but want to slow down and see more this time. Early stages of planning and not 100% sure yet. Still trying to convince myself, lol

Starting out on 4th Sept..hope to see some of you folks out there.
I'm hoping to meet one forum member already. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello fellow Peregrinos
Hi, Catarina. My daughter and I will be arriving in SJPP on Aug 26 and starting our Camino on the 27th. We will be staying in Orisson the night of the 27th. Like you, my husband was suppose to walk with me but now, due to some medical issues, cannot go at this time. I was going to walk it solo until my daughter asked if she could walk with me. My husband had no reservation about letting me go solo, knowing that you're really never alone on the Camino. Tell your family not to worry, you will have plenty of fellow pelrginos to accompany you. I look forward to meeting you on the Camino.

Im trying to plan my second CF, beginning Sept 1, 2014. Looking at airfare from Atlanta to Madrid and back. 44 days total. I did my first CF in 29 days but want to slow down and see more this time. Early stages of planning and not 100% sure yet. Still trying to convince myself, lol
Ihlyda. I am from the Atlanta area and will be leaving for Spain on Aug 25th arriving in SJPP on the 26th. My daughter will be with me. Maybe we will meet on the trail.

Hello fellow Peregrinos
Hi
It is safer than your home town do not aruge with the family just try and show them how important it is to you, my wife thought I was crazy last year and still thinks I am crazy doing it again this September by myself, you will not be alone or by yourself look on this sit for pilgrims of 2014 and you will find plenty to walk with this from asilly 65 year old Aussie. You are nearly walking in your backyard...
You will be in contact every day with Mum and Dad as the phone and WiFi are good better than Oz.
Trevor

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And I'm another one who will be travelling solo, leaving Pamplona around 31 August or 1 September. It sounds as though there will be quite a few of us travelling solo through August/September.

Hi Catarina, my wife and I, from Victoria, and my wife's friend from Queensland are leaving SJPdP on 23rd August. If you leave at that time we look forward to catching up. We have per booked all our accom though Australia company, RawTravel. Very comforting. We look fwd to saying Buen Camino!

Just booked a flight to Madrid, will arrive August 29. Now to work my way to SJPP. Hope to start by Sept 1. My return flight from Madrid is October 10. Any help with travel from Madrid to SJPP would be appreciated.

Snake

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am travelling solo and this is my first Camino. Leaving SJPDP on 22 August 2014, staying in Orrison for the night. Taking it slow on the first day. Staying in Roncesvalles on 23 August and plan to arrive in Santiago on 26 September 2014. If possible will continue on to Finisterra and Muxia and then take a bus back to Santiago. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,
I will be arriving in St Jean Pied du Port (hopefully) on the 30th of August or 31st depending on the train schedule from Barritz.
At the moment I am solo, but thinking that it would be nice to know someone who will also be at St Jean and at least start out together..

We'll no doubt see you along the way. Leaving SJPdP on 8/29 and spending first night at Orisson. Taking first couple days easy to avoid problems on this first part. MaryEllen&Howard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just booked a flight to Madrid, will arrive August 29. Now to work my way to SJPP. Hope to start by Sept 1. My return flight from Madrid is October 10. Any help with travel from Madrid to SJPP would be appreciated.

Snake
My return trip is also October 10. I fly into O'Hare. But I start on Aug 24. I bet we see each other along the way anyway.

So many pilgrims!
We leave NC on August 14 and Istvan at Corazon Pension will pick us up at the train station in Pamplona on August 15 for the evening and drive us to SJPP on August 16 and we will walk to Huntto that day. Short day to start. Then we have 40 days until our flight home so we will take one day at a time. In September 2012 we walked from Leon to Santiago and then to Finisterre and Muxia. We loved finishing in Muxia.
Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm heading out from SJPdP on Sept 8th. Hope to see you all along the way.

Buen Camino!
Hi Moses
Just a hello from downunder its getting closer even though I am ahead of you by a few days I will meet you as my trip is to go slow and help others on their pilgrimage I learnt last year the importance of smiles and a helping hand so look for me on the way for a wine and along chat.

Trevor

Hi Moses
Just a hello from downunder its getting closer even though I am ahead of you by a few days I will meet you as my trip is to go slow and help others on their pilgrimage I learnt last year the importance of smiles and a helping hand so look for me on the way for a wine and along chat.

Trevor

Trevor look forward to seeing you!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So many pilgrims!
We leave NC on August 14 and Istvan at Corazon Pension will pick us up at the train station in Pamplona on August 15 for the evening and drive us to SJPP on August 16 and we will walk to Huntto that day. Short day to start. Then we have 40 days until our flight home so we will take one day at a time. In September 2012 we walked from Leon to Santiago and then to Finisterre and Muxia. We loved finishing in Muxia.
Buen Camino!
I'll be a few days ahead of you - staying at Corazon Pension too on August 12th! Maybe we will meet up!

Hi Everyone, Been planning my Camino since March this year and will arrive in SJPP on 13th August and head to Orrison on 14th. Only discovered this forum today thanks to a friend in Santiago so have a little reading ahead of me. Hope to meet up with some of you along the way.

Hi Everyone, Been planning my Camino since March this year and will arrive in SJPP on 13th August and head to Orrison on 14th. Only discovered this forum today thanks to a friend in Santiago so have a little reading ahead of me. Hope to meet up with some of you along the way.
Have a Buen Camino!!!! Hope you can read fast, cause there is a lot of info on this forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You'll be a couple weeks ahead of us... will be in Orrison on the 29th. So looking forward to this adventure! Buen Camino

Hello fellow Peregrinos

Hi I'm from just outside Newcastle Catarina and my husband isn't going either. Will be leaving on the 19th from SJPD, you posted this some time ago so I am sure your dates have been set. Please let me know if you are leaving around that time. Thanks Jacky.

As a parent myself at 66 I am flying from Edinburgh 22/8/14 then Gatwick 23/8/14 arriving SJPP to start out on the 24/8/14. Hope you let your family read the various posts about lone lone walkers to calm the fears they have. All the best and Buen Camino, John.
I will be arriving in SJPP on the 13th. Hope we meet!

Mitch, My wife and I are walking the Camino in September and October. When we finish, she will return to the U.S., but I'm going to stay in Europe for a few more week. I'm visiting an Internet friend in Dundee, then back to Edinburgh, and south to Newcastle-Carlisle to walk Hadrian's Wall for a couple of days.
My question would be, will I be freezing cold? I'm looking at the last week in November, with my Camino gear. Two layer rain jacket, wool shirts, hiking trousers and waterproof boots, gloves, etc. I'm guessing little chance of snow, right?

Have a Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jen! I'm 27 and will be leaving Atlanta on Aug. 10 for Bordeaux. I plan to start the camino from SJPDP around Aug. 12. Hope to see you and your girls! Buen Camino!
I'll be arriving and departing SJPdP on August 13th. Maybe our paths will meet!
Judy

Hello fellow Peregrinos
Hi Katrina, I am also starting the Caminio for the first time and solo. I'll be starting in SJPDP on September 10th. Have you confirmed dates? Susan

Hello fellow Peregrinos
My Partner Diane and myself will leave SJPP on the 22 August 2014. :)

We'll be out there - my wife and I - late August and early September between Logrono and Leon. Sounds like there will be loads of people to meet and chat to on the way! :)

Leaving for the airport shortly to fly to Barcelona and be in SJPP on Saturday. We don't anticipate being on the boards, but if interested you can follow us at http://edandjoanscamino.blogspot.com

We are hoping to be between heavy traffic.
Buen Camino and perhaps we will see one of you on the Camino!

Time has really flown Mitch! I'm still starting Aug 24 just like you. I'll see you at Orisson!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi my name is Richard from Australia. I will be starting the Camino at SJPD on the 2nd Sep. I trek to Burgos then a train to Sarria to finish in Santiago. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to do the while Camino. Cheers Richard

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

Hello fellow Peregrinos

Hi Catarina,

Hope you get this message before you leave for the Camino, back in 2010 when doing the St James. I saw and met many females on there own, don't worry you will be fine and meet many others along the way. Most of the walkers look out and after each other, so you will be very safe. The path is easy to follow, if you take a wrong turning just ask one of the locals,but then again that wont happen will it.

Tell your Family not to worry,you will be ok, I am hoping to go back for a second trip in 2015, its a life changing journey.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.