• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances from Astorga

Lredmond99

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Astorga
Hi, I'm from Canada and will be walking the Camino Frances from Astorga to Santiago starting around March 19th, 2019. It's my first time walking this route.

Any first timer tips?
Any first hand experience of weather on that route at that time of year?
On the same route around that time?

Lisa

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I'm from Canadian and will be walking the Camino Frances from Astorga to Santiago starting around March 19th, 2019. It's my first time walking this route.

Any first timer tips?

Lisa

most likely rain, and chilly in the mornings. your second stage will be tough, up to foncebadĂłn and even tougher coming down the mountain - pace yourself.
Buen Camino

Plan on light snow at elevations above 700 meters ASL. This is especially true at Cruz de Ferro...through May...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Take the first day easy is my advice.

i started from Astorga on a bright Sunday February morning and at the end of the day had a huge blister on each foot !! Pushed very hard the first day to Foncebadon as the Albergue wasn`t open in the valley till 3.

Worst decision ever---by the time i reached O Cebrerio I was in bits !!

So start easy and walk yourself into The way

Take it one step at a time. Listen to your body. Astorga is a very cool city. You will be in Galicia who knows about the weather. I have walked sunny warm skies, rain and snow and wind all in late October as I always walk around the same time of the year and usually get to Galicia around October 20th or so. So you never know in March so be ready for everything and don't worry about anything. You are a pilgrim. You get up, you eat, you walk, and you sleep. Thats all the advice you need.

Hi, I'm from Canadian and will be walking the Camino Frances from Astorga to Santiago starting around March 19th, 2019. It's my first time walking this route.

Any first timer tips?

Lisa
Buen Camino Lisa.

This is a favourite CF section of mine.You will love it.

My main advice is for the stage from Rabanal to Molinaseca . You will have two significant DOWNHILL sections firstly the decent into El Acebo followed by a knee jarring decent to Molinaseca . About 4kms after El Acebo you will come to Riego de Ambros and the decent from here all the way into Molinaseca requires concentration ESPECIALLY if it is raining and slippery underfoot. Take it slowly with plenty of stops and resist the temptation to take photos as you are moving (I speak from experience !! ) .

Travel safe and well.
P

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Any first timer tips?

I'm sure you've done your homework and know when the albergue at La Faba opens. If closed you will have an interesting stretch from Las Herrias to O Cebreiro. I had a lot of empathy for the livestock grazing in the valley that extended to my right: it was one of the few times I encountered them since leaving Le Puy.

Closer to Astorga I was dreading the descent into Molinaseca. I had been told of the rubble strewn descents and wished to avoid them. I had gone up and down the road several times using StreetView, noticed almost no vehicles, and suspected the few taht were on the road were not going very fast. So intended to take that route. In the event I got a case of Delhi Belly at Leon and almost fainted at Astorga Cathedral two days later. So took a hotel room and bused to Ponferrada.

At the approach to Tricastela I took to the path (I usually walk roads) as it was said to be 3 km shorter than the road. I didn't appreciate the steepness of the descent one little bit. But I did survive.

After Tricastela I routed through Samos and so walked the road to Sarria.

Kia Kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Any first timer tips?

Lisa
Hi Lisa - This is my favorite section also, except perhaps for the Pyrenees, and Astorga is probably my favorite of the larger towns also. All the stages have their good points, of course. I had developed a foot problem and had done some shoe surgery just to get through those days (and was worried about that part after LaFaba), and so pushed the easy button for the stretch between Las Herrerias and La Laguna. If you find yourself in a position of needing NOT to do that stretch, it's easy to walk the N-VI from where the Camino turns off that road and goes to Las Herrerias (the N-VI is a smaller road with very little traffic, and runs parallel to the SuperHighway, so you can't really get lost) up to Piedrafita do Cebreiro. From there you can either walk the LU-633 across to Do Cebreiro or push another easy button and stop at the tienda at the start of the LU-633 and get the number for Ana Rodriguez' taxi service from the door (or choose from 2 other taxi services listed). I rode with her back down to La Laguna, as had a reservation at the delightful Albergue La Escuela. That made the next day easy. My bunkmate, a strong-looking young Dutch girl, came in crying she was so spent, so, as others are saying, go slowly and maybe plan a very short km day during that stretch if you have concerns.

Best wishes for a wonderful Camino and happy planning! It's coming up soon.

I just got back last week from Leon to Sarria. The albergues in El Acebo and Cacabelos were listed on Aprinca as open but were actually closed so you may want to check better than I did. :eek: Also there was a little frozen moisture on the slate after Riego de Ambros I almost busted on. El Bierzo was one of the most beautiful places I have ever experienced! Unfortunately for me I had a windy, rainy climb to O Cebreiro and the fog made visibility non-existent. Still an awesome feeling to hit the Galicia marker at the top. You should have better luck with the weather and albergues in March and you're gonna love it! Give us a report - I still haven't made it to Santiago. 🤞

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just a couple of thoughts
Walk at your own pace, its easy to try to keep up with others. Many will have been walking for weeks, give your body time to adjust to the pace and rhythm of the Camino
Rabanal is lovely - one of my favourite villages.
Take care from Cruz Ferro to Molineseca the trail is rocky and tricky, be careful with your footing.
Molineseca is a picturesque village - I wish I spent more time there.
It's worth the detour to Samos, the walk there was beautiful, probably the nicest of the Camino - and the Monastery is impressive.
Staying in some of the smaller places is rewarding.

Any first timer tips?

Lisa
Be prepared for rain.

Take it easy, be prepared for rain and in Astorga try a "Cocido Maragato" in the restaurant "Casa Maragata". The restaurant is in the square just in front of the public albergue. And don´t forguet to bring a stone from Canada! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This one - unfortunately for me it was closed when I passed through a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• A3E174EE-61F1-4DC2-9F58-42546D74C6EF.jpeg
    A3E174EE-61F1-4DC2-9F58-42546D74C6EF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
It was cold and snowy for me last year In April in the high parts after Astorga and a lot of us skipped parts of the trail and did roadwalks. YMMV. I recommend visiting the cathedral in Astorga as they stay open fairly late.

Hello Lisa! I'll be there around the same time. At the moment I'm planning to leave from Astorga around March 15th. First timer also! I'm prepping for rain and unpredictability too, reading all the great advice here, but keeping fingers crossed also : )

Hi Melissa, perhaps we'll connect along the way. I think trying to push my dates to leave a bit earlier but you will likely be a day or two ahead of me. Buen Camino!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That would be lovely! It's getting closer : )
Best of luck with the planning and Buen Camino!

Like others, this is my own particular favourite section. So much so, I am setting out from Astorga on March 15th - my 5th time! It's a personal thing, but various ingredients in the "mix" tick all the boxes for me.

The weather is as always the biggest variable - I had some snow last February - but as long as you have clothing and gear to cover wet/cold possibilities and exercise caution/wisdom if things become "extreme", then you'll be fine.

After SdC I plan to head back to Leon and walk the San Salvador and Primitivo Routes, which will be new for me.

It's a wonderful section...Enjoy, Lisa!
Chris

Like others, this is my own particular favourite section. So much so, I am setting out from Astorga on March 15th - my 5th time! It's a personal thing, but various ingredients in the "mix" tick all the boxes for me.

The weather is as always the biggest variable - I had some snow last February - but as long as you have clothing and gear to cover wet/cold possibilities and exercise caution/wisdom if things become "extreme", then you'll be fine.

After SdC I plan to head back to Leon and walk the San Salvador and Primitivo Routes, which will be new for me.

It's a wonderful section...Enjoy, Lisa!
Chris
Thanks Chris......in my planning I arranged for more time and am now starting from Leon. Looking forward to experiencing this new adventure and hopefully taking on further routes in the years ahead.

Lisa

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back