• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances - from Astorga

MelissaOb

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: Astorga to SdC (2019)
Camino Frances (2021)
Hello everyone. I will be leaving from Astorga around March 15th. I'm going between super excited and ever so slightly terrified very regularly at the moment. Talking to friends who have walked and reading all the advice here is helping greatly. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Please do let me know if you will be on the road around the same time!

Also I'm Irish and my favourite current pastime for the next few weeks is weather watching ; )
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will reach the summit at Cruz de Ferro after about a day and a half. It is the tallest point on the Camino and I have seen snow on mountains nearby in the spring and fall. So make sure you ask about the conditions when you get to Rabanal. Check out the Stone Boat.

Hello everyone. I will be leaving from Astorga around March 15th. I'm going between super excited and ever so slightly terrified very regularly at the moment. Talking to friends who have walked and reading all the advice here is helping greatly. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Also I'm Irish and my favourite current pastime for the next few weeks is weather watching ; )
Buen Camino

Hi, Melissa and warm welcome to the Forum :)

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Buen Camino

Hi Melissa
I agree - such excitement arises with the planning and then I get ambushed with fear. Sorry I won’t meet on the road as I’m starting late April but just want to wish you Buen Camino and
send you a quote by William Ward that’s in John Brierley’s book. You could Google. .. first line is:
To laugh is to risk appearing a fool
...last line ...Only a person who risks is truly free. All the best, Mary

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I suggest you read, learn and inwardly digest the wise words from @davebugg above.

I would add "descents" and "ascents" and suggest you know where they are and how to cope with them The search funtion is very useful for this.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Melissa - I covered part of that stretch in January. I'm not sure what will be open in March but between Santa Catalina and Rabanal I was very hungry. First bar on the left as you see Rabanal but haven't gotten to the main part of town I had a coke, a coffee and a great ham and cheese omelette (tortilla de jamĂłn y queso). Your two big climbs will be to Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiro. Everything in between is El Bierzo, a high bowl surrounded by mountains on all sides. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! If you choose the river route after Villafranca del Bierzo it looks the whole time like the only way out is over the mountains but you just keep winding and winding along the river without really climbing much. Don't forget to look back at Villafranca down the river with mountains rising on both sides. The waters running through Ambasmestas are delightful and you may want to stay with Sabine and Uli at Das Animas there - great dinner and breakfast and they are so nice! Have a big snack in HerrerĂ­as before climbing O Cebreiro- you'll need it. Treat yourself to a souvenir in O Cebreiro - there is a great gift shop there. Don't take the alternate route out of O Cebreiro unless you want to climb some more - I did it by accident in brutal fog, rain and wind.

Most important to remember- you are going to love every minute of YOUR Camino! Yours will be unlike any other, no two are alike. You will be tired and frustrated at times but it's worth it to push through. You will be so proud of yourself and all the little things we take for granted will be so appreciated like a little rest, warm food, a bunk bed. And I've never met a pilgrim I didn't like. One of my albergue hosts said it best "we've been doing this for 2 1/2 years and we've yet to meet the first son of a b#%^* on the Camino".

Buen Camino!

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and your time and such great advice. I will be reading, learning and inwardly digesting all your wise words. I've seen mention in threads that the journey starts as soon as you make your decision to go and it does feel like that at times!

I'm very thankful that I get to have this experience : )

You will reach the summit at Cruz de Ferro after about a day and a half. It is the tallest point on the Camino and I have seen snow on mountains nearby in the spring and fall. So make sure you ask about the conditions when you get to Rabanal. Check out the Stone Boat.
I will most defintely do a weather check at that point. And the Stone Boat looks rather special too. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Melissa and warm welcome to the Forum :)

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
Thank you for such a welcome and such practical advice re managing the jitters! I am going to do 1. tonight and keep it with me! This forum is pretty amazing : )

I suggest you read, learn and inwardly digest the wise words from @davebugg above.

I would add "descents" and "ascents" and suggest you know where they are and how to cope with them The search funtion is very useful for this.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)
Ah yes those two parts are the ones I will get to know as much as I can about beforehand - especially that the descent can be just as difficult! I will be studying the route more and getting hiking poles I think to help with balance too!

Melissa - I covered part of that stretch in January. I'm not sure what will be open in March but between Santa Catalina and Rabanal I was very hungry. First bar on the left as you see Rabanal but haven't gotten to the main part of town I had a coke, a coffee and a great ham and cheese omelette (tortilla de jamĂłn y queso). Your two big climbs will be to Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiro. Everything in between is El Bierzo, a high bowl surrounded by mountains on all sides. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! If you choose the river route after Villafranca del Bierzo it looks the whole time like the only way out is over the mountains but you just keep winding and winding along the river without really climbing much. Don't forget to look back at Villafranca down the river with mountains rising on both sides. The waters running through Ambasmestas are delightful and you may want to stay with Sabine and Uli at Das Animas there - great dinner and breakfast and they are so nice! Have a big snack in HerrerĂ­as before climbing O Cebreiro- you'll need it. Treat yourself to a souvenir in O Cebreiro - there is a great gift shop there. Don't take the alternate route out of O Cebreiro unless you want to climb some more - I did it by accident in brutal fog, rain and wind.

Most important to remember- you are going to love every minute of YOUR Camino! Yours will be unlike any other, no two are alike. You will be tired and frustrated at times but it's worth it to push through. You will be so proud of yourself and all the little things we take for granted will be so appreciated like a little rest, warm food, a bunk bed. And I've never met a pilgrim I didn't like. One of my albergue hosts said it best "we've been doing this for 2 1/2 years and we've yet to meet the first son of a b#%^* on the Camino".

Buen Camino!
Thank you for such detail and great advice!!!! It makes it so much more real and understandable! It makes me keen to be there already! I have my camino notebook which I will keep all the different gems from everyone! I have been reading about the two climbs, and descents...but great to hear about El Bierzo also - and the waters!!! And I will mind my way out of O Cebreiro too - thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino
I've been weather watching too, Melissa - I set off from Astorga on March 15th also. The forecast is looking good, if it's correct! Last February I walked the same stretch ~ one of my favourite parts on the Frances ~ and had snow, which made it kind of special. Hope you have a great time and might well see you somewhere on the Path. Buen Camino, Chris

Hi Chris! Lovely to hear you’ll be there around the same time - I’ll keep an eye out for you! It does look good so far weather wise. I was hoping there might be some snow high up still - with good walking conditions too! Buen Camino!

Hi Chris! Lovely to hear you’ll be there around the same time - I’ll keep an eye out for you! It does look good so far weather wise. I was hoping there might be some snow high up still - with good walking conditions too! Buen Camino!
Hi Melissa. If you are interested, the O Cebreiro webcam gives real-time views of what is going on up there weather wise ~ there has been a covering of snow for a time in the past week, but it's gone now! Webcam link is >>> http://www.crtvg.es/crtvg/camaras-web/o-cebreiro
You'll recognise me from my backpack mascot (The Avatar on the left) - the pack is red now though, not green! Good travelling and Buen Camino also!!
The attached image was the route up O Cebreiro last February - clear skies to Ruitelan the day before and then it snowed that night 53060

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino

MelissaOb:

There is an old saying or book I once read "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

All will be well,
Joe

Hi Melissa. If you are interested, the O Cebreiro webcam gives real-time views of what is going on up there weather wise ~ there has been a covering of snow for a time in the past week, but it's gone now! Webcam link is >>> http://www.crtvg.es/crtvg/camaras-web/o-cebreiro
You'll recognise me from my backpack mascot (The Avatar on the left) - the pack is red now though, not green! Good travelling and Buen Camino also!!
The attached image was the route up O Cebreiro last February - clear skies to Ruitelan the day before and then it snowed that night View attachment 53060
Your photo is amazing - wow! Thank you for the link also - it looks very green at the moment : ) I'm excitedly heading into James Gate now to get my first stamp in my credencia.
Hope to see you on the road. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back