• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in 2023

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: July 2021, April 2023, May 2024
Hi,

When I heard about the Camino for the first time last year, I was immediately captivated. In the last few months that captivation has turned into obsession. I've enjoyed reading the posts on this site, in addition to watching YouTube videos. I plan to walk in the fall of 2023 to mark retirement. I'm comfortable with regular 5 mile walks here in Maine (US East Coast) but have had a hard time finding a good fitting, comfortable shoe that will help me increase that distance. I've appreciated all of the many threads about footwear and other gear. Thanks to all of you who so generously give of your time and expertise to help novices like me.

Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Anne and welcome!

My husband and I are also going to the camino in 2023 (September) to celebrate retirement! For us, it will be a second installment having gone in 2016 for 10 days to celebrate our 25th Anniversary.

As for footwear, you'll find many suggestions about what is best. I recommend you go to an outdoor store - here in Canada we have MEC as an example, and tell them you wish to walk the camino. They'll ask you questions about foot health, make recommendations, have you try on different styles, etc. Chances are, you'll encounter an employee there who has walked the camino. That's been my experience in the 2 outdoor stores we have in my home town.

Best wishes and Buen Camino!

Catherine

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes it is nice to see 2023 popping up! Summer 2023 is the plan for my mum and I, a 3 year delay but we'll get there and it's exciting to think about.

I hike and road walk a fair amount and wear trail runners most of the time. As Cathy said above, the outdoor stores are great, have also found the local running store has a good selection of trail runners and good advice. What I've come to learn is that no matter what the shoe, I have to customize. I'll play around with different lacing, different socks and other little tricks to help the fit (like half of a cheap insole underneath my orthotic for heel slip). Still looking for the "perfect" shoe!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,

When I heard about the Camino for the first time last year, I was immediately captivated. In the last few months that captivation has turned into obsession. I've enjoyed reading the posts on this site, in addition to watching YouTube videos. I plan to walk in the fall of 2023 to mark retirement. I'm comfortable with regular 5 mile walks here in Maine (US East Coast) but have had a hard time finding a good fitting, comfortable shoe that will help me increase that distance. I've appreciated all of the many threads about footwear and other gear. Thanks to all of you who so generously give of your time and expertise to help novices like me.

Anne
We're planning April - May 2023. From St Jean to Santiago, and then the Inglis.
I have to find a housesitter/pet minder.

May 2023 here! It's good that we still have time to train a bit and find comfortable equipment.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You are right to worry about shoes, and you have time to do something about it. Some people find that what has served them well for a lifetime does NOT work when you start to do 10+ km distances. What's worse, is that nobody can really help you here, you have to try them for yourself. Everyone (except me!) will tell you about the best shoe, and what works for them. They mean well, but unless they are prepared to give you their feet along with the recommendation, its not worth much. The one that fits you perfectly is the right one.

Start by dating shoes. Yeah, the look matters at first, but when you start putting miles on them, their inadequacies quickly become apparent. If they aren't comfortable right out of the box, try another. Modern shoes don't have a "break in" period, its your feet that break in. Try several, and learn what your body likes and doesn't like. Keep going, until you find "the One". Its on the rack there somewhere. Don't settle for "pretty good". Your shoe needs to be perfect before you set off on Camino. It can get frustrating. It can be expensive. Its worth it. Nothing is more important than your shoes, every other consideration in preparing for Camino is of secondary importance. And make sure that you try different weights of socks. The merino socks are preposterously expensive, and worth every penny because of their remarkable properties when wet. Some like thinner, I like thicker. Some use a liner inside a heavy sock, others like toe socks. Your feet will tell you what they want. Listen to them, or later it won't be a request - it will be blisters.

Walk distances in varied conditions (including rain!) and on trails as well as pavement in your shoe/sock combo. You won't really know until you have done a couple of back to back 10 K+ days. Don't discount walking in sandals, lots of pilgrims end their search for the perfect shoe in Keens or Tevas. Others find a trail shoe that works. I walk in standard running shoes.....because they fit me.

When you find The One, buy a couple more pairs. They wear out as you train, but also the manufacturers change them all the time. Its annoying when you go to buy another pair to find that they have improved it.....and the new version isn't quite the same anymore. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
You are right to worry about shoes, and you have time to do something about it. Some people find that what has served them well for a lifetime does NOT work when you start to do 10+ km distances. What's worse, is that nobody can really help you here, you have to try them for yourself. Everyone (except me!) will tell you about the best shoe, and what works for them. They mean well, but unless they are prepared to give you their feet along with the recommendation, its not worth much. The one that fits you perfectly is the right one.

Start by dating shoes. Yeah, the look matters at first, but when you start putting miles on them, their inadequacies quickly become apparent. If they aren't comfortable right out of the box, try another. Modern shoes don't have a "break in" period, its your feet that break in. Try several, and learn what your body likes and doesn't like. Keep going, until you find "the One". Its on the rack there somewhere. Don't settle for "pretty good". Your shoe needs to be perfect before you set off on Camino. It can get frustrating. It can be expensive. Its worth it. Nothing is more important than your shoes, every other consideration in preparing for Camino is of secondary importance. And make sure that you try different weights of socks. The merino socks are preposterously expensive, and worth every penny because of their remarkable properties when wet. Some like thinner, I like thicker. Some use a liner inside a heavy sock, others like toe socks. Your feet will tell you what they want. Listen to them, or later it won't be a request - it will be blisters.

Walk distances in varied conditions (including rain!) and on trails as well as pavement in your shoe/sock combo. You won't really know until you have done a couple of back to back 10 K+ days. Don't discount walking in sandals, lots of pilgrims end their search for the perfect shoe in Keens or Tevas. Others find a trail shoe that works. I walk in standard running shoes.....because they fit me.

When you fine The One, buy a couple more pairs. They wear out as you train, but also the manufacturers change them all the time. Its annoying when you go to buy another pair to find that they have improved it.....and the new version isn't quite the same anymore. Happy hunting.
Rick what other recommendations do you have for us? You seem very knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff. Equipment like backpacks or hiking clothes, socks etc..

Rick what other recommendations do you have for us? You seem very knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff. Equipment like backpacks or hiking clothes, socks etc..
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm no Gear Head. There is a whole chunk of this form where the obsessed debate brands and style of equipment. Experience has taught me a few lessons though, the MOST important one is above. Other than that:

- Find a pack that fits you, they are all a little different. When you go to buy one, most shops will have somebody to help fit you. Make sure there is weight in the pack (~15 lbs) when you are trying it out. Length and hip belt shape matter here. 35-40 litres is about the right size. Don't sweat over the "Features", none of it really matters. It has to fit you. Osprey, Gregory, Deuter, and others are all good.

- Keep your pack as LIGHT AS POSSIBLE. Don't pack anything "just in case". If it turns out you need something, buy it when you are there.

- Lots of people prefer down puffies for their mid layer, but I like a zip fleece hoodie. They both work. You will always hear "get a 'light' fleece". Not TOO light, its job is to keep you warm, and it need needs to be substantial enough to do the job for the time of year you are walking.

- Buy a high quality rain jacket AND a poncho. The poncho is to keep your pack dry. The rain jacket is your outer warmth layer, as well as keeping you dry. Get over the fact that when it rains, your feet will get wet.....goretex shoes are strictly for winter walking.

- ALL of your clothes should be synthetic, except for skivvies. Take nothing cotton with you. Its heavy, and takes forever to dry.

- Merino base layers (t-shirts) are worth paying for. Mid/Outer layers can be polyester.

- Pick your clothes thinking about layers. Depending on when you walk, you may need your merino t-shirt, a long sleeve shirt, your fleece or down puffy, and your rain jacket all together to be warm. These will get you down to the freezing point in comfort when all worn together. Your pack will be empty when its cold!

- Don't take anything that is single purpose....its all used in combination with other elements.

- Its not a fashion show. Leave your vanity at home, and get comfortable with the idea that all those pictures will show you in the same clothes, in an increasing state of disrepair as your Camino progresses.

- Don't take a first aid kit like you are planning to do field surgery. Every town has a pharmacy, you're never more than a few hours walk from a place to buy what you might need. Mine is a half spool of skin tape, a gauze bandage, and two bandaids.

- Unless you are walking in summer, or only staying in hotel/hostel accommodations, you NEED a sleeping bag of some type. I use a down quilt rather than a bag (you are indoors on a foam mattress), and this helps save weight and space.

I could probably come up with a few more, but these are the high spots.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm no Gear Head. There is a whole chunk of this form where the obsessed debate brands and style of equipment. Experience has taught me a few lessons though, the MOST important one is above. Other than that:

- Find a pack that fits you, they are all a little different. When you go to buy one, most shops will have somebody to help fit you. Make sure there is weight in the pack (~15 lbs) when you are trying it out. Length and hip belt shape matter here. 35-40 litres is about the right size. Don't sweat over the "Features", none of it really matters. It has to fit you. Osprey, Gregory, Deuter, and others are all good.

- Keep your pack as LIGHT AS POSSIBLE. Don't pack anything "just in case". If it turns out you need something, buy it when you are there.

- Lots of people prefer down puffies for their mid layer, but I like a zip fleece hoodie. They both work. You will always hear "get a 'light' fleece". Not TOO light, its job is to keep you warm, and it need needs to be substantial enough to do the job for the time of year you are walking.

- Buy a high quality rain jacket AND a poncho. The poncho is to keep your pack dry. The rain jacket is your outer warmth layer, as well as keeping you dry. Get over the fact that when it rains, your feet will get wet.....goretex shoes are strictly for winter walking.

- ALL of your clothes should be synthetic, except for skivvies. Take nothing cotton with you. Its heavy, and takes forever to dry.

- Merino base layers (t-shirts) are worth paying for. Mid/Outer layers can be polyester.

- Pick your clothes thinking about layers. Depending on when you walk, you may need your merino t-shirt, a long sleeve shirt, your fleece or down puffy, and your rain jacket all together to be warm. These will get you down to the freezing point in comfort when all worn together. Your pack will be empty when its cold!

- Don't take anything that is single purpose....its all used in combination with other elements.

- Its not a fashion show. Leave your vanity at home, and get comfortable with the idea that all those pictures will show you in the same clothes, in an increasing state of disrepair as your Camino progresses.

- Don't take a first aid kit like you are planning to do field surgery. Every town has a pharmacy, you're never more than a few hours walk from a place to buy what you might need. Mine is a half spool of skin tape, a gauze bandage, and two bandaids.

- Unless you are walking in summer, or only staying in hotel/hostel accommodations, you NEED a sleeping bag of some type. I use a down quilt rather than a bag (you are indoors on a foam mattress), and this helps save weight and space.

I could probably come up with a few more, but these are the high spots.

Buen Camino
Great stuff Rick. This will help a lot of folks I believe.

I’ll add a few opinions as well

- plan for the season you are going in and the conditions that come with it. Don’t blindly follow a random list on line. My March list will look different than my August list.

- consider fleece and synthetics over down. While good down is lighter and more compressible it’s much harder to wash. As an example I’m bringing a synthetic quilt instead of a down bag and a heavier fleece jacket instead of a down puffy. You’ll thank me later if you get bed bugs and have to wash all of your stuff.

- it’s ok to plan ahead. It’s ok to not plan ahead. Do what makes you feel comfortable and lowers your anxiety. Me personally, I’m booking ahead but I understand the desire and argument for others not to. Bottom line is do what you feel comfortable with.

Sandy1

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back