• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances May/June 2022

LukeMartinez

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, my name is Luke Martinez, living in California. I am planning to walk the Camino Frances in the last two weeks of May and finish in June of 2022. What can I expect for weather in May/June, some rain, a lot of rain? I know it will be different year to year, but I am trying to get an idea. I would appreciate any input from those who have walked the Camino Frances in May, thank you, Luke

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Luke, greetings from Ojai! I am doing my 3rd Camino starting April 24th from Pamplona. My 1st was April 2018, it pretty much rained the first 10 days ( my fault being from Ca. I am always praying for rain, just was not geography specific enough) then April 30th snow in O’ Cebereiro! Two more days of drizzle then blue skies and sunshine rest of trip except for my last day in Santiago. So I’m thinking April is probably wetter than May thats why next years will be a little in April all of May a little in June. My last Camino was in Sept./Oct. I really preferred spring. My rain gear consisted of pack cover, rain jacket/ windbreaker and poncho! Wishing you a Buen Camino. Dee

I walked in May/June for 2-3 weeks in 2015 and had great weather. It only rained once, very lightly, one day in Galicia. We had a hard frost, overnight low in mid-20s, one night when we were up at pretty high elevation near the Cruz de Ferro and a few other chilly mornings. Mostly it was perfect … sunny and pleasant walking weather. It did rain when we were in Santiago.

I brought rain pants and they were the only thing that I didn’t use, but I would bring them again because I do think we were lucky with the weather. I wore my gortex jacket a lot for wind and warmth on those chilly mornings. I also prefer the Camino in spring and hope to be back next April/May.
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, my name is Luke Martinez, living in California. I am planning to walk the Camino Frances in the last two weeks of May and finish in June of 2022. What can I expect for weather in May/June, some rain, a lot of rain? I know it will be different year to year, but I am trying to get an idea. I would appreciate any input from those who have walked the Camino Frances in May, thank you, Luke
Greeting from Santa Barbara County (Buellton). I too plan on starting the CF in May and finishing up in Santiago on June 20 (my 65th birthday). Going to watch this thread closely, particularly for tips on the weather. Like you, I'm not used to a lot of rain in May/June (if any), so that has me a bit worried. I'm a very experienced urban hiker (I hiked the Mission Trail from Mission San Diego to Mission Sonoma) in the winter of 2014/Spring 2015 and only experienced rain on one day and I was unprepared and miserable.

Greeting from Santa Barbara County (Buellton). I too plan on starting the CF in May and finishing up in Santiago on June 20 (my 65th birthday). Going to watch this thread closely, particularly for tips on the weather. Like you, I'm not used to a lot of rain in May/June (if any), so that has me a bit worried. I'm a very experienced urban hiker (I hiked the Mission Trail from Mission San Diego to Mission Sonoma) in the winter of 2014/Spring 2015 and only experienced rain on one day and I was unprepared and miserable.
Hi, Luke here. I did find a site yesterday which describes the weather for various times of the year. This will give you a general idea as to what to expect. https://followthecamino.com/en/blog/best-time-to-walk-the-camino-de-santiago/ I wanted to ask you about the Mission Trail. I am in northern California near Sacramento, (Yuba City). Is this worth while? I just started to research this. Luke

Hi, Luke here. I did find a site yesterday which describes the weather for various times of the year. This will give you a general idea as to what to expect. https://followthecamino.com/en/blog/best-time-to-walk-the-camino-de-santiago/ I wanted to ask you about the Mission Trail. I am in northern California near Sacramento, (Yuba City). Is this worth while? I just started to research this. Luke
Is the California Mission Trail worth while? That's a tough question to answer. First thing that you need to understand is that there is no "official" trail. However, there is a growing number of hikers that are doing it. Here's two resources you might want to check out: https://missionwalk.org/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/californiamissionwalkers.

I started out hiking between missions as training for the Camino de Santiago about 10 years ago. But work and life got in the way of me taking 4-8 weeks off to fly to Spain to complete the hike. However, I found that I could hike the Mission Trail in segments using Amtrak to get me to and from start and stop points. That way it was less of an intensive time demand and I could fit it into my life better.

I much prefer the southern section from San Diego through the Santa Ynez Valley (Mission Sant Ynez in Solvang and Mission La Purisima near Lompoc). I hiked it from south to north. Once you get north of Lompoc, the trail becomes quite rural and there's a lot less infrastructure support (hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.). Once you near Mission Santa Cruz there's more and more infrastructure as you approach Mission San Francisco and further north to Mission Sonoma.

I was the 12th person in modern history to hike the complete trail. That was about 8 years ago. I have no idea where the number is now. I'm sure with the numbers of people hiking, we must be approach at least 50 who have completed. You can find more information at the links I provided above.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you haven't already, you should join the Sacramento chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino. I know that it's a little far for you to travel though. (I grew up in Sacto) The next time that I visit my mom in Chico I would be more than happy to meet you somewhere in between to answer any Camino questions that you have.

Hi Luke. I usually walk the Camino in May and the weather is variable but lovely.
SO many wildflowers make you forget about the occasional rain. The last two weeks of May are often quite warm, not cold, even if it rains. I usually wear a short sleeve shirt, maybe a long sleeve shirt, and either my ALTUS poncho if it's raining, or a featherweight windbreaker, and I'm peeling off layers within 10 minutes of starting. You won't need any heavy jacket. I'm 69 by the way. Have a wonderful walk! I'll look for you on the trail, as I'll be there again, God willing!

Hi Luke. I usually walk the Camino in May and the weather is variable but lovely.
SO many wildflowers make you forget about the occasional rain. The last two weeks of May are often quite warm, not cold, even if it rains. I usually wear a short sleeve shirt, maybe a long sleeve shirt, and either my ALTUS poncho if it's raining, or a featherweight windbreaker, and I'm peeling off layers within 10 minutes of starting. You won't need any heavy jacket. I'm 69 by the way. Have a wonderful walk! I'll look for you on the trail, as I'll be there again, God willing!
Thank you for your reply. Anniesantiago, did you start your walk at the beginning, middle or end of May? I have read that the May wildflowers are a beautiful sight. Luke

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
trecile - I will have to look into the Sacramento chapter. The next time you visit your mom, please send me a message to my private email address xxxxx I don't mind driving to Chico, that will not be a problem. Thank you, Luke Martinez
You should remove your private email address as this forum is viewable by anyone - including spambots! If you click on my name you can send me a private message.

P. S. I have saved your email address to my contacts

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Anniesantiago, did you start your walk at the beginning, middle or end of May? I have read that the May wildflowers are a beautiful sight. Luke
I have started all times in May. The further you get in the month, the less rain and the warmer it gets. In 2022, I will start walking mid April.

much prefer the southern section from San Diego through the Santa Ynez Valley (Mission Sant Ynez in Solvang and Mission La Purisima near Lompoc). I hiked it from south to north. Once you get north of Lompoc, the trail becomes quite rural and there's a lot less infrastructure support (hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.).
This is sadly very true, despite my repeated urging to our city council that we try to increase pilgrim appeal. OTOH, central California does have an obelisk on a hill very close to the path 😉
B94B4910-6B0D-40E8-9E48-0B207507D746.jpeg

Have you published a part 2 (north of SB)? Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@LukeMartinez buen camino! I've walked a number of times starting in May and it is lovely because of the flowers. I also prefer to walk when it is a little cool. In spring the weather is notoriously hard to predict. If it is a deal breaker, then September is probably more reliable.

If you look at the latitude of the Camino Frances and compare that to where you live in California, you will probably find it is further from the equator. The average elevation is also quite high - so think mountain weather and the variation that brings.

Have you published a part 2 (north of SB)? Thanks!
Unfortunately, no I have not completed the book. At the time I wrote part 1 (San Diego to Santa Barbara), I was self-employed. My business volume was down at the time too, so I had some time on my hands. Then, shortly after I finished part 1 my business began to surge and I was totally enveloped in it and had no time to spare.

Fast forward several years and I've taken a job with a major company and have even less time to spare. However, next year (2022) I am dropping down to half-time (pre-retirement) and have negotiated 2 months off to complete the Camino. Regarding the book, the information is starting to become out of date. For example, the advent of Uber and Lyft have changed the dynamics of where you plan your daily start and stops. In the book, I have daily start and end points planned around sleeping accommodations and public transportation.

Also, the links I provided to the FB page and to Mission Walkers Web site have much more up to date information on hiking routes. Keep in mind though that the philosophy of the people in the group driving decisions on recommended routes differ somewhat from me. Most of them want to avoid off-road trails and beaches. I, on the other hand, much prefer these routes because I am adverse to automobile traffic and I steadfastly refuse to high along Highway 101.

I plan on ending distribution of the book at the end of October but the links to downloadable maps and directions will be active for at least another year until I close the cloud account hosting the materials.

Regarding the book, the information is starting to become out of date. For example, the advent of Uber and Lyft have changed the dynamics of where you plan your daily start and stops.
I, on the other hand, much prefer these routes because I am adverse to automobile traffic and I steadfastly refuse to high along Highway 101.
I agree with the changes re Uber etc, and how things change. The motel Briery lists for one stage is now a homeless shelter which could make for a funny conversation

I agree also, the 101 may be historically correct but not the way I’d walk

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The motel Briery lists for one stage is now a homeless shelter which could make for a funny conversation

I agree also, the 101 may be historically correct but not the way I’d walk
How funny, I believe I actually stayed at that motel near Mission San Fernando. I left a Yelp review that the place needs renovation with a bulldozer!

Actually, Highway 101 has no basis in historical placement of the El Camino Real. Yes, it generally follows the path the missionaries took from South to North, but the decisions on placement of the bell markers was driven by by the American Automobile Association, and by virtue of their name, they placed the markers where cars could travel in modern days. Also, keep in mind that the missions have moved over time. Several of the missions were destroyed by earthquakes, fire, and other events and moved to more suitable locations when they were rebuild.

One that immediately comes to mind is Mission San Gabriel in LA. It was originally located several miles from the current location along a riverbed. After a major flood, it was moved to higher ground. The route that Ron Briery suggests as well as the bell markers come nowhere near this old mission site, so it is not the original El Camino Real. The route I have in my book takes you a much different route over miles of beach and a series of interconnecting bike trails. It takes you within a couple hundred yards from the original mission site (there's a special bell marker placed there). Anyway, the point is that the El Camino Real is more of a concept than an actual route. The route the missionaries took changed over time.

Of course the weather will change year to year - but I think May into June is ideal. Hot by the end but time to acclimatize
We were very lucky though, we had 3 really big thunderstorms - but during the night only in each of the big cities, and only 1 other day of complete downpour in Galicia. Rain and thunder all day. Apart from that though the weather was great.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll try to stay on topic re CF. Normally, May and June would be hot and full summer. But we never know: One year (2012) I was walking much farther south (The Via de la Plata) from Salamanca to Santiago. I had 21 days of rain and hard wind gusts, 2 days of snow (!) on mountain passes, and a partly sunny day entering Santiago. But that was just bad luck: Normally, May/June is smooth sailing, as we skippers say. Bring a poncho and rain cover for your backpack, just in case.

Walked from 14th of May to 16th of June 2019. Weather was mostly pleasant. Mid 20s (Celsius!). Sometimes a little hotter. Usually a bit cold in the mornings. Had a cold spell over the mountains past Astorga, which actually involved some snow one morning in June. (which i did not expect). Overall, i liked it quite a lot. Not to warm, not to wet. Everything still really green and blooming. Would definitely chose that time of year again. (Also: Its before most of Europe has finished school/university which might have lead to things being not that crowded as people always say)

I'll try to stay on topic re CF. Normally, May and June would be hot and full summer. But we never know: One year (2012) I was walking much farther south (The Via de la Plata) from Salamanca to Santiago. I had 21 days of rain and hard wind gusts, 2 days of snow (!) on mountain passes, and a partly sunny day entering Santiago. But that was just bad luck: Normally, May/June is smooth sailing, as we skippers say. Bring a poncho and rain cover for your backpack, just in case.
Thank you, Luke

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walked from 14th of May to 16th of June 2019. Weather was mostly pleasant. Mid 20s (Celsius!). Sometimes a little hotter. Usually a bit cold in the mornings. Had a cold spell over the mountains past Astorga, which actually involved some snow one morning in June. (which i did not expect). Overall, i liked it quite a lot. Not to warm, not to wet. Everything still really green and blooming. Would definitely chose that time of year again. (Also: Its before most of Europe has finished school/university which might have lead to things being not that crowded as people always say)
Thank you, Luke

I walked in May/June for 2-3 weeks in 2015 and had great weather. It only rained once, very lightly, one day in Galicia. We had a hard frost, overnight low in mid-20s, one night when we were up at pretty high elevation near the Cruz de Ferro and a few other chilly mornings. Mostly it was perfect … sunny and pleasant walking weather. It did rain when we were in Santiago.

I brought rain pants and they were the only thing that I didn’t use, but I would bring them again because I do think we were lucky with the weather. I wore my gortex jacket a lot for wind and warmth on those chilly mornings. I also prefer the Camino in spring and hope to be back next April/May.
Buen Camino!
Thank you for the reply, Luke

Hi Luke, greetings from Ojai! I am doing my 3rd Camino starting April 24th from Pamplona. My 1st was April 2018, it pretty much rained the first 10 days ( my fault being from Ca. I am always praying for rain, just was not geography specific enough) then April 30th snow in O’ Cebereiro! Two more days of drizzle then blue skies and sunshine rest of trip except for my last day in Santiago. So I’m thinking April is probably wetter than May thats why next years will be a little in April all of May a little in June. My last Camino was in Sept./Oct. I really preferred spring. My rain gear consisted of pack cover, rain jacket/ windbreaker and poncho! Wishing you a Buen Camino. Dee
Thank you for your reply. I am looking into flights for that time of year. Luke

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, I've not bought a ticket yet but hope to leave Canada May 20 and leaving from SJPP (exact date uncertain at this moment). At the moment I am obsessing (LOL) about what to bring...and negotiating time off of work.

Hi Luke,

I, too, am from northern California. My plan is walk the Frances starting in SJPDP on April 29th finishing up sometime mid-June or so. Hope all goes well and the weather will cooperate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Luke,

I, too, am from northern California. My plan is walk the Frances starting in SJPDP on April 29th finishing up sometime mid-June or so. Hope all goes well and the weather will cooperate.
Hi RemysMimi, I hope all goes well too. I see you have walked the Camino a couple of times. I am excited and ready to go. I don't leave until May, but I have viewed many videos on YouTube to help me prepare. I am presently walking 4 to 6 miles everyday to prepare for the adventure. I will increase this as time goes on. In the meantime, Buen Camino.

My husband and I will begin our first Camino May 7, 2022 from SJPP. I might be wearing this purple hat or a blue one like it. If you see me on the Camino, please stop and introduce yourself!
We contacted the Auberge Borda and made a "reservation" to stay the first night there and then attack the rest of the way to Roncesvalles on the 2nd day.

Also, I see that the original post, in which the email address was given, has been deleted. That's why it was puzzling to you.
I have no idea how I managed to have my email on the original post and then magically not present after that. I am clueless.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Looking forward to start my first camino on May 5, 2022 from SJPDP. I will be arriving from Houston, Texas. The original planned date was April, 2021, but canceled due to global Covid pandemic.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back