• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in March - April 2016

Gerry Sinclair

CdnDadio
Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2016
Good Morning from the "Leftside" of Canada,
My first Camino and I am planning on a mid March 2016 start from SJPdP and have been trying to find weather info and experiences people have had starting and walking at this time of year. I'm not concerned about the cold or wet... after all Canada eh.....
Any information is appreciated
Thanks
Gerry

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first Camino and I am planning on a mid March 2016 start from SJPdP and have been trying to find weather info and experiences people have had starting and walking at this time of year. I'm not concerned about the cold or wet... after all Canada eh.....
Thanks
Gerry
Hi Gerry, I started at the 18th of April and there was still snow on the Napolean route. The weather at that time was great. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The weather in the Pyrenees is totally unpredictable. Several years ago the snow was so deep no one could walk to Roncevalles much less walk from Roncevalles to points west as late as the end of May. I live nearby and post anecdotal reports during the spring. If you are serious about starting in March I would consider starting in Pamplona and then wait to see what the weather is doing in the mountains and adjust your plans accordingly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks
Gerry
Very important. I think that you dont know that recently Spanish and French authorities decided to close the Route Napoleon in winter from october 31 to april 1. You can use other alternative routes from SJDPP to Roncesvalles.

Very important. I think that you dont know that recently Spanish and French authorities decided to close the Route Napoleon in winter from october 31 to april 1. You can use other alternative routes from SJDPP to Roncesvalles.
The Valcarlos alternate is one such way which roughly parallels the N135 rosdway. However this alternate too can be treacherous in heavy fog or deep snow.

From my perspective after starting the first week of April I watched the weather reports from SJPDP to Pamploma very carefully prior to my departure. I think that should give you a good way of determining your starting point. As it totally is your decision how much you can carry going thru the Pyranies, for weather. I assume a western Canadian has life experience in the mountains.
Keith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome Gerry, all good advice above. I didn't start until mid April, it was cold and wet and the Napoleon was advised as too dangerous with snow, fog and high winds, the Valcarlos route was beautiful and I enjoyed it greatly. Each year, month, week can be different weatherwise, you may have to make last minute decisions.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

I have walked in January, February, March and April...love the quieter cooler months for walking. Walking in mid-March you will not be able to predict the weather. I have had everything from a late snow, cold rain to very hot days. You need to prepare as you would for a winter camino - your packing list needs to be supplemented with layers for cold weather (base layer, fleece, rain jacket, light gloves, hat) and you still need to bring sunscreen (had numerous pilgrims borrowing mine when hot sun showed up for a week straight). You also need good rain gear because you may encounter early spring storms. I prefer a rain jacket and pants vs. a poncho because they can be used as an extra layer against the cold and wind. You will not have crowds but there will still be plenty of pilgrims. A few albergues may still be closed from the winter, but it won't be a problem. I love walking in March-April...there are fewer tourists and more solitude when you want it. You can walk without seeing pilgrims all around you, yet have a group to eat with in the evening. I have generally had a few nights solo in an albergue especially if I didn't stick to the Brierly stages. Its a wonderful time to be on the camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gerry if it is not too difficult as you go I am real interested in your thoughts about March once you are moving along. I am starting to look at Febuary- March & Also November- December The weather in that part of Spain reminds me of Colorado in the fact that their winters seem to be milder (Temps) than Montana, yet because the Ocean is close the amount of snowfall heavy & wet. Like the cascade mountains. Also if you reach the Maseta in March you could run into the flatland cold wind like eastern Alberta. Or just the opposite hot wind. Just depends on the year.
Buen Camino
Keith

Gerry if it is not too difficult as you go I am real interested in your thoughts about March once you are moving along. I am starting to look at Febuary- March & Also November- December The weather in that part of Spain reminds me of Colorado in the fact that their winters seem to be milder (Temps) than Montana, yet because the Ocean is close the amount of snowfall heavy & wet. Like the cascade mountains. Also if you reach the Maseta in March you could run into the flatland cold wind like eastern Alberta. Or just the opposite hot wind. Just depends on the year.
Buen Camino
Keith
I would be glad to keep you posted in my process and planning. I'm originally from Saskatchewan (go east and turn left at North Dakota) so the cold and wind....I'm not too concerned about. As I mentioned, my only adjustment would be to intially take the Valcarlos rather than the Napoleon Route. Of course I would appreciate any input anyone has.
Thanks for the info and yes.....Buen Camino!
Gerry

Hi Navarro, Just an inquiry about where one can find information such as the Route Napoleon being closed on the dates you mentioned. Not disputing it a bit, just want to pay attention.
Thanks and Buen Camino!
Gerry

Thanks
Gerry
Bonjour from the "Rightside" of Canada! I am also new to this forum. I will be starting the same path during the same dates!

Hi Navarro, Just an inquiry about where one can find information such as the Route Napoleon being closed on the dates you mentioned. Not disputing it a bit, just want to pay attention.
Thanks and Buen Camino!
Gerry
Gerry, this was discussed on a previous conversation here. Attached is the link to the conversation (it contains a link to an announcement on the closure, but it is all in Spanish). Good luck y buen camino.

Closure: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...rom-1-november-to-31-march.35183/#post-324953

Bonjour from the "Rightside" of Canada! I am also new to this forum. I will be starting the same path during the same dates!
Lise, welcome to the forum and buen camino !!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for all the advice. I heed to all. I am not opposed to the Valcarlos or for that matter, starting in Pamplona. Thanks biarritzdon....

in all honesty I prefer very cold winter or warmth dry weather or windy even better (done this several times.) However in March you can get damp which is not nice in a albergue without heating....one March it rained every day, for the whole camino except the first day.

as mentioned by mspath. (quote) .The Valcarlos alternate is one such way which roughly parallels the N135 rosdway. However this alternate too can be treacherous in heavy fog or deep snow.

Pamplona is a respectable place to start,even spending a whole day exploring the place..picking up any bits you need or have forgot..

There are no actual laws stopping you from walking the higher route(done this myself).they can close the road to traffice leading just shy of the border crossing. many hillwalkers & mountaineers walk and do this anyway all over the world in winter..for the novice in winter this of course is not the time or place to learn winter walking skills....when I do use the higher route in winter on or off the camino I take a full on geodesic tent
as shown. I have the skills, I don't take chances...it not really worth the effort considering you have a long way to go....to Santiago.... mostly there is no visibility to see markers so your need spot on micro navigation skills (without the aid or reliance of a GPS)..

Aviemore Jan 2007 073.jpg

Good Morning Lise, I've made some adjustments to my Camino based on my time available. I have a month and want to "take it all in" and not treat it like a race. So, I will be walking the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago and on to Muxia and Fisterre. If the weather is agreeable, I will tentatively start in Leon and take the Camino del Salvador to Oviedo.
Buen Camino and perhaps meet along "The Way"
Gerry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino Gerry and who knows,we might meet along the way!

What everyone has said...especially wayfarer and birrritzdon:
Basically, who knows?--It's definitely doable, but be prepared for anything from winter to summer.
FWIW here is a photo from March 8 this year, from the Valcarlos route. It was beautiful (no regrets at all for having had to go this way; )...and icy at the top.

Attachments

• IMG_7238 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7238 - Copy.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello @Lise & @Gerry Sinclair! I am starting from SJPDP March 15th going the Valcarlos route since the Napoleon is indeed closed. I am training through the New England weather testing some new winter gear so I plan to be ready for anything :) Would be lovely to meet up along the way if we are heading out about the same time! Buen Camino!

Hello @Lise & @Gerry Sinclair! I am starting from SJPDP March 15th going the Valcarlos route since the Napoleon is indeed closed. I am training through the New England weather testing some new winter gear so I plan to be ready for anything :) Would be lovely to meet up along the way if we are heading out about the same time! Buen Camino!
Bonjour Mary flo! Hum you will be ahead of me since I should start the Camino around March 21st...unless I change my dates...Also I think that Gerry is arriving around the same date I am...let,s see his reply. But hey, I do wish to bump into you at one point! Stay in contact with me alright?

Bonjour Mary flo! Hum you will be ahead of me since I should start the Camino around March 21st...unless I change my dates...Also I think that Gerry is arriving around the same date I am...let,s see his reply. But hey, I do wish to bump into you at one point! Stay in contact with me alright?
Will do! I am also in this group of ladies on Facebook CAMIGAS (A buddy system for women on the Camino) where we have a spreadsheet of everyone's start dates and places. Another nice resource if you're interested :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/CaminoBuddySystemForWomen/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.