• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles September 2012

George Novak

Hi
I'm walking the Camino Ingles from Ferrol 20th September 2012.
The route guide looks somewhat complicated and I feel convinced that I'm going to get lost!
Can anyone reassure me or offer any advice.
Regards
George Novak
Manchester
England

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi George and welcome to the forum.

The route from Ferrol is very well waymarked :arrow: all the way along it and the guide (I'm assuming that you are referring to the on-line CSJ guide to the Ingles) written by Johnny Walker is very comprehensive in terms of directions and general info about places on the route.

I'm sure that you will have no problems finding your way to Santiago. It is not as well travelled as the Camino Frances or the Camino Portugues so you may have lots of solitary walking although hopefully in September you will encounter some other peregrinos along the way.

There is plenty of information on the route and accomodation in the Camino Ingles forum but please feel free to post further questions should you need to.

Good luck with your plannng and training.

Buen Camino
Mig

Hi George

As Miguel says the route is now very well waymarked. Follow the arrows and use the guide for general directions and advice on accommodation etc.

I am out of the Camino Ingles several times a year. I will be walking the route again in about 10 days to up grade arrows in certain parts. Please feel able to e mail me before you leave and I will send you up to date on any information pertaining to the route.

Best wishes

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Johnie,

All new information will be welcomed. Getting an ( unnecessary ) fear for this short walk regarding waymarks / arrows etc and not meeting as much fellow pilgrims like on the CF.

Hi All!

It's a lovely walk in September. Wear a hat because things are falling off trees all around you!

John's guide is great.

The one thing that struck me about the Ingles as opposed to the Frances is that you have to be a bit more aware of the exact meaning of the signposting. There are fewer arrows, and you're generally following the scallop shell symbol. The 'fingers' of the scallop shell are pointing you in the right direction on the Ingles. On the Frances I think the direction these tiles face is pretty random and are really just there to tell you that you're still on the route. Am I right, John?

I only got slightly lost on the way out of Ferrol. There are two roundabouts with sculptures in the middle. When you come across either, turn right! :)

Sabine - It is a more solitary experience than the Frances, for example. However I found that the people I did meet on the Ingles left a bigger impression on me in terms of their experiences and reasons for being there etc. Even when you don't have a shared language!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

Looks as if I will be on the CI just in time to assess if JW has painted enough "bright" :arrow: for me to follow.

Tyrrek...I always turn to the right!

Sabine...still bummed I will be a week ahead. Poor planning on my part. I leave bread crumbs for you.

Arn

Arn said:
Hi all,

Looks as if I will be on the CI just in time to assess if JW has painted enough "bright" :arrow: for me to follow.

Sabine...still bummed I will be a week ahead. Poor planning on my part. I leave bread crumbs for you.

Arn

haha Arn, obvious you never met me and my lack of observationskills. Those breadcrumbs better be supersized breadrolls... :lol: :lol:

And I always turn to the left... :wink: so I will be in for a surprise.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Arn said:

Thank goodness I don't always follow your advice to the letter, Arn. You'd have me running round in circles! :lol:

I have done the CI from Ferrol each of the past two years. Johnny's guide is invaluable and the route is well waymarked. However, nothing is perfect and there are a few discrepancies between the actual route and descriptions. If you go to the Camino Ingles section of the forum and read the post-Camino reports from folks who have done it in the past couple of years, it will point out some of these minor variations. I'm sure Johnny's current trip will result in very valuable feedback too.

Hola
I also think this route is well waymarked and should be lovely in September. I usually use JW's guide for info but it possible to follow the arrows without a guide book. If ever I have not been sure often someone will just appear and point you in the right direction.
I am back on this route again in March, I like it so much

JW .. while you are on this route again pls could you check the way marking just out of Ferrol near the island and railway line around the A Faisca sign and near the cemetery on the way into SDC. Thanks.
Enjoy your caminos everyone.
Liz

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Liz

Yes - I'm on the case. Here is what I noted last time:

"Follow the arrows and all will be well. I will make one change in the next version of the guide on page 16 of the booklet version. The last paragraph will be deleted and will read:

"Go to the sign A Faisca and turn Right across the motorway. On the other side immediately turn Right at the yellow arrow on the waymark. Follow the path along the RH side of the railway. Keep on the path as it passes under the railway and KSO veering Right onto a minor road. Follow the waymark on the wall opposite and proceed up the Camino do Vilar and shortly turn Right at the next junction."

I can't emphasise enough that the arrows are accurate. Clearly the local Amigos are maintaining and developing them well. On the route I met a pilgrim using the guide (I hope they aren't reading this!) I watched from a distance as they almost took a wrong turning because their head was in the guidebook whereas the arrows, of which there were plenty, were on the ground."

However I wondered if this change was temporary and will check it out next week if the weather is fine. It is VERY clearly waymarked.

Best wishes

John

Hola John

Thanks , look forward to hear how you get on. A local lady [she seemed to know it all very well]stopped us before this section and said cross the motorway, then straight up the opposite road for a bit then turn right so we were left of the railway but eventually came out out the right place. Yes its deffinitely a case of look up and down for the arrows.

Buen camino.
Liz

George,

I walked the Ingles from A Coruna last autumn. The combination of arrows and guidebook were perfect. Don't worry about getting lost,

buen camino,

Andy

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hah...Tyrrek.

JW said
"Go to the sign A Faisca and turn Right across the motorway. On the other side immediately turn Right at the yellow arrow on the waymark. Follow the path along the RH side of the railway. Keep on the path as it passes under the railway and KSO veering Right onto a minor road. Follow the waymark on the wall opposite and proceed up the Camino do Vilar and shortly turn Right at the next junction."

Just goes to prove that turning right will get you to the right location as long as there's a bit of distance connecting each turn.

Sabine: loaves of bread rather than crumbs. It's the right thing to do.

JW, look forward to seeing you in SDC.

Reb: are you still rounding up some local folks to walk the CI with me in April?

Getting closer every day.

Arn

Arn said:
Hah...Tyrrek.

JW said
"Go to the sign A Faisca and turn Right across the motorway. On the other side immediately turn Right at the yellow arrow on the....
Arn

Arn. John was talking about a different spot on planet Earth, but don't you dare claim the 'turn right' motif for yourself! It's mine, all mine! (Or maybe John's). :D

As I remember the first day or so is generally turning right around the bay, but then you really do have to turn left at some point. Both you and Sabine will feel happy and fulfilled by the trip in my opinion.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.