• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino le puy in April

sinead10

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances
Camino le puy
Hi there,
I am planning to walk the camino le puy this coming April.
My question is about the weather, has anyone walked it at that time before?
I have walked the camino frances in the past and trekked in Nepal so I have experience of hiking in inclement weather.
However, I'd like to have a pleasant experience.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has walked it around that time of year.

thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walked it in 2014. Starting end of April. Generally cold which I liked but not as cold as Nepal. Also, could change on a dime.

Day 1: Started off cold and overcast. Sunny within a couple of hours and people were taking off layers. Recall a guy hopping on a picnic table to strip to his underwear to take off his long underwear. Guess he was really, really hot.

Day 2: Snowed

Overall a very pleasant experience.

I started in Le Puy 1st. of April 2016. The first days were quiet cold and in Aubrac it was freezing in the nights.
In the first stages you will cross challenging terrain. I must confess that I had to suffer from muscle ache. So my advice is to start slowly and better consider of an extra stopover than ruin your muscles and joints.

¡Ultreia!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I started in Le Puy 1st. of April 2016. The first days were quiet cold and in Aubrac it was freezing in the nights.
In the first stages you will cross challenging terrain. I must confess that I had to suffer from muscle ache. So my advice is to start slowly and better consider of an extra stopover than ruin your muscles and joints.

¡Ultreia!
Thank you for your reply. I will start mid april but I am starting to rethink Le Puy due to what i've read about the weather. I only have a week off work so will walk for about for about five days only.
Thanks for that information.

Walked it in 2014. Starting end of April. Generally cold which I liked but not as cold as Nepal. Also, could change on a dime.

Day 1: Started off cold and overcast. Sunny within a couple of hours and people were taking off layers. Recall a guy hopping on a picnic table to strip to his underwear to take off his long underwear. Guess he was really, really hot.

Day 2: Snowed

Overall a very pleasant experience.
Thank you. I'm still considering which walk I'll do. I'd like to improve my French which is why I chose Le Puy as it's supposed to be beautiful too. I just looked at your blog, and saw that you walked routes through toulouse and another through montpelier. Your blog looks great. I wrote a blog on my first camino, but it didn't look half as nice as yours!

I walked the Le Puy beginning June 1st 2018. I had very good temperatures and little rain overall, but only one week prior to my start date the pilgrims were having snow, rain and mud...too hard to predict.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you. I'm still considering which walk I'll do. I'd like to improve my French which is why I chose Le Puy as it's supposed to be beautiful too. I just looked at your blog, and saw that you walked routes through toulouse and another through montpelier. Your blog looks great. I wrote a blog on my first camino, but it didn't look half as nice as yours!

Thanks. Would be interested in reading your blog.

Starting in 2014, I have walked somewhere in France every year, except one. Le Puy to St Jean Pied-de-Port remains my favorite camino/chemin. Going to repeat my 2014 trip - Le Puy to Santiago (maybe start in Geneva) - in 2021. So . . . yeah, I'd recommend it.

But honestly, weather is such a subjective issue that I wonder if the feedback you get here will be very meaningful. I check the historical weather for the same time period that I am going and determine if it is too hot, too cold (no such thing as far as I am concerned), too wet, etc. for me.

Bon chemin.

Hi,

have been walking the le-puy-route by end of may 2013.
I experienced snow in the Aubrac mountains.
It came overnight ... some 30cm of fresh snow.

However the snow disappeared on the descent down into St. Chely-d‘Aubrac and Espalion.

Be prepared for any weather.

Ultreya
Uwe

Last edited:
Hi there,
I am planning to walk the camino le puy this coming April.
My question is about the weather, has anyone walked it at that time before?
I have walked the camino frances in the past and trekked in Nepal so I have experience of hiking in inclement weather.
However, I'd like to have a pleasant experience.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has walked it around that time of year.

thank you.
Hiked it in early May 2 years back and had to use sun screen many days and dodge snow flakes on the Aubrac another. Layers, and one foot in front of the other will do it. My friend Will..that's as in Will Shakespeare said it best: "Nothing is so changable as the weather." Get packing.....and just do it!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hiked it in early May 2 years back and had to use sun screen many days and dodge snow flakes on the Aubrac another. Layers, and one foot in front of the other will do it. My friend Will..that's as in Will Shakespeare said it best: "Nothing is so changable as the weather." Get packing.....and just do it!!
Where is the Aubrac? is that close to le puy?
Thanks for your reply

Where is the Aubrac? is that close to le puy?
Thanks for your reply

You‘ll reach the Aubrac area about 4-5 days after Le Puy.
Several villages bear “Aubrac“ in their village names, e.g. Aumont-Aubrac, St. Chely d‘Aubrac, Aubrac etc.

The area is known for the “Aubrac cattle“.

@sinead10 I have walked it starting in April. I had days of freezing weather with snow/rain/wind on quite a few days, including on the Aubrac, which is near the start of the Le Puy.

That said, the whole of the Le Puy is beautiful, and a lovely walk. If you have only a week, how about starting further south, in an area of lower altitude, where you might expect the weather to be better? I'd suggest Cahors to Aire-sur-le Adore. Easy to get to and from, lots of trains and buses.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back