• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid - April 18 - May 4

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I will be arriving in Madrid on April 15 and staying a few nights at the Hotel Alonso (4/15-4/18)
My walking schedule (tentatively) is:

4/18 Tres Cantos to Colmenar
4/19 Manzanares
4/20 Maetalpiño (short day just b/c I want to stay here)
4/21 Cercadilla
4/22 Segovia
4/23 Segovia
4/24 Sta Maria del Nieva
4/25 Nava
4/26 Vilagillo
4/27 Alcazaran
4/28 Puente Duero
4/29 Ciguñuela
4/30 Castromonte
5/1 Medina de Rio Seco
5/2 Cuenca
5/3 Santervas de Campos
5/4 Sahagun

From there, I'll bus to Pamplona to pick up my Spring group.

If anyone is walking on those days, say hi!
We'll be walking sllllooooooowwwwwww as these are my training weeks.
Annie

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be arriving in Madrid on April 15 and staying a few nights at the Hotel Alonso (4/15-4/18)

4/18 Tres Cantos
4/19 Manzanares
4/21 Cercadilla
4/22 Segovia
4/23 Segovia
4/24 Sta Maria del Nieva
4/25 Nava
4/26 Vilagillo
4/27 Alcazaran
4/28 Puente Duero
4/29 Ciguñuela
4/30 Castromonte
5/1 Medina de Rio Seco
5/2 Cuenca
5/3 Santervas de Campos
5/4 Sahagun

Annie
Have a fab walk. I am planning to be on the same path Mid September .
Walkmag

Enjoy every step and every stop of your camino!

P.S.: I don't think there's a direct bus from Sahagún to Pamplona but there are direct trains.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I'll be in Madrid before my flight home on April 18. I should look into that hotel and might see you there! Buen camino.
Will you spend the night in Madrid? We'll be taking the train to Tres Cantos on the morning of the 18th and walking to Colmenar. Looks like we may just miss you!

Will you spend the night in Madrid? We'll be taking the train to Tres Cantos on the morning of the 18th and walking to Colmenar. Looks like we may just miss you!
Yes we'll be in Madrid the night (or 2) before. I was thinking to stay closer to the Atocha-Prado area.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On day 3 I guess you will take a break in Navacerrada Annie. When entering the "Plaza de los Angeles" the bank is on the left near the 3 angel fountain in front of the Ayuntamiento. If you then turn left into the main plaza you will find about 30 yards along the "Paseo de los Espanoles" street to your right is Felix de Sergovia. They are famous for their "Picatosta con chocolate"! It is about 100 yards from the fountain and well worth the detour. If you intend to visit the church I can give you directions to it and back to the Camino if you want.

In Castromonte, make sure to go into the Bar Caribe (?) in the main square to see if the very kind and very elderly owner and his wife are still there. He was 91 when I was there in 2011, and I heard from another forum member a year or so ago that they were still there. He has been tending bar since he was 14, he told me! A few people in the bar told me they worried that when the couple retired or died there would be no one to take it over. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

4/19 Manzanares
4/21 Cercadilla
4/22 Segovia
4/23 Segovia
4/24 Sta Maria del Nieva
4/25 Nava
4/26 Vilagillo
4/27 Alcazaran
4/28 Puente Duero
4/29 Ciguñuela
4/30 Castromonte
5/1 Medina de Rio Seco
5/2 Cuenca
5/3 Santervas de Campos
5/4 Sahagun

From there, I'll bus to Pamplona to pick up my Spring group.

Annie
Hi Annie, I am a fellow Oregonian now in Ashland. I will be on my third Camino, walking with a friend this time who is turning 70. I will be there for a few weeks for an English volunteer program but have some time inbetween. It would be interesting to walk some of the Camino de Madrid. Do you have any sites with maps, distances, and info? Thanks, Elin

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Annie, I am a fellow Oregonian now in Ashland. I will be on my third Camino, walking with a friend this time who is turning 70. I will be there for a few weeks for an English volunteer program but have some time inbetween. It would be interesting to walk some of the Camino de Madrid. Do you have any sites with maps, distances, and info? Thanks, Elin
Hi, Elin, here are my stages with a bit of information: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-leisurely-stages-on-the-camino-de-madrid.11148/

And there is a guide in the Resources section of the forum as well. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/pdf-guide-camino-de-madrid-madrid-to-sahagún.11/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Castromonte, make sure to go into the Bar Filipinas in the main square to see if the very kind and very elderly owner and his wife are still there. He was 91 when I was there in 2011, and I heard from another forum member a year or so ago that they were still there. He has been tending bar since he was 14, he told me!

I am almost certain they were there last May when we stayed at the alburgue in Castromonte. There was a very old gentleman behind the bar and he was lovely. There were a lot of old farming photos and paintings on the walls (very similar to my memories of farming here in Ireland) and he was very proud of their links to the land. We enjoyed an hour in his company and it remains one of the highlights of my Madrid camino.

Take care, be safe.

I am almost certain they were there last May when we stayed at the alburgue in Castromonte. There was a very old gentleman behind the bar and he was lovely. There were a lot of old farming photos and paintings on the walls (very similar to my memories of farming here in Ireland) and he was very proud of their links to the land. We enjoyed an hour in his company and it remains one of the highlights of my Madrid camino.

Take care, be safe.

So glad to hear they (or at least he) still seems to be working and in good health.

I'll have to tell you my memory of them, though I'm sure I've posted it before. I arrived in Castromonte close to the end of lunch time with no food. The bar was open and filled with people, all of whom were eating lunch. I went in and asked if I was still able to eat lunch. The owner asked me I had brought the food -- turns out all the workers had their lunch boxes and we're just getting drinks from the cafe. Since I had none, his wife went to their house and brought back a salad, freshly laid eggs that she fried up, homemade chorizo, and something sweet for dessert. I'm sure that's a violation of EU rules, but it was one of the best meals I had that camino. Buen camino, Laurie

I'll have to tell you my memory of them, though I'm sure I've posted it before. I arrived in Castromonte close to the end of lunch time with no food. The bar was open and filled with people, all of whom were eating lunch.

Hi Laurie, Apologies, my post was unclear: they were both there and appeared in good health. You fared much better than we did :):).... unfortunately in our case, there was no food to be found in the pueblo and the bar at that time was deserted. We didn't actually ask them about food as there was no indications that they provided any. We ended up back at the other bar where the young lady working there sold us cheese and choritzo from her own supplies, which we ate back at the alburgue. The alburgue was one of the best we encountered on the camino with superb facilities and Ivan the hospitalero was rightly very proud of it.

Kindest regards,

Sean.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks!
I'm stoked!
We just booked rooms at the Parador in La Granja - only €80 for a doble, so this will be a real treat.
Plus we rented an apartment for two days in Segovia for the food festival.
Total lodging is running around €328 plus food at around €360 for 18 days makes it right around €690 for the entire trip.

We changed our schedule a bit so we could see La Granja:

4/19 Manzanares
4/20 Cerdedilla
4/21 Valsain then bus/taxi to La Granja (got affordable rooms at the PARADOR!)
4/22 Segovia
4/23 Segovia
4/24 Sta Maria del Nieva
4/25 Nava
4/26 Vilagillo
4/27 Alcazaran
4/28 Puente Duero
4/29 Ciguñuela
4/30 Castromonte
5/1 Medina de Rio Seco
5/2 Cuenca
5/3 Santervas de Campos
5/4 Sahagun

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We just booked rooms at the Parador in La Granja - only €80 for a doble, so this will be a real treat.

Annie, I've never stayed in this parador, but I know that it's one of the "spa paradores", so make sure to bring the proper attire. :) Or maybe all you need is a towel. But La Granja is such a lovely place to spend some time. The gardens are absolutely beautiful, I remember my kids getting lost in the hedge maze in 2004, hope it's still there. For me, the outside was much more fun than the inside of this "little Versailles," but maybe I have just trudged through too many palaces in my day. One thing's for sure, you won't have the crowds you would have in Versailles, where someone I know last summer waited THREE HOURS to get in and then became part of an endless line of slow moving tourists. At least in La Granja you'd get to enjoy the interior! Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

4/19 Manzanares
4/20 Cerdedilla
4/22 Segovia
4/23 Segovia
4/24 Sta Maria del Nieva
4/25 Nava
4/26 Vilagillo
4/27 Alcazaran
4/28 Puente Duero
4/29 Ciguñuela
4/30 Castromonte
5/1 Medina de Rio Seco
5/2 Cuenca
5/3 Santervas de Campos
5/4 Sahagun
Annie, it's just some 2-3kms from Valsain to La Granja de San Ildefonso center. Just keep on the right-hand side of the main road as the walking track runs along it.

Ultreia!

So glad to hear they (or at least he) still seems to be working and in good health.

I'll have to tell you my memory of them, though I'm sure I've posted it before. I arrived in Castromonte close to the end of lunch time with no food. The bar was open and filled with people, all of whom were eating lunch. I went in and asked if I was still able to eat lunch. The owner asked me I had brought the food -- turns out all the workers had their lunch boxes and we're just getting drinks from the cafe. Since I had none, his wife went to their house and brought back a salad, freshly laid eggs that she fried up, homemade chorizo, and something sweet for dessert. I'm sure that's a violation of EU rules, but it was one of the best meals I had that camino. Buen camino, Laurie
Glad to hear from @Madidi that they're still well.

But I'm sure you're mistaken here Laurie that the lady went to "their" house for the provisions because this whole big house with the bar in front of the church IS their property. At least that's what senor told me.

Also it's possible to buy some food in carniceria but unfortunatelly only till 3PM as I was told. One other option is the other bar (Loteria) on the main drag closer to the albergue which sells at least some bread when I was there.

But I'm sure you're mistaken here Laurie that the lady went to "their" house for the provisions because this whole big house with the bar in front of the church IS their property. At least that's what senor told me.

Also it's possible to buy some food in carniceria but unfortunatelly only till 3PM as I was told. One other option is the other bar (Loteria) on the main drag closer to the albergue which sells at least some bread when I was there.

Well, Kinky, you're right as always,;) I didn't actually see where she went, but I know she went to their chicken coop, wherever it was, and her refrigerator, wherever it was, and came back with lunch for a very grateful peregrina! I totally missed that other bar, and I also think that Roger (?) or some other Madrid peregrino said that there is actually a small grocery store in town. When I was there, a truck arrived with one of the best selections of fruit and vegetables I've ever seen in a small town on a Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Sean, they were certainly there when I passed through in mid-May. Spent a few hours in the bar, then in the evening two photographers appeared for a photo-shoot of the bar and its owners. I think it was for a local publication. Great place – very tranquil. My notes suggest it’s called the Bar Caribe, and is unmissable being across the square from the Church.

As you mention in another post, the albergue at Castromonte is excellent, but so are just about all the albergues I stayed at. This camino really surprised me. It’s a lovely walk, is well marked and brilliantly supported by the very good albergues, yet is not well used. I had an entire camino to myself, and enjoyed it immensely.

Annie, the Sepulvedana bus service mentioned by Castillian is excellent. The timetable I picked up in Valsain in May lists services as: Mon-Fri every 45 minutes; Saturday-10 services; Sunday-6 Services.

The gardens at La Granja are lovely, but they don’t like backpacks. Initially the policewoman at the gate did not want to let me in, but eventually accepted my explanation of why pilgrims tend to carry them. She did extract a promise from me that I would not eat/discard rubbish in the garden. Seeing the pristine condition of the place I can understand why they don’t allow picnics.

Sean, they were certainly there when I passed through in mid-May. Spent a few hours in the bar, then in the evening two photographers appeared for a photo-shoot of the bar and its owners. I think it was for a local publication. Great place – very tranquil. My notes suggest it’s called the Bar Caribe, and is unmissable being across the square from the Church.

Aha! Donovan, you're right about the name, Filipinas didn't sit quite right (and I have now searched my memory to realize that the Bar Filipinas is the place in Comillas on the Camino Del Norte where I ate a great meal!). What an amazing couple, I'm sure they get a lot of attention from the media these days. How many people in their mid-90s get up and go to work every day?!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
realize that the Bar Filipinas is the place in Comillas on the Camino Del Norte where I ate a great meal!. [/QUOTE said:
Hi Laurie, thanks for the info. Daughter Kathryn and I are looking at the Camino Del Norte as a possibility for later this year, so Bar Filipinas has been added to the data base. I have followed up on a number of your recommended eateries over the years and never been disappointed. Many thanks.

Sean, they were certainly there when I passed through in mid-May. Spent a few hours in the bar, then in the evening two photographers appeared for a photo-shoot of the bar and its owners. I think it was for a local publication.

Hi Donovan, we were in Castromonte the 14th May last year and there was some filming going on the plaza beside the church, how did we not meet up!! :):) I couldn't agree more with you on the route and the alburgues. With the exception of the alburgue in Santervas, all were excellent: the Santervas one was in a quaint building but the dorm was very basic and the bee's nest on the balcony was a little too close for comfort. I note you are heading for the Primitivo this year: me too hopefully. Thanks to Laurie, I shall be looking out for Bar Filipinas too ;)

Also it's possible to buy some food in carniceria but unfortunatelly only till 3PM

KinkyOne, we searched all over the pueblo for this carnicera but to no avail: we did though get some food from the young lady behind the bar in Bar Loteria.

Take care, be safe.

KinkyOne, we searched all over the pueblo for this carnicera but to no avail: we did though get some food from the young lady behind the bar in Bar Loteria.

Take care, be safe.
Maybe it's closed now and villagers are buying goods from a supply van. I've seen exactly the same in Penaflor de Hornija with two shops closed and this van honking through the village.

€83,-
Maybe it's closed now and villagers are buying goods from a supply van. I've seen exactly the same in Penaflor de Hornija with two shops closed and this van honking through the village.

We found the shop attached to the bar. Access to it is via the bar, and Ana from the bar serves you. This is good, because it means that while the bar is open, so is the shop!

There is no draught beer in the bar, but there are small bottles of beer, nice and cold, and Ana gave us tapas of stuffed olives and tiny pieces of battered fish which were delicious. The meal in the evening was sopa, then fried eggs with olives and cold potatoes, and fruit to finish, and with a lovely cognac as a night cap. We bought some yoghurt and bottled water from Anas' shop for the next day.

I agree with all Sean said about the albergue. Lovely people, lovely town, shame about the albergue. The only good thing was that you could walk out in the morning without worrying about where to leave the key - there isn't one.

be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan

We found the shop attached to the bar. Access to it is via the bar, and Ana from the bar serves you. This is good, because it means that while the bar is open, so is the shop!

There is no draught beer in the bar, but there are small bottles of beer, nice and cold, and Ana gave us tapas of stuffed olives and tiny pieces of battered fish which were delicious. The meal in the evening was sopa, then fried eggs with olives and cold potatoes, and fruit to finish, and with a lovely cognac as a night cap. We bought some yoghurt and bottled water from Anas' shop for the next day.

I agree with all Sean said about the albergue. Lovely people, lovely town, shame about the albergue. The only good thing was that you could walk out in the morning without worrying about where to leave the key - there isn't one.

be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan
I guess the things in these small villages are changing all the time :D

I just was looking at my blog from my last Madrid walk and found the bus schedule for the bus from Valsain to La Granja and then to Segovia. Looks like it leaves about every hour and costs around €1,30 - Here is a link if you want to see the schedule. I'll get a better photo this year:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/05/to-segovia.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi Elin - I noticed that you live in Ashland, OR - so do I. Back in Sept. I walked the CdM. If you are in town and would like to connect feel free to send me a message. Marcella

Hi Elin - I noticed that you live in Ashland, OR - so do I. Back in Sept. I walked the CdM. If you are in town and would like to connect feel free to send me a message. Marcella
Hi neighbor! Just picked this note up. Love to meet. I like Bloomsbery Bookstore café. Give me some dates and times and we can work out a meet. With gratitude, Elin

Hi neighbor! Just picked this note up. Love to meet. I like Bloomsbery Bookstore café. Give me some dates and times and we can work out a meet. With gratitude, Elin
Hi Elin - Tomorrow, Tues., 1/26 between 11-2; Thursday, 1/28,just about any time, Saturday, 1/30 after 10AM - do any of these work for you? Bloomsbury's is one of my favorites as well. Marcella

Just a reminder - for private messages please use the "Start a conversation" button that pops up when you open your inbox.

Hi Elin - Tomorrow, Tues., 1/26 between 11-2; Thursday, 1/28,just about any time, Saturday, 1/30 after 10AM - do any of these work for you? Bloomsbury's is one of my favorites as well. Marcella
Tomorrow at the bookstore at 12 will work for me, Marcella. Black clothes red scarf is me. Thanks. Elin

@Parisian and @intrepidtraveler you may find 500 or so people turn up at Bloomsburys Bookstore Cafe, all wearing black clothes and red scarfs!

Please don't post private messages in the public part of the forum - use the "Start a Conversation" button for making private arrangements.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Parisian and @intrepidtraveler you may find 500 or so people turn up at Bloomsburys Bookstore Cafe, all wearing black clothes and red scarfs!

Please don't post private messages in the public part of the forum - use the "Start a Conversation" button for making private arrangements.

Hi Kanga, I do not know where that is? Would have liked to have done that. Thanks.

I have searched this forum and can't find Sra. Elena's (Manzanares) phone number, which I know was listed somewhere.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Hi, Annie,
I have tried to find that phone number but can't, but what I did see was that there is also a man in Mananares who offers rooms to pilgrims. So I think that you will find a place. There is a tourist office in Manzanares, so I would go there when you arrive and see how they can help you. It's such a shame that that lovely albergue is now closed, but it's good that private places have stepped up.

Turismo has tel.number 918 530 009 and Sra.Elena's address is Calle Alamos 22 if that helps.

Note from mod: changed the telephone number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turismo has tel.number 918 530 009 and Sra.Elena's address is Calle Alamos 22 if that helps.

Note from mod: changed the telephone number.

I edited the post to put in the right number, Kinky had made a typo. I called that number to see what I could find out, but they are only open till 3 pm Spain time. I'll try again tomorrow if I remember.

€83,-
I have searched this forum and can't find Sra. Elena's (Manzanares) phone number, which I know was listed somewhere.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Just called the oficina de turismo. The woman told me that as of last month, the Señora en Calle Álamos no longer opens her home to pilgrims. I asked if she had heard anything about other in-town informal options like this and she said no. Also, the hotel right next to the castle has closed. There's the albergue in Mataelpino, 5 km away, as you know. So, she gave me a list of casas rurales and I've found websites for all of them.

Hotel Rural El Yelmo http://www.hotelruralelyelmo.es/
CR El Mirador de la Maliciosa http://www.miradorlamaliciosa.com/
CR La Escala http://www.laescalacasarural.com/
CR La Pedriza http://www.ruralpedriza.com/

I don't know if any of them offer pilgrim prices, and I don't know how close they are to the Camino, but it would be worth an email or two. Also, I would be happy to make some phone calls.

It is too bad if there's nowhere for pilgrims to stay in Manzanares, because the castle is really worth a long leisurely visit, and there are beautiful walks around the area.

Buen camino, Laurie

Okaaay thanks! I just wrote to them to ask if they can send me the credential in advance so I don't have to go hunting for it when I arrive, yuck.

I was torn between a lot of Caminos this year but it seems as if I've finally settled for Madrid. Then Salvador, then the Primitivo, as it looks like I can stich them all together! I will be zig-zagging over continental Spain like a lunatic but whatever... Oh oh, let's see what awaits me this time...

I'll be plowing through all the posts about the Madrid in order to get prepared, please feel free to enlighten me about what's not to miss or what's to avoid...

/BP

Just called the oficina de turismo. The woman told me that as of last month, the Señora en Calle Álamos no longer opens her home to pilgrims. I asked if she had heard anything about other in-town informal options like this and she said no. Also, the hotel right next to the castle has closed. There's the albergue in Mataelpino, 5 km away, as you know. So, she gave me a list of casas rurales and I've found websites for all of them.

I don't know if any of them offer pilgrim prices, and I don't know how close they are to the Camino, but it would be worth an email or two. Also, I would be happy to make some phone calls.

It is too bad if there's nowhere for pilgrims to stay in Manzanares, because the castle is really worth a long leisurely visit, and there are beautiful walks around the area.

Buen camino, Laurie

I contacted El Yelmo and the price there is €57 for a doble, €70 with breakfast (for 2 people) but breakfast is not until 9 am.
They want a credit card and will charge €10 for a no=show.

I wonder if the old man still rents rooms?
And someone in a previous post said if you call the number on the hotel, the man will come and give you a room. I wonder if this is true?
Personally, I won't be able to go another 5 k.
I suppose we could possibly get a taxi from there to Mataelpino.
I'll contact the other Casas and then see what my walking partner wants to do.

Okaaay thanks! I just wrote to them to ask if they can send me the credential in advance so I don't have to go hunting for it when I arrive, yuck.

I was torn between a lot of Caminos this year but it seems as if I've finally settled for Madrid. Then Salvador, then the Primitivo, as it looks like I can stich them all together! I will be zig-zagging over continental Spain like a lunatic but whatever... Oh oh, let's see what awaits me this time...

I'll be plowing through all the posts about the Madrid in order to get prepared, please feel free to enlighten me about what's not to miss or what's to avoid...

/BP

We walked without a guide, and no problems except that one bad arrow right out of Valdestillas. When you get to the bridge past the town, you'll see a very clear yellow arrow across the highway leading into a forest. If you take that route, you'll end up somewhere else. Ignore it and turn left, following the highway and more yellow arrows. Except for that, we found the route well-marked and easily followed with no guide.

. I contacted El Yelmo and the price there is €57 for a doble, €70 with breakfast (for 2 people) but breakfast is not until 9 am.
They want a credit card and will charge €10 for a no=show.

I wonder if the old man still rents rooms?
And someone in a previous post said if you call the number on the hotel, the man will come and give you a room. I wonder if this is true?
Personally, I won't be able to go another 5 k.
I suppose we could possibly get a taxi from there to Mataelpino.
I'll contact the other Casas and then see what my walking partner wants to do.

Annie, I think the hotel you are referring to is the Hotel El Parque, right next to the castle and now closed. The phone number I found for it online is 918 53 99 12. I called that number and got a recording that the phone was either turned off or out of the service area. The interesting thing was that the recording gave a different phone number as being the one I had called, which means that the hotel has forwarded calls to a new number, so maybe there is hope that when this man is no longer "fuera de cobertura" he will answer the phone and give you a room.

More info on the hotels Laurie listed:

La Escala:
Rates and Offers
Double room from October to May (minimum stay 2 nights): 60 € / night
Double room from June to September: 1 night 70 €. 2 nights 55 € / night
Optional breakfast: € 5 per person The prices are including VAT The house also rented complete. Check Rates and conditions

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen camino, Laurie
Oh, that's too bad about Sra.Elena. And former pilgrim albergue too, of course. But there's still this man offering pilgrim acommodation if I remember correctly from previous posts.

I haven't been up to former albergue site but would risk sleeping outside in case of warm weather/summer on my next CdM. Now that I know the route I would start in the suburbs of Madrid, sleep the first night in Tres Cantos, the second one in Colmenar Viejo and on the thrid day visit castle in Manzanares (was closed when I was there) and push on to Mataelpino. Perfect short stages at the beginning.

Thanks for update on Sra.Elena, Laurie!

But there's still this man offering pilgrim acommodation if I remember correctly from previous posts.

Kinky, can you find any more information about "this man"? I haven't been able to find anything, and it'd be nice to be able to give Camino de Madrid pilgrims this option in Manzanares if it's a real one. Annie thought the man was the owner of the closed hotel, and that he opened it for pilgrims, at least I think that's what she heard. I called the hotel (Hotel parque) and the call was forwarded to a cell phone, but that cell phone was out of service range or turned off when I called. So I'm not sure if that's the man or not.

If anyone can find a previous post about this or has some additional information, let us know. Manzanares is a really nice stop, and it´d be great to have an alternative to an expensive Hotel Rural. Buen camino, Laurie

I have done
Madrid- Tres Cantos,
Tres Cantos- Manzanares
Manzanares- Cercedilla.

Cercedilla to Segovia I have walked many times for a long time with mountain group in different routes.
What I liked the most of these three stages was the splendid view and unknown for me of La Pedriza and El Yelmo from the hill previous to Manzanares.
I hadn't been there before and I was really surprised.

Colmenar to Mataelpino is about 21 km, isn't that about the same distance as your first day from Tres Cantos to Colmenar?
Yes, it should be fine. I looked at the map after I posted, and we can just skip Manzanares altogether. Although it's a shame because they walk (the back way) from Yelmo back to the Camino was really pretty.

I have done
Madrid- Tres Cantos,
Tres Cantos- Manzanares
Manzanares- Cercedilla.

Cercedilla to Segovia I have walked many times for a long time with mountain group in different routes.
What I liked the most of these three stages was the splendid view and unknown for me of La Pedriza and El Yelmo from the hill previous to Manzanares.
I hadn't been there before and I was really surprised.

Yes, it's just beautiful along the river.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.