• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Madrid later this week ....

Undermanager

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
Decision made. I need some sun. Will fly to Madrid probably Sunday for one or two days (I see Norwegian Air fly to Madrid now), walk north to the Camino Frances over 2 weeks or so, then turn left for Santiago. I'm currently going through the forum and copying and pasting notes, esp Kinky Ones (thanks) and have downloaded the CSJ's pdf (not read it yet though) and a list of albergues. Can anyone tell me:

a) Where can I get set of walking gpx coordinates from Madrid to Sahagun? I get lost easily!
b) Is there an office in the church of Santiago I need to go to in Madrid for the creditial?
c) I'm happy to take a bus or metro to get to the outskirts of Madrid. Any easy-to-follow hints on the best way out of Madrid to a convenient point to pick up signs?
d) Any other top blogs for this walk you can point me to, especially with places to stay / directions?
e) Any other top tips?

My main problem at the moment seems to be nailing down directions to albergues, although if the weather is good, I fully intend to sleep outside. And I speak no Spanish except 'Hola'.

Thanks

Dave
:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Dave,

First of all, welcome to the forum!
Sounds like a plan. Here are answers to a few of your questions to get you started.

GPS tracks -- I've found the best Camino tracks on wikiloc.com Here's a link to my search for "camino de madrid a santiago" http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/find.do?t=&d=&lfr=&lto=&src=&act=1,&uom=mi&q=camino+de+madrid+a+santiago (you'll see you have lots of users to choose from)

You can get the credential in the church of Santiago in old Madrid. If you search through the forum, you'll see a precise walking map that will get you there. hours 10-1 and 6-8

You'll also see on the forumd that there is a split of opinion about walking out of Madrid. I personally think it's one of the easiest exits on a Camino from any Spanish city. You can leave from the Plaza de CAstilla, and in a very few kms you are out in the fields. No industrial area to traverse absolutely. But there are cercania trains (the commuter lines) that will take you to Fuencarral or further to Tres Cantos, or even further all the way to Colmenar el Viejo.

I walked the Madrid-Frances-Invierno combination a few years ago and thought it was great. I had a blog, http://peregrina2000.blogspot.pt but it is a few years older than Kinky's from last year. There are a few new albergues (outside Segovia for instance) and some of the "bad" albergues have reportedly been fixed up, like Ane.

my stages are here -- I walked at a rather leisurely pace, as you'll see https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-leisurely-stages-on-the-camino-de-madrid.11148/

My only tip would be that if you like Spanish cities, a detour to spend a day in Valladolid is IMO well worth it. A very pretty plaza mayor, a great museum of Spanish sculpture in a beautiful Renaissance building, good restaurants, etc. All in alll, I thought it was a great way to spend a day.

You will find that this route is extremely well marked, filled with albergues that you will find easily, and all in all a delightful route! Buen camino, let us know how it goes, Laurie

Decision made. I need some sun. Will fly to Madrid probably Sunday for one or two days (I see Norwegian Air fly to Madrid now), walk north to the Camino Frances over 2 weeks or so, then turn left for Santiago. I'm currently going through the forum and copying and pasting notes, esp Kinky Ones (thanks) and have downloaded the CSJ's pdf (not read it yet though) and a list of albergues. Can anyone tell me:

a) Where can I get set of walking gpx coordinates from Madrid to Sahagun? I get lost easily!
b) Is there an office in the church of Santiago I need to go to in Madrid for the creditial?
c) I'm happy to take a bus or metro to get to the outskirts of Madrid. Any easy-to-follow hints on the best way out of Madrid to a convenient point to pick up signs?
d) Any other top blogs for this walk you can point me to, especially with places to stay / directions?
e) Any other top tips?

My main problem at the moment seems to be nailing down directions to albergues, although if the weather is good, I fully intend to sleep outside. And I speak no Spanish except 'Hola'.

Thanks

Dave
:)
Hola, Dave!

You'll be OK. If you read my posts and Laurie's blog along with other valuable threads here you won't have to deal with much problems. Laurie answered most of your questions so I'll just add that already mentioned albergue past Segovia is Zamarramala. And few days ago forum member @Maya Amanecer 2015 finished CdM and she reported nothing special apart from new albergue in Mataelpino some 8kms further from Manzanares.

You can find GPS tracks in my posts (for each day there is one added to photos) but also you can find them here:
http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/madrid.html

Let us know how it goes, please ;)

Ultreia!

PS (For any additional info just ask.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why thank you both for your posts. I've just this minute booked my flight for next Tuesday 12th May one way with Norwegian Air Birmingham to Madrid. I'm not too sure when I'll go home or from where but the plan is to get to Santiago! I spent today going through both of your notes and blogs and making notes so am fairly clued up now, and there isn't much else to do apart from pack a few things, work out how to walk out of Madrid without getting lost, do a bit more research on things to see and book a night or two in Madrid for a bit of sight-seeing. Any recommendations for cheapy guesthouses in Madrid? Also, would you say a sleeping mat is necessary? I want to travel as light as possible. And of course, I will post regular updates for anyone who is interested.

If anyone is reading this and wants to join me for some or all of the way next week, you'd be more the welcome. Perhaps you are sitting and staring out at the rain and the wind in the UK like I am, wondering what I am doing sitting here ......

Last edited:
I walked the Madrid from Segovia to Valladolid a week ago. Things really are looking up, albergue-wise! No more leaky bullrings, lots of shiny new municipals, but still some basic scruffy places to keep it real!

I am planning to walk the Camino de Madrid in September -arriving in Madrid around the 2nd-3rd. So far I've read over the other posts about places to stay, etc. Other than alberques, do many, if any, of the towns along the camino de Madrid offer B-n-B or hotel type accommodations? Are grocery stores, cafes generally available? Thanks for any tips.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Dave,

My only tip would be that if you like Spanish cities, a detour to spend a day in Valladolid is IMO well worth it. A very pretty plaza mayor, a great museum of Spanish sculpture in a beautiful Renaissance building,

I agree. We made the trip into Valladolid to visit the Science Museum. They have a Foucault Pendulum, should you be interested in such things. There's an hourly bus service there and back to Puente, (great albergue!), if you don't want to detour, so you could do a late afternoon-evening trip into the city.

Love, Love, LOVE the Camino Madrid.
Regarding your questions, what Laurie and Rebekah said.
Grocery stores were all along the way, as were bars, except in one or two tiny villages.
B&B's and hotels were a bit of a mix ... in some places, but not all.

I am planning to walk the Camino de Madrid in September -arriving in Madrid around the 2nd-3rd. So far I've read over the other posts about places to stay, etc. Other than alberques, do many, if any, of the towns along the camino de Madrid offer B-n-B or hotel type accommodations? Are grocery stores, cafes generally available? Thanks for any tips.

Hi, intrepidtraveler,
Welcome to the forum. Early September is likely to be very hot on the Camino de Madrid, so I would carry a lot more water than usual.

There are private accommodations in many but not all of the towns. I just glanced quickly at my stages, and my probably imperfect memory is that in days 1-4 and 12-14 there were private options, but not in between, at least not that I saw. I could be wrong about that. And there are also other ways to break up the days of course, so you might find more. If you read the other posts on this section, you'll see that there are frequently little grocery stores "hidden" in houses without much indication. I also was treated on occasion with the arrival of a fruit truck or bread truck, which I'm sure come on some kind of schedule, but not one known to me. But I never had a problem finding food.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Any recommendations for a sim card for Spain, for data mainly but also the odd phone call within Spain? I'll need to pick one up from somewhere in Madrid.

Ta :)

Any recommendations for a sim card for Spain, for data mainly but also the odd phone call within Spain? I'll need to pick one up from somewhere in Madrid.

Anniesantiago just posted about this on another thread. She uses vodaphone. I always use movistar (which used to be the state owned telephone service). I have had no problems with movistar and Annie has had no problems with vodaphone, so unless others can help out with some comparisons, I'd say the two are pretty much the same. And if you see a vodaphone store, you will inevitably see a movistar store very close by, they go head to head in almost every market.

I should also add, though, that I use the card only for calls in Spain and I use wifi, which is everywhere, for internet. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks to all for their replies to my post. When you say very hot do you mean 80's, 90's or triple digits (F)? I was hoping to find an alternative to the CF that was less crowded and still interesting.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hullo Dave, Another last minute decision, I start walking tomorrow - slowly, so you might well catch me. I came to Europe on other matters and made a rather late decision to walk a camino as part of the trip. It is such a long journey it seemed a pity not to take advantage. My grateful thanks to the many people who have posted comments and remarks on this forum, the information has been essential to my belated planning. Special thanks for detailed reports to Laurie (as always), K1 (buen camino for the Levante), Ruimsig and Phillypilgrim. My plans on reaching Sahagun are vague - maybe continue on the Salvador to Oviedo if I think I can take the hills - I'll see how I go on the stage from Cercadilla to Valsain or Segovia.
Again my thanks to all, the information available is simply amazing.
Donovan

Hi Donovan. Hope you have a great journey. I will set off the middle of next week probably, as long as I can sort out the credential on Tuesday evening. I wish I'd got my act together at the beginning of May like I was supposed to! I just want to get going now. Oh well. Post some updates so we can all see how you are doing and where you get to.

Kinkyone - has part 16 of the gps coordinated gone walkies, please? :)

Dave

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I've bought Orange SIM card in Madrid and still have it. Coverage was OK but then again I didn't make much calls for reservations in advance. Just a backup stuff.

When you say very hot do you mean 80's, 90's or triple digits (F)?

Weather in September can be a bit hit or miss from a temperature point of view. You can find maximum temperatures in the low 90's F as well as maximum temperatures in the high 70's F. Maximum temperatures of 95F might happen but aren't so likely and if they occur, you'll likely find them just on isolated days. Temperatures of three digits F aren't unknown on some places along the route but you are unlikely to find them as they would be very close to the records for early September for those areas.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Apologies. I have all the gps parts from 1 to 18, except part 16. Is it missing?

Apologies. I have all the gps parts from 1 to 18, except part 16. Is it missing?
Ooops, thank you for spotting this. I've had no idea that I missed posting it. But now I have a problem. I can't post anything on this forum (because of some PC settings I don't understand). If you PM me your E-mail I can send it to you right now.

B.

Weather in September can be a bit hit or miss from a temperature point of view. You can find maximum temperatures in the low 90's F as well as maximum temperatures in the high 70's F. Maximum temperatures of 95F might happen but aren't so likely and if they occur, you'll likely find them just on isolated days. Temperatures of three digits F aren't unknown on some places along the route but you are unlikely to find them as they would be very close to the records for early September for those areas.

Thank you, Castilian for taking the time to reply.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Love, Love, LOVE the Camino Madrid.
Regarding your questions, what Laurie and Rebekah said.
Grocery stores were all along the way, as were bars, except in one or two tiny villages.
B&B's and hotels were a bit of a mix ... in some places, but not all.

Anniesantiago - what is that you love about the Camino Madrid

Thanks for #16, Kinky One. I have a complete set now! I'm just packing and trying to keep the weight down!

Can I ask you, did you phone ahead to albergues or did you just arrive?

I will probably start my walk from My first stop will be the Albergue in Tres Cantos, and then I will aim for Mataelpino on the second day.

What's Cercedilla like? Anything to see or just a stopping place for one night? I have booked a room in a nice small hotel for one night.

Also, where to stay in Segovia? Is Albergue Camino de Lis open? Other places?

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
What's Cercedilla like? Anything to see or just a stopping place for one night?

The municipality of Cercedilla includes part of the Sierra de Guadarrama National Part, a roman road, some bridges... The town itself has several churches. If you happen to be on a weekend, you could visit the Ski Museum and, upon request, the Fábrica de la Luz. For more info about the museum and the Fábrica de la Luz, take a look here:

http://museodelesqui.com

Thanks for #16, Kinky One. I have a complete set now! I'm just packing and trying to keep the weight down!

Can I ask you, did you phone ahead to albergues or did you just arrive?

I will probably start my walk from My first stop will be the Albergue in Tres Cantos, and then I will aim for Mataelpino on the second day.

What's Cercedilla like? Anything to see or just a stopping place for one night? I have booked a room in a nice small hotel for one night.

Also, where to stay in Segovia? Is Albergue Camino de Lis open? Other places?

Thanks

Dave
Nice you have completed them all.

I have never, not even once, phoned ahead on Camino de Madrid. Sometimes I had to drink a beer or two while waiting for the right person with the key to show up but that wasn't really a hard thing to do ;)
Remember that Albergue in Tres Cantos isn't really albergue and that after 7PM you will be locked inside Ayuntamiento building and under alarm. So stock up beforehand.
To tell you the truth I've seen Cercedilla the next day when walking through it in the rain... and wasn't really aware of the things around. That was because I slept in polideportivo which is at entrance and the closest DIA supermercado is on this side of the center of Cercedilla. That was actually all I needed on that day :) I remember a bronze statue of Francisco Fernandez Ochoa, famous alpine skier (Olympics medalist), brother of maybe even more famous Blanca Fernandez Ochoa (also Olympics medalist). And that was it.
I've heard that in Segovia Hostel Duerme Vela (http://www.duermevelahostel.com/) is very nice but since I walked slightly shorter stage from Valsain that day I waited till late afternoon in Segovia and then enjoyed brand new completely empty albergue in Zamarramala all for myself. Zamarramala is maybe half an hour from Alcazar in Segovia.

Enjoy it!

I arrived in Segovia this afternoon. Staying at Hostal Duerme Vela. The Hostal is very well located, the facilities are excellent and the hospitallero Guillermo is very helpful. Double rooms and a four bed dormitory are available. From Cercedilla I detoured through Valsain and Granja, which is well worth a visit to see the fantastic gardens. I would have stayed in Granja but today the Albergue Turistico was closed. Normally it is open on Sundays, but not today. There is a regular bus service from Valsain to Granja and Segovia.

Rules at Tres Cantos seem to have changed. The lady who checked me in was charming and welcoming, and gave me clear instruction to be in from dinner by 9:00pm, and definitely to be out by 6:00am. Spanish only, no English spoken. Early start is no particular problem except that there is still about half an hour of darkness remaining, and no bar or coffee place is open at that time of the morning. I pre-walked about 10 minutes of the exit route and this was sufficient.

Pilgrims seen so far - none.

I arrived in Segovia this afternoon. Staying at Hostal Duerme Vela. The Hostal is very well located, the facilities are excellent and the hospitallero Guillermo is very helpful. Double rooms and a four bed dormitory are available. From Cercedilla I detoured through Valsain and Granja, which is well worth a visit to see the fantastic gardens. I would have stayed in Granja but today the Albergue Turistico was closed. Normally it is open on Sundays, but not today. There is a regular bus service from Valsain to Granja and Segovia.

Rules at Tres Cantos seem to have changed. The lady who checked me in was charming and welcoming, and gave me clear instruction to be in from dinner by 9:00pm, and definitely to be out by 6:00am. Spanish only, no English spoken. Early start is no particular problem except that there is still about half an hour of darkness remaining, and no bar or coffee place is open at that time of the morning. I pre-walked about 10 minutes of the exit route and this was sufficient.

Thanks for this update. I remember to get out in the morning was of much more importance than getting in in the evening. Strange... But 9PM, wow, that's luxurious, hahaha.

Ultreia!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Donovan,

It's good to hear your that your Camino de Madrid is going well. Did you walk to La Granja from Valsain? Is it marked, or just on the side of the road? I think La Granja is a beautiful place to visit and would make a nice stopping point. Too bad the albergue wasn't open but at least you got to see the gardens. My kids say they still remember the maze in the gardens, and they were there 20 years ago at ages 14 and 11!

Buen camino, hope the temperatures stay in the reasonable range, it looked like it was going to heat up next week. Laurie

Hi Laurie, I caught the bus from Valsain to Granja. On arrival there was a lovely, shiny Sepulvedana bus standing in the square. It was hot and I was tired, so I hopped on. Valsain could be worth a bit of time. It has two museums that may be interesting - museum of the sea, and museum of art of Africa and Oceania. The entry to the town is rather unattractive, but it looked a lot better as the bus went through it. There is a walking track alongside the road. My Galileo map also shows a track linking the towns, it's rather roundabout through the forest so probably adds a km or two. Walking and mountain biking are so big in that area that I imagine it would be signposted. Regarding signposting, I saw a single, large flecha on a tree about halfway down the mountain from the 591km take-off. Strange. I had not heard of the gardens at Granja, but they are something really special, I am so pleased I went there. Entry is free, but you may not carry a backpack. I spent some time explaining why pilgrims carry 40litre packs, and eventually the police lady relented and let me in. Her main preoccupation was did I have food in my pack, and would I give an undertaking not to eat it in the gardens. I can understand why, the gardens are absolutely pristine, and picnics do create litter. The Palace too would have been well worth a visit, but I arrived too late and Monday is rest day for palace staff.

For anyone who plans to use the Valsain/Granja option, there is a really good bus service from Valsain via Granja to Segovia. Weekdays every 45 minutes, 10 buses an a Saturday and 6 on a Sunday. BTW, instructions given by you and KinkyOne on how to get to Valsain are excellent.
Donovan

Hi Donovan

Glad it is going well. Your updates are very helpful so thank you. It's good to know about Tres Cantos. My Spanish will be tested - so far, I have learnt 'Hola' .......

I did email here http://www.alberguelagranja.es/reservas.html

and they sent a nice email back the next day saying they look forward to seeing me so I will stop there one night and then after that, who knows ...

20 hours to the flight ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Laurie, I caught the bus from Valsain to Granja. On arrival there was a lovely, shiny Sepulvedana bus standing in the square. It was hot and I was tired, so I hopped on. Valsain could be worth a bit of time. It has two museums that may be interesting - museum of the sea, and museum of art of Africa and Oceania. The entry to the town is rather unattractive, but it looked a lot better as the bus went through it. There is a walking track alongside the road. My Galileo map also shows a track linking the towns, it's rather roundabout through the forest so probably adds a km or two. Walking and mountain biking are so big in that area that I imagine it would be signposted. Regarding signposting, I saw a single, large flecha on a tree about halfway down the mountain from the 591km take-off. Strange. I had not heard of the gardens at Granja, but they are something really special, I am so pleased I went there. Entry is free, but you may not carry a backpack. I spent some time explaining why pilgrims carry 40litre packs, and eventually the police lady relented and let me in. Her main preoccupation was did I have food in my pack, and would I give an undertaking not to eat it in the gardens. I can understand why, the gardens are absolutely pristine, and picnics do create litter. The Palace too would have been well worth a visit, but I arrived too late and Monday is rest day for palace staff.

For anyone who plans to use the Valsain/Granja option, there is a really good bus service from Valsain via Granja to Segovia. Weekdays every 45 minutes, 10 buses an a Saturday and 6 on a Sunday. BTW, instructions given by you and KinkyOne on how to get to Valsain are excellent.
Donovan
Hola, Donovan :)

It's interesting to read that you've found Valsain worth a visit. I can only remember lots of differents kind of animals and cattle just roaming about on the streets ;) And those two museums were really something worth Luis Bunuel surrealistic film althought they were closed by the time I got there.
The walking track alongside the road from Valsain to La Granja doesn't add even 10 meters as it runs alongside all the time. Maybe sometimes it detours few meters away (because of the bridges) but that's it. And as I wrote in my journal I kind of regret I didn't walked to La Granja the day I came to Valsain. I don't know about those 3kms from La Granja to albergue turistico though. But OTOH those additional 3kms can be equalized with the 3kms from Cercedilla if not staying in polideportivo there. But I did have a rainy day so I was really fed up with walking for the day and didn't even think about walking further on to La Granja. If the day would be nice and sunny I'd just might done so. Something for @Undermanager to think about ;)

Ultreia!

PS (And if you meet the owner/hospitalero of Zamarramala albergue (owner of the shop there also) by any chance, please give him my regards - from a "Hermano Republicano de Eslovenia" (I wore castro cap with international brigades flag from Spanish civil war) ;))

Anyone know of a GPS track from the airport to the Camino de Madrid?
Have you seen this GPS link for the CM? You might also map your own way from the airport to the starting point.
Good luck and Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

You can get 30 day contract free sims from Yoigo for about 25eur a month.

Anyone know of a GPS track from the airport to the Camino de Madrid?

There are actually two airport sites in Madrid, separated by several kms, so you would first need to know which terminal you are arriving in. If you are flying Iberia or a One World partner, you will arrive in the new T4. All other flights arrive in T1, 2, or 3, which are all close together and connected.

Between the airport and the first arrows on the Madrid (which are at Plaza de Castilla) is a pretty straight east-west line, so the easiest option would probably be to connect at that spot. But I've never walked from the airport.

If you find it's too complicated and requires too many busy roads, there is a 12 minute train ride to Chamartin, which is a bit north of the Plaza Castilla. Good luck with this, let us know what you find out. Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm not sure where you're coming from - or what they have there - but it's hard to find generous tariffs here. You quite often also need a bank account so it might just be easier bringing your native sim card and being frugal with it.

LS

... You quite often also need a bank account so it might just be easier bringing your native sim card and being frugal with it. LS

Not my experience, I got a Spanish SIM card without problems! The guy in the selling point simply registered my address as being at said selling point. I wonder how many pilgrims are registered to live in that little shop in Ponferrada ;-) SY

Not my experience, I got a Spanish SIM card without problems! The guy in the selling point simply registered my address as being at said selling point. I wonder how many pilgrims are registered to live in that little shop in Ponferrada ;-) SY

My experience was different than both described. I had no problem buying a SIM card, and I buy one every year for my antique Spanish cell phone. But one thing that changed about 6 years ago was that they started asking for my passport before they would sell me a card. It was explained to me that this is security related.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is true too. You need your NIE (Nat ID card for foreigners) or passport for most/many things.

Pragmatism obviously overcame the lack of the potential sale of a sim in Ponferrada.

On the plus side, they'll give you almost anything you want over the counter in the pharmacy (within reason! ).

... But one thing that changed about 6 years ago was that they started asking for my passport before they would sell me a card. It was explained to me that this is security related.

Me guesses that is were the 'address bit' comes in, as not every passport, being from different countries, has an address in it. SY

I have no problem with giving my ID number / showing my passport (ID card in this case since I'm from EU). I can understand it is for security reasons but it can (hopefully not) also be for my security if I can relate it a little bit to recent disappearance. Especially because I'm going to walk much less traveled Camino.

I bought my Ortange SIM card last year in Madrid but used it only for some calls with my old (very simple) cell phone. I was just thinking of getting this Yoigo card for data (Whatsupp, Viber etc. included) so if I really need some info in between wi-fi options I can get it.

I find its price very reasonable for a month of unlimited data transfer without searching for wifi in bars which at the end of the day cost me much more ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tonight I am in Nava de Asuncion, in one of the best albergues ever.

K1, I have your walking notes with me and they have been great. They have kept me out of problems a few times, and in the hot weather the advice on location of fountains has meant I can keep my water weight down, knowing where I can refill. Today I met Conti in the Casa Cultural. I showed her what you wrote about your experience here last year (hope you don't mind) and she was quite touched by it. She took a copy.

For those following, the albergue at Ane has been painted and in my view is completely acceptable. It is very basic, certainly, but offers all a pilgrim needs - bed, hot shower, toilet, and all in good condition. There is no kitchen or cooking facility of any kind, and there is no bar in the village. Bring your own food and be prepared to eat it cold.

Donovan

Tonight I am in Nava de Asuncion, in one of the best albergues ever.

K1, I have your walking notes with me and they have been great. They have kept me out of problems a few times, and in the hot weather the advice on location of fountains has meant I can keep my water weight down, knowing where I can refill. Today I met Conti in the Casa Cultural. I showed her what you wrote about your experience here last year (hope you don't mind) and she was quite touched by it. She took a copy.

For those following, the albergue at Ane has been painted and in my view is completely acceptable. It is very basic, certainly, but offers all a pilgrim needs - bed, hot shower, toilet, and all in good condition. There is no kitchen or cooking facility of any kind, and there is no bar in the village. Bring your own food and be prepared to eat it cold.

Donovan
Oh, Donovan, THANK YOU so very much for that with Conchi!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still so grateful both to her and Margarita at pasteleria. Did you met her also? Such a nice and non-stop laughing senora :)

In Ane there is a bar but opens only on Friday or Saturday evening. It's located at the lefthand side of Ayuntamiento as you look at the building from the main plaza. In the morning that's the spot where a "tienda bus" stops and you can buy some food as there's nothing similar for 12,5kms until Sta.Maria. But you're well past that point ;)

Keep on!

Last edited:
Hi Intrepid One!!
I walked the Frances in 2013, and am considering doing either the Madrid route or Frances in September 2015 (but only starting in Pamplona) - I'd be interested to know more about the Madrid.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had not heard of the gardens at Granja, but they are something really special, I am so pleased I went there.

Some days along the year (very few of them), you can also see some of the fountains working at some specific hour (if there's no drought) what makes it even more special (if crowds don't ruin the experience, i.e.). The best way to know about those days would be consulting the web of the Palace or asking locally once on the ground. Tip: Santiago day is usually one of those days.

Web of the palace:

http://www.patrimonionacional.es/real-sitio/palacios/6252

Hi Intrepid One!!
I walked the Frances in 2013, and am considering doing either the Madrid route or Frances in September 2015 (but only starting in Pamplona) - I'd be interested to know more about the Madrid.
Hola, hansking,

Take a look in this thread dedicated to Camino de Madrid and you'll get more than enough info to decide if this route would suits you ;)

Ultreia!

Tonight I am in Alacazaren. Lovely walking the last few days through wheat fields and pine forests. Heaps of wild flowers everywhere. The country is a picture, though it has been a bit hot. Nice place Alcazaren. Bar Real is good and albergue also.

Yesterday in Villeguillo was great. It's the real one-bar town, so if you want to meet the whole village all you do is go to the bar. Good people live there. The guy with the key, Pedro, is very helpful and understands to talk slowly to Spanish challenged people like me.

K1, apologies for mis-spelling Conchi's name. She and Marguerite are a fun duo. Not sure if they have changed the key system. I went to the Pastellaria, but Marguerite sent me to Conchi at the Casa Cultura to collect the key. The Casa Cultura opens at 2:00pm. Good restaurant just around the corner from the Pastellaria.
Donovan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tonight I am in Alacazaren. Lovely walking the last few days through wheat fields and pine forests. Heaps of wild flowers everywhere. The country is a picture, though it has been a bit hot. Nice place Alcazaren. Bar Real is good and albergue also.

Yesterday in Villeguillo was great. It's the real one-bar town, so if you want to meet the whole village all you do is go to the bar. Good people live there. The guy with the key, Pedro, is very helpful and understands to talk slowly to Spanish challenged people like me.

K1, apologies for mis-spelling Conchi's name. She and Marguerite are a fun duo. Not sure if they have changed the key system. I went to the Pastellaria, but Marguerite sent me to Conchi at the Casa Cultura to collect the key. The Casa Cultura opens at 2:00pm. Good restaurant just around the corner from the Pastellaria.
Donovan
:) I can see you are enjoying this route very much. If you liked Villeguillo (one-bar town :D) than I just have to buy you a drink someday. That was one of the nicest overnight stays for me and definitely the funniest.

Bar Real in Alcazaren is also nice, agree completely. Have you tried their food?

How do you find markings so far? Adequate?

As I read yours and @Undermanager 's posts I realize that I will have to go for this trek once again. Also to give my thanks to all those beautiful people out there. Pretty soon!

Ultreia!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.