• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Mozarabe from Almeria Sept 4

Ronald Boivin

Time of past OR future Camino
I’m (solo male) arriving in Almeria Aug 30 planning 2-3 days to get SIM card and supplies. I plan to do a safe Camino north to the Via de la Plata then off to the Camino Sanabrese. I have few concerns except walking in forest fire smoke and dehydration on the very long stretches.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
We walked the Camino in April/May this year and we really enjoyed it. We did run out or water in couple places but luckily there were bars to refill. By the way, there is a new pilgrim albergue in Almeria very close to the old town and the Camino:
The hostel has 10 beds, the address is C/ Doctor Carracido 24, 1-1 Almería. Book in advance by phone or WhatsApp 34 619 860 198. The hostel is a donation with breakfast.

Also we bought Vodafone SIM cards but realized "Moviestar" maybe a better choice -- in some small towns locals were using their cellphones with Moviestar coverage, whereas we didn't have any reception!! We got our SIM card I think from Calle Almeria and there are Orange, Vodafone, Moviestar etc tiendas in that boulevard not far from each others!!

Buen Camino!

We walked the Camino in April/May this year and we really enjoyed it. We did run out or water in couple places but luckily there were bars to refill. By the way, there is a new pilgrim albergue in Almeria very close to the old town and the Camino:
The hostel has 10 beds, the address is C/ Doctor Carracido 24, 1-1 Almería. Book in advance by phone or WhatsApp 34 619 860 198. The hostel is a donation with breakfast.

Also we bought Vodafone SIM cards but realized "Moviestar" maybe a better choice -- in some small towns locals were using their cellphones with Moviestar coverage, whereas we didn't have any reception!! We got our SIM card I think from Calle Almeria and there are Orange, Vodafone, Moviestar etc tiendas in that boulevard not far from each others!!

Buen Camino!
Thank you, thank you, thank you. This answers questions simmering in the back of my mind.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also, I assume you are aware of the Association below, they have a guide (accommodation list too) updated monthly!! The information is very up to date and really helps you to reserve hotels/hostals etc between Granada and Cordoba! There is also a nice donativo albergue in Granada too, very close to Alhambra (if you haven't visited it yet, you do need to reserve tickets in advance!)

here's some important info from the website:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION :
- IT IS NECESSARY TO CONTACT THE ASSOCIATION BY TELEPHONE +34 622 29 34 13 TO STAY IN THE ASSOCIATION'S SHELTERS IN THE TOWNS OF RIOJA, SANTA CRUZ DE MARCHENA, ALBOLODUY, OCAÑA, ABLA, HUENEJA, LA PEZA AND QUENTAR. The above hostels are NOT RESERVED. (I think WhatsApp is just as good and is better than Emails!!)

- IT IS IMPORTANT AND NECESSARY TO RESERVE IN PRIVATE ACCOMMODATIONS, especially if it is a WEEKEND.

Buen Camino!!

Book in advance by phone or WhatsApp 34 619 860 198.
Question re WhatsApp. I can only make a WhatsApp call if I add the recipient to my contact list. Are you constantly adding new contacts? Also, do you have to include country code? Will be a first time for me using this app, usually we do not book ahead but everything seems to have changed in the last few years.

Question re WhatsApp. I can only make a WhatsApp call if I add the recipient to my contact list. Are you constantly adding new contacts? Also, do you have to include country code? Will be a first time for me using this app, usually we do not book ahead but everything seems to have changed in the last few years.
When we were walking the Camino Mozarabe, we entered the phone number for Nely from the Association. I hardly do voice call due to listening Spanish problem and just used text messages which is perfect!! We were constantly being well taken care of from Almeria to Granada with just this one contact with Nely!

And you might not need to constantly adding numbers if you use the WisePilgrim App? I am no espert, but this is the recent thread by WisePilgrim and explained very well:

Hope you could find your answer there!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The recommendation to use WhatsApp to contact the association’s number is really only so they can give you the door code to gain entrance to their string of albuergues from Almeria to Granada. Use country code.
They really are tremendously helpful “ Camino angels” and from Granada onwards their website gives details of accommodation available. It’s a glorious route. Enjoy.

Question re WhatsApp. I can only make a WhatsApp call if I add the recipient to my contact list. Are you constantly adding new contacts? Also, do you have to include country code?
There is a current thread on this topic here, but it is a bit overwhelming! (I am still struggling to understand some of the issues.) I suggest that the easiest thing to do is to add contacts and include the country code, or have the other person send you the first message. You can always remove the contacts later.
And you might not need to constantly adding numbers if you use the WisePilgrim App?
I don't think WisePilgrim covers the Mozarabe, but it does include the VDLP.

Also, I assume you are aware of the Association below, they have a guide (accommodation list too) updated monthly!! The information is very up to date and really helps you to reserve hotels/hostals etc between Granada and Cordoba! There is also a nice donativo albergue in Granada too, very close to Alhambra (if you haven't visited it yet, you do need to reserve tickets in advance!)

here's some important info from the website:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION :
- IT IS NECESSARY TO CONTACT THE ASSOCIATION BY TELEPHONE +34 622 29 34 13 TO STAY IN THE ASSOCIATION'S SHELTERS IN THE TOWNS OF RIOJA, SANTA CRUZ DE MARCHENA, ALBOLODUY, OCAÑA, ABLA, HUENEJA, LA PEZA AND QUENTAR. The above hostels are NOT RESERVED. (I think WhatsApp is just as good and is better than Emails!!)

- IT IS IMPORTANT AND NECESSARY TO RESERVE IN PRIVATE ACCOMMODATIONS, especially if it is a WEEKEND.

Buen Camino!!
Thank you Simon. You are a wealth of I formation for me here in Edmonton.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a current thread on this topic here, but it is a bit overwhelming! (I am still struggling to understand some of the issues.) I suggest that the easiest thing to do is to add contacts and include the country code, or have the other person send you the first message. You can always remove the contacts later.

I don't think WisePilgrim covers the Mozarabe, but it does include the VDLP.
Thank you for the link. It was very helpful.
I will have to add each # individually on WhatsApp. What I like is you see immediately who is using the App.
When I added the app I had to give access to my contacts, otherwise I was unable to start a chat or phone call.

As for WisePilgrim, it does not cover Camino Mozárabe.
I am using MapsME. I have more or less mapped out the route ahead of time. I did this in 2019.

I appreciate everyone’s comments on the subject. Thanks again.

You are welcome Ronald! You are not far away from Saskatoon where we live!

Also I just browse through my file and this might be useful to you:
In Granada:
-- reserve places to visit the Alhambra palace. you can't buy same-day tickets to the Alhambra. tickets booking: need more than 3 hours to enjoy the visit and see everything.
https://www.alhambra-patronato.es/?ca=0&lg=es-ES

places to stay:
-- Hospedería Convento Hermanas Comendadoras de Santiago , 23e, single or double rooms.
Telephone: +34 958 22 52 50, Cell +34 662 69 92 85
-- Albergue del Monasterio de San Bernardo, arsconditus@hotmail.com, +34 633 241 534 (+34 675 457 934) Andoni Martínez, el hospitalero, y Elisabetta

We stayed three nights at the Monasterio de San Bernado, it is right in the old town and very close to Alhambra! They have an albergue section and also a private room section, both donativo!! We "donated" amounts similar to hotel rooms and they were very happy , we like the place and the husband and wife hopitalero/as! Very kind people! If you Email and not hearing from them, try again -- they never confirm our reservation and after our second mail, they replied that they already booked us and didn't think need to reply! They were very busy with other volunteer work and church works!!

By the way, the above listed Convento is beautiful looking through the front door (we got no respond), and is a bit far away from old town.

Also @dsharpe, I use maps.me too and I downloaded the tracks from the Dutch confraternity, it helped us out couple times when we lost the arrows! When we took the scenic detour to Tocón de Quéntar, the maps.me track gave us much needed assurance!

You are welcome Ronald! You are not far away from Saskatoon where we live!

Also I just browse through my file and this might be useful to you:
In Granada:
-- reserve places to visit the Alhambra palace. you can't buy same-day tickets to the Alhambra. tickets booking: need more than 3 hours to enjoy the visit and see everything.
https://www.alhambra-patronato.es/?ca=0&lg=es-ES

places to stay:
-- Hospedería Convento Hermanas Comendadoras de Santiago , 23e, single or double rooms.
Telephone: +34 958 22 52 50, Cell +34 662 69 92 85
-- Albergue del Monasterio de San Bernardo, arsconditus@hotmail.com, +34 633 241 534 (+34 675 457 934) Andoni Martínez, el hospitalero, y Elisabetta

We stayed three nights at the Monasterio de San Bernado, it is right in the old town and very close to Alhambra! They have an albergue section and also a private room section, both donativo!! We "donated" amounts similar to hotel rooms and they were very happy , we like the place and the husband and wife hopitalero/as! Very kind people! If you Email and not hearing from them, try again -- they never confirm our reservation and after our second mail, they replied that they already booked us and didn't think need to reply! They were very busy with other volunteer work and church works!!

By the way, the above listed Convento is beautiful looking through the front door (we got no respond), and is a bit far away from old town.

Also @dsharpe, I use maps.me too and I downloaded the tracks from the Dutch confraternity, it helped us out couple times when we lost the arrows! When we took the scenic detour to Tocón de Quéntar, the maps.me track gave us much needed assurance!
Oh thank you again. All this I go really helps and I’m incorporating it in each location’s file.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.