• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Plans interrupted

Time of past OR future Camino
(2019) Frances
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me or not, due to significant foot problems. After several months of training, I bought plane tickets and packed my gear. I gave myself 2 months for the trip since I am Finally Retired and have the luxury of time. One week prior to take off, my husband asked me to cancel the trip for financial reasons, which were reasonable, so I cancelled my trip and proceeded to mope around the house for a couple of weeks, with feelings of loss and sadness. Then my natural optimism kicked in, now I'm walking a virtual camino, tracking my daily progress of stages/miles/km and am looking forward to another time when I can go to Spain and live the dream in the fall or next spring. Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You have the luxury of time and the luxury of health - for now.
I'm not sure how bad your finances could be and it's none of my business.
Still, I feel you made a decision based on fear
If you want to share your costings with the forum we can advise you whether you were in the right ballpark or if you were overestimating the cost of your pilgrimage.
There are also ways to save money, including using budget airlines with longer layovers, changing your start point, and a few times a week partaking in the classic pilgrim meal of pasta, tomato and tuna and a €2.50 bottle of wine while staying in a €10 municipal albergue.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Antnix1, thanks for your reply. My financial issue was not the cost of food & lodging on camino, but was due to the IRS, I totally forgot that I had to pay my income taxes.....and it was a pretty big bite this year.

Apologies, I didn't mean to be rude or blame your husband. i edited that bit out.
Hopefully you're able to resume your plans soon

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the encouragement!! I'm 69 years old but fit, I got tested for strength and fitness prior to my hip replacement last year, my pre-op checkout doctor said I was in the best shape he had ever seen for my age. (Thanks to my camino obsession). My virtual camino is now just past Zubiri and planning to go several more miles after lunch :)

Most read last week in this forum

Good day, I am new on the Forum. Exciting! I am planning to dedicate 10-12 days to the Camino. I am leaning towards the Del Norte route but want to end in Santiago. With limited time, it made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back