• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are you planning your (next) camino? Well, I am

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
I have walked many Caminos during the last 15-16 years, and still, I go back. Why? Isn't one Camino enough, and then go on to explore other parts of the world? Why not? Well, Ihave done that, but I always return to the Camino (or it returns to me).

The Camino, for me, is a spiritual journey that brings peace to my mind: Long days of walking, meeting people from all over the world, many with issues they are trying to heal. Of course, for many, it is a leasure holiday and a walk in the park, and all good to that, but for many, it is a problem-solving time of their lives. Well, we will talk again after reaching Santiago..

Many who start walking the Camino for a given reason, will find out, in the end, that the Camino gave them something they didn't know any about when they started...

I feel that the Camino gives me something I need. I do not know what it is, other than that one word that comes to my mind: Peace.

So I will set out on another Camino on April 1st., strolling along in a slower pace than before, and seriously take my time.

On March 30, I will be 70, so on March 31, I will take a plane to Barcelona, take a train to Pamplona, and start walking towards Santiago on the first day of April, in my my newfound 70ths. At least, that's my plan now. But I am pretty determined.

Just my 0.02€

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
@alexwalker I would have loved to meet you! I was planning on walking from Almeria, but just today I have been playing with very very very short days from Pamplona, because I don't think my Achilles are going to let me do long distances, even though it's three months away. I'll be starting a week after you and will likely only make it to Samos towards the end of June. Enjoy your new decade.

I have walked many Caminos during the last 15-16 years, and still, I go back. Why? Isn't one Camino enough, and then go on to explore other parts of the world? Why not? Well, Ihave done that, but I always return to the Camino (or it returns to me).

The Camino, for me, is a spiritual journey that brings peace to my mind: Long days of walking, meeting people from all over the world, many with issues they are trying to heal. Of course, for many, it is a leasure holiday and a walk in the park, and all good to that, but for many, it is a problem-solving time of their lives. Well, we will talk again after reaching santiago..

I feel that the Camino gives me something I need. I do not know what it is, other than that one word that comes to my mind: Peace.

So I will set out on another Camino on April 1st., strolling along in a slower pace than before, and seriously take my time

On March 30, I will be 70, so on March 31, I will go to Barcelona, take a train to Pamplona, and start walking towards Santiago on the first day iof April, in my my newfound 70ths. At least, that's my plan now. But I am pretty determined.

Just my 0.02€
Alex, I hope to be a few months behind you, starting in LePuy and walking all the way to Santiago, Lord willing. A spiritual journey for me as well. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

The Camino, for me, is a spiritual journey that brings peace to my mind: Long days of walking, meeting people from all over the world, many with issues they are trying to heal. Of course, for many, it is a leasure holiday and a walk in the park, and all good to that, but for many, it is a problem-solving time of their lives. Well, we will talk again after reaching santiago..

So I will set out on another Camino on April 1st., strolling along in a slower pace than before, and seriously take my time

On March 30, I will be 70, so on March 31, I will go to Barcelona, take a train to Pamplona, and start walking towards Santiago on the first day iof April, in my my newfound 70ths. At least, that's my plan now. But I am pretty determined.

Just my 0.02€
I walked the Frances years ago and have wanted to go back ever since. This April I will walk the del Norte with a friend I met on the Frances and one of my brothers.

I did the Frances in 2018 and have been itching to go back ever since. Currently, I've planned for an early April start so our paths may cross, @alexwalker . I'm thinking for this dive I'll try a classic Frances but with a Primativo flourish and finish it off with a gentle Finisterre.

And to give my own answer to your "why come back" inquiry:

Thoreau said he went to Walden to "live deliberately", which is a concept I like. When I'm on the Camino I get to live deliberately, if only for a short while.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Just my 0.02€
Alex I turn 70 on March 14. I understand why you walk completely. It is peace and may I add that when people ask me I say the peace around me and in my head, but the first thing that comes to mind is the Camino is home. There are so many caminos to walk. That is for sure. Now I walk different caminos. This year I walked the Vasco to Burgos. I love the Meseta so I carried on the CF until Leon and then took a bus to Porto and walked the coastal to Santiago. The rain was intense for 2 weeks straight. It really didn't bother me at all as I said the first day after my feet were soaked in 20 minutes. Hey the rest of me is dry and I am on the Camino, where I want to be. In October I walk again. This time I will do the Aragones again from Samport. In Puente la Reina figure out how to best get to Madrid. Walk the Madrid to Sahagun and make my way back to Porto and try the Portugues coastal again. Because of the rain I couldn't do the zig zag route I wanted to try and couldn't walk the Espiritual Variante. Going to try to do it this time. If I get to Santiago early enough I will walk on to Muxia. Can't wait.

Alex, kudos to you on the Caminos you have walked and for describing, so well, what a Camino means to you. 2024 will be my 3rd year completing the Le Puy to Santiago route. In 2022, I walked from Le Puy to Cahors with my husband who went on Santiago. In 2023, I walked from Cahors to Pamplona. In 2024, I will walk from Pamplona to Santiago and then on to Finisterre. Camino 2022 saved our marriage of 41 years. Camino 2023 helped me work out some friend issues and who I want to have in my life going forward ( I am 65), and who knows what 2024 will be bring but I know it will bring me a period of peace and calm and camaraderie and excitement and empowerment in this crazy world. For me, my Camino strategy is looking more and more like my marathon strategy ( I ran 10 between the ages of 51 and 60), I am not a “one and done” but rather “keep going til I can’t anymore!” 🤣. Buen/Bon Camino to all who are doing their first, or who are doing it til they can’t anymore.

Planning?
Yes, of course. And I hope that it will not take 4 years to be on a camino in Spain again.
I'm constantly waving between the Norte, Madrid or the Via de la Plata. Depending on the time off I can do.

After my amazing experience in 2019 on the CF and the outstanding CP this year I really did not want to wait longer than necessary.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm constantly waving between the Norte, Madrid or the Via de la Plata.
I've only walked 2 of those. But if you haven't walked any of them yet... Norte! It's a blend of scenery (coastal) and social experience. Not the crowds of wonderful people you meet on the Frances, but not the sometimes lonely times on the Vdlp.

The scenery blows my mind. Walking past a pasture on the cliffs of the coast, I think to myself... "Those cows have got to be even happier than California cows."

I cannot speak for Madrid.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am planning to walk the Sanabres starting in mid-April. I have been doing research and can book 2/3rds of the lodging ahead, and will cut the longest stages in half. I think we will have to wing the balance.
We will plan to take several tourist days first in Salamanca and Zamora before starting. Also two nights each are planned for Puebla de Sanabria and Ourense.
That said, I have not booked flights yet. Until that is done, it does not seem quite "real".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We will plan to take several tourist days first in Salamanca and Zamora before starting. Also two nights each are planned for Puebla de Sanabria and Ourense.
Salamanca (beautiful) has the biggest Plaza Mayor in Spain: Bigger and higher buildings even than Madrid.
Zamora is a beautiful town.

The Sanabres is an easy, peaceful walk. Buen Camino!

The Sanabres is an easy, peaceful walk. Buen Camino!
I plan to start walking in Mombuey, which I read avoids most of the flat stages. I did plenty of flat on the Madrid Way last fall (it was great in a different way), and am looking this time for more variety of scenery, mountain views and some hillier areas that are supposed to start about at that point.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I plan to start walking in Mombuey, which I read avoids most of the flat stages. I did plenty of flat on the Madrid Way last fall (it was great in a different way), and am looking this time for more variety of scenery, mountain views and some hillier areas that are supposed to start about at that point.
Please report back after (or during) your camino.

I've only walked 2 of those. But if you haven't walked any of them yet... Norte! It's a blend of scenery (coastal) and social experience. Not the crowds of wonderful people you meet on the Frances, but not the sometimes lonely times on the Vdlp.

The scenery blows my mind. Walking past a pasture on the cliffs of the coast, I think to myself... "Those cows have got to be even happier than California cows."

I cannot speak for Madrid.
The first days from Almeria are on a very stony dry riverbed. Tiresome. It is a very lonely camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first days out from Almeria are on a stony dry riverbed. Tiresome. It is a very lonely camino. I won't repeat it.
I understand. The thing is, "the route to disappointment is expectations."

I think I know what to expect, based on comments like yours. And I want to be way south in the winter.

"planning" sounds a bit too definite :) But I have a few ideas. I'm in a very lucky position of having few ties at home and ample opportunity to walk when I feel like it :) Maybe March?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am planning to walk the Sanabres starting in mid-April. I have been doing research and can book 2/3rds of the lodging ahead, and will cut the longest stages in half. I think we will have to wing the balance.
That said, I have not booked flights yet. Until that is done, it does not seem quite "real".
Why not start in Rio Negro. The albergue is great, and there’s the Bar Palacio AND that terrific restaurant you must have read about.
I soon learned that the terrific chef was actually the owner, Tio.

Last edited:
This year will be my 21st time doing the CF.
And on April 10, I fly into Madrid to do the CM for the 3d (or is it 4th?) time with my friend.
I'll be 72 in August.
Now THAT blows my mind!
I booked my flight today for Madrid for 7 weeks with no game plan yet. Just wanted to wake up new years day with a plane ticket and know I'll be walking somewhere in the new year.

Hi Chrissy - I’m with @Peregrinopaul regarding Rionegro del Puente … the day stage before Mombuey. Me Gusta Comer is the most incredible restaurant - the pilgrim menu is truly wonderful and the hospitality and generosity is legendary. This is a not-to-be-missed experience. Here’s a photo of the salmon mousse appetiser -

A5C98E60-C4E5-4667-9803-A50A141A557F.jpeg

It was the culinary highlight of my VDLP and Sanabres camino last year.

Buen Camino!

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny x

Great thread, Alex! Thanks for starting it!
Next year I’m volunteering again at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago for the last two weeks of May and will bookend the volunteering with two short caminos. First up is finishing the Sanabres from Ourense (had to stop walking at that point last year due to a heel fracture) and afterwards I’m walking out to Finisterre and Muxia.
Like many others, I can’t wait!
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Hi Paul and Jenny, I looked it up and see the bus that goes from Zamora to Mombuey probably stops in Rionegro, the town on the way right before and along the same hiway. It sounds like a nice spot to start the Sanabres and the restaurant looks yum!🙂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I booked my flight today for Madrid for 7 weeks with no game plan yet. Just wanted to wake up new years day with a plane ticket and know I'll be walking somewhere in the new year.
The best plan on the Camino is to not have a plan. AKA called freedom...

Walking from Le Puy to SJPDP this year (2023) I told my family this will probably be my last as I turned 86 this year and after returning in October, my gut tells me. « You’ve got this! You can do another as it is what I think about most days. They look at me like I am crazy! Now to pick one and buy another ticket !!😜

I'll be walking the mozarabic from.Granada to Cordoba with my parents next August. From the YouTube research we've done, it should be good. Cant wait to see the palace in Grandada, and my parents have been to Cordoba and really liked the city.

My previous caminos were the coastal from.Porto and this year from Tomar to Muxia, via the central and espiritual variant.

A future goal is a mix of the Madrid and primativo camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Start the Frances on 20th April from SJPDP. It will be my third Camino in three years having done the Portuguese Central from Lisbon in Sept ‘22 and the Portuguese Coastal from Porto in May ‘23. Really looking forward to the Frances and hoping I enjoy it as much as the Portuguese.

Planning?
Yes, of course. And I hope that it will not take 4 years to be on a camino in Spain again.
I'm constantly waving between the Norte, Madrid or the Via de la Plata. Depending on the time off I can do.

After my amazing experience in 2019 on the CF and the outstanding CP this year I really did not want to wait longer than necessary.
Norte for me, in '25!
Spring or Autumn???

I'll be walking the mozarabic from.Granada to Cordoba with my parents next August. From the YouTube research we've done, it should be good. Cant wait to see the palace in Grandada, and my parents have been to Cordoba and really liked the city.

My previous caminos were the coastal from.Porto and this year from Tomar to Muxia, via the central and espiritual variant.

A future goal is a mix of the Madrid and primativo camino
Order tickets for the Granada palace months in advance. It is REALLY busy.

Last edited:
Walking from Le Puy to SJPDP this year (2023) I told my family this will probably be my last as I turned 86 this year and after returning in October, my gut tells me. « You’ve got this! You can do another as it is what I think about most days. They look at me like I am crazy! Now to pick one and buy another ticket !!😜
Hope to see you. The beer will be on me.

New Hampshire? Sometimes, abbreviations confuse me. In any case, you deserve a hats off.
I must say, unequivocally: I admire you and wish you well on your next camino.
I am not planning any camino, but that does not prevent me from bowing to you and wishing you well, pilgrim!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning (hoping) to complete VdlP from Merida, Sept 2024. Walked from Sevilla to Merida in 2017. Went back to finish in 2020, but everything closed down, and I returned to the states. Dealing with some health issues right now, but the plan is fall, 2024. Third time is a charm???

Hahaha. What a question--yes, it's really addictive and one is never enough. :D I'm hoping to walk at least part of the Voie de Piemont Pyrénéen from Carcassonne this year at some point. I absolutely loved the Voie d'Arles/Aragonés... Probably not until fall, though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Start the Frances on 20th April from SJPDP. It will be my third Camino in three years having done the Portuguese Central from Lisbon in Sept ‘22 and the Portuguese Coastal from Porto in May ‘23. Really looking forward to the Frances and hoping I enjoy it as much as the Portuguese.
Prepare to have your heart blown open. 🥰

The Camino, for me, is a spiritual journey that brings peace to my mind: Long days of walking, meeting people from all over the world, many with issues they are trying to heal. Of course, for many, it is a leasure holiday and a walk in the park, and all good to that, but for many, it is a problem-solving time of their lives. Well, we will talk again after reaching Santiago..

Many who start walking the Camino for a given reason, will find out, in the end, that the Camino gave them something they didn't know any about when they started...

So I will set out on another Camino on April 1st., strolling along in a slower pace than before, and seriously take my time.

On March 30, I will be 70, so on March 31, I will take a plane to Barcelona, take a train to Pamplona, and start walking towards Santiago on the first day of April, in my my newfound 70ths. At least, that's my plan now. But I am pretty determined.

Just my 0.02€
So true!

Yes. CP in April 2024 with granddaughter #2, because her older sister really got a lot out of our shared Camino in 2022. And then their brother in a couple of years! Caminos have worked their magic with me. Now it's time to share. I pray the magic continues.

Got a great deal yesterday on tickets to Paris this Spring so I’m happily perusing maps and BookingDotCom. My first Camino was in 2012 and on limited time so walked SJPDP to Pamplona, trained it to Sarria then finished off in SDC. I never felt the need to do the end of that one after that…the crowds were huge, even then… but have hiked many long distance European trails since, England C2C, Ireland, Norway, Greece, a good chunk of the Via Francigena, the Via Podiensis with the variants and most recently, the first third of the Norte. But life dealt me a “challenging” autumn and I’ve decided to run away for a bit, find some peace…and fun!, for the first time in a long time. So return to the Norte? Try a new route? Rewalk my favorite GR 65? Or bite the bullet and finally walk the entire Frances? Thoughts and suggestions welcome! PS to the OP: Thoughts on St Olavsden? My great grandparents lived close to the route in the south.

Last edited:
I am planning (hoping) to complete VdlP from Merida, Sept 2024. Walked from Sevilla to Merida in 2017. Went back to finish in 2020, but everything closed down, and I returned to the states. Dealing with some health issues right now, but the plan is fall, 2024. Third time is a charm???
Spend time in Merida: It was a retirement city for Roman legionnaires some 2.000 years ago, and has fabulous remains from that era. But I guess you know.

Hopefully, I'll walk again this (new) year. A shorter one, sadly, but better than none.

Planning / dreaming is what makes the time between the walks easier for me. Since 2015, only two years have I not walked a Camino of some kind.

Once you've tasted freedom and peace of mind, it is difficult to give it up again, I guess!

Most of my friends and family don't really understand.

How a not-a-place "place" far away can make you so homesick when you're away from it and so happy when you're there, is apparently not something that can easily be explained...

Looking forward to sitting around an albergue table with other pilgrims again. Sharing food, wine, and the love for the Camino :)

Enjoy your Francés, @alexwalker!

Just my 0.02€
I did the Camino Frances in 2015, the Norte in 2017 and the Camino Frances again in 2023. Go for it!

Are you planning your (next) camino? Well, I am

🙋‍♀️ Here, here I am too. My fourth in 11 years. I had planned to walk Porto to Santiago in 2022 but cancelled due to an uneasy feeling of dread. I'm headed back to the Frances in just a few short months, well 7.5 to be exact, but they will fly by. The Frances just feels like home and I love so many things about it. I'm sure I'll find even more things to love once again, God Willing. A spiritual calling for me as well. We who walk much are truly blessed. :cool:

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Just my 0.02€
I will start my tenth Camino 1 April from SJPDP one of four back to back Caminos I plan to do over April and May. I will be 71 see you on the Camino

I am six weeks out from my first camino in many a long year, and I still don't know which route(s) I'm doing, as a friend who is suffering from life-altering brain injury (after a hit-and-run accident) has attached herself to my walk, and I don't think she'll be able to cope with the route I had planned.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Fingers crossed. I'm interested to see how busy it is compared to the Portuguese.
A bit busier, in my experience, but there are far more services (albergues, bars, pilgrim masses) than on the Portugues. After having walked the Frances twice, I found the Portugues to be far less “pilgrimy” than the Frances. It was beautiful and I loved the Portugues, but I’m going back to the Frances in July.

A bit busier, in my experience, but there are far more services (albergues, bars, pilgrim masses) than on the Portugues. After having walked the Frances twice, I found the Portugues to be far less “pilgrimy” than the Frances. It was beautiful and I loved the Portugues, but I’m going back to the Frances in July.
I’m expecting it to be much busier, especially the last 100k. My experiences on the Portuguese have been amazing but I definitely feel drawn to the Frances now.

I’m expecting it to be much busier, especially the last 100k. My experiences on the Portuguese have been amazing but I definitely feel drawn to the Frances now.
What we did for the last 100 KM was to stay "off stage" so that we started and stopped each day out of the main flow. That way, you're in between the crowds. Also, I highly recommend taking the alternative to Samos. It's some of the most beautiful country and is very quiet and peaceful. The monastery in Samos is amazing. In my July/August Camino Frances, I'm taking the Invierno, which bypasses all of the Sarria "festivities."

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What we did for the last 100 KM was to stay "off stage" so that we started and stopped each day out of the main flow. That way, you're in between the crowds. Also, I highly recommend taking the alternative to Samos. It's some of the most beautiful country and is very quiet and peaceful. The monastery in Samos is amazing. In my July/August Camino Frances, I'm taking the Invierno, which bypasses all of the Sarria "festivities."
Yes, I’m planning to stay ‘off stage’ after the first few days. Usually do that on the Camino anyway, it’s a good idea. Thanks for your advice re Samos. I’ll have a look at that.

"Are you planning your (next) camino?"

Who, me? :oops:;)
I’m planning a return to the CF with my husband in mid June ‘24.

Walked the Camino Frances in 2019. Made the unpardonable error of trying to catch up with and walk into Santiago with my walking amiga. I missed out on a lot of beautiful towns in the process.

More than half of the CF was a blur. I essentially ran through O Cebreiro as though my “🤬” was on fire!🔥

Walked the CP with my spouse in April ‘23 and took things more slowly. It was a supreme joy. It was his first pilgrimage, and he’s hook.

We are starting in SJPP in mid June because of family commitments. I’m a little worried about the heat. Still, I will do everything I can to minimize the challenges: pack light, start out EARLY each morning, etc.

We’ve got our flights and the first 4 days of lodgings. 🥳

Question: what are some towns and albergues we should not miss. I want this pilgrimage, THIS TIME, to be unforgettable.
🙏🏾

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Just my 0.02€
This year Alexwalker? I have just hopped back onto Ivar's Forum after a lengthy reprieve. The Frances is calling again. I am thinking about April 5th, as the start out of St. Jean. While I don't relish that first day again, it's a bit of a test. Have you walked the Frances in April 5, and if so, did you find it to be rainy? It appears that is the trend. Temps should be anywhere from 45F (8C) to 66F (18C).

I've always enjoyed your informative posts. Good health and much contentment in 2024!

This year Alexwalker? I have just hopped back onto Ivar's Forum after a lengthy reprieve. The Frances is calling again. I am thinking about April 5th, as the start out of St. Jean. While I don't relish that first day again, it's a bit of a test. Have you walked the Frances in April 5, and if so, did you find it to be rainy? It appears that is the trend. Temps should be anywhere from 45F (8C) to 66F (18C).

I've always enjoyed your informative posts. Good health and much contentment in 2024!
Yes this year. But I walk slowly, so you will most likely catch up with me. Have a happy new year and Camino! When will this calling end....? :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Me too! Me too! Late March/ April - can't wait! Only problem is that airfare from the US to Spain has JUMPED to skyhigh.
Just for grins, I searched March 26- April 24 and found EWR-CDG for $537 on United, NONSTOP AND ROUNDTRIP! I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that. Spain and Portugal were off the charts but Paris seems to be holding, well into April. If you have miles, use them to get to Newark and then you need to buy the train ticket to your Camino. Just a thought…

Just my 0.02€
I read you and feel exactly the same! And beside peace if mind quality time with my inner spirit. Skipped a year but in june of on the Plata Sanabres! Grtz Renee

Just my 0.02€
Hello. I walked the Frances Sept - Oct '23 and thought that would be enough. But it's the last thing I think about before I go to sleep and now the thoughts are taking a more definate shape. I'd like to walk the Frances again, for all I didn't give attention to before, but I'm also wondering about the Portugese route. I'll soon be 67 and I hope to walk for as long as I can. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello. I walked the Frances Sept - Oct '23 and thought that would be enough. But it's the last thing I think about before I go to sleep and now the thoughts are taking a more definate shape. I'd like to walk the Frances again, for all I didn't give attention to before, but I'm also wondering about the Portugese route. I'll soon be 67 and I hope to walk for as long as I can. Buen Camino!
I walked my first Frances May-June 2023. I was on my 5th day between Puente la Reina and Estella and I thought this is nice but I won't be back. But here I am, a new year and I already have a plane ticket back to Spain. I have 7 weeks booked so I have to decide Portuguese with some other smaller routes like San Salvador and Primitivo or do the whole Frances again with a walk to the coast as I bused to the coast the first time. Buen Camino on whatever route you choose.

I'm the same age and planning to start the Mozarabe in the middle of February. I've just booked as far as Madrid, just have to work out the next part 🤔🤣

I'm the same age and planning to start the Mozarabe in the middle of February. I've just booked as far as Madrid, just have to work out the next part 🤔🤣
Here are some options.

Take care and prepare for cold weather that time of year: You will be walking high up (2.500 m.) at the foot of the Sierra Nevadas some days... When I walked in April I caught a serious pneumonia there...

And the first days are uncomfortable, along a stony, dry riverbed. Use solid shoes with ancle support.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked my first Frances May-June 2023. I was on my 5th day between Puente la Reina and Estella and I thought this is nice but I won't be back. But here I am, a new year and I already have a plane ticket back to Spain. I have 7 weeks booked so I have to decide Portuguese with some other smaller routes like San Salvador and Primitivo or do the whole Frances again with a walk to the coast as I bused to the coast the first time. Buen Camino on whatever route you choose.
Thank you. Buen Camino!

Walked the CP last April-May. Did a mix of Coastal, then Central, then Espiritual. Was amazing! Though walking the CF again in June, I already know I’ll be back to the Portuguese. Not sure when. Gotta take one Camino at a time! 👣🎒💖

I know you didn't ask, but my vote is for the Portuguese from Lisbon, then bus to Oviedo (and the Primitivo) and walk on to Finisterre! Even gives you enough time for a few rest days: for example choose from Ponte der Lima, Valanca do Minho, Porto (esp. if you like Port!) or Pontevedra. Then Oviedo, Lugo on the Primitivo.
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have spreadsheets for many, many different caminos, suitable for holidays of all lengths and with varying degrees of difficulty (read hills). My spreadsheets list possible stages, places to sleep and eat, interesting stuff to see on the way, whether there is transport to a larger city.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back