• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugese- Need kind advice

J

Jas Asyiken

Hi Everyone. I did the Camino Frances recently from SJPDP to Finesterre and the experience was wonderful. There were good and bad, injuries, pleasure, pain, sickness, misery and joy. But nevertheless, it was profound and I enjoyed the experience very much. Plus it was a great way to see the northern part of Spain upclose and personal.

When I was in Santiago, I decided to extend my experience to go to Peru to visit the Machu Piccu. Long story short, I'm now back in Europe and specifically found myself in Portugal - as a tourist in Sintra. A crazy idea came to mind as I pondered on my plans. I am toying on the idea of seeing Portugal by way of the Camino. Lisbon to Santiago (although I have to slap myself just to make sure I'm not cooking a dream) mainly because of its distance or perhaps starting from Porto instead...616km vs about 230km walk.

I do have the pack and all else (yes, I have added more insulation as I have stayed from Summer on the Frances to Autuum now). My sleeping bag is good for 6C and I have a liner good for 11C. I could layer the bag if it does get too cold.

Here is my challenge:
Due to my extended travels since finishing the Frances, I have bought a wheeled luggage. It was primarily to load all my stuff (back pack included) for check in on flights which I've taken in the past month as I wanted to give myself a break. My flight to Portugal was one way from Paris so in other words, I don't have to return to Lisbon but can continue elsewhere from wherever I end (likely Santiago again I reckon). I don't mind carrying my pack as done before and I did enjoyed the flexibility of being able to stop wherever and whenever I had to. But what do I do with the wheeled luggage.

Option 1, I could use a luggage transport services for my bag cum luggage and walk on fixed destinations everyday. Or...the better if possible, option 2 - send the wheeled luggage way ahead but I do need at least a destination to help me receive and store the luggage for longer duration.

If I can find a solution for this matter, I think Camino Portugese might be a great idea as an unplanned extended Camino. As I had left Europe for Peru since my first arrival, I now have a visa of another 90 days in EU.

Any advise/ suggestion is much appreciated. I don't seem to be able to think out of the box at the moment. Thanks in advance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Jas,

U sneaked back into Europe!!! :) Great on you and even greater you thinking of walking the CP!! Having researched quite a bit on this Camino, I totally agree this is a brilliant choice! Pity you not walking in November so we could meet up and hv a good chin wag!

Re your trolley, you could send it ahead to Ivar... address is in the forum and once you reach Santiago, you will be ready to leave with your belongings! Email him or pm him tho!

Bom Caminho! G

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for the prompt response. I am happy to send it to Ivar (if he can help me store them) but I need to find a company which can take it all the way to Santiago. The post may be costly as its from 2 different countries. But yes, I should check on this option.

Thank you again!!

Lucky you! I envy your adventures.

As you rightly quoted, "Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be". Since the Camino started, it has been proven over and over to me that I should just surrender to the adventure. I'm beginning to trust that the more we surrender, the luckier we are because most of the time, we are the ones pulling the jinx brakes out of fear. I've been doing that all my life and I'm kinda tired of it. So now, I'm trying out a different approach and one thing seems to lead to another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the prompt response. I am happy to send it to Ivar (if he can help me store them) but I need to find a company which can take it all the way to Santiago. The post may be costly as its from 2 different countries. But yes, I should check on this option.

Thank you again!!
I'm not sure but the post office may be reasonable

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thank you again!!

Have a good read through here: http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/sending-instructions.html Ivar recommends there a company to send luggage to him that works EU-wide. That should fit the bill for you. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I now have a visa of another 90 days in EU.
One thing to remember. A 90 day visa to Europe means 90 days in any 180 days period. So if you have not been out of Europe for an extended time your 90 days may start from the time you first entered Europe. Be very careful about this as you may find yourself on the wrong side of the immigration department.

One thing to remember. A 90 day visa to Europe means 90 days in any 180 days period. So if you have not been out of Europe for an extended time your 90 days may start from the time you first entered Europe. Be very careful about this as you may find yourself on the wrong side of the immigration department.

Thanks for the Heads Up. I was in Peru (South America) for 3 weeks. Not sure how long I have to leave EU to consider sufficiently "extended time" though.

And by the way, for me I don't apply those special Shengen visa. As a Malaysian, when I arrive, I am granted 90 days per entry. If I wish to stay longer, I have to leave the EU (Switzerland and London not included) and come back. But of cos that doesn't mean I can do that repeatedly as they worry I will work illegally to sustain my stay. No plans to do that.

I am on a paid holiday and I have evidences to proof it - flights, hotel bills, restaurant bills etc etc including my flight ticket home from KLM. I don't plan to stay in Europe forever anyway so to me, I should complete my travels within less than 6 months. I have been here for about 4 years in the past and have seen a big part of Europe already that I don't plan to repeat. I still love Asia and that will always be my permanent home base.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And by the way, for me I don't apply those special Shengen visa. As a Malaysian, when I arrive, I am granted 90 days per entry. If I wish to stay longer, I have to leave the EU (Switzerland and London not included) and come back. But of cos that doesn't mean I can do that repeatedly as they worry I will work illegally to sustain my stay. No plans to do that.

I am on a paid holiday and I have evidences to proof it - flights, hotel bills, restaurant bills etc etc including my flight ticket home from KLM. I don't plan to stay in Europe forever anyway so to me, I should complete my travels within less than 6 months. I have been here for about 4 years in the past and have seen a big part of Europe already that I don't plan to repeat. I still love Asia and that will always be my permanent home base.
Hi Jas,
You are not allowed to stay more than 90 days within 6 months in the Schengen area countries. And that's not per entry. As a Malaysian you do not need a visa, but you are not allowed to stay for a longer period than 90 days.

I will drop by at the Immigration office in Lisbon tomorrow.

My total stay is 60 days at the moment. I have not overstayed.

Maybe I should just go to New Zealand now instead. That's on my Bucket List :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"Maybe I should just go to New Zealand now instead."....still very envious:D

When I was leaving Spain the security person at the airport questioned me about what I was doing in Spain (since I lacked other travel stamps) for almost 90 days. I told him 'the Camino,' and asked eagerly if he wanted to see my credentials. He waved me through.:(

"

When I was leaving Spain the security person at the airport questioned me about what I was doing in Spain (since I lacked other travel stamps) for almost 90 days. I told him 'the Camino,' and asked eagerly if he wanted to see my credentials. He waved me through.:(

I came back in via proper channel. The officer asked to see my home bound ticket and I showed him. He stamped my passport, smiled and waved me in. So I have no idea I'm not supposed to come back in. The immigration should have stopped me I would think. But I will clarify tomorrow. This could be a blessing and sign to go do something different.

Reminds me of my second day on the Meseta. Wanted to go to Hornilos or something and my ankle hurt just 5km before that I had to end at San Bol which became my best Camino experience in the end. Camino provides...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
30 days should be enough to get from Lisbon to Santiago and to your departure point. Its often suggested 35 days from SJPdP to Santiago ... a longer distance.

Thanks for the positive outlook!! But it may not be worth the risk, if any. I would rather cut short Portugal, go see someplace else for a week or two then leave. A change is not always a bad thing either I think.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jas

It would be great to walk the CP.... and like @whariwharangi says CP is shorter than CF... and Porto to Santiago can be done in 10 days (I am gonna do it in in 14 tho...) ... But whatever you decide, have a great life! Maybe see you at Chinese New Year?

G

By the way Guys, I am leaving the forum soon.

I have a Facebook account by the same name so I'm happy to talk there or via Messenger. I'm not a good forumer plus it's a lot to manage. I've requested Ivar to delete me so if you are keen to keep in touch, I'm more than happy to see you FB. Otherwise, thanks for your kind advise on this matter. Don't worry, the immigration should give all the clarity I need tomorrow. I am still less than 90 days and I do have a flexi homebound ticket if change is needed so I'll be fine.

Have a great journey/Camino ahead. Buen Camino to all!!! May God bless you all. And thanks for everything!

By the way Guys, I am leaving the forum soon.

I have a Facebook account by the same name so I'm happy to talk there or via Messenger. I'm not a good forumer plus it's a lot to manage. I've requested Ivar to delete me so if you are keen to keep in touch, I'm more than happy to see you FB. Otherwise, thanks for your kind advise on this matter. Don't worry, the immigration should give all the clarity I need tomorrow. I am still less than 90 days and I do have a flexi homebound ticket if change is needed so I'll be fine.

Have a great journey/Camino ahead. Buen Camino to all!!! May God bless you all. And thanks for everything!

See you during CNY...if I'm not still on the road somewhere...hahaha!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thank you again!!
In September 2015 my husband and I walked the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago. We shipped the items we didn't need in a fairly large nylon bag to Ivar. It only cost 15€ and arrived in Santiago in about two days.

We mailed our bags from Lisbon to Ivar using the postal service. We made a mistake with the address. My bag arrived but the other didn't. We found this out while walking but after an extensive discussion in a village post office where we had Spanish and she only Portuguese we managed to get the bag delivered safely.

Re the visa. I have Aussie friends who spend 5 months in Europe each year without a visa. They just take a chance. Their attitude is what can happen when I'm questioned on leaving. Not sure I would do that.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the positive outlook!! But it may not be worth the risk, if any. I would rather cut short Portugal, go see someplace else for a week or two then leave. A change is not always a bad thing either I think.
I agree with Across the Water - jump up to Porto, and hike it from there. 10 days without any problem, 12-13 if you take your time and do some 4 hour days.

... Re the visa. I have Aussie friends who spend 5 months in Europe each year without a visa. They just take a chance. Their attitude is what can happen when I'm questioned on leaving. Not sure I would do that. ...

What can happen is that they get fined and/or banned from entering the Schengen Zone for many years. I agree, I wouldn't risk it if I were in their shoes. Buen Camino, SY

Hi Everyone. I did the Camino Frances recently from SJPDP to Finesterre and the experience was wonderful. There were good and bad, injuries, pleasure, pain, sickness, misery and joy. But nevertheless, it was profound and I enjoyed the experience very much. Plus it was a great way to see the northern part of Spain upclose and personal.

When I was in Santiago, I decided to extend my experience to go to Peru to visit the Machu Piccu. Long story short, I'm now back in Europe and specifically found myself in Portugal - as a tourist in Sintra. A crazy idea came to mind as I pondered on my plans. I am toying on the idea of seeing Portugal by way of the Camino. Lisbon to Santiago (although I have to slap myself just to make sure I'm not cooking a dream) mainly because of its distance or perhaps starting from Porto instead...616km vs about 230km walk.

I do have the pack and all else (yes, I have added more insulation as I have stayed from Summer on the Frances to Autuum now). My sleeping bag is good for 6C and I have a liner good for 11C. I could layer the bag if it does get too cold.

Here is my challenge:
Due to my extended travels since finishing the Frances, I have bought a wheeled luggage. It was primarily to load all my stuff (back pack included) for check in on flights which I've taken in the past month as I wanted to give myself a break. My flight to Portugal was one way from Paris so in other words, I don't have to return to Lisbon but can continue elsewhere from wherever I end (likely Santiago again I reckon). I don't mind carrying my pack as done before and I did enjoyed the flexibility of being able to stop wherever and whenever I had to. But what do I do with the wheeled luggage.

Option 1, I could use a luggage transport services for my bag cum luggage and walk on fixed destinations everyday. Or...the better if possible, option 2 - send the wheeled luggage way ahead but I do need at least a destination to help me receive and store the luggage for longer duration.

If I can find a solution for this matter, I think Camino Portugese might be a great idea as an unplanned extended Camino. As I had left Europe for Peru since my first arrival, I now have a visa of another 90 days in EU.

Any advise/ suggestion is much appreciated. I don't seem to be able to think out of the box at the moment. Thanks in advance.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have recently completed the Portugese Camino. Parts are challenging as there is a lot of road walking.
On your bag question there is a service called send my bag which picks up from a hotel etc and delivers anywhere in Europe within a few days. We had a similar problem when we flew into Leon from Australia to start the Camino from Le Puy. They picked the bag up and delivered it to the IK in about 3 days. So perhaps look into this.
Portugese people are really friendly and it is less expensive than Spain in many places.
Bon Camino
Mark

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back