• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reverse travel from Santiago to Porto as a pilgrim: Need advice!

Chris3

Time of past OR future Camino
The French Way 2018
Camino del Norte 09/23
Hi just wondering if anybody knows if you can still travel as a pilgrim in reverse. I am doing the Camino del Norte in Sept/Oct this year and then plan to cycle from Santiago to Porto. Does anyone know if you can still use your pilgrim passport and stay in the Albergues and get pilgrim meals etc. Thanks in advance. Chris.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there!

As I walked a month ago many pilgrims came towards me on their way to Fatima via Porto and Lisbon.
Met bicigrinos in Viana that rode like you plan. AFAIK as long as you dont get the end-stamp in your credential you can use it as you like.

Have fun!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi just wondering if anybody knows if you can still travel as a pilgrim in reverse. I am doing the Camino del Norte in Sept/Oct this year and then plan to cycle from Santiago to Porto. Does anyone know if you can still use your pilgrim passport and stay in the Albergues and get pilgrim meals etc. Thanks in advance. Chris.
There are a couple of layers to this. If you get a Compostela at the end of the CdN, the Pilgrim Office will close your credential. You could, of course get another credencial at some point and use that for those places that need you to have one.

There are well established pilgrim routes to Fatima in Portugal. North of Porto, the route to Fatima is generally the reverse of the Camino Portuguese route. Unlike following other Camino de Santiago routes in reverse, this means that you can follow the Caminho de Fatima waymarking.

The question of whether you can 'still travel as a pilgrim' is one only you can answer. What would be your destination, the purpose of your pilgrimage? On the CdN it would be reasonable to expect that your purpose is to is to reach the place where St James is buried, Santiago. If you were planning to continue to Fatima, it would also be clear. But Porto raises the prospect that you are not travelling on a pilgrimage, even if this is a significant personal undertaking.

While none of us can answer this question for you, it is important that you do for at least one significant reason. There are many albergues along all the camino routes established and maintained solely for the use of pilgrims. They are managed and maintained by the contributions of local communities, other religious associations and volunteers from around the world that don't begrudge the significant costs involved. Using these if you weren't a pilgrim would clearly be inappropriate.

As long as you have a credencial you can stay in an albergue. Not too many pilgrims meals in Portugal though. I would recommend also using a waymarking app like Wise Pilgrim because I didn’t not find the CP as well marked as the CF.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We did it in June 2023. We first walked the CF from SJPdP. We scheduled our flight back to USA out of Porto because we wanted to walk the CP costal route since we had never travelled that route. We had walked the CP central in 2017, so we started in Vigo rather then Santiago. We did not collect any stamps and never had a problem staying in the albergue's. The only thing that we really missed was the opportunity to spend more than one day with other pilgrims we met since we were heading in the opposite direction. As mentioned above - WisePilgrim app will keep moving in the correct direction. You will notice there are stretches where there are 2 path - one close to the ocean and the other a little in-land. We did some of both, but decided we liked to stick close to the water whenever there was a choice. We leave on Sept. 4 to walk the del Norte - maybe we will cross paths.

In March we hiked from Porto to Tomar to Fatima...after first hiking from Porto to Santiago. Walking in reverse following blue arrows to Fatima was amazing.

Or just walk to Fátima via Tomar.

The other routes are fine too, but that's the one with the best infrastructure and the more fellow pilgrims to come across (whether Central or Coastal to Porto).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We did it in June 2023. We first walked the CF from SJPdP. We scheduled our flight back to USA out of Porto because we wanted to walk the CP costal route since we had never travelled that route. We had walked the CP central in 2017, so we started in Vigo rather then Santiago. We did not collect any stamps and never had a problem staying in the albergue's. The only thing that we really missed was the opportunity to spend more than one day with other pilgrims we met since we were heading in the opposite direction. As mentioned above - WisePilgrim app will keep moving in the correct direction. You will notice there are stretches where there are 2 path - one close to the ocean and the other a little in-land. We did some of both, but decided we liked to stick close to the water whenever there was a choice. We leave on Sept. 4 to walk the del Norte - maybe we will cross paths.
Hi Joe. Thanks for the reply. That’s really helpful. We don’t start the del Norte until September 17th. But once again thanks and Buen Camino.

In March we hiked from Porto to Tomar to Fatima...after first hiking from Porto to Santiago. Walking in reverse following blue arrows to Fatima was amazing.
Hello. Want to do thé same. But a lot off pilgrim in coastal way told me the part between lisbonne to porto was make in big part of hard Road with Many cars and not easy to walk. Difficult to find albergue too
You confirm ????

Hello. Want to do thé same. But a lot off pilgrim in coastal way told me the part between lisbonne to porto was make in big part of hard Road with Many cars and not easy to walk. Difficult to find albergue too
You confirm ????
The worst is between Lisbon and Tomar, as I understand it from others. North of Tomar it starts to be more of some stretches of tarmac, and some of trail. Also, small tarmac roads not main roads with much traffic.

And between Tomar and Porto, it's not hard at all to find an Albergue ; and there are some great ones !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Finding yellow arrows going the opposite way is not easy .
December 2011 after finishing a CF I walked alone from Santiago to Tui/Valenca.This backwards blog might help you.

Good luck with your planning.
However/wherever you do go Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back