• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues Coastal...fingers crossed!

WanderingBrian

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2023
Hello friends! I have not been here in quite awhile (since my 2020 Camino was canceled for obvious reasons). Anyhow I have retooled and have the Camino Portugues in my sights, once again - coastal this time.

Anyone planning to head that way beginning of Sept?

As a reminder of the previous fun...here is me at Finisterre exhausted (and a bit burnt on my arms?) After the CP, I went on and did Muxia-Finisterre
IMG_0371 (1).JPG

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are planning to do it at the start of July (straight from Porto Airport). The UK and Portugal should have an air bridge, my mom and her friend plan to go from the Czech Republic, so we will see if it will work or not. I plan to post a daily LIVE blog here in a similar fashion I did last year, to inform all of you about the real situation as a lot of online resources are just inaccurate.

I'll be behind you by a few weeks ... the redhead and two youngest daughters already made reservations in Andalusia for September ... I plan on flying to Porto on the 30th of September and starting on October 1st.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have found albergues are already quite full with pre-bookings. The Variante Espiritual has zero availability that I can find. Pent up Camino energy perhaps?

Mid September from Porto!
More than my fingers are crossed:)
Woody
You will be a bit behind me but might catch up because I am sauntering on this Camino by taking a 30 full days to do the Coastal with the Variante Espirutual. I would like to spend exploration days in some of the different locations, something I did not do last time.

I thought about doing Lisbon to Santiago, however, I think I would just like to slow roll it from Porto.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Was thinking of the Portuguese route (possibly from Lisbon) for what would have been my second Camino last year. Now I think I am waiting to see how the situation re Covid develops over the summer. Anyone know what the weather is like in October or will I have to wait until 2022?

Hello friends! I have not been here in quite awhile (since my 2020 Camino was canceled for obvious reasons). Anyhow I have retooled and have the Camino Portugues in my sights, once again - coastal this time.

As a reminder of the previous fun...here is me at Finisterre exhausted (and a bit burnt on my arms?) After the CP, I went on and did Muxia-Finisterre
View attachment 99814
Leaving Porto 5 th of June for me! Lucky to nave a direct flight from Brest ( Brittany ) and my 2 jabs done !

You will be a bit behind me but might catch up because I am sauntering on this Camino by taking a 30 full days to do the Coastal with the Variante Espirutual. I would like to spend exploration days in some of the different locations, something I did not do last time.

I thought about doing Lisbon to Santiago, however, I think I would just like to slow roll it from Porto.
H! WanderingBrian!

I land Porto 17th Sept leave Santiago 13th Oct; we have both got the same idea; take it slow with stopovers so i doubt if i will catch you!

All my initial bookings for the whole trip were done by Sept last year(what prompted me was the apparent shortage then;although that was booking.com's availability); i have since changed dates and hotels several times using booking .com and been successful all bookings have free cancellation cos no one knows if this bloody virus will raise it's ugly head with vengeance later on!

On the Espiritual i will be staying at Casa de Labranza A Rega Combarro, the Monasterio de Armenteira and Hotel Alpina Vilanova de Arousa on the spiritual. Best bit the boat captain has changed the departure time on the 8th Oct by an hour for me;cant see anything in low light and as boat was leaving at 7 am and daylight is not till about 8.25 the whole trip would have been in the dark!!! (just hope it sticks to his word)
Stay safe ,buen camino i wish you well.
Woody.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have found albergues are already quite full with pre-bookings. The Variante Espiritual has zero availability that I can find. Pent up Camino energy perhaps?
Don't know your dates Brian, but just a thought!
I did 4 searches for Vilanova de Arousaon on different dates end of September and got positive results for hostels at £15 a night.
I re jigged my dates/bookings so many times it got a bit confusing as to which one was the correct booking had to listen to each one in turn!
If you have no really tight time scale,but just the end goal of Santiago!
Book with free cancelation it costs nothing and with luck you can model your itinerary accordingly.
Woody

Don't know your dates Brian, but just a thought!
I did 4 searches for Vilanova de Arousaon on different dates end of September and got positive results for hostels at £15 a night.
I re jigged my dates/bookings so many times it got a bit confusing as to which one was the correct booking had to listen to each one in turn!
If you have no really tight time scale,but just the end goal of Santiago!
Book with free cancelation it costs nothing and with luck you can model your itinerary accordingly.
Woody
Thanks! We must have been thinking the same thing. I actually went outside of Booking and found the Albergue A Corticela and booked that. It's 18Euros per night.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I land in Lisbon on 8/26. Porto by 8/31 and then walk! We will cross paths and I try never to book in advance.
Well I wasn't planning to book in advance however I based it on 2 things:

1. Holy year - busier than normal?
2. Pent up 2020 Peregrinos scampering to Spain?

That being said, I am prone to changing things around on a whim so who knows what will happen :D

But as the time approaches, we can try to sync up!

Are you doing the Coastal and the Variante Espiritual?

Waiting a few weeks to pull the trigger, but if all goes well I will land in Lisbon on 28th of August, then jump ahead to Tomar to start walking. Will walk on to Finistere and Muxia if possible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Was thinking of the Portuguese route (possibly from Lisbon) for what would have been my second Camino last year. Now I think I am waiting to see how the situation re Covid develops over the summer. Anyone know what the weather is like in October or will I have to wait until 2022?
October was fantastic when I did it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

View attachment 99814
We're thinking of going in September too, but holding off for now. Can't afford the extra time off work to quarantine, so will have to see how things look nearer the time.

Ik hoor goed nieuws uit Portugal. Zoals Ivar zei: het komt goed. Ik begin op 2 september in Lissabon naar SdC. Ik kijk naar uit na anderhalf jaar wachten.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'll be two days behind you ... getting to Porto on the 30th, start walking on October 1st.
I’ve walked from Portugal twice before and my husband has really wanted to do it too... so we’re going to do a combination of coastal and central and add on the varient... it will be his third attempt to get to Porto... fingers crossed it happens 😎

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Flight booked Stansted to Porto 7 June 2021, had COVID early on, been vaccinated twice, been training hard please be open by then🤔🤔👍👍
Fingers crossed for me too!!Flight to Porto 5 th of June ... but so far still quarantine when you arrive in Portugal by plane!! It will be a last moment start , for sure . My second attempt ( first one end September and the 2 lockdown arrived !
The ticket is not lost though .. just postponed .Patience !!

Fingers crossed for me too!!Flight to Porto 5 th of June ... but so far still quarantine when you arrive in Portugal by plane!! It will be a last moment start , for sure . My second attempt ( first one end September and the 2 lockdown arrived !
The ticket is not lost though .. just patience!

The ticket is not lost though .. just postponed .Patience !!
BBC News
Menu

Portugal to allow UK tourists from Monday​

Published37 minutes ago