• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino portugues in march 2013

Jan Nieuwland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino portugues (2013)
Cami de St. Jaume (2014)
Camino aragones (2015)
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte (2017)
Hi, dear fellow peregrinos,
I am a 51 years old man, in a reasonable/bad condition, who has just booked a flight to oporto, to walk the camino for the first time from oport to santiago de compostella. I am planning from 11th of march 2013 and hope to arrive within 11 days walking. Does any one have suggestions for the best camino to go, because there seam to be more routes from oporto.
All help is very much appreciated.
Jan

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Jan
seeing as none of our route experts have jumped in yet, I'll get the ball rolling with what I know.
The Brierley guide describes briefly several routes and the CSJ guide has a basic map showing the main towns that the three most popular routes go through.
Both the Brierley and the CSJ provide detailed directions on the central way, but not the other ways. And I think Laurie's guide does the central too.
So the options are
Central way, via Barcelos (covered in the main guide books)
Coastal way (following the coast!)
Interior way via Braga, joining the central way at Ponte de Lima.
All routes seem to come together to cross the Rio Minho at Valenca in Portugal to Tui in Spain. And then go as one to Santiago (although there has been a query on the site about continuing along the coast some more...)

For the central way, Brierley provides a coastal alternative for the first day out of Porto, to Vila do Conde, which rejoins the central route a few k further on at Rates. There are also signs at Rates for going north on the coastal route. So it's a kind of crossroads where you can review your options and decide to go left or right - coast or inland. There have been some good posts here about that coastal route, which sounds excellent. It is way-marked and there are places to stay, but not so much as on the central route.
The way I walked in October/November was the coastal option for the first day and then joining the central way at Rates. Brierley recommends people doing the coastal option take the metro out of Porto and doesn't even describe how to walk it, which is a shame. It is quite simple, come off the camino, turning left at Rua da Boavista and just keep walking all the way to the sea (about 1.5 hours). Then another half hour parallel to the coast up to the metro stop of Mercado. I can't say whether the way I took is better than any other, but it worked for me!
cheers, tom

peregrino_tom said:
Hi Jan
seeing as none of our route experts have jumped in yet, I'll get the ball rolling with what I know.
The Brierley guide describes briefly several routes and the CSJ guide has a basic map showing the main towns that the three most popular routes go through.
Both the Brierley and the CSJ provide detailed directions on the central way, but not the other ways. And I think Laurie's guide does the central too.
So the options are
All routes seem to come together to cross the Rio Minho at Valenca in Portugal to Tui in Spain. And then go as one to Santiago (although there has been a query on the site about continuing along the coast some more...)

For the central way, Brierley provides a coastal alternative for the first day out of Porto, to Vila do Conde, which rejoins the central route a few k further on at Rates. There are also signs at Rates for going north on the coastal route. So it's a kind of crossroads where you can review your options and decide to go left or right - coast or inland. There have been some good posts here about that coastal route, which sounds excellent. It is way-marked and there are places to stay, but not so much as on the central route.
The way I walked in October/November was the coastal option for the first day and then joining the central way at Rates. Brierley recommends people doing the coastal option take the metro out of Porto and doesn't even describe how to walk it, which is a shame. It is quite simple, come off the camino, turning left at Rua da Boavista and just keep walking all the way to the sea (about 1.5 hours). Then another half hour parallel to the coast up to the metro stop of Mercado. I can't say whether the way I took is better than any other, but it worked for me!
cheers, tom

Hello

I read a lot about the portugues camino: This camino seems sealed for a long part ! The costal way seems better but with a few albergue.. so now i can hardly decide which way I will follow...I just wait for an answer from the "Central Turismo office " of Oporto..... and after I will decide.
If you have any information, please tell me.
cheers
Dominique

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All the routes are historical - for the simple reason that folk walked from wherever they lived to Santiago - so there are probably thousands of routes that gradually converge on what we see as the 'main' ones today. Even near my home town in Devon UK, I found a chapel wreathed in scallop shells - which a returning pilgrim had decorated in thanks. We took the coastal route from Lisbon to Porto, which is unsigned and largely a matter of following the coast thru ancient towns and discovering the 'clues' - statues of St. James, scallop shells etc as you went along. The only 'hard' evidence was that a Portuguese queen had taken the route, but as most villages/towns along the way are medieval - it was a good bet that she and others had travelled that way - especially with the sea on your left! I now keep my eyes open wherever i am - and look for 'clues', and I've been rewarded with statues, shells, stained windows and (in Belgium recently) a church full of wooden statues of St. James - ready to perambulate the town on a Holy Day!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
peregrino_tom said:
Hi Jan
So the options are

cheers, tom

If you 'get your credential on forehand , you'll see that at the backside some maps a.o.the Portugese route and you'll see lines drawn from Lisbon all way up to Santiago ,supposed to be the coastal route.
I bought a Michelin map of Portugal and so the route is easy to follow. I also bought an iphone navigation off line app NAVMII of Portugal (about 8 Euros) which help me to find my way

At this forum somewhere you 'll find a link to where to get your credential on forehand (pilgrim fathers in Peterborough U.K.

Bom caminho

My husband and I will be walking from Valenca, Portugal to Santiago and then onto Muxia. We are doing some sightseeing first in Lisbon , then renting a car onto Fatima and then---to head up north! Braga for a day or two and We will return the car in Porto and bus to Valenca ( I think.) We will be begin walking on June 25th...
I have all our flights, rooms where appropriate and our car rental. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!
Anyone else walking at this time?? Look for us! i have my badge, so say hi!
Peace! Michele

Thank you all for your advice and information.
I will try to follow the central route via Barcelos.
Just packed my credential, passport, plain ticket to Porto, toothbrush, sleeping bag...
I hope I am not missing something.
Any one has a hint on where to pick up caminho-signs near the airport?

Thank you all,
Jan Nieuwland

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hallo Jan,
Wij willen starten vanuit Porto in het voorjaar. Graag hoor ik over de route die je neemt, ik zit te twijfelen tussen de Costa route en de traditionele via Rates en Lima. Heb jij een boekje gekocht of zo? Of heb je iets handigs gedownload?
Gr. Jaap

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back