• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - October - first Camino

TWA

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal
I will be commencing my first Camino, from Porto to Santiago, in October. Curious to learn of the pros and cons of coastal versus interior route. What makes one preferable to the other? Is there a distinct difference in the distance between one and the other, or differences in resources/facilities?
Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The coastal route is longer, with a bit less infrastructure but still plenty of towns and good accommodation and food options. Coastal is also less crowded. Depends on what you are looking for, as I live on the prairie we preferred the coastal route. It’s also possible to do some coastal and then switch to the central. Or switch from the central back to the coastal at Valenca

Last edited:
I have only done the central route. There are lots of beautiful stretches that way. Infrastructure is very good. I walked in September/October 2017 and the infrastructure was more than adequate and never had a problem finding a bed, I don't follow stages that are mentioned in books and apps. I usually just try to walk each day about as far as my body tells me to. Looking at the Coastal Camino, which I want to walk in the future, I see two very large differences. The first of course is scenery. You seem to prefer to walk the coast. The second d is the coastal route is easier than the central. As it appears to be alot flatter. The CF central is NOT a difficult route to walk with regards to the hills. Even the hill out of Ponte de Lima (a beautiful town) is very manageable to say the least. The biggest drawback of the CF is the very large amount of road walking and at times walking along busy highways. You may avoid some of this on the coastal route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
IMHO they are both gorgeous for very different reasons. The Coastal is a bit longer, but not by that much. The coastal does have ups and downs, and may be more strenuous that at first appearance. But the coast is the coast, and we did portions on the Senda Litoral, which were walking on the hard-packed sandy beaches. If you love the beach, this is the ticket!
The Central has way more history, but they both walk on portions of old Roman roads, yet the Central still has more castles, churches, and is the way most pilgrims traveled from times of yore.
They both have sufficient services, accommodations, etc, with the Central having more because of more pilgrims.
If you wish to see my website, with tons of photos, resources, etc to help you make the decision, please click on day fifteen of the Central Route and day fifteen of the Coastal to help you decide. Both pages are where I started each section from Porto. I hope you fall in love with Portugal so much that you will decide to both eventually like we did! Happy planning!

Great feedback - thank you. I received Brierley’s Camino Portugues book today and it does appear the Central is a bit more “organized” with more accommodations. Makes sense as it is the historical route. And with some of the disputes between the tourism office and those maintaining the Camino, I’d rather avoid areas where there isn’t as much clarity on the course.
I will continue to watch this thread so any additional feedback is much appreciated.

Elle - it sure seems confusing to get out of Porto! Obviously one needs to pay close attention, both to written directions as well as the sometimes obscure arrows. Thanks for details and photos.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Elle - it sure seems confusing to get out of Porto! Obviously one needs to pay close attention, both to written directions as well as the sometimes obscure arrows. Thanks for details and photos.
Yes, I am afraid it is. But you will be fine. Stay alert and keep looking for those arrows! Finding the Central is a tad easier, but if you do choose the Senda Litoral, if you lose the way, you can't go wrong if you just head for the river! Good luck and happy planning!

IMHO they are both gorgeous for very different reasons. The Coastal is a bit longer, but not by that much. The coastal does have ups and downs, and may be more strenuous that at first appearance. But the coast is the coast, and we did portions on the Senda Litoral, which were walking on the hard-packed sandy beaches. If you love the beach, this is the ticket!
The Central has way more history, but they both walk on portions of old Roman roads, yet the Central still has more castles, churches, and is the way most pilgrims traveled from times of yore.
They both have sufficient services, accommodations, etc, with the Central having more because of more pilgrims.
If you wish to see my website, with tons of photos, resources, etc to help you make the decision, please click on day fifteen of the Central Route and day fifteen of the Coastal to help you decide. Both pages are where I started each section from Porto. I hope you fall in love with Portugal so much that you will decide to both eventually like we did! Happy planning!
I don't know if TWA is going to check out your site. I walked Lisbon-SDC Central Route 2 years ago. I will be walking with some of my college brothers in about a year or so. I don't think they will want to do more than about 3 weeks and I was thinking of meeting them in Porto and doing the Coastal Route and if they have more than 2 weeks doing the Finisterre/Muxia loop. I haven't walked to Muxia yet. If I have time I will when I walk CF starting on October 29th. I was thinking of us starting about mid October. I know I could check it out myself but do you know if most albergues and hostels are still open then? Thanks

I don't know if TWA is going to check out your site. I walked Lisbon-SDC Central Route 2 years ago. I will be walking with some of my college brothers in about a year or so. I don't think they will want to do more than about 3 weeks and I was thinking of meeting them in Porto and doing the Coastal Route and if they have more than 2 weeks doing the Finisterre/Muxia loop. I haven't walked to Muxia yet. If I have time I will when I walk CF starting on October 29th. I was thinking of us starting about mid October. I know I could check it out myself but do you know if most albergues and hostels are still open then? Thanks
It is my understanding that the Central keeps albergues open late in the year because of its popularity. I would be doubtful of the coastal. Truthfully, I don't know for sure. If @Albertinho is around, he would know I'm sure! Maybe he will see this message!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is my understanding that the Central keeps albergues open late in the year because of its popularity. I would be doubtful of the coastal. Truthfully, I don't know for sure. If @Albertinho is around, he would know I'm sure! Maybe he will see this message!
I have got all the Wise Pilgrim apps on my phone. A few years ago you could buy something like 10 apps for about $20US it was a great deal. I don't think he offers that anymore. I will also look at Gronze. That should give me a good idea.

You could consider walking from the cathedral down the hill to the river, turn right when get to the river and walk to Matosinhos (spelling?). From there you can follow your guide etc to your chosen route.

Also, it is not unusual for folks to hop on the metro and ride to the Mercado stop (on the Blue line if I remember correctly), from there, again consult your guide to get to your chosen route.

Both these options remove the need to walk through the streets of Porto if you want to avoid that.

Buen (relaxed start to your) Camino

You could consider walking from the cathedral down the hill to the river, turn right when get to the river and walk to Matosinhos (spelling?). From there you can follow your guide etc to your chosen route.

Also, it is not unusual for folks to hop on the metro and ride to the Mercado stop (on the Blue line if I remember correctly), from there, again consult your guide to get to your chosen route.

Both these options remove the need to walk through the streets of Porto if you want to avoid that.

Buen (relaxed start to your) Camino

John - both are good suggestions. Actually contemplated the metro option but could also go to the river...can’t really make a mistake if you make the “right” turn.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
We did the Senda Litoral until Viana do Castelo, then the central from Ponte de Lima.

The 500 bus in Porto drops you in Matosinhos to start the Litoral.

The Trailsmart app worked well.

I want to do again beginning of October, slightly different route.

Hello!
I am “ planning “ to start my camino from Lisbon in the 3rd week in October 2021 to SdeC via Porto Central route! Any tips please ?! I know I cannot get my bag transported like I did on the Camino Frances with Correos.. do get back . Very Best Wishes, Vivek ( Sweden)

Most read last week in this forum

I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Since 2009 I run a small hotel with bar and vegetarian restaurant on the camino francés. It was a dream come true when we could buy this house and in 2 years we restored it into a hotel with 3...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
Male 61 years old, single and after a major unexpected change in my life I need a solo trip to figure out some life. I also hope to possibly get some direction. I have never traveled alone but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back