• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues too busy in August ??

SaskiadeV

Time of past OR future Camino
Dear All,

I consider walking the Camino Portugues in August of this year.
In the brierley book it;s mentioned that it is very busy in August and difficult to find a place to sleep.

Can anybody please share their experience with me please ?

Many thanks, Saskia.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There were 7,334 on the Camino Portugues in August 2014, or about 250 per day, according to the compostelas issued in Santiago.

There were 7,334 on the Camino Portugues in August 2014, or about 250 per day, according to the compostelas issued in Santiago.
Thank you for your reply ! To be honoust...I don't have any idea if that is a lot and if it means it's easy or not easy to find a place to sleep...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Keep in mind August is the national holiday month in Portugal and Spain.
If you walk from albergue to albergue there will be no problem I think but I you want to walk the coastal route you possibly could encounter more people around in hostals etc.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you walk from albergue to albergue there will be no problem I think but I you want to walk the coastal route you possibly could encounter more people around in hostals etc.
Yes...I prefer to walk in a different month, but my calendar doesn't allow me

Go here to see the accommodations from Porto:

http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-portugues

If there are 250 beds in your chosen destination, there will be no problem finding one. If there are 21 as in Vilarinho, it may be a problem.
I should not advise to walk from Porto to Vilarinho due to the very busy and dangerous roads you walk alongside on the hard shoulder north of Porto and many cobblestoned roads But take the conveniant and relaxed detour alongside the Atlantic coast from Porto via Matosinhos and Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates where you are on the central route to Barcelos again.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Okay you always can send me a pm (conversation..click on my avatar and on start conversation ). I am Dutch too !
I walked from Lisboa to Santiago in 2013 ,last year from Ferrol to Santiago and this year May intending to walk the coastal from Porto to Santiago .
We explored the coastal last year when we were on holiday in Portugal and Galicia.

If you do it at the very end of August, it would not be a problem with crowds, most Spanish people start in the Spanis border, in Tui.

As suggested above, I woudl follow river Douro to the sea, it is a lovely walk, and woudl follow the coast up to Matosinhos (where there are lots of restaurants offering grilled fresh fish, yummy!), then go further up to coast to Angeiros by the beach, where you can get a hut in the camping site (special price for pilgrims, you can make usage of their swimming pool. The following day, you can walk to Vila de Conde and from them to San Pedro de Rates, a lovely little town with an excellent romanesque church and a gorgeous albergue.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you do it at the very end of August, it would not be a problem with crowds, most Spanish people start in the Spanis border, in Tui.

As suggested above, I woudl follow river Douro to the sea, it is a lovely walk, and woudl follow the coast up to Matosinhos (where there are lots of restaurants offering grilled fresh fish, yummy!), then go further up to coast to Angeiros by the beach, where you can get a hut in the camping site (special price for pilgrims, you can make usage of their swimming pool. The following day, you can walk to Vila de Conde and from them to San Pedro de Rates, a lovely little town with an excellent romanesque church and a gorgeous albergue.
Thank you for your reply ! Very helpful !
Is there a guia like this for every camino ?
There is a guide written by John Brierley. Issued by Findhorn Press in England about the caminho Português I bought mine at Amazon.com

But about the Portuges route An important part of the caminho Português is on Portugese soil. So it can be busy there in August.
We stayed at the campingsite just before Vila do Conde Costed us 40 € for the night. But it was great. Is a big camping supposed to be busy in the high season.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How about May. I am considering a May hike in 2016.

The so called "high season", usually starts after Easter.

Although August it's a hot month, there is a lot of people doing it. And with the development and "advertising" that the Camiño had in the last few months (radio and television), probably it will be again a year with the numbers increasing.

But hey, try your luck. It could be very hot, and you might find the possibility to sleep under the stars :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
have you considered the Coastal route from Porto? I imagine it is busy the first few days as you walk along the coast and it is holiday season but the promenades are wide and beautiful. I have step by step maps if you are interested!

I am also really looking forward to all that delicious ((see)food

Thank you all so much for your reply !! I will read them all carefully and decide than what I will do.

Is it more expensive to find a place to sleep on the Portugues than on the Frances ?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all so much for your reply !! I will read them all carefully and decide than what I will do.

Is it more expensive to find a place to sleep on the Portugues than on the Frances ?

The further up North you go, the cheaper it gets. Mostly because, south from Porto, you don't have many Albergues. But from Porto, all the infrastructures are ste to welcome pilgrims. Public Alrbegues cost 6€, and privates go from 10 to 25€. Some of the privates include dinner and breakfast.

There is a new Albergue in Porto: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-albergue-in-porto.31018/#post-268259

How about May. I am considering a May hike in 2016.
May is great. Apart from the beautiful fresh green nature and the blooming, the month of May is greatfor walking. Not too hot. Not too many people. If you start in Lisbon you only are one of the few. from Porto you will meet more pilgrims

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Albergue prices on the portugees and frances are the same. Certainly not more expensive.
I did find the portugees part of the Porto to SdC route for all other thing alot cheaper then the Spanish part of the route. Oh...and much better food in Portugal!

I'm gonna walk in may, just like last year. Had GREAT weather and just enough people to have a good time with, but not too many too feel like its overcrowded.

Albergue prices on the portugees and frances are the same. Certainly not more expensive.
I did find the portugees part of the Porto to SdC route for all other thing alot cheaper then the Spanish part of the route. Oh...and much better food in Portugal!

I'm gonna walk in may, just like last year. Had GREAT weather and just enough people to have a good time with, but not too many too feel like its overcrowded.
@Dutch I do not agree with your remark that prices of albergues on the Francès and Português are the same.
As soon as you cross the border in Galicia ,yes there are Xunta albergues.. In 2014 6€ per night per person. But in Portugal the most albergues are private ones between donativo and about 18€ per night per person.so for pilgrims who are on tight budget it is good to know that they can expect a variation of prices in Portugal. Special on the Lisbon to Porto leg are the albergues like hotels/hostals with dorms for two to four or more people.Highlites are Santarèm hostal and Hilario's in Mealhada/Serdanello.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was talking about Porto to SdC part.

Did not stay in an albergue is Porto. Anything beyond porto is, in my memory, similar to Frances. I surely did not pay 18 euro for an albergue every night.

After Porto you'll find an albergue in São Pedro de Rates which is donativo,
The one in Barcelos I do'nt know..we missed that one so we took a hotel .
The next was Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piaës which is donativo.
Ponte deLima has an albergue but we chose for a hostal.Rubiaës has an albergue but here too we chose for a hostal.
We stayed in Valença in a hostal and as far as I know there is no albergue.
The first albergue is over the river Miño in Tui and here start all Xunta albergues 6€ except for Caldas de Reis where is a privat albergue We paid 30€ for a so called "cama matrimonia" a room with a double bed.
The costs of living indeed in Portugal are much cheaper as in Spain.
A breakfast for us two f.ex. Some bums and coffee or tea 2,50 to 3€. (In Spain almost double). Menu do dia (warm lunch 2 or 3 courses) 7 to 8 € (in Spain 10€)
Coffee 0,60€ etc etc.

After Porto you'll find an albergue in São Pedro de Rates which is donativo,
The one in Barcelos I do'nt know..we missed that one so we took a hotel .
The next was Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piaës which is donativo.
Ponte deLima has an albergue but we chose for a hostal.Rubiaës has an albergue but here too we chose for a hostal.
We stayed in Valença in a hostal and as far as I know there is no albergue.
The first albergue is over the river Miño in Tui and here start all Xunta albergues 6€ except for Caldas de Reis where is a privat albergue We paid 30€ for a so called "cama matrimonia" a room with a double bed.
The costs of living indeed in Portugal are much cheaper as in Spain.
A breakfast for us two f.ex. Some bums and coffee or tea 2,50 to 3€. (In Spain almost double). Menu do dia (warm lunch 2 or 3 courses) 7 to 8 € (in Spain 10€)
Coffee 0,60€ etc etc.

You have two Albergues in Barcelos, both of them with prices from 6 to 8€;
Albergue de Ponte de Lima > 6€;
Rubiães > Donativo;
Valença do Minho > Has full fuctioning Albergue (one of the oldest from the Portuguese Caminho), price 6€;
All the Albergues in Caldas de Reis are in fact private, but there is one that does the price of the Xunta (6€).

And I keep telling you guy's: menú do dia in Portugal doesn't have the full service that the spanish menu del dia offers. Neither the size of the doses.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You have two Albergues in Barcelos, both of them with prices from 6 to 8€;
Albergue de Ponte de Lima > 6€;
Rubiães > Donativo;
Valença do Minho > Has full fuctioning Albergue (one of the oldest from the Portuguese Caminho), price 6€;
All the Albergues in Caldas de Reis are in fact private, but there is one that does the price of the Xunta (6€).

And I keep telling you guy's: menú do dia in Portugal doesn't have the full service that the spanish menu del dia offers. Neither the size of the doses.
Amigo thanks that is great information. Several times we ordered a menu do dia. In Portugal. Starter, main dish and postre. Just like It was during.my time I worked in Barcelona .to me there was no difference except for the price.

Um abraço

Amigo thanks that is great information. Several times we ordered a menu do dia. In Portugal. Starter, main dish and postre. Just like It was during.my time I worked in Barcelona .to me there was no difference except for the price.

Um abraço

Menú del dia in the majority of Spain: soup/caldo, bread, main course, dessert or cafe, and beverage.

Menu do dia in majority of Portugal: main course, beverage, cafe or dessert. You might now find some Menu do Dia very simillar to the spanish version, however with no bred and no soup, and a smaller food ration.

Menú del dia in the majority of Spain: soup/caldo, bread, main course, dessert or cafe, and beverage.

Menu do dia in majority of Portugal: main course, beverage, cafe or dessert. You might now find some Menu do Dia very simillar to the spanish version, however with no bred and no soup, and a smaller food ration.
Waiter...Soup and bread On the menu .?.. I asked... What is the price for the soup ? ......2€. .....And the bread ? ....... Nothing ! ....Give me the bread por favor ...!:p

Last edited:

€149,-

It might vary -
in Ponte de Lima for e.g. @ a small restaurant @ the river/view onto the ponte as well :
soup / bread / main course w/ salad (believe i chose fish) AND 1/2 liter vinho verde = 6 Euros
simple and good fare, cooked by grandmum / Avo' - and on cold rainy days: hit the spot!
Overall I enjoyed the food much more in Portugal - but also had very tasty bites on occassion in Galicia :)

It might vary -
in Ponte de Lima for e.g. @ a small restaurant @ the river/view onto the ponte as well :
soup / bread / main course w/ salad (believe i chose fish) AND 1/2 liter vinho verde = 6 Euros
simple and good fare, cooked by grandmum / Avo' - and on cold rainy days: hit the spot!
Overall I enjoyed the food much more in Portugal - but also had very tasty bites on occassion in Galicia :)
I remember that restaurant Claudia. Lots of locals so good quality of food and drinks. Great bacalhao dishes.
Can't wait to go back... About three and a half month from now.

Will hopefully walk the part Porto -SdC end of August ( more or less starting around 25th ) and getting a tad concerned about the hot weather then. I always walked April/May. So going to be one of the early risers now myself..promise not to rustle with my bags and flash a light. ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can eat that food... EVERYDAY :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bacalhau, pasteis de nata ( or even better, pastis de Bélem ), the soup with beans and sausage, seafood, etc! Is it July already?

Bacalhau, pasteis de nata ( or even better, pastis de Bélem ), the soup with beans and sausage, seafood, etc! Is it July already?

Pasteis de Nata are better :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Only because you can eat those all through Portugal
No. Because you can eat them at any time, not necessarily warm, and you also don't need to use cinnamon and sugar. Ohhhh, and the price too ;)

Demais dos pasteís de nata will make you fat my good friend !
Better eat you vegies más poxa ! I must admit they taste delicious !:D

I would also do it in another month. Also, the heat can be an issue during this month.

Been Camino,

Texas guy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Demais dos pasteís de nata will make you fat my good friend !
Better eat you vegies más poxa ! I must admit they taste delicious !:D

One every once in a while, there is no problem with that ;) I'm going through a strict diet, so I can manage to eat one every cheat day (usually Friday), that I have. But only one!

I've already answered to your email, sorry for a so late answer :oops:

I said "never again" but this thread is inspiring.

It brings back good times.

Thanks all.

August will be okay. If you ended up sleeping in a hedge it wouldn't be the end of the world. Our ancestors have been doing it for a million years.

Last edited:
May is great. Apart from the beautiful fresh green nature and the blooming, the month of May is greatfor walking. Not too hot. Not too many people. If you start in Lisbon you only are one of the few. from Porto you will meet more pilgrims
Will probably start around Porto and plan to also do SDC to Finisterre. I did not hike on to Finisterre when I did the French route last May and have regretted it ever since.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Will probably start around Porto and plan to also do SDC to Finisterre. I did not hike on to Finisterre when I did the French route last May and have regretted it ever since.
Albertonho,
I am continuing from Tui on March 29, and planning to get to Santiago by April 2nd or 3rd and continue to Finisterre.

If anyone is going to be around that area, please let me know.

Bom caminho!

Texasguy

Thanks for the info. If this old body holds up, (I'll be 70 in May, 2016) I'm in.
Crumbs! You're just a baby.
I'm walking the remote Ebro route in May [perfect month as Albertinho says] and I'll be 76. Age is just a number on a piece of paper.
Personally, I wouldn't walk in August - too hot up to around 40 degs in the sun by 11:30 a.m. - and there will be plenty of sun.
It's a beautiful camino - you can see my diary on my web site.
Incidentally, I think Albertinho celebrated his 110th birthday this year .... and still owes me a beer.
Buen camino!

I'm walking the remote Ebro route in May [perfect month as Albertinho says] and I'll be 76. Age is just a number on a piece of paper.
Personally, I wouldn't walk in August - too hot up to around 40 degs in the sun by 11:30 a.m. - and there will be plenty of sun.
Incidentally, I think Albertinho celebrated his 110th birthday this year .... and still owes me a beer.
Buen camino!
That's correct Stephan. 110 years young on the day we start in Porto. But I still jump one yard high over a fence, run the marathon in 2h10.17 and owe you a Newcastle brown ale . In Santiago ! So walk on from my beloved Catalunya to Santiago and see you there beginning of May next at the Casino cafe ,set of chairs left near the window. If you see a young 110 years young god, it is me !:p:p

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen camino!
Guess I am a wuss. B-T-W, I plan to do the Portuguese route in May, 2016. 40 degs is hot, right? We Amis still use F degs.

Hi Jay - 40 degree Celsius = 104 degree Fahrenheit. Yep. I call that hot :)

Guess I am a wuss. B-T-W, I plan to do the Portuguese route in May, 2016. 40 degs is hot, right? We Amis still use F degs.
So unless we will come sooner to see you in the UK again, we will meet you in Santiago in 2016 . Same time, same place -I'll buy you a beer by then.:)

AMSimoes talked about another Portugese route so we have another excuse to come back to Portugal in 2016.

Oh this caminho addiction. :D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
have you considered the Coastal route from Porto? I imagine it is busy the first few days as you walk along the coast and it is holiday season but the promenades are wide and beautiful. I have step by step maps if you are interested!
BCRockies, i would appreciate your maps. Will be starting in Coimbra May 16, 2015. Thank you. Send to caminolesstraveled@gmail.com

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back