A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

camino primitivo in middle september?

Advertisment

Redhead Keith

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
Hola oferofer. I'm doing this too, but starting in León mid-sep on the Salvator - I've posted on this forum too, but have not had one reply. Keep me informed please, I'd like to know as I will be on the Primitivo sep -october. I know that at least one alberque closes at the end of sep. Best wishes, Keith

Camino(s) past & future
hi
maybe i will start also in Leon..on the Salvador...
but is it possible to hike mountains in september weather...? and maybe closed albergue..?

Camino(s) past & future
hi
maybe i will start also in Leon..on the Salvador...
but is it possible to hike mountains in september weather...? and maybe closed albergue..?

Redhead Keith

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
I hope it is good weather, or reasonable - a rain storm can always be expected. I have booked my flights, so I will be in Leon on the 18th and start from there. I am still trying to check-out the alberques. Most seem open.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
I hope it is good weather, or reasonable - a rain storm can always be expected. I have booked my flights, so I will be in Leon on the 18th and start from there. I am still trying to check-out the alberques. Most seem open.
Haven't started yet planning. .just read on Salvador today for first time. ..any sleeping places recommendation on Salvador and primitivo?

Trude

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francais 2013 Finnestere, Muxia 2013, 2017
Norte 2014, Francais, 2015, 2016, VDLP 2017
hi
is it possible and nice to walk camino primitivo in middle to end september?
Of course it’s a great time to walk. The blackberries are ripe for the picking buy a yogurt and you have healthy food all the way. I love walking in September. Buen Camino!

Redhead Keith

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
Of course it’s a great time to walk. The blackberries are ripe for the picking buy a yogurt and you have healthy food all the way. I love walking in September. Buen Camino!
Hi Trude, thanks for the encouraging words. The Primitivo is challenging, it passes through the mountainous areas of Asturias - do you have experience of the Primitivo and recommend that late September/early October will be a great time to walk? The advice of our fellow pilgrims, their recommendations and advice, may determine what we pack in our rucksacks, what we come to expect from climate and conditions. Thanks again. Keith

Trude

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francais 2013 Finnestere, Muxia 2013, 2017
Norte 2014, Francais, 2015, 2016, VDLP 2017
Hi Keith, Spain is glorious in September. I have only walked part of the Primitivo when I volunteered as a hospitalario, the part I walked from Oviedo was beautiful. I have walked the Norte from Irun, Via De la Plata, from Seville, Portuguese from Lisbon and French 4 times twice from SJPD and twice from Pamplona. I usually walk in March and endure cold and snow as I hate crowds.
I walked the French in September .....the best it was amazing weather. Good luck

camino07

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18
Hi Keith, I walked solo the Salvador/Primitivo two years ago,late September/October and the weather was perfect. It only rained in Berducedo after a lovely walk over Hospitales and from Melide onwards.
I took a fleece,rainjacket and sleeping bag as I get cold after a day's walk. Challenging for me with the ups and downs but made it and thinking about a repeat.
Have a wonderful Camino.
Heather

Redhead Keith

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
Hi Heather - thank you for the feed back, its very helpful. Keith

We should be walking the Primitivo now, but being Spanish based we can go when we want. Due to the bad underfoot (and overhead!) conditions at the moment, we are delaying until late September/early October.

We won't have the spring flowers but we should have the autumn fruits to enjoy.

Good luck for your Camino.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member
I totally agree with everyone's comments - - I think the scenery from Buiza to Pajares is more spectacular in summer, but fall is probably more likely to be dry (at least early fall). And the blackberries, oh the blackberries..... I remember starting out from León one year with two others in late September. We walked to Pola de Gordón that day, but our arrival was much later than it would have been if the blackberries had not been so abundant.

And as an added bonus, you may get snow at higher elevations. The walk out of Tineo is spectacular in most conditions, but with snow on the mountains behind it is just gorgeous.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Future (God-willing): Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo (2018)
My family and I are starting the Salvador and Primitivo on 10 October and noone has warned us not to so I assume it should be fine! I guess that means you'll have no worries in September.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June