• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Sept 2013 - where do I start?

fallow

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
Hi there.

My name is Mary and I am planning to do my first Camino walk in September of next year. If I were to set 3 weeks aside and wish to end in Santiago where would you experienced walkers suggest I start from? I hope that someone out there can give me some suggestions.

I will possibly be walking on my own and I know that my husband will want me to have everything very thoroughly organised before I set out. I have just ordered my boots (Keen Targhee 2) and can hardly wait for them to arrive so that I can make a start on my walking fitness! :)

Mary from Australia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Enjoy your camino journey and what a great experience! The last 100 km takes about 5 days from Sarria, there are so many beautiful places to visit as you walk. I loved seeing Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Astorga, and many villages that are so peaceful and great to stay in. Difficult to choose where to start depending on places you would like to see since you are traveling such a great distance. Decisions.... BUEN CAMINO!! :arrow:

Leon to Santiago is 14-15 days; Burgos is 490 km, so it is a bit much for 21 days. If 21 days is your total time, then starting in Leon would give you time to walk to Fisterra, or just hang around Santiago and take a bus to the Atlantic. Sahagun after Burgos would be a good starting point for 21 days of walking. Go here to see the distance options:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Mary, the best three sections are the first 10 days, about 5 days in the Irago Mountains from Astorga, and the last 5 days.

You could start in St Jean and walk to Logrono in 9 or 10 days. Take a bus to Leon and spend a night there. Take the morning bus to Astorga (only 50 minutes) and start walking to Rabanal.

From there you could walk to Villafranca in 4 days and then get a bus to Sarria and walk the last 5 days to Santiago.

That way you walk in the Pyrenees, see the famous Cruz de Fero and the Templar castle in Ponferrada, and you earn the Compostela by walking the last 100km.

Mary, I'd be inclined to start from Leon. You should have enough time when you finish walking to explore Santiago or to go on to Finisterre if you so wish.

It's difficult to pick which sections to walk and which to miss because everyone has their favourite places. Some don't like the meseta, others (myself included) love it.

Whatever you decide to do there will always be something that you'll miss out on. Better to accept that it's impossible to see/do everything in a limited time and immerse yourself in wherever you do decide to walk.

If your husband is concerned about your walking alone, bring him along to one of our Sydney pilgrim meetings. A great many of the women there have walked the Camino by themselves.

The meetings are held at the Spanish Club in Liverpool Street and the next one is this Saturday at noon.

Hi Mary!
You've had some excellent advice. All would add is that - it depends where you want to end up. You have suggested Santiago. If you allow yourself 20 kms per day, that should give you time to really enjoy the camino, chat to other pilgrims etc.
Don't rush the camino.....let the pleasure sink into your subconscious! There are many posts in the forum on ladies walking alone: it is not considered to be a major problem. If you walk the Camino Frances there will be plenty of other pilgrims to keep you company - if that's what you want.
I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. If your husband needs any personal comments, he/you are welcome to send me a PM or an e-mail.
Gd bless you both.
Buen camino!

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you so much to all you lovely people for making suggestions about where and how I might go about planning my Camino. There is a lot of information there for me to sift through which is really helpful. I am hoping to be able to spend longer that the 3 weeks but will plan conservatively in the meantime. I am in Sydney and would love to join the Camino group in the Spanish Cub soon - it will probably have to wait till next year, once Christmas and New Year are behind us! I ordered John Brierley's book (latest edition) from Book Depository yesterday and am hoping that I will find that very useful too. Thanks once again one and all - Mary

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back