• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping gear on the Camino

freeflyer123

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Camino de Santiago
We have decided, after much deliberation, to take our tent when we do the Camino on our bikes. For various reasons really. One thing we would like to know from other campers is: should we carry a small stove with us in order to make tea, etc.? Also, I suspect that there is no shortage of eating places, but we generally like to set off very early in the morning, and eat quite early in the evening too, so I would have thought that cooking for ourselves might be the better option?
Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received. Can't wait - less than two weeks to go :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
freeflyer123 said:
We have decided, after much deliberation, to take our tent when we do the Camino on our bikes. For various reasons really. One thing we would like to know from other campers is: should we carry a small stove with us in order to make tea, etc.? Also, I suspect that there is no shortage of eating places, but we generally like to set off very early in the morning, and eat quite early in the evening too, so I would have thought that cooking for ourselves might be the better option?
Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received. Can't wait - less than two weeks to go :D

freeflyer123,

You must be VERY excited as you get close to leaving!

I can't answer your question re camping gear but there may be a night or two when you might wish to stay in an albergue. Check out the Bike-Lne Service especially for cyclists on the Camino Frances which lists those albergues which ARE definitely cyclist friendly. See >> http://bike-line.blogspot.com.es/ As you scan down the right hand column of the home page you will see PASAPORTE BIKELINE mentioned above a photo of a red guide book. Click on the photo and you will open the list.

For example one such albergue where I stayed as a walker late October 2010 is at Viloria de Rioja just east of Belorado. Acacio and Orietta have a wonderful refuge for all pilgrims, walkers and cyclists. They have created this comfortable oasis from abandoned animal sheds; there are 10 bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove. Great showers water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. Wifi is available as is a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho. See >> http://www.peregrinando.org/.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks for the info, Margaret. I will print out the list because it would be nice to have alternatives as well as the tent. We initially bought a tent for two which, in the shop, weight quite well. But once we got it home and compared it with our original tent, we realised that we were adding a whole 2 lbs (1 kg) to our load - so decided on the older tent. I am not particularly happy with this older tent because, although it sleeps two, is less than roomy and one has to climb over the other to get out! A night, or two, in a cycle-friendly albergue might be just the ticket.

You are right, I am totally beyond excited. My husband has been thinking about it for at least 2 years, when we kept running across people who were cycling there. But it was only at the beginning of this year when I realised that there was just nothing in the way to stop us. Both retired, we can spare a few months from the 'rat-race'. My main concern was leaving my mother who relies on seeing us daily. But my sister has solved that by coming to live nearby. Initially, I was thinking that this might be the last time we do anything 'mammoth', but have since revised that to being the first of many 'mammoth' caminos! In fact, said sister was intimating that she might like to walk the Camino in some year's time :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back