• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can anyone give advice about Santiago de Compostella?

Briamo94

Time of past OR future Camino
dsad
I am planning to walk the Camino de Santiago in November. If anyone has ever walked the Camino or visited Santiago de Compostealla, I would be grateful if you would share your experiences with me. I would be most grateful for any advice particularly regarding lodging and transportation. Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am planning to walk the Camino de Santiago in November. If anyone has ever walked the Camino or visited Santiago de Compostealla, I would be grateful if you would share your experiences with me. I would be most grateful for any advice particularly regarding lodging and transportation. Thanks.

Hello and welcome here!

You are at the right address for ALL kind of information about the different Caminos.
Do take your time to browse through this very informative forum.

There are " sticky " threads which will prove useful for a new pilgrim.
In the right upper corner there is also a " search " function.

Feel free to pop in anytime.
We ALL started as new pilgrims full of excitement and with lots of questions.

Buen Camino!

Sabine.
Your response is better than mine.

There isn't a thumbs up emoticon or I would use it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Many albergues have closed for the year, so call ahead. The cafes and restaurants that cater to pilgrims also have closed, so take some supplies.

Santiago is open and very festive as Christmas approaches.

Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Read every question on here first and you 'll learn everything you need to know including faq

Hi @Briamo94

Welcome. Apart from the best info given above (ie. check the info already on this forum and waiting for you (in separate sections on this forum and search function for specifics)
; a helpful thing might be to also obtain for yourself a guide to the camino. There are many, but a simple one used by many of us on our first camino Francés , is called the John Brierely guide.
Then, an easy look up online guide is
https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

If you have ‘any’ ‘specific’ question , just ask.
There is always someone on this forum willing to share with you. We have all been where you are.

All the best with planning
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The city has a good bus system. Just be aware if you want to go east and board the west bound bus by mistake you will ride it to the end of the line. Then have to pay another fare to ride it back east to your destination. IE, the fare is good only for one direction. I don't know about transfers.

If you decide to take a train the station is easy to find, and it's suggested you purchase a ticket at least a day in advance. Cheaper that way. We found the ticket agent was not available until 4 PM if we were wanting to purchase train tickets for a future day of travel. We used the services of an agent at the train station versus a kiosk.

The cathedral is undergoing renovation. As such entry and exit is not via the main entrance off the plaza mayor. That side is blocked. There is security screening at the entry, not obtrusive but there just the same. No photography allowed during the mass or of persons using a confessional booth. Each booth is located below a Station of the Cross. So, if you want to photograph the carvings, do so when each booth is unoccupied. The confessor occupies the booth, and the penitent will be kneeling outside in front of the booth. Easy enough to know which ones are in use. The Botafumeiro is not swung during every mass, not even during every pilgrim's mass.

I recommend Casa Manola - the best menu del dia in town and Bar La Tita for the best free tortilla in town, be warned you may have to wait but worth it. Also I always stay in Pension Santa Cristina when I go there, the best value for money

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Dormant for 14 months.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back