• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I do this on a 'whim'

ezsebeth

Time of past OR future Camino
November (2014)
I've been wanting to walk the camino for years, but school made it impossible to go. When I knew I would be graduating this september, I decided to leave at the end of September, beginning October. I started reading up on a lot of things, looking out for gear. I was mentally ready to go.

But then I got the news that my father was terminally ill. I decided not to go and take care of my father, because Santiago de Compostella would always be there, but my father wouldn't. Now, my father passed away sooner than we thought. I'm still grieving, but I feel like I need to get away from here. I need to be somewhere where I can have some me-time and just think.

The question: Can I just get my gear this week and just leave next week or in two weeks without real preparation except from what I read on here and in books?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome ezsebeth, my condolences on the death of your father.
The short answer is yes, I have met many who did this after watching "The Way". The only concern I would have is footwear, if your shoes/boots are not worn in they can cause real problems with blisters etc. Your feet and their condition can bring your Camino to an end quicker than most things. Whatever you decide have a safe and wonderful Camino.

Totally... going when you have the call is the best time to do it.
It will give you the time and space for yourself which you probably need right now and bring so many things into your life.

Be flexible, try not to feel you have to put your head down and march through, take the time to experience, and never feel that it is not OK to take a bus or taxi if you want to make up some distance, or for any other reason. It is your camino, enjoy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi ezsebeth

So sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with Wayfarer - you can just go. Yes, take care of your feet. Also we're getting to the time of year where you have to take care with the weather and closed albergues, so seek and take advice at the places you stay if you're about to start a long stage over hills etc.

Generally go easy on yourself, and I'm sure you find the thinking space you need there.

Buen Camino.

Wishing you and your family every strength and comfort at this difficult time Ezsebeth. You followed your feeling when deciding to postpone your Camino to look after your father-a decision/gift you'll treasure for the rest of your life. And now a similar 'feeling' is guiding you to make another decision…. I think you already have very wise counsel!
Bonne route
N

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Another thought - see if you can get in here. In Viscarett.
Here is there website - they can help you with getting to St J or Roncesvalles, depending where you wish to start from, if you are arriving in Pamplona. I would definitely get in touch with them - http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

And one final thought - get your pack shipped on until you are a couple of days out of the Pyrenees... :)

Welcome and commiserations. All of the above. We do not know how fit you are or if you have any walking experience or equipment. The success of your Camino when starting without training is in your hands. Be very sensible. Maybe consider short stages and having your bag transported to start with at least? Maybe Orisson or Valcarlos first day? I think that going now in your raw emotional state will give your Camino an added dimension. The Camino helps many come to terms with many things. I wish you well. Go! Go! Go! Keep us posted and Buen Camino!

Thank you everyone!
My feet are the thing I worry about the most, but I will take great of them.

Here is there website - they can help you with getting to St J or Roncesvalles, depending where you wish to start from, if you are arriving in Pamplona. I would definitely get in touch with them - http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Thanks! I will surely look into that. Sounds a lot easier than going through Paris and taking 5 trains to get to Saint Jean.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome and condolences on your loss. I can understand the urge to go now, to get away and have some time to think. I second all the advice on the weather, closed albergues and footwear - go for something that's soft (my personal favourites are Salomons, never had a problem, comfortable from day one) or at least don't go getting a pair of leather boots now because they need time to break in. Also pack as light as is comfortable, ie protection from rain, wind and cold, but don't take extras you think you might need just because you are doing it on short notice. Read through some packing lists and use the search function at the top of the forum to find the season specific advice you need. Also there are shops and farmacias everywhere so if you need something, get it when you need it. Buen Camino!

And one final thought - get your pack shipped on until you are a couple of days out of the Pyrenees... :)
Istvan & Barbara have closed their pension & transfer service for winter. Opens again on March 15th.

Definitely go and walk the camino, it will be good for helping with grief and finding fun and laughter again. You could take a small memento of your father, and leave it behind at the end of the walk as a way of letting go. I carried a small stone which my daughter wrote "dad" on one side and "granddad" on the other, in memory of my father, and left it at the sea in Muxia. It helped.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Take it nice and easy. I think it would be great thing to do. If we worry about getting everything right first time then most people would still be sitting on their armchairs. Do it and very best regards to you at this difficult time.

Dermot

Very sorry to hear about your father. My condolences.
To answer your question, of course you can. My first Camino was done on a whim without any preparation. Honestly I enjoyed it more than my second Camino which was done with preparation. Of course since it's coming on to winter and colder weather, even in such a short period of planning, choose your clothing and footwear well. Lightweight, but warm and a jacket for wet weather.
The worst day on the Camino is still better than the best day sitting at home thinking about doing it. :cool:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you all for the kind words.

I went out and got my boots so I can at least walk them in a bit.

I did come across a hurdle: my mother. She doesn't really want me to go. We compromised however and I won't be starting in Saint Jean. I will have to start somewhere where I only need to walk about 2-3 weeks.

Now I need to figure out where that is and how I'm going to get my passport.

You can get your Compostela endorsed as being walked on behalf of your father if you want.
How do you do that?

Obviously you can only get a Compostela for religious, spiritual or both reasons. When getting it at the Pilgrim's Office you do just say that you have walked in his memory. The Compostela is in your name but they will add "Vivanie Pro: ....your father's name..." to the bottom. It was common for early pilgrim's to walk on someone's behalf and the tradition is still upheld. I have one in the name of my stillborn grandson Jakob.

I will have to start somewhere where I only need to walk about 2-3 weeks.

I walked from Astorga to Santiago this year, it took me 12 days but you can (and possibly should) walk shorter days than I did. It is a beautiful walk, not so over-crowded from Sarria at this time of year as you often hear about in the summer, you get to Santiago to get your Compostella and you can carry on to the sea from there - it takes a few more days. Good luck no matter what you decide :D

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi ezsebeth. Sahagun, Leon or Astorga could all potentially work for you, and are easily reached from Madrid. As nidarosa suggests, you could do a relatively short Camino from Astorga and extend by the extra four or five days to the sea if circumstances allow. Good luck with your planning and new boots! :)

Thank you all for the kind words.

I went out and got my boots so I can at least walk them in a bit.

I did come across a hurdle: my mother. She doesn't really want me to go. We compromised however and I won't be starting in Saint Jean. I will have to start somewhere where I only need to walk about 2-3 weeks.

Now I need to figure out where that is and how I'm going to get my passport.

How do you do that?
Leon is very nice and easy to get to from Madrid. I'm sure you can get a pilgrim's passport there as well. Someone on here knows where to get one there I am sure.
Buen Camino

It doesn't sound to me like you are doing this "on a whim". You have had the interest, you did some research, you had a plan, you made the decision that you had a much higher priority. Now that theoretical plan seems a potential source of healing and reflection. This is not walking the Camino on a whim.

My advice would be: do not underestimate the weather, take time to take care of yourself and stay in touch with your mother. She doesn't want to feel that she has lost you too. Don't make any promises for every day, I don't think that is realistic and if you miss a day she will be more worried because it is out of the norm. Obviously this is advice from another mother, but I think it is good advice.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've been wanting to walk the camino for years, but school made it impossible to go. When I knew I would be graduating this september, I decided to leave at the end of September, beginning October. I started reading up on a lot of things, looking out for gear. I was mentally ready to go.

But then I got the news that my father was terminally ill. I decided not to go and take care of my father, because Santiago de Compostella would always be there, but my father wouldn't. Now, my father passed away sooner than we thought. I'm still grieving, but I feel like I need to get away from here. I need to be somewhere where I can have some me-time and just think.

The question: Can I just get my gear this week and just leave next week or in two weeks without real preparation except from what I read on here and in books?

Ezsebeth:

In a word yes.

That said, make sure you have appropriate clothing for a Winter Camino. I would recommend you fly into Madrid and take the train to Leon. You can get a credential at the Albergue. Starting on the Meseta will also allow you to get your body in walking shape in easier terrain.

Start slowly, listen to your body and let the Camino be your guide.

Ultreya,
Joe

After some thinking, I'm considering starting in Astroga and take my time. And if I feel like it, I can still walk to Finisterre.

Can I get a pilgrim's passport in Astroga?
And do I have to worry about closed Albergues?

Thoughts and prayers are with you Ezsebeth on the passing away of your Father. Re the Camino....of course you can go on a whim, but, please keep in mind your feet - wear good and comfortable shoes/boots, take plenty of warm gear if you are going in the next couple of weeks.....travel safely and best wishes for whatever you decided is right for you at this time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A credencial should be available in the albergue there, although you can always try at the cathedral or the turismo. While some albergues might be closed, most of them should be open at this time of year. Your hospitalero or innkeeper will be able to advise you as to their availability in the upcoming stage.

I dont' know of your fitness state, but I would suggest that you take very short stages (15-20km) for your first few days until you get your sea legs. Feel free to use private accommodation if you need the space, but I think that the company of other pilgrims will be helpful for you. It's not so much that you need time to think, but you need time not to think. Grief takes time, and the Camino has been helpful for many.

Al the Optimist makes an interesting suggestion about having the Pilgrimage Office prepare your compostela (for surely you will get there!) as a memorial to your father. I did this for a colleague this year, and it was very helpful to her family. As well, they might be able to arrange for a memorial Mass to be said by one of the cathedral clergy.

Yes you can. I did it about 6 weeks after deciding it. You will struggle more emotionally than physically. But you will struggle. I didn't meet anyone who didnt...even marathon runners. As long as you have some level of basic fitness and determination you will make it. But bits if you have too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A start in Astorga gives you only one day before some serious uphill and downhill. A start in Leon will give you three or four days to build fitness with gentle ups and downs. If you have the extra time, I suggest starting in Leon, which is easy to reach by train or bus.

Yes, albergues will be closing between the major towns, so you may not find the flexibility to stop almost anywhere. Gronze.com has fairly accurate information on what closes:

http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances

A start in Astorga gives you only one day before some serious uphill and downhill. A start in Leon will give you three or four days to build fitness with gentle ups and downs. If you have the extra time, I suggest starting in Leon, which is easy to reach by train or bus.

Yes, albergues will be closing between the major towns, so you may not find the flexibility to stop almost anywhere. Gronze.com has fairly accurate information on what closes:

http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances

Oh, poop, you're right about the uphill. I thought it wouldn't be that bad, but I better not push it.

And thanks so much for the site! It's really helpfuli

So sorry for your loss, but walking the camino sounds right for you at this time. Take care of your feet, give yourself space if you need it and don't be afraid to take a bus or taxi for a short time as you ease your way into the Camino, or if you need to reach an albergue that is too far to walk comfortably. Just remember though that you cannot skip a section in the last 100kms if you want a Compostela as you have to be able to say that you have walked it. (If you have to seek accomodation off the Camino for any reason then taxi there and just return to the same spot next morning to continue your walking.)
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The loss and grief from the death of a loved one - even if we are expecting it - can be more severe than we ever imagined it would be .... that wanting to leap geographically, an impulse like that can be an unconscious attempt to avoid the mental process of coming to terms with a world that is missing someone, but you don't, you take it with you .... so - can you go on a whim? of course you can ... should you go now? well, it is only you who knows the answer to that.

Remember that if you go next week, the middle of November, you will be going in late autumn ... if you start from St Jean you would be walking in Galicia in the middle of winter. Refugios are beginning to close for the winter, the weather is unpredictable - except that, being November/December it is more likely to be wintery. You will have to carry more gear, so a heavier pack .. are you fit? Do you like walking in bad weather? (Though, with the climate as it is it could be wonderful weather - who knows!).

Can you go on a whim? Of course! Should you go now? I don't know .... do you need to get away now? I don't know. If so, pack the kit and go - or, you could spend the winter at home getting used to the change in your circumstances and planning a spring pilgrimage .... let us know what you decide!!

Last edited:
The loss and grief from the death of a loved one - even if we are expecting it - can be more severe than we ever imagined it would be .... that wanting to leap geographically, an impulse like that can be an unconscious attempt to avoid the mental process of coming to terms with a world that is missing someone, but you don't, you take it with you .... so - can you go on a whim? of course you can ... should you go now? well, it is only you who knows the answer to that.

Remember that if you go next week, the middle of November, you will be going in late autumn ... if you start from St Jean you would be walking in Galicia in the middle of winter. Refugios are beginning to close for the winter, the weather is unpredictable - except that, being November/December it is more likely to be wintery. You will have to carry more gear, so a heavier pack .. are you fit? Do you like walking in bad weather? (Though, with the climate as it is it could be wonderful weather - who knows!).

Can you go on a whim? Of course! Should you go now? I don't know .... do you need to get away now? I don't know. If so, pack the kit and go - or, you could spend the winter at home getting used to the change in your circumstances and planning a spring pilgrimage .... let us know what you decide!!

Thanks for your insight.

My mom had the feeling that I would be walking away from my problems. I don't have the feeling that I'm doing that. I took care of my father the entire day, and now I just need some me-time, some time to look after myself and no one else. Just wake up in the morning, put my backpack on and start walking.

I'm going to start in Léon and I'm leaving here on the 12th, so I start walking on the 13th. And I'm well aware of the climate at the moment.

I look after my mom. Fortunately she is better now than she was a few years ago. So thanks to family and friends I can get away, sometimes on the Camino and sometimes to spend time with friends. The time apart keeps our relationship healthy and positive. During those times the Camino recharges my batteries, keeps me focused and grateful for the chance to return a little of what I have received. So don't worry about what others thing. If you feel the need just go. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for your insight.

My mom had the feeling that I would be walking away from my problems. I don't have the feeling that I'm doing that. I took care of my father the entire day, and now I just need some me-time, some time to look after myself and no one else. Just wake up in the morning, put my backpack on and start walking.

I'm going to start in Léon and I'm leaving here on the 12th, so I start walking on the 13th. And I'm well aware of the climate at the moment.

Do it!! Buen Camino!!

@ezsebeth my sympathies at the loss of your father. Yes, I understand completely your need to go. And Leon - what a beautiful way to start your Camino. It is hard to think of a lovelier, more fitting place than the Cathedral in Leon to mourn, to think, to ponder, and to remember your father. Do be sure to go there. It is, in my view, one of the most beautiful buildings on earth, with stain glass windows that are simply breathtaking. There is an alchemy in that place. It is hard to believe it was erected almost eight hundred years ago, by simple people with simple tools. If you are lucky and the sun is shining, those glorious stain glass windows will speak to you.
Walk in peace.

I'm going to start in Léon
You have two choices leaving La Virgen del Camino, Mazarife or Villadangos. Both are "longish" walks, so if you are not in good shape, they may be difficult. To shorten the walk, take the local bus from downtown Leon to La Virgen. It is the bus that goes to the airport. Get off either when the bus leaves the highway to turn right to the airport, or go to the end of the route, which is the far end of La Virgen after the bus goes by the airport. If you choose the earlier stop, you will beat the bus to the end of La Virgen!

It will save you a long hour of walking.

I prefer Mazarife, but Villadangos has a couple of good restaurants. In Mazarife, I suggest Tio Pepe for lodging and food.

Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ezsebeth, my thoughts & prayers are with you and your family during this time.
I hope that your Camino helps you find yourself within.
Suzanne :)

Falcon269 has given you one of my secrets in dealing with Leon-- head out by the local bus to Virgen del Camino. Take a few minutes in the modern church, then cafe con leche in the cafe opposite, cross the road and walk to Mazarife. For a first day, the countryside is soothing, with the Camino passing through fairly flat countryside. Keep an eye out for the apple and pear orchards as you walk through Fresno. On your second day, you have a choice of continuing on to Hospital de Orbigon, or stopping at Molino Galochas, a quiet and charming casa rural (assuming your budget runs to non-albergue accommodation). Spend some time in the cathedral in Leon, which has some of the best mediaeval glass left in Europe (the 1900s were not a good century for stained glass surviving!) . And, even if you're not RC, stop in churches along the way to take in their quiet-- in 2009 I walked for a few days with a an agnostic businessman from Carolina who lit candles along the way for his late wife. Bereavement is physically and psychologically exhausting, and the space and time provided by the Camino may give you what you need. And if not, you will make some incredible friendships and build some memories. The Camino is tough in its own way, but stick with it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your insight.

I've been thinking about your situation since your first post, and am so glad you are going. I walked in honor of my father (who had always wanted to do it) about 7 years after he passed, recorded his name in some of the guest books along the way, and had his name added to my compostela. All very satisfying. Regarding your mother, do stay in touch with her - to allay the fears of my husband and daughter I tried to text them everyday but they understood I might not have wifi. I also uploaded the days' photos to them via Viber so that they could share my experience too. That worked about 90% of the time. Also, have you thought about having your mother meet you in Santiago for a couple of days, if she is able to? That would give her something special to think about also, and plan for. There is also the bus option to Finisterre and Muxia with her, all depending on time, weather and her abilities. Have a wonderful, peaceful trip, and keep us all posted. Buen camino, Cherry

Absolutely Ezebeth! You won't be walking away from problems, you'll have time to yourself to deal with them. There is nothing like a long walk to clear the mind and give one time to think. All of the previous advice is right-on. Start out slowly and build up, it is not a race. Dress in layers and don't take too much gear, you can always add anything needed as you go. Above all else, live in the moment and take what comes. I can't think of a better tribute to your father.

First of all a thank you for all the people who responded and helped me with their advice.

Secondly, I'm happy to annouce that I'll be leaving for my camino tomorrow morning!
I'm excited and very nervous at the same time. But I'm just going to take things as they come my way and enjoy my camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back