• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I reuse eSIM from 2022

SBevington

Time of past OR future Camino
I used an Orange ESIM in my iPhone 12 when I walked the Camino Frances in 2022. This fall I am returning to Spain from the USA to volunteer as a Hospitalera. Once I arrive in Spain, can I just go to an Orange store, switch my phone to the old Orange eSIM, and top It up?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think it depends on the terms and conditions that of that particular eSIM.
Yes it does. I have just bought an eSIM. It is for a specific amount of data, in a specific country or region (though I guess global esims are available) and has a time limit (in my case 30 days). The more prescribed it is, the cheaper it probably is.

Yes it does. I have just bought an eSIM. It is for a specific amount of data, in a specific country or region (though I guess global esims are available) and has a time limit (in my case 30 days). The more prescribed it is, the cheaper it probably is.
Rereading your question I think you may be actually asking if you can keep the setup, lose the minutes and just go into your account and buy a deal package. Possibly. I am new to esims but now have an account with a provider who I am sure will let me buy products into the future via the ‘setup’ account.

I think that an ESIM can be programmed for a new plan, but the phone number may be recycled a specified time after your plan is not renewed or extended.

Not sure about Orange but Vodafone said the number is reserved for 6 months from the expiration of the plan, at which time the phone number goes back into a pool to be recycled.

In the spring of 2022, I purchased a Vodafone 30 day tourist pack and was able to reuse the SIM and phone number in the fall of 2022 and again in the spring of 2023 because each reuse was within the 6 months of the initial plan expiration date.

Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Generally (there is always some weird exception!!!), accounts are cancelled and numbers get recycled if there is no activity for six months. That activity can be actively using the number or simply topping up the account linked to that number (but not actually activating the plan at the time).

The prior replies have generally covered your question well. I would like to add something to think about if you have any mysterious problems once you get a new SIM/eSIM and a new local phone number.

I purchased a physical SIM in 2019 from Vodafone Spain. I provided my passport and an account was set up for me. Everything worked fine.

I returned in 2023 and purchased another SIM, provided my passport and my account got registered, I tested the data connection, found that it worked, I asked the Vodafone staff member to phone my new local number and my phone rang and so I didn't bother answering because the store was very busy and so I left. I had been impressed with how quickly the seemingly inexperienced Vodafone Spain employee had set up my account for me.

A couple of days later I went to phone someone and I found that the number would ring but as soon as someone picked up the phone at the other end my phone hung up. I tried this a couple of times with exactly the same result every time.

I wondered if the inexperienced Vodafone staff member had made a mistake and so using the data connection (which worked fine) I connected to my account using a web browser. Everything looked fine and so just in case it was some credit issue I put another €5 into my account using my credit card. This made no difference.

I went back to a Vodafone Spain store to get help but it was a different store and the sole staff member didn't speak English and I don't speak enough Spanish to explain my problem and so I used Google translate to try and explain my problem but the staff member wasn't interested in helping me and told me to go back to the store that I had bought the SIM from. This was inconvenient and so I went to a very large Vodafone Spain store off one of the main squares in Madrid where they get a lot of tourists.

This store was very busy and so I took a number from the queuing machine and waited just over an hour to be attended to. The staff member did speak very good English and I explained my unusual problem. They phoned my local number and observed the unusual behaviour but they could not figure out how to fix it.

I asked for a refund and was told that I couldn't get a refund because I had used the data. By this time I was getting somewhat upset and asked to talk to someone who had good technical knowledge rather than the first line customer support on the store counter. Initially they refused because the technical people only worked on problems for people with permanent monthly accounts with Vodafone Spain, not prepay customers like myself.

I persisted and eventually they relented and I got to see a techy guy. He once again verified that I had a problem then set about trying to figure out what was causing it. After about another hour he gave up as well and said that I should use WhatsApp if I wanted to make phone calls as my data connection worked perfectly.

By now I was really sick of the problem and so I accepted his advice and left the store.

About five days later my phone started working and I noticed it when someone phoned me and I was able to take the call.

I never heard from Vodafone Spain about how they fixed the problem but with hindsight and some knowledge of Vodafone's computer systems (I contracted to Vodafone ANZ at one stage in my career) I think that I know what happened.

The first Vodafone employee, the inexperienced one that seemed to set up my account really fast, looked me up in their system and found my account from 2019. This account still had a phone number associated with it even though the SIM card had expired.

The staff member used my 2019 account but forgot to change the phone number in one of the places to the new number associated with the new SIM card. The data connection is associated with the internal ID associated with the SIM card and so that worked fine because I was using the new SIM card but my old phone number was credited with the amount that I paid for the plan and so my new number had no credit associated with it and didn't work.

Typically, this is what happens if you use all your allocated talk minutes and there is no credit balance in your account. The phone will ring but as soon as someone answers it cuts out, no credit.

Meantime the information that is used to provide data for the online version of my account that I had accessed using a web browser was correctly linked to the new number and so it looked like I had a credit balance in my account!

So moral of the story, if you have had an account with the service provider before AND you happen to strike an inexperienced staff member when you go in to purchase a new SIM AND your phone doesn't work but data does then quite possibly someone has made a mistake with not populating your new phone number into all the required places.

Of course, in a perfect world Vodafone's back office computer systems would all be integrated and so they would only need to populate your new number in one place but the reality is that systems have been added over the top of existing systems and so, at Vodafone at least, when your account is renewed with a new SIM and phone number then that new phone number needs to be entered in more than one place and if that isn't done then you may get a very mysterious problem like me.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But I got another orange SIM and number for speech.

However in Italy the data SIM didn't work. I got a Vodafone SIM which didn't have a number, but provided the data to operate my phone, allowing it to make calls as my data SIM.

Confusing but that's how it worked.

I used an Orange ESIM in my iPhone 12 when I walked the Camino Frances in 2022. This fall I am returning to Spain from the USA to volunteer as a Hospitalera. Once I arrive in Spain, can I just go to an Orange store, switch my phone to the old Orange eSIM, and top It up?
No, they expire after six months. You can buy an ESIM on the Orange Travel website though. You can also top up from the web. No need to find an Orange store and then wait in line.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rereading your question I think you may be actually asking if you can keep the setup, lose the minutes and just go into your account and buy a deal package. Possibly. I am new to esims but now have an account with a provider who I am sure will let me buy products into the future via the ‘setup’ account.

I know you can keep topping up esims once you have an account with a company. I was in Spain for over two months and topped my esim a couple of times. You should be able to go into your account to see if yours has expired. However I suspect if you are in their system you will stay there because they will want you to keep using them for subsequent trips.
I just looked at the Airalo website and it’s jumped straight into my account- magic. I have a plan from late 2022 which is still active - I have 3 GB of data waiting for me. 👏👏👏

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.