• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canal de Castillo

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
I finished one day south from Fromista on the Canal de Castille, it is lovely walk but there is only one albergue between Fromista and Palencia, so I would suggest walking north from Fromista where there is more infrastructure support for lodging, etc. From Alar de Rey there is daily train service back to Fromista or you can continue on the Camino to Robes. I ran into Canuck, a fellow Forum member, tonight in Amayuelas de Abajo.24F99033-0960-4EFD-A53F-BCEA907FF41D.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I finished one day south from Fromista on the Canal de Castille, it is lovely walk but there is only one albergue between Fromista and Palencia, so I would suggest walking north from Fromista where there is more infrastructure support for lodging, etc. From Alar de Rey there is daily train service back to Fromista or you can continue on the Camino to Robes. I ran into Canuck, a fellow Forum member, tonight in Amayuelas de Abajo.View attachment 42758
Don, it was a pleasure meeting you.
I had a grand time spending the evening "shooting the breeze" with you and having a couple of "chupitos".
Buen camino.
Jean-Marc

Yes, I wish you well on your path to Potes. It was pleasure meeting up with you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I finished one day south from Fromista on the Canal de Castille, it is lovely walk but there is only one albergue between Fromista and Palencia, so I would suggest walking north from Fromista where there is more infrastructure support for lodging, etc. From Alar de Rey there is daily train service back to Fromista or you can continue on the Camino to Robes. I ran into Canuck, a fellow Forum member, tonight in Amayuelas de Abajo.View attachment 42758

Con todo de vasos de Orujo de hierves. Perfecto!

To complete my report about walking the Canal de Castille here are my observations. The canal system as a heritage site is a work in progress. The museum in Palencia was closed, the electric boat and museum were not available on Sunday in Medina de Rioseco. According to Jean Marc the museum in Villaumbrales was closed, it is also the eastern terminus of the Barco Juan de Homer from Medina. There are no pilgrim type accommodation between Palencia and Amayuelas de Abajo which is about 31.2 km etape. North from Amayuelas to Fromista and beyond there are support facilities and accommodations, this shares the route of the Camino Lebaniego Castellano to Potes. There 10 more manageable etape s of 9 to 26 kms. The canal from Fromista to Alar del Rey has 2 other town, Osorno la Mayor and Herrera de Pisuerga which are linked back to Fromista by rail. There is Interpretation Center in Alar del Rey and a canal tour boat trip originating in Herrera de Pisuerga. Beware of the Canal mosquitoes, their stings last for days.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back