• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Card/Dice Games on the Camino?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino primitivo April 24
Wondering if anyone has ideas about group card or dice games that pilgrims can play along the way. My partner and I play a (non-gambling) dice game that we will bring with us next Camino (it goes by many names, we call it Ten Thousand, but it's commercially sold as Farkle). But what games are there that would be easy to share and teach, especially common Spanish games? I also recently discovered Chinchon, a rummy-like card game that's played in Latin American and, I think, Spain. Anyone familiar with Chincon? Ideas?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've taken Pack-o-Games on camino before. They're micro-games that each come in a box the size of a pack of chewing gum. My faves are Dig, Rum, Orc and Nut (although perhaps Nut was a Kickstarter exclusive because it's not listed on the site).

Last edited:
We play scrabble on the iPad or I phone. we also bring miniature cards and play rummy and bricola. In addition, we play word games orally when we get fatigued or need distracting while walking, For example, we take turns naming animals that begin or end a previous named animal. So if the first word is BEAR then, the following person must name an animal that begins with a B or an R. We change topics. We alsoplay name that tune also.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You could play Spoof (Klunse). All it requires is a number of small sticks (e.g. matches) or coins or pebbles (3 x the number of players). Very easy to teach to others.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 2016 we took a deck of cards on Camino, but I don't think we ever used it. There are a million games you can play with a standard deck. In previous travels where I have interacted with multi-national groups, I've found that Crazy Eights is the lingua franca of the card playing world. I would meet people from all over who said that they didn't know any card games. So I would start to teach them Crazy Eights and inevitably they would say "We have a card game just like this but [insert variations on the special actions of specific cards]".

In 2018 I took a board game called Coin Age. The board is the size of a playing card. The pieces are coins from your pockets. I never ended up playing that easier.

I'm not sure if I would bring a game on future caminos. I did pick up some Camino themed decks of playing cards in Santiago after my 2018 camino, though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I played a fair bit of backgammon in the evenings on my first camino. Not exactly inclusive as it's only a two player game but easy to learn and easy to carry if you get a travel roll similar to this , I'm sure you can get lighter and cheaper versions.

I played a fair bit of backgammon in the evenings on my first camino. Not exactly inclusive as it's only a two player game but easy to learn and easy to carry if you get a travel roll similar to this , I'm sure you can get lighter and cheaper versions.
I have an Android app for Backgammon - play the machine or play an opponent. Different skill levels and the algorithm is a bit flaky when the machine bears off but it's OK (AI Factory)

I also learned to play MANCALA a fascinating game from Africa/the Middle East played by moving pebbles round a board made up of little cups (you can get this as an app too) but best of all I was introduced to a dice game called CUBILETE by some pilgrims from Cuba. It's played with poker dice - they played for money, when they played with me it got changed to pistachio nuts. I never had any left to eat any at the end of the session! ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.