• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa Fernanda

Pen and Pencil

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Kumano Kodo
Caminho Portugues
This is the first time I have used this forum so hopefully I am doing it correctly. We would like to make a booking for Casa Fernanda on 25 April 2019 but am having trouble making contact. Albertinho, I have tried contacting you but nothing works. I believe you can book us in to Casa Fernanda. I tried telephoning but the lady who answered the phone did not speak English.
I think I am relying on you to help us (a couple in our 70's) make the booking.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,
are you sure you have the correct phone number..... +351 914 589 521
Fernanda speaks good english!

I think it is far too early to make a reservation, too many things could happen before your planned journey. I would try again at the beginning of April 2019. And if you speak to a person, who does not speak English: take in mind, that Fernanda hast to do some shopping to feed all the pilgrims who visit her place. So you may have talked to a volunteer helping in her albergue. So try again later.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is the first time I have used this forum so hopefully I am doing it correctly. We would like to make a booking for Casa Fernanda on 25 April 2019 but am having trouble making contact. Albertinho, I have tried contacting you but nothing works. I believe you can book us in to Casa Fernanda. I tried telephoning but the lady who answered the phone did not speak English.
I am not familiar with the Casa Fernando but I do know April 25 is a major public holiday in Portugal with many festivals it may not be the best day to start.

I sent you better contact information via a Private Conversation...

Fernanda speaks very good English, but her mother, who lives there too does not speak English, IIRC.

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Staying at Fernando’s is a great experience and not to be missed. She speaks excellent English and is overwhelmingly hospitable. You will feel spoiled by her. But she only has 12 beds so it’s certainly wise to book. Arrive early so you have plenty of time to enjoy being there. Keep ringing you will get onto her eventually.

I, too, contacted Fernanda by phone with no difficulty when I reserved there. As others have said, her English is excellent. It's well worth staying there and as she has a limited number of beds, I’d keep trying so as to get a reservation. We were lucky enough to stay in her one private room. You might ask about its availability when you get ahold of her. Bom Caminho!

What they all said. Staying with Fernanda was one of the highlights of my Caminho. Also, could be she's off or a few weeks since this is the off season for pilgrims. Try again in a month or two - I booked one or two days in advance with her in September, w/o problem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Book ahead by all means but 4 months in advance is a bit far.
It's the Portugues end of april we booked just a few days before last September So as suggested beginning of april should be fine amd if you're relaxed chilled out and don't fuss or hassle Fernanda maybe she'll put you in the only double room!!!
Bom camino

After staying here, where is the next place you have stayed? -Rubiaes seem like a long haul and Ponte de LIma a rather short day.

After staying here, where is the next place you have stayed? -Rubiaes seem like a long haul and Ponte de LIma a rather short day.
I went to Ponte de Lima. It was a short day but I was not in a hurry and Ponte de Lima was a nice town to explore. We had some time to do so as the albergue didn't open until at least 4:00.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I went to Ponte de Lima. It was a short day but I was not in a hurry and Ponte de Lima was a nice town to explore. We had some time to do so as the albergue didn't open until at least 4:00.
Yep I agree with Dave Ponte de Lima is a short walk but a very nice to explore. We were there for The Feiras Novas which happens during the 2nd weekend in September! The town was "jumping "

I went to Rubaies, which was a long day, and now that I remember it, I had to leave before breakfast to get the distance in. Fernanda was so kind she set up a mini breakfast for me the night before in the outdoor patio kitchen - an automatic coffee maker, and bread and cheese in a plastic container. She's a truly amazing person!!
By the way, the place is named after her - a few posters in this thread have called it / her Fernando - it's Fernanda!

I am not familiar with the Casa Fernando but I do know April 25 is a major public holiday in Portugal with many festivals it may not be the best day to start.

Yes, 25 April is Dia de Liberdade, commemorating the end of the Fascist Salazar regime in 1974. Salazar himself had died but his henchman had taken over. The army took over the government without firing any shots; the classic photo was taken of a young girl putting a red carnation in the barrel of a soldier's gun, so it's called the carnation revolution. I would certainly try to have a bed arranged. Casa Fernanda is not in a city so that might be a consideration. Do you want to see/take part in a festival, or probably be well out of it. Casa Fernanda is a great place; her dinner and breakfast for all the guests is lovely.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Does anyone know if Casa da Fernanda is open today? I'm heading that way right now but my phone calls keep going to voicemail!

EDIT: Got through to her a little while ago, she sounds delightful and I'm looking forward to staying there later :)

Last edited:
This year will be my 12th Camino and I have never made reservations and I am 74 years old. I relieve on the term throw your caution to the wind. I have never been without a place to stay the night. There is always an option in case the Albergue is full. That is my personal feeling, oh and by the way, I do not carry a cell phone. buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back