• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CDG to Gare Montparnasse

FrPeter

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, PR - 2016; CF 2018; CP 2019; VDLP (to Caceres) 2019
Hello pilgrims!

I am arriving in CDG, terminal 3, on Sunday 27th and heading to Gare Montparnasse to catch the train to Lourdes before starting Camino del Norte beginning on 30th.
What is my chance of catching the train at 2:38 pm as my flight is scheduled to arrived at 12:10pm.
I didn't mean to cut it so close, but Air Transat changed flight schedule after everything was booked...
I am checking my pack because of hiking poles and swiss army knife.

I have ticket for Le Bus direct, but RER B could be an option too, if it will give me better chance. Just have no idea how much time it will take to go through everything at the airport.

Also the hotel that I booked in Lourdes has check in time ending at 8:30pm... even if I catch the train at 2:38pm, I won't be able to make that. I never seen this before... check-in time ending... does this mean I can't check in after 8:30 pm?

Any help and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God Bless

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello pilgrims!

I am arriving in CDG, terminal 3, on Sunday 27th and heading to Gare Montparnasse

What is my chance of catching the train at 2:38 pm as my flight is scheduled to arrived at 12:10pm.

I would allow one hour minimum to get off plane, collect baggage (or not) and through customs.

RER from CDG to St Michel and Metro to Bienvenue Montparnasse usually takes an hour plus 10 minutes to walk to TGV platform.

I've used up 2 hours and ten minutes of your time and its 1420. (THIS IS THE POINT WHERE YOU CHECK YOUR TICKET ONLY TO FIND YOUR TRAIN LEAVES AT 1428 AND NOT 1438) Don't forget you need to board the train before it starts moving. I didn't add in any time to allow for late arrival of plane or bathroom stop after you get off plane or time to get from passport check to the RER or wait time for the RER.

You might make it but I doubt it. If your plane is a few minutes late or even if you have a seat in the back of the plane ... forget it ... you'll need plan B.

Le Bus Direct allows 1:15 to make its trip from CDG to Montparnasse even if anecdotally its usually faster. They want you at the stop 10 minutes before it leaves. 1256 for 1306 (assuming CDG 2A) is the last bus that will reliably get you there by 1430. Its only going to work if the passport control is fast.

If I was you ... remake plans for 3 hours before you are clear of airport. So what if that results in 2 hours of sitting around waiting somewhere ... better that than rushing to miss your bus by two minutes.

For instance there is 1621 SNCF TGV from CDG 2 to Lourdes arriving 2327.

You might want to check with your hotel at Lourdes. Usually Hotels will hold a room to a certain time and then won't guarantee a reservation. That might be what the 2030 hold time means. Usually that means you have to inform the hotel specifically that you plan to arrive later.

Did you know Lourdes has an airport?

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, find your schedule too tight. And too stressful, in the best case.
Yes, as @whariwharangi proposes, check flights to Tarbes/Lourdes airport. Just remember that there are two airports in Paris.
Another option: move your hotel reservation one day.
Take the sleeper, nightly train, in Austerlitz station. You will have time enough for enjoying the afternoon in Paris, visit the Jardin des Plantes (immediate to the station), see the glorious sunset over the Seine, dine in the Quartier Latin, sleep comfortably, and arrive early in the morning at Lourdes. For practical effects, it would be almost the same that if you were arrived the previous midnight. All pieces fit together nicely, with a plus and almost zero stress.
Just an idea.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for the suggestions. All this stress because airline changed their flight schedule. Well hopefully with the strong easterly wind it will arrive earlier than scheduled.
As the hotel goes, it is prepaid and cannot be changed, so just in case I will have to check for later train as @whariwharangi suggested. I think there is one leaving Paris after 5pm which means I can just walk around the area for couple of hours...warm up for the camino.. haha..

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back