• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CDN walking the Camino Oct 15 - Nov 15 2007

csnyder

Hi My name is Clarissa and I currently live in Calgary Alberta Canada (CDN). I finally have time to walk the Camino although I have to be back in CDN Nov 18. I think what stresses me the most is trying to find my way to St Jean Pied de Port. I plan to buy the tickets this week. My travel agent can get me to Toulouse via Toronto and Frankfort by 18:15 on Oct 16 which likely means I have to spend the night here? Are accomadations easily to find/cheap in Toulouse? Then take a train?

Since I have only a month should I start in Roncesvalles instead?

P.S. I have never been to Europe

Looking forward to this journey for the last 10 years.

Take care
Clarissa

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Clarissa;

You have picked a great time to walk the camino. My first camino was 6 years ago and I started in Roncesvalles because I had exhausted myself getting to that point and did not have the wherewithall at the time to get over the mountain to St Jean P de P. My route was from Toronto to London, then to Madrid and then to Pamplona by aircraft; then by bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles where I obtained my passport (along with the rest of the bus; mostly Spanish perigrinoes) and then obtained a bed in the monastery - the first real sleep in maybe 42 hours.

Even though I did not start at St Jean, and sometimes regret that I did not, I do not regret the fact that I missed a climb and descent that might have dissuaded me from continuing. By the time I reached Zubiri that first day, I was beat, but I had made a start and had met up with some marvellous fellow pilgrims, some of which I have kept in contact with even now.

I know that wherever you choose to start your walk will be the right place for you and I wish you all best wishes for a camino that will be as fulfilling as mine was. Buen Camino.

John Stout

Hi Clarissa;

It's John again - should have mentioned that, in that you only have a month, it may be advisable that you do start in Roncesvalles, or perhaps even Pamplona, in order that you have sufficient time to complete the camino. Also, I have discovered that you can fly to Bilbao (via Lufthansa - a partner to Air Canada if you are using them) via Munich and simply take a bus thence to Pamplona. This is the route that I intend to take later this fall (October 16). If you enter Spain through Madrid, try to book any flights to other towns/cities through the internet - they are much cheaper when done this way.

Buen Camino...... John Stout

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
HI john
Thanks for the reply. I think I will start in Roncesvalles due to time and $$ and jetlag. I grew up in the rocky mountains so I know what challenges I will be missing :( .

Take care
Clarissa

Actually, Clarissa, if you grew up in the Rockies you won't be missing too many challenges in not crossing from St-Jean on your first day. It's an ascent of a little over a thousand metres to a maximum altitude of less than 1500m, a big deal if you grew up in flat southern Ontario (I love to tell people I "crossed the Pyrenees"), but no more than a pleasant day's hike for you, I'm guessing.
It is stirring and symbolic and all to start in France, but if you're short of time, go from Roncesvalles. You might be happier in the end to have the extra day to spend in Santiago or to forge on to Finisterre.

Hi Clarrisa:

I am a fellow Canadian (west coast) and will be walking my second camino this year starting Oct 17th from Pamplona. My first was in May-June 07 and I started in SJPP. Since I am arrving in Madrid via Vancouver, then flying to Pamplona, it just seemed to make more sense to start my Camino there.

Hope to meet you on the trail!

Buen Camino! :arrow:

Lora

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Lora

I just purchased my plane ticket Calgary- London- Barcelona-Pamplona should arrive 9:30pm Oct 15 (24hrs of traveling). I was thinking I should head to Roncesvalles the next day depending upon how I feel (I have trouble with jet leg flying Calgary to Toronto and that is only a 2 hour difference). I hate "traveling" backwards only to know I have to pass this way again. I guess I will just let "fate" decide where I will start. I have to fly out of Santiago on November 17 so if I am "walking" too slow I will just have to make up the time somehow along the trail. Lora I will be thinking of you on the 17th so if I am in Pamplona then I'm sure our paths will cross :)

Take care
Clarissa

Clarrisa;

There is a homeopathic remedy called "jetlag" which works wonders. I travel to Europe quite often, and always use it. It is available in any health food store.

Also, you may find that you are so exicted about the Camino, that your normal jetlag is much less.

Have a safe journey,
Lora

Hi Clarissa,
I was going to suggest that you should be able to get from Toulouse to Bayonne and then there is a regular train to St. JP PdeP, then cross to Roncesvalles, but the help you have already been given seems to knock that out. I would say ,however, that the route over the Pyrenees is a treat if you get clear weather.
Meanwhile, welcome to the forum and I hope you have a wonderful pilgrimage.
ps. I have a cousin who is almost your neighbour in Canmore - staying there for about 6 months.

Buen Camino,
Brendan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Brendan
I was going to go that way ie Toulouse but it seemed I would of had to stay over night in a couple of different places inorder to match planes and trains. I was afraid this would cost $$ and take a few days. But I am happy to land in Pamplona and +- back track to Roncesvalles. In 2010 I hope to take my sister and nephew and possibley any children I may have ? :) to Spain and start in SJPDP.

I love Canmore- I am in an Adventure race in Canmore the day before I leave for Spain. This way I will get the "mountains" out of my system before I start the Camino and hopefully not feel "bad" for not starting in SJPDP :)

I'm sure your cousin has met loads of people in Canmore but if he/she is there around Xmas I also go snowshoeing/backcoutry skiing to an Alpine Hut (only 12km "up") around Lake Lousie. Your cousin and friends are welcome to join - The Elizabeth Parker Hut sleeps at least 20 in Winter and most time you get the hut to yourself - its truely heaven :)

Take care
Clarissa

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back