• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help suggest a route for a Camino Newbie - 18 Oct -20 Nov

Pilgrim89

Time of past OR future Camino
November 2022
I've found a great flight deal from my home in South Carolina to Madrid from 18Oct-20Nov and would like to get at least 2 weeks of Camino walking in.

What route would you all recommended for building community, and best chances of pleasant weather at this time? I'm in good shape (hike and mountain bike regularly) , but don't think I want to attempt to squeeze the whole CF route in a 28-30 day period for my first Camino.

Thanks in advance for any perspective you can offer!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Unless you’re in it for the credentials in Santiago, I would avoid the Sarria to Santiago section. It tends to be crowded and more touristy. I prefer the prettier and more authentic sections. Starting in Roncesvalles is nice as it is the beginning for many pilgrims (especially in the winter). That said, Galicia is lovely and mountainous. It depends on why you are walking and what you are looking for……

Hi Mito,

My two brothers & I did the Portuguese Camino in June 2022. All of us were newbies to the Camino. All of us loved it. We walked from Porto to Santiago in 12 days. We took the Senda Litoral route to the Coastal Route. The only thing I'd do different next time would be to take the Spiritual Way at Ponteverda. Here's a nice video of the route:

Best wishes, Sean.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Mito,

My two brothers & I did the Portuguese Camino in June 2022. All of us were newbies to the Camino. All of us loved it. We walked from Porto to Santiago in 12 days. We took the Senda Litoral route to the Coastal Route. The only thing I'd do different next time would be to take the Spiritual Way at Ponteverda. Here's a nice video of the route:

Best wishes, Sean.
Thanks for showing us your wonderful video Sean, I really enjoyed watching it. I did the CF in May/June this year and am now desperate to get back out there in 2023. I’m thinking of doing the Camino Portuguese, but not yet sure if to start in Lisbon or Porto. Can I ask your reasons why you would take the Spiritual Way at Ponteverda next time (just interested)?
All the best Wendy (snowflake)

Thanks for showing us your wonderful video Sean, I really enjoyed watching it. I did the CF in May/June this year and am now desperate to get back out there in 2023. I’m thinking of doing the Camino Portuguese, but not yet sure if to start in Lisbon or Porto. Can I ask your reasons why you would take the Spiritual Way at Ponteverda next time (just interested)?
All the best Wendy (snowflake)
Hi Wendy (snowflake),
I wish I would have shot that video... it was done by David Wen in April 2022. After watching David's video, the Spiritual Way looks much more inspirational than continuing on the Central Route as we had done in June. I'm hoping to do CF next time... just not sure when.
Best regards, Sean.

Hi Wendy (snowflake),
I wish I would have shot that video... it was done by David Wen in April 2022. After watching David's video, the Spiritual Way looks much more inspirational than continuing on the Central Route as we had done in June. I'm hoping to do CF next time... just not sure when.
Best regards, Sean.
Hi Sean, ah ok, sorry I thought it was your video 🤦‍♀️😂. It looks a beautiful route for sure. I can’t wait to do it now.
You will love the CF, I so want to do it again one day.
Take care and Buen Camino. Wendy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've found a great flight deal from my home in South Carolina to Madrid from 18Oct-20Nov and would like to get at least 2 weeks of Camino walking in.

What route would you all recommended for building community, and best chances of pleasant weather at this time? I'm in good shape (hike and mountain bike regularly) , but don't think I want to attempt to squeeze the whole CF route in a 28-30 day period for my first Camino.

Thanks in advance for any perspective you can offer!
Leon to Santiago

Building community? Meeting new people with an open attitude, as albergues begin to close for the season?

I agree with walkinglover. Léon to Santiago, unless you don't need to get to the destination in this first go.

Regarding the Camino, I would recommend some of the latter segments taking you into Santiago. I would not skip Santiago. The feeling of walking into Santiago and seeing that Cathedral is one of the best moments. Sarria to Santiago gets a bad rap from many. It IS busier, but that just means more people to meet, more possibilities for places to stay and eat, and more access to infrastructure. Not a bad thing if it is your first Camino and the weather is turning, which it will be by then. If you want to do a single segment, Ponferrada to Santiago has great and varied landscape and can be done easily inside of two weeks.

Now since you are flying into Madrid, don't miss the opportunity to take in some of the best sights there and in nearby Toledo. Toledo will really get you in the mood for camino. Visit the Prado and get familiar with the painter El Greco. I'm not sure about train travel from Madrid to Ponferrada, but budget airline flights are super cheap.

Hope you have a blast!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Mito,

Best wishes, Sean.
On Sunday, I'll start the CP from Porto.

It will be my third, and definitely shortest, Camino. I think I'm going to walk the Central the whole way, depending on how I feel - if I feel good, I may do the Spiritual.

I like your suggestion that it took you guys 12 days, that's about what I'm expecting, but I'm in no hurry as long as the weather holds up.

Keeping it humble . . .

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back