• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino weather oct/nov

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
jerry lordan,

October/November is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Do be aware however that many albergues started to close mid October during earlier, easier years however there was always some place open .

On the CF by mid November it will be cold. On the Meseta the wind can be fierce blowing directly into your face. Hale and snow might occur. Late November 2012 at O Cebreiro the snow was a meter deep. Be prepared.

Check out this earlier forum topic for earlier posts with helpful info re
walking in October- November.

Whenever/wherever you do go
Carpe diem and Buen Camino!

jerry lordan,

October/November is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Do be aware however that many albergues started to close mid October during earlier, easier years however there was always some place open .

On the CF by mid November it will be cold. On the Meseta the wind can be fierce blowing directly into your face. Hale and snow might occur. Late November 2012 at O Cebreiro the snow was a meter deep. Be prepared.

Check out this earlier forum topic for earlier posts with helpful info re
walking in October- November.

Whenever/wherever you do go
Carpe diem and Buen Camino!
Hi thanks for the reply sounds like a bit of everything weather wise really looking forward to starting just over a week to go.
Thanks Jerry

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi thanks for the reply sounds like a bit of everything weather wise really looking forward to starting just over a week to go.
Thanks Jerry
I walked last year at around this time. There were some beautiful days, particularly early on. As you might expect, the cooler weather and an increasing amount of rain are likely as you make your way west. Make sure you have layers, because it might be 5C in the morning, and 20C later in the day. Nobody knows what the weather will be in Galicia a month from now, but expect to get wet. If it's a good year, you might only see rain a brief time or two. In a bad year, it can settle in for days on end. It won't matter either way, your experience is much more than the weather. With decent rain gear, you will be fine.

Just returned from Primitivo, started from Oviedo, heavy rain on and off this first full week! Pretty miserable to be honest! Got sick of trying to dry stuff everyday! Crossed into Galicia and it was total opposite!
Beautiful warm and sunny, most days mid 22c, wet gear was never worn again! Definitely colder at night/mornings!
Was raining last 2 nights, before I left Santiago!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We started the Primativio in mid-October 2019 and sadly had to abandon it after about 5 days due to constant heavy rain. It was miserable! Had blisters from constant wet feet.( We had been walking for 2 weeks prior on another section and our feet were great!) The weather forecast predicted further heavy rain so we bailed and headed to Porto to do the Portuguese coastal route....where we also encountered heavy rain when we got into Galacia. 😂 You need layers, gloves, beanies waterproof jacket, a poncho and a good sense of humour!

We had walked previously a few years earlier finishing NOV 1 and we encountered a few cold wet days as well when we hit good old Galacia.

Our problem on the Portuguese was finding accommodation that was open. We seemed to be the last guests before they were closing for the year not sure what the main drag would be like.

Shorter days also mean getting the washing done and dried a bit harder.

Though despite all this I would do it again in a heartbeat...Ok maybe not the bit of torrential rain and mud of the Primativia;) I would have holed up somewhere until it passed.

Buen Camino!

We started the Primativio in mid-October 2019 and sadly had to abandon it after about 5 days due to constant heavy rain. It was miserable! Had blisters from constant wet feet.( We had been walking for 2 weeks prior on another section and our feet were great!) The weather forecast predicted further heavy rain so we bailed and headed to Porto to do the Portuguese coastal route....where we also encountered heavy rain when we got into Galacia. 😂 You need layers, gloves, beanies waterproof jacket, a poncho and a good sense of humour!

We had walked previously a few years earlier finishing NOV 1 and we encountered a few cold wet days as well when we hit good old Galacia.

Our problem on the Portuguese was finding accommodation that was open. We seemed to be the last guests before they were closing for the year not sure what the main drag would be like.

Shorter days also mean getting the washing done and dried a bit harder.

Though despite all this I would do it again in a heartbeat...Ok maybe not the bit of torrential rain and mud of the Primativia;) I would have holed up somewhere until it passed.

Buen Camino!
Funnily enough, I didn’t get any blisters this time! I took both micropore tape, Vaseline and nylon sock liners! Ending up using just the tape and the sock liners!
I don’t think I’d walk any later than October for the same reasons you mentioned!
I already noticed a lot of the albergues I stayed at were mostly empty! Some had only 4-5 people!

I walked the Portuguese central route in Aug/Sept 2017, perfect weather until I got to the coast, rain and heavy fog at Finisterre, couldn’t see a thing!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.