• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF Bus Station Grumble

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
Just completed my short October 2023 Camino Frances experience. Spectacular experience, as usual, but unlike any of my previous walks.... Because a twice-broken back since my Spring 2022 walk meant that I traveled mostly by bus. My cross-country days are behind me.

Now, bus travel in Spain is really quite wonderful. The buses that track the CF are clean, cheap, almost always available and almost always on time! That said, let me unburden myself on some of the bus stations I passed through in October 2023.

The comfy old bus stop/station at Madrid Barajas Airport Terminal 4 has --- well, ---- vanished! Replaced by a brand new one! I found the new one hard to reach, and a long way from my Terminal 4 arrival point. Sterile, modern, forgettable, no convenient coffee cafe --- I was very disappointed. Ditto the cozy old bus station in Logrono. Vanished! As in Madrid, its replacement is sterile, modern, forgettable. Much farther away from the casco viejo. I'm sure that the good folks of Logrono appreciate it, but it's a setback for transiting peregrinos. for sure.

The quiet, cozy old Leon bus station was completely shut down when I arrived, and fenced off, undergoing some sort of total renovation. Couldn't even enter the building! Heaven knows where one might buy tickets from a ticket counter.... I'm sure that when it reopens it will also be all modern steel-and-glass, and quite soulless. What a shame! And I could say exactly the same about the bus station at Ponferrada. Totally shut down, being rebuilt. The station I remember so well from trips past is simply gone.

If all that seems petty, well, so be it. I'm an aging old-fashioned clergyman. My motto is "Change is bad!"

Pax

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just completed my short October 2023 Camino Frances experience. Spectacular experience, as usual, but unlike any of my previous walks.... Because a twice-broken back since my Spring 2022 walk meant that I traveled mostly by bus. My cross-country days are behind me.

Now, bus travel in Spain is really quite wonderful. The buses that track the CF are clean, cheap, almost always available and almost always on time! That said, let me unburden myself on some of the bus stations I passed through in October 2023.

The comfy old bus station at Madrid Barajas Airport Terminal 4 was --- well, ---- vanished! Replaced by a brand new one! I found the new one hard to reach, and a long way from my Terminal 4 arrival point. Sterile, modern, forgettable, no convenient coffee cafe --- I was very disappointed. Ditto the cozy old bus station in Logrono. Vanished! As in Madrid, its replacement is sterile, modern, forgettable. Much farther away from the casco viejo. I'm sure that the good folks of Logrono appreciate it, but it's a setback for transiting peregrinos. for sure.

The quiet, cozy old Leon bus station was completely shut down when I arrived, and fenced off, undergoing some sort of total renovation. Couldn't even enter the building! Heaven knows where one might buy tickets from a ticket counter.... I'm sure that when it reopens it will also be all modern steel-and-glass, and quite soulless. What a shame! And I could say exactly the same about the bus station at Ponferrada. Totally shut down, being rebuilt. The station I remember so well from trips past is simply gone.

If all that seems petty, well, so be it. I'm an aging old-fashioned clergyman. My motto is "Change is bad!"

Pax
I can’t say I find bus stations anywhere in the world particularly welcoming albeit with the odd exception!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I do think many facilities are trying to transition to a joint train and bus station. Frankly the public toilets are much better now in Santiago and Logroño. Hope its true for others as well.

Last edited:
After my Portuguese camino last year I made my way to the Santiago bus station.....to find a big hole in the ground! Seems they had built a brand new one behind the railway station and not told me!
Found the new station in Santiago this year totally modern, great experience but a little difficult to navigate.

Spain has really invested heavily in their infrastructure all credit and a big Maith sibh to them.

Always remembered how bad the stations were in Burgos 2013 as I waited for my bus to Bayonne which did not turn up till 01.30 hrs and the smell of Urine in Santiago's old station is not missed, so all credit and a big Viva 🇪🇸.

Last edited:
The comfy old bus station at Madrid Barajas Airport Terminal 4 was --- well, ---- vanished! Replaced by a brand new one! I found the new one hard to reach, and a long way from my Terminal 4 arrival point.
Where do the buses depart from now???? The old T4 bus stop was so convenient for overseas pilgrims going to their starting cities, I'm curious to see what changed!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

The comfy old bus station at Madrid Barajas Airport Terminal 4 was --- well, ---- vanished! Replaced by a brand new one! I found the new one hard to reach, and a long way from my Terminal 4 arrival point. Sterile, modern, forgettable, no convenient coffee cafe --- I was very disappointed. Ditto the cozy old bus station in Logrono. Vanished! As in Madrid, its replacement is sterile, modern, forgettable. Much farther away from the casco viejo. I'm sure that the good folks of Logrono appreciate it, but it's a setback for transiting peregrinos. for sure.

Pax
You can't swim in the same river twice Jeffrey.

I always disliked using the dirty, dark, smelly old Santiago bus station when taking it to get to the Lavacolla airport going home. The bathrooms were filthy and no toilet paper that I recall.
This past spring I was delighted to see the new bus station connected to the train station with its large glass windows, clean bathrooms with TP, and while waiting, the experience lifted my spirits, although this time I took the train to Madrid. I think I prefer newer and soulless.

Where do the buses depart from now???? The old T4 bus stop was so convenient for overseas pilgrims going to their starting cities, I'm curious to see what changed!
This may be more information than you want, but there’s a video that records a walk from the new bus station to T4.

From the comments it seems like the intra-airport bus does not make a stop there. If that’s the case, people arriving in T2 and T3 will have to take the bus to T4 and then walk 10 minutes to the new bus station. Those who arrive in T4 will only have to make the walk that this video records, though in reverse.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This may be more information than you want, but there’s a video that records a walk from the new bus station to T4.

From the comments it seems like the intra-airport bus does not make a stop there. If that’s the case, people arriving in T2 and T3 will have to take the bus to T4 and then walk 10 minutes to the new bus station. Those who arrive in T4 will only have to make the walk that this video records, though in reverse.
Do pilgrims starting Camino Madrid count this as a stage ? and will they receive a stamp for it,? is there an Albergue in the bus station.?
Ridiculous decision. 😖

I always disliked using the dirty, dark, smelly old Santiago bus station when taking it to get to the Lavacolla airport going home. The bathrooms were filthy and no toilet paper that I recall.
This past spring I was delighted to see the new bus station connected to the train station with its large glass windows, clean bathrooms with TP, and while waiting, the experience lifted my spirits, although this time I took the train to Madrid. I think I prefer newer and soulless.
I realize it was cruddy, but that’s why I loved it 😂😂😂

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do we have to walk all the way to the bus station for the cheap airport bus to the city or can we still catch it outside the door at T4?

The comfy old bus stop/station at Madrid Barajas Airport Terminal 4 was --- well, ---- vanished! Replaced by a brand new one! I found the new one hard to reach, and a long way from my Terminal 4 arrival point. Sterile, modern, forgettable, no convenient coffee cafe --- I was very disappointed. Ditto the cozy old bus station in Logrono. Vanished! As in Madrid, its replacement is sterile, modern, forgettable. Much farther away from the casco viejo. I'm sure that the good folks of Logrono appreciate it, but it's a setback for transiting peregrinos. for sure.

Pax
I am just reading the thread for the first time. Your final sentence gives me a sharp pain. I hope time has softened the pain for you! Much more important, at least you had the happy experience of making your pilgrim way to Santiago. You know well, there are no eternal rules, no absolutes! Your heart is your best guide, your gps that needs no batteries! Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
At least it seems to be well signposted and there are escalator and rolling ramps.

Looks like the first yellow arrows I`ll follow in my next camino are the ones poiting to Bus Terminal :p

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back