• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

choices from León: Francés/Finisterre or Salvador/Primitivo

MichaelC

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
From reading the forums it looks like it will take approximately 18 days (moderate pace, with rest days) for the following:

1. León > Santiago > Múxia
2. León > Ovieda > Lugo > Santiago

If you had the choice, and assuming you've already been walking for a couple weeks, which would you choose?

This is purely a hypothetical question. I'm planning on starting from Le Puy in May 2016, and have absolutely no idea what kind of mental or physical space I will be in by the time I reach León sometime in early July. I'll decide when I'm there (if I even have the time or energy) - but that won't stop me from dreaming of the different options now!

For me the pros and cons seem to be:

Francés/Finisterre: It's the classic route for a first camino. Perhaps more energy and excitement on the trail. Lots of resources en route. The final leg to the sea sounds like a peaceful way to end a camino & have time to reflect. Can time it to be in Santiago a few days before the Feast of St. James.

But: It's peak season. The reports of bed racing give me pause. I wonder if it would be harder to feel a bond of camaraderie on a crowded camino.

Salvador/Primitivo: It looks so incredibly beautiful. More wild nature and open spaces. Oviedo and Lugo both sound like great places for rest days. Less crowded than the Francés.

But: There are longer stages, and fewer villages. It would require more planning. And maybe there are more people on the Primitivo now, making it a challenge to find a bed?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From reading the forums it looks like it will take approximately 18 days (moderate pace, with rest days) for the following:

1. León > Santiago > Múxia
2. León > Ovieda > Lugo > Santiago

If you had the choice, and assuming you've already been walking for a couple weeks, which would you choose?

This is purely a hypothetical question. I'm planning on starting from Le Puy in May 2016, and have absolutely no idea what kind of mental or physical space I will be in by the time I reach León sometime in early July. I'll decide when I'm there (if I even have the time or energy) - but that won't stop me from dreaming of the different options now!

For me the pros and cons seem to be:

Francés/Finisterre: It's the classic route for a first camino. Perhaps more energy and excitement on the trail. Lots of resources en route. The final leg to the sea sounds like a peaceful way to end a camino & have time to reflect. Can time it to be in Santiago a few days before the Feast of St. James.

But: It's peak season. The reports of bed racing give me pause. I wonder if it would be harder to feel a bond of camaraderie on a crowded camino.

Salvador/Primitivo: It looks so incredibly beautiful. More wild nature and open spaces. Oviedo and Lugo both sound like great places for rest days. Less crowded than the Francés.

But: There are longer stages, and fewer villages. It would require more planning. And maybe there are more people on the Primitivo now, making it a challenge to find a bed?

Hands down number two. The Salvador and Primitivo are two beautiful Camino's.

Make sure you get the Salvador passport in the Leon Albergue.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.