Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Choices

mdwcolo

Year of past OR future Camino
March 25
I did the last 100 km of the Camino Frances with my son a couple of years ago. Now I’m taking my daughter this summer. Should I try something different? I wish I could do more but alas it will have to wait til retirement? Should I do the last 100 km of the Frances again? Or something different with my daughter?

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
I did the last 100 km of the Camino Frances with my son a couple of years ago. Now I’m taking my daughter this summer. Should I try something different? I wish I could do more but alas it will have to wait til retirement? Should I do the last 100 km of the Frances again? Or something different with my daughter?
If you still wish to do a 100km route, Tui to Santiago on the Camino Portugues is really nice! You could also opt for Vigo to Santiago.

Are you wanting a longer walk?

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
You might enjoy the Portuguese Camino from Tui. Or the Camino Inglés, which would be a "complete Camino. Maybe you should have your daughter research the different options and choose? That would get her more involved from the beginning.

CF14
LePuy/CF(21?)
Aussie Camino15
WHW15
CP16
CdelN Fin/Muxia18
GGW StCuthWay HadrWall CotswoldWay19
You might enjoy the Portuguese Camino from Tui. Or the Camino Inglés, which would be a "complete Camino. Maybe you should have your daughter research the different options and choose? That would get her more involved from the beginning.
Think this is a very good idea, Trecile.
Buen Camino mdwcolo and daughter.

jcat

For my first Camino I did the last 100k of the Frances. I then returned 3 years later for the Camino Ingles and both have their high points.
I would suggest the Ingles, just so that you can see something different this time and each of your children will have a unique Camino experience.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

David

Veteran Member
The 'problem' that can happen doing the same but with another person is that one can get into telling them what happens next, which takes all the surprises out of the journey for them - very hard not to do it! So instead of a mutual discovery Camino it falls into guide and guided.

Do you want/need to finish in Santiago? If not the section between Burgos and Leon is rather wonderful.

Alternatively you could start St Jean or Pamplona and finish at Logrono or Estella ... if it goes really well and leaves a hunger then over the years you (they) can do more sections and in some years ahead will arrive Santiago again.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
The 'problem' that can happen doing the same but with another person is that one can get into telling them what happens next, which takes all the surprises out of the journey for them - very hard not to do it! So instead of a mutual discovery Camino it falls into guide and guided.
This happened to me exactly on my second Camino Frances when I took my other son along. It was still enjoyable for him, but occasionally he would say to not tell him ahead of time when we were due to arrive at a special landscape feature, village, etc for the very reason you mention. Very perceptive, David; possibly it has happened to you.

shefollowsshells

Several alone and with children
Portuguese!!!!
We did the spiritual route and you’ll walk through area where she’ll be convinced fairies are watching you behind mushrooms!!!!
You won’t regret it!!!

David

Veteran Member
This happened to me exactly on my second Camino Frances when I took my other son along. It was still enjoyable for him, but occasionally he would say to not tell him ahead of time when we were due to arrive at a special landscape feature, village, etc for the very reason you mention. Very perceptive, David; possibly it has happened to you.

Thanks, no, never happened to me but I did hear of someone who did inflict it, with the best of intentions I think, on their siblings and it all went a bit horrid.

Last edited:
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Thanks, no, never happened to me but I did hear of someone who did inflict it, with the best of intentions I think, on their siblings and it all went terribly terribly horrid.
My experience wasn't horrid, but I did try to "curb my enthusiasm" a bit eventually. 😅

JOSEPH SITKO

One foot in front of the other
Camino Verde .
Did a modified Camino Primativo from Lugo to Santiago via the Camino Verde in 2018 .
Route is Lugo ( Roman walled city ) to Friol ( pension/restaurant ) to Sobrodo . Stay at the monastery! The church there is one of my stand out moments . On to Biomorto ( albergue ) to Astrar via Ferradal .( albergue )
Then the last day is the same as the French route into Santiago. You will touch on the Primativo , the Northern and the French routes. I found maps and more information for the Camino Verde on this forum . Just search Verde .

Links I have passed on before were :
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...frances-later-off-the-camino-del-norte.42613/
and
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ng-from-primitivo-to-norte-yes-you-can.42599/

Double check that they are still giving out a Compostela for this route if that is important to your daughter.

Good walking .

David Tallan

Veteran Member
How old is your daughter? Perhaps she would like some input into the decision and participating in it might invest her more in the trip.

All other things being equal, there are a few alternatives to repeating the last 100 km on the Frances. The Portugues is very nice. You could start in Valença (across the river from Tui) and get a taste of Portugal in your Camino). Or you could walk the whole Ingles and do a "complete" Camino. I've also heard that the Sanabres from Ourense is quite nice.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads