• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas 2023 pilgrims, gather here!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So who will be in SdC on New Year's Eve? So far from this thread I think we have me and my (adult) kid, @Luka, @Maxetout (mother and daughter), @francescaew -- anyone else? Suggestions for a meet-up and photo op?
So we are 6 already :)
Would be great to meet up

Anyone else staying in San Martín Pinario?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Update about the xunta albergues. I texted the ones in Vigo, Redondela and Padrón.

- Vigo is open
- Redondela doesn't respond (booked a private albergue)
- Padrón is closed on Dec 24/25 and Dec 31/Jan 1 (I hope to stay there the 30th)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also waiting for train and bus tickets to go on sale for our travel dates and for the tickets to be available for educational groups at the Sophia Reina Museum in Madrid for our last day of the trip.
Oh how I'd love to be a mouse in the corner for your trip. As a nurse myself I'd love to hear what the young'ns are thinking.
Buen Camino!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like we'll be in Palas de Rei for New Years Eve. Where's the party at? And where should we stay? Hotels are closed.

Looks like we'll be in Palas de Rei for New Years Eve. Where's the party at? And where should we stay? Hotels are closed.
We will be in Ferreiros just a couple of stages behind you. Early to bed for my group and depending on grace (and maybe taxis) we'll find beds and some supper.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nothing open in Palas de Rei? Wow.

I am afraid that foodwise it is going to be difficult too those days around Christmas and New Year. Lots of restaurants and shops will be closed.

Last edited:
yikes! getting concerned about finding an albergue or place to sleep 12/31 New Year's Eve in Palais de Rei. Albergue Zendoira just emailed that they are also closed. Anyone know of a 365/yr albergue in Palais de Rei?

There are 2 Xunta albergues. Are you sure they are not open? Usually they would be open all year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are 2 Xunta albergues. Are you sure they are not open? Usually they would be open all year.
Thanks!

I decided to carry a few freeze dried meals and protein bars with me, as I am afraid there will be days it will be hard to find something to eat. As I am vegetarian the choice will even be more limited. My electric coil was already on my packlist, so will use that for adding hot water to the meals.

This weekend training and gear test: I am going to walk 2 days on the Norte :)

Sounds like good insurance for you. I usually carry something not very good for me like Pringles although I also like a bag of peanuts or walnuts. I usually have some kind of noodle or soup packets and instant coffee con leche or cappuccino packets, too.

Our Camino course is maybe changing routes due to the threatened bag handler strike to Iberia Airlines. I am making alternate plans for us to end up in Burgos instead of Santiago in case an agreement is not reached.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Our Camino course is maybe changing routes due to the threatened bag handler strike to Iberia Airlines. I am making alternate plans for us to end up in Burgos instead of Santiago in case an agreement is not reached.
Oh no, that sounds stressful!

I walked on the Norte yesterday and today with (almost) my full winter gear. Distances were not too long, 16 km and 13 km. But my achilles tendons did great! So I am really hopeful that they will be fine too next weekend when I hope to start walking on the Portugués de la Costa. Nevertheless I will take it slow the first couple of days. Don't want to have to quit another Camino because of an injury.

I stayed in Llanes last night, which was nice. Met 1 other pilgrim on the road. Weather was the best you can imagine in winter: cold but a clear blue sky and no wind. 😊

Now I am really looking forward to my Christmas Camino! I'll be heading to Santiago on Thursday, leave my car there, travel to the Spanish/Portuguese border (A Guarda) by public transport and start walking on Saturday.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So who will be in SdC on New Year's Eve? So far from this thread I think we have me and my (adult) kid, @Luka, @Maxetout (mother and daughter), @francescaew -- anyone else? Suggestions for a meet-up and photo op?
Would LOVE this!

I'm staying very close to the cathedral. Happy to start a group.

Also- trying to work navigate a day trip to Finisterra on 1st Jan if anyone wants to join?

Would LOVE this!

I'm staying very close to the cathedral. Happy to start a group.

Also- trying to work navigate a day trip to Finisterra on 1st Jan if anyone wants to join?
We are leaving on the first but definitely up for a New Year’s Eve gathering. We are also staying quite near the cathedral.

Same here! Staying near the catedral (San Martín Pinario) and leaving on the 1st. Most likely I will be in Santiago with a (non-pilgrim) friend of mine. Would be really nice to meet up on the Praza do Obradoiro. Whatsapp group seems the most practical?

Are the 31st arrivers in Santiago all walking the Francés? I'll be walking from Padrón that day, on the Portugués.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So we are 6 already :)
Would be great to meet up

Anyone else staying in San Martín Pinario?

Hello everyone
I will also be walking on portuguese way in the end of december
I will spend Christmas in Porto, and will stard my walk from Tuí in the 26th december towards Santiago :D
Will be lovely to meet you all

And by the way, thanks for all the prior tips, I just read the comments and found lots of valuable recomendarions!!

Welcome to the Christmas Club, @Ester! Wonderful to see that the Camino won't be completely deserted the end of December. :)

It was very rainy yesterday, so I decided to do a first gear test. I walked for 2,5 hours in the rain.
- Boots: passed the test
- Wet glasses: extremely annoying (I opened another topic about this issue)
- Raincoat: not impressed (sweaty, T-shirt got wet from the rain, water entering my sleeves when walking with poles)

It was also to test myself: how did I like it to walk for hours in the rain? It wasn't that bad. I hope to find some kind of solution for my glasses, because that was the biggest bummer. And I know now that my raincoat is not good enough for hours of rain. So the next time I would have to test raincoat plus poncho (but that will certainly make it sweatier). It was still fun to be outside though and that hot shower afterwards was heaven. 😍
About wet glasses, this is what we use against snow and it works for rain too.

FA28094C-3759-41A1-B3C9-2CA2D678ABB8.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A out wet glasses, this is what we use against snow and it works for rain too.
That looks fancy. Is that something you would put over your glasses? Or does it work like a visor?

I am heading for Santiago tomorrow! I'll leave my car there and on Friday I'll travel to my starting point by public transport.

I have been following someone on Facebook who is walking the Portugués right now. It is not so deserted as I expected... He is just past Redondela now and says there are 30+ pilgrims on the road!

I have been following someone on Facebook who is walking the Portugués right now. It is not so deserted as I expected... He is just past Redondela now and says there are 30+ pilgrims on the road!

And I suspect there will be more next week given the holidays.

Safe travels!

€149,-
A bit if good news for my group, the ground workers have called off their strike against Iberia so we are back on for the original plan of Santiago to Sarria starting Dec 31. I had developed an alternate plan that did not use Iberia to reach Santiago, but instead used the bus from Madrid to reach Estella and walk to Burgos. Its a relief for me.

This post has been really helpful as Im walking the Portuguese central from Ponte de Lima, starting on 24th December. Problem is I cant get any company to transfer my bags. I was even happy to leave my (airplane clothes/bag) in Ponte de Lima and pick them up in Santiago but Tuitrans aren't offering luggage transfer again until March. And when I contacted Correos they said they can only deliver within Spain. So I believe Im carrying everything during the 24th and 25th at least. Does anyone know of another company that would deliver from Ponte de Lima to Santiago, it seems they are definitely closed over Xmas and the 31st, but even if I could send my airplane bag ahead? Many thanks for your help

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am heading for Santiago tomorrow! I'll leave my car there and on Friday I'll travel to my starting point by public transport.

That's good to know. I start from Porto on Saturday.

That looks fancy. Is that something you would put over your glasses? Or does it work like a visor?
It’s like a sunscreen,can choose a coloured one as well. Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello.
Are there others headed to Vigo to celebrate new years, and talk to others? I am going here tomorrow. Apart from 'Vigo' I do not have much of an inkling where to go, but I hope I am not the only one at least ?

Last edited:
Hello.
Are there others headed to Vigo to celebrate new years, and talk to others? I am going here tomorrow. Apart from 'Vigo' I do not have much of an inkling where to go, but I hope I am not the only one at least ?
Hi, I'll be in Santiago then... When I was in Vigo a couple of days ago there were only a few pilgrims. You might want to pass by at the Xunta Albergue to find out if there is anyone there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@ivar Thanks for bringing us all together! @Ester Ellery @ShoshTrvls @Luka @francescaew

Happy New Year all!
I'm really greatefull I found this forum. It was my first walk, and I had lots of usefull tips here.
Also meeting @Ellery @ShoshTrvls @Luka @francescaew was really special, felt like being in a family even if I was walking alone!
My experience was really great, met lots of nice people in the path and I'm already wanting the next walk!

Thanks girls for the cia, nice chat, messages, dinner and new years night!

And thanks everyone for the valuable tips!!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.