• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cimarron the 91 year old pilgrim

Bearbag

Cimarron The 91 year Old Pilgrim started (alone) the Frances at SJPDP on September 4. He is from Pensacola, Florida, and previously at age 84 walked all of the 2175 mile Appalachian Trail in the United States. He calls his family but very little information gets passed beyond concern for his "minutes." Yesterday he was near "Point 5 or 6" but couldn't name a town. A Spaniard helped him find lodging one night and he has "used his age" to advantage to find a bed another night. He was well and jovial according to the wife. Two questions: Does anyone know of an older pilgrim ever? And, If there is information about him, please post to this forum.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What an amazing accomplishment! I hope to meet Cimarron on the way.. we're likely to be walking at about the same pace ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We spent two nights with Cimmaron, the first at Orisson, where everyone stands up after the pilgrim meal and introduces themselves. Cimmaron got a huge round of applause. Then, a couple nights later at Zubiri municipal Albergue, I was telling an Aussie fellow I met about the 91 year old, and a few minutes later he arrived, At this point, the dorms were full and in the overflow area they'd run out of mats and the only option was to sleep on the concrete floor.

My Aussie friend waved Cimmaron over and brought him into our dorm. Turns out, there had been an empty bunk beside him all along, he'd told staff, but they never sent anyone over there. It was a top bunk, but the woman below offered to take the top so Cimmaron would not have to climb, then another woman came over to offer him a blanket.

He's a remarkable guy and it's remarkable to see how the Camino provides.

Larry

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Often it provides through fellow pilgrims. ;)

I try to be one of those...

You certainly do and are falcon. I remember you offering to share a coffee with me back in May just before my Camino and you were very helpful to me with all my questions on forum at the time.
Thanks again fellow pilgrim

Last edited:
91 year old Cimarron plans to walk The Frances Route 791 km. from SJPDP to Santiago de Compostela in one pilgrimage. Does anyone know of anyone OLDER who has done the entire Camino Frances route? There is a link above to a 97 year old doing 100 miles of the Camino but not the entire Frances route.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We spent two nights with Cimmaron, the first at Orisson, where everyone stands up after the pilgrim meal and introduces themselves. Cimmaron got a huge round of applause. Then, a couple nights later at Zubiri municipal Albergue, I was telling an Aussie fellow I met about the 91 year old, and a few minutes later he arrived, At this point, the dorms were full and in the overflow area they'd run out of mats and the only option was to sleep on the concrete floor.

My Aussie friend waved Cimmaron over and brought him into our dorm. Turns out, there had been an empty bunk beside him all along, he'd told staff, but they never sent anyone over there. It was a top bunk, but the woman below offered to take the top so Cimmaron would not have to climb, then another woman came over to offer him a blanket.

He's a remarkable guy and it's remarkable to see how the Camino provides.

Larry
Dear Larry: Thanks for this information. I desire all the details I can get as I am posting to his Facebook Page.

I hiked for two days with Cimmaron on the Appalachian Trail in 2011. He is a great guy and I hope I'm like him at his age. GOD BLESS YOU CIMMARON.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cimarron (Known as Mike) the 91 year old pilgrim finished the Frances on or about October 17, 2013. He walked every step (nearly 500 miles) of the Frances El Camino from St jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. He received his Compostela last week and THEN he rode a bus or train back to Belorado to walk the 50 km to Burgos that he had missed when he took a bus to Burgos for evaluation of hip bursitis. He had a cortisone shot into the bursa and then walked on to Santiago de Compostela with the plan to come back later for the missed 50 km. Part of the reason was a hiking companion had taken the bus with him and had no plan to go back to do the missed distance. Cimarron (Mike) has also hiked all of the Appalachian Trail in the United States and AT hikers are VERY compassionate about doing every single mile of trail and Cimarron believes the same. He has been invited to attend the Gathering of the American Pilgrims in St. Louis in April and plans to do so, but said to me: "How am I going to be at that meeting when this little pilgrimage has got me into shape to go for the Appalachian Trail old age record again?" Cimarron Mike did NOT carry a camera although he posed for hundreds of photos with other pilgrims at request. It would be nice if we could receive copies of many of those photos for his memories. Please give date, location, some of the story, and the name of the photographer. You may attach those to his Facebook page (Mike Caetano, or Cimarron, The 91 Year Old Pilgrim ) or attach them to this forum.

WOW..that means I have to wait 23 years to try to break his record? Good job, Cimarron! I have so many stories to tell but one that goes along with this...I meet a 87 year old in Pamplona, he was a Padre on his way to Santiago. I had to get a new backpack and asked him if he wanted my old one. He grabbed my hand and with a prayer, said "Thank you my son," I asked him what he was going to do with it, he said "Give it to the Boy Scouts," I said "Where are they?" He said "Santiago," yes, he carried it all the way!

Oh boy, I hope that I am still able to walk at the age of 91. If I can walk a camino that certainly will be a bonus. What an inspirational post.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back