• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 15, May the 1st start.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning to start from SJPP on May 1, 2015. Haven't got my flights booked yet because have to renew my passport first (in progress). Very excited, a bit scared and obsessing about packing minutiae at the moment.

Remember that May 1 is a holiday for most of Europe. Places will be closed, and crowds may be large for the long weekend.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the update. I will be arriving in St. Jean Pied de Port the day before so hopefully all will be well. As to the number of people, oh well, perhaps it will be a blessing for a newbie like me.

I am planning to start from SJPP on May 1, 2015. Haven't got my flights booked yet because have to renew my passport first (in progress). Very excited, a bit scared and obsessing about packing minutiae at the moment.
Hi jpn321. I'm hoping to arrive in SJPSP on the 29th April and have 2 nights there with the day in between to sort kit and get ready etc. will probably fly from the UK to Bordeaux.. Cheap flight.. I have accommodation booked for those two nights in SJPDP. It is easy to pack, unpack and pack again, there are kit lists on the forum and it is suggested that you carry no more than 10% of your body weight..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Best to book that night's accommodation in advance.
Hi Al. I have booked accommodation in SJPDP already, just planning my route from the UK, a flight to Bordeaux, a night in a hotel there as my flight doesn't get I until 1600 hrs and then travel to SJPDP on the 29th..wahoo.. Looking forward to my first step on the camino..thanks for your comment..

I started on May 1st two years ago. In Europe it is May Day, a huge public holiday. Almost everthing was closed and we had trouble accessing our albergue in Valcarlos because we could not find anyone to give us the access code. And it was difficult to find food. Make sure you are organised.

There are Ryanair flights to Biarritz that get there in time to go to SJPDP and the pilgrim office stays open until the last train gets in. Also there is normally a taxi from Express Bouricott that you can book a place in.

€60,-
There are Ryanair flights to Biarritz that get there in time to go to SJPDP and the pilgrim office stays open until the last train gets in. Also there is normally a taxi from Express Bouricott that you can book a place in.
I looked at flights for the UK.. Gatwick easyjet and they don't start flying until May.. I will check Ryanair.. Thanks again..

I am hoping to get Roncesvalles on the first day.. All being well.. Are they likely to be open?

€60,-
Starting on 1 May but from Roncesvalles. As an old guy, I will be one of the slower pilgrims so say hello as you pass. Buen Camino.

I am planning to head out of SJPP on April 30th and stop in Orrison for the night. Sounds like there will be many of us!

I am planning to head out of SJPP on April 30th and stop in Orrison for the night. Sounds like there will be many of us!
It will be great to meet up with other pilgrims on route, as I said it is my hope to get to Roncesvalles after the first day however, depending on the weather it may not be.. Im just finalising my route plan to get to SJPDP, flying from the UK, Bristol.. Catch you all there and buen camino..oh! And of course.. Feliz Navidad..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe I am going to start around that time can't decide whether to start in SJPDP or Roncesvalles though. Hopefully I will see you all out on the trail.

I believe I am going to start around that time can't decide whether to start in SJPDP or Roncesvalles though. Hopefully I will see you all out on the trail.
Gotta be SJPDP...lol..I looking T going from there all the way to the end in Finesterre.. I would regret not starting there or finishing at Finisterre ..I have given myself six weeks but hope to complete in five?? All being well...lol..

I second what Primus said. The day out of SJPD may not be a walk in the park, but it's also not as tough as some make it out to be. Don't start in Roncesvalles if you think you'll regret not starting in SJPD.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow! All done..All booked up.. Ready for the 1st May start.. Flying from Bristol to Bordeaux 28th April 2015, hotel overnight in Bordeaux, early train, around 0745 from Bordeaux to ST Jean, arrive in SJPDP around lunchtime, accommodation booked in SJPDP 29th & 30th to get things ready for the first steps on the camino on the 1st.. Wahoo!! Can't wait.. Buen Camino everyone and if you're on the camino around that time..See you there..excited or what.....

Anyone else planning to start on the first of May 15b
I am planning on being in SJPdP on the 28th of April and then get what supplies I need at that point ( some food , water, etc. ) and then watch the weather to see when the best time to start. I want to take the Napoleon route and hope to hook up with some other pilgrims so I don't go alone. I hope to be on the road by the first at the latest because of the holiday. Stephen

I am planning on being in SJPdP on the 28th of April and then get what supplies I need at that point ( some food , water, etc. ) and then watch the weather to see when the best time to start. I want to take the Napoleon route and hope to hook up with some other pilgrims so I don't go alone. I hope to be on the road by the first at the latest because of the holiday. Stephen
Hi SRM, It is unlikely that you'll be walking alone with the amount of people that are likely to on the route, I arrive on the 29th and start on the 1st, I too will be walking the Napoleon route. I am excited about the whole thing and can't wait to get going..buen camino..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the tip on starting at SJPDP, I am a little behind all of you in booking a place to stay better get to it!

I was planning to leave SJPDP about the 1st of May too. I haven't booked my flight yet but may try for a few days earlier because of the holiday. Would that help with crowds, reservations, etc.?

Thanks for the tip on starting at SJPDP, I am a little behind all of you in booking a place to stay better get to it!
Hi Rach.. There are a number of places in SJPDP to stay but time is running short to book them so I would look at doing that sooner rather than later. I booked a studio apartment which sleeps five and at present there are four wishing to share, it may be a little cramped but no more than the hostels along the route I guess so if you get stuck and you are starting at the same time then let me know.. Look at booking .com and type in accommodation st Jean pied de port..happy planning..

€60,-
I was planning to leave SJPDP about the 1st of May too. I haven't booked my flight yet but may try for a few days earlier because of the holiday. Would that help with crowds, reservations, etc.?
Hi Ahhhs, depends where you are flying from or the route you are taking to get to SJPDP. Because I'm flying from Bristol, UK I will be flying to Bordeaux on the 28th, staying overnight there and then head up to SJPDP..My plan is to arrive on the 29th and stay two nights, 29th and 30th in SJPDP in order to get everything sorted and get myself rested prior to an early May 1st start. May 1st I'm told is a holiday but the hostels on the camino will still be open and I will have all I need done prior to then...hopefully..lol..

get myself rested prior to an early May 1st start
You may be so excited that sleeping is difficult! A lot of extra time in SJPdP is not really necessary since you are in virtually the same time zone. The Pilgrim Office takes ten minutes. Sightseeing takes two hours at most. Two days might be quite boring, especially as you watch hundreds of other pilgrims heading up the hill.:)

Buen camino.

You may be so excited that sleeping is difficult! A lot of extra time in SJPdP is not really necessary since you are in virtually the same time zone. The Pilgrim Office takes ten minutes. Sightseeing takes two hours at most. Two days might be quite boring, especially as you watch hundreds of other pilgrims heading up the hill.:)

Buen camino.
Hi Falcon269.
Already excited..lol..I'm due to arrive pm on the 29th, accommodation booked for that night, the 30th will be just getting sorted,having a wander, talking to others, etc and final kit prep.. So in actual time frame it's only one whole day..I will be anxious to start as you say but I already am..lol.. :rolleyes:..can't wait!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just booked reservations in St Jean for the 28th and 29th. Wasn't sure how long to stay, want to make sure of weather to start and maybe meet people to start with. I keep looking at the sight to see what I have missed that will be needed. This is out of character for me because I usually just wait to see what happens, must be the excitement that this is really happening. Happy New Year to all and I look forward to meeting you this coming year. Buen Camino Stephen

I feel the same way Stephen. I'm usually of the more spontaneous "wing it" group so making reservations that far ahead is different for me.

If I don't reserve in SJPDP for the last couple of days of April will there be "no room at the inn" when I arrive?

I'm coming from California, flying into Madrid.

I feel the same way Stephen. I'm usually of the more spontaneous "wing it" group so making reservations that far ahead is different for me.

If I don't reserve in SJPDP for the last couple of days of April will there be "no room at the inn" when I arrive?

Hey Ahhhs, I don't know. ( don't hear that from men much, do you ? ) I had looked at reservations and decided it was not necessary then I thought that May 1st is a really big holiday and decided I didn't want to start out camping outside before I start. I am flying into Paris on the 28th in the morning and will catch a train to Bayonne. Hope to see the country side on the way down. Jet lag doesn't usually get me down but wasn't sure of the weather to start so I booked two nights. From this point on I am " going with the flow ". I hope to meet new friends and start the journey/adventure together. I want to take the napoleon route over the top and make it to Roncesvalles the first day if possible. I don't have to be anywhere until June 13th when I will meet one of my children and his wife in Malaga for a holiday in Southern Spain. This is all sooo exciting for me. I feel like an 18 year old driving around in an older car, like in high school. LOL. I don't know what I can do to help with your planning but will be glad to assist in any way I can. Have a great New Year. Stephen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Ahhhs..Hi.
I booked months ago and you may be lucky when you arrive but that could be doubtful.. I have a studio apartment booked for the 29th and 30th, 3 others are offering to share , it sleeps five according to the hotel, so I have space for one.. It has to be on a first come first serve basis. I will at some point tomorrow send you some links that you may try but then if you have no luck let me know if you want to take that place.. Good hunting.. And Happy new year..

Thanks!

And Happy New Year all. 2015 is going to be exciting. :)

Thanks!

And Happy New Year all. 2015 is going to be exciting. :)
Hi Ahhhs, as promised I have forwarded the name of a hotel in SJPDP.
D’Arradoy
You can check it out and you may find others if this one doesn't suit..there are still a few rooms available.. Just google accommodation in st Jean pied de port and you may find more.. Good hunting..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for sharing the info! Planning to book once my flight times are finalized

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back