• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2011

Hi Sabine, We should be in Roncesvalles the day before you, so you won't be that far behind.

Hi Susan, we are leaving from St Jean Pied de Port as we will have come from Paris beforehand.

Cheers Sharni

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Haven't seen anything on here about the Camino Ingles...
I've only got a week to spare, so am setting out from Ferrol Mar 28th,hopefully arrriving SDC on the following Saturday.
Next year: VDLP!! :D

SabineP said:
Hi Sharni and Susan,

This is all getting very real isn't? You two will be a couple of days in front of me and considering I'm a sloooowwwww Belgiam I probably will not meet up with you but you never know.....
Will travel via Zaragoza to Pamplona and then bus to Roncesvalles for starting the 12th of April.
Still lots to organise at work before my sabbatical and training of course. Tomorrow after two weeks of " light " walking due to my accident back to full backpack walking.

Will glue the forumbadge on my backpack and keep looking out for you guys!!! Good luck and buen camino.
Sabine

Hi Sabine
Yes it is all becoming real! Ha I am also slow-feel no need to rush and also had a very bad arm injury which affected my back and lifting ability so will be taking it easy with a backpack. Would be fun to meet up and learn some of your lovely language. Took a look at your blog and could make out a few words! I love languages and lived in Germany and Spain back in the 90's and am communicating about a job in Naples, Italy which would start sometime in June/July. So...thus the camino at this time as getting time off after starting a new job will be difficult.

If we don't meet up may the wind sweep you forward with deep breathes of the magical Camino air! Very excited here but also a bit nervous! Buen Camino!
Susan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sharni said:
Hi Sabine, We should be in Roncesvalles the day before you, so you won't be that far behind.

Hi Susan, we are leaving from St Jean Pied de Port as we will have come from Paris beforehand.

Cheers Sharni

Thanks Sharni
I want to start in St. Jean Pied de Port--that odd desire to cross the Pyrennes and will stay in Orisson the first night if choosing this route. Takes me back to my old reading of Paulo Cohelo " the Pilgrimage". My ticket will have be arriving in Madrid most likely as I will go to visit friends south of Sevilla after the trek. Figuring a train connections of some sort from Roncesvalles..or taxi if needed but want to avoid the cost-----my project today.

Best of luck in preparations and thinking our paths may cross!
All the best
Susan

Sojourner47 said:
Haven't seen anything on here about the Camino Ingles...
I've only got a week to spare, so am setting out from Ferrol Mar 28th,hopefully arrriving SDC on the following Saturday.
Next year: VDLP!! :D
There are a number of folk planning to walk the Camino Inglés later this year, ourselves included. I think we signed up to the Class of 2011 fairly early on so are in the early pages.
Have a great Camino
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

smullins4 said:
SabineP said:
Hi Sharni and Susan,

This is all getting very real isn't? You two will be a couple of days in front of me and considering I'm a sloooowwwww Belgiam I probably will not meet up with you but you never know.....
Will travel via Zaragoza to Pamplona and then bus to Roncesvalles for starting the 12th of April.
Still lots to organise at work before my sabbatical and training of course. Tomorrow after two weeks of " light " walking due to my accident back to full backpack walking.

Will glue the forumbadge on my backpack and keep looking out for you guys!!! Good luck and buen camino.
Sabine

Hi Sabine
Yes it is all becoming real! Ha I am also slow-feel no need to rush and also had a very bad arm injury which affected my back and lifting ability so will be taking it easy with a backpack. Would be fun to meet up and learn some of your lovely language. Took a look at your blog and could make out a few words! I love languages and lived in Germany and Spain back in the 90's and am communicating about a job in Naples, Italy which would start sometime in June/July. So...thus the camino at this time as getting time off after starting a new job will be difficult.

If we don't meet up may the wind sweep you forward with deep breathes of the magical Camino air! Very excited here but also a bit nervous! Buen Camino!
Susan

Susan, thank you for that beautiful last sentence! Great that you could make sense out of my flemish. Good luck also with the jobhunting.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everybody,
Due to a cancellation I got called to have a bit of keyhole surgery on my knee this week. Am a bit sore and won't be pounding any pavements for a few weeks. But I still intend flying to Bilbao on May 3rd. and then by bus on to Pamplona same day. Looks like I might meet up with Elizabeth from Canada as you will pass me on the road some day.

Buen Camino to all of you starting out this month
Lydia

I will be making my second attempt at the Camino this September, likely starting again in St Jean. Is anyone else walking then? 8)

Yay Tim, great news. You'll rock your way along the camino this time. Trust me! :D :D :D
Talk soon
Carole

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ah Tim, our camino man!

I'm thrilled you are planning a camino this year- you will have lots of company for sure, and this will be your time!

Remember to leave time for R&R, and if you don't have a lot of time off from work, remember it's no big deal to bus or taxi to make up for time if you've had to take a few days rest for blisters or other problems. Just keep going all the way to Santiago!

I'm cheering for you Tim! :D

lynne

also rooting for you Tim-good luck
having put my own plans for a Canadian trip on the back boiler for this year I have just booked a flight into Biarritz and start walking the Camino Norte on the 11th of May.
Ian

Hello All!!!

The season is upon us and the number of peregrinos continue to increase. I'm also noticing an increase in the varied Caminos being walked as we make our Way to SDC.

Please consider adding your itinerary to the Pilgrim Calendar and, don't forget to keep us informed as you walk the Way.

Buen Camino

Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tim,
I'm leaving late May for my first camino and I want to thank you for your painfully honest post about the difficulties you experienced on your first trip, ( posted some time ago ).
I have to say I have taken everything you said to heart and have mentally prepared with your experiences in mind.
You presented the issues so logically that even without doing the camino it made sense and will hopefully help me to avoid some of the same pitfalls.
Thanks for the advice,
Frances

Hi to all 2011 class members,
I plan to walk the Camino from Arles, across the via Toulouse, cross the Somport to Jaca, then onto Santiago. I am scheduled to leave Arles on the 5th of September 2011. I originally wanted to walk further south (the Piedmont Route?) because of my interests in the Cathars, but wasn't confident with how established the route is and accomodation. Maybe I'll do that another year.
I have a very keen interest in what I will losely call the 'spiritual' aspect of the walk. Part of my motive for doing the walk was my need to bring my physical consciousness into greater balance with the other aspects of my being. So already the dream of the Camino has given the motivation to get out of bed early several days a week and walk! I would not call myself religious but I am keenly interested in the spiritual aspects of life.
One question I would love to see discussed is why others feel such a strong urge to walk the Camino when the idea, often unintenionally, crosses their mind. Why are so many people DRIVEN to walk it? What spiritual benefits and even religious benefits are people getting from the experience. Anyway, already I have benefited through my preparation, weight loss, fitness, achievments and expanded appreciation of the beauty of the region in which I live. How good does it get.
Russell

Hi everyone!

I've been using these posts to garner lots of info over the last few months, and with my impending departure from the states in a couple weeks, thought I'd finally say "hey" to everyone and Buen Camino!

I'm leaving SJPDP on April 15, after a week in France. As we move closer the trepidation and fear I may have felt is turning into unbridled exuberance. The lessons of the Camino have already started (with a vengeance) and I can't wait to see what else is going to be revealed once I'm in the thick of it!

...Soon now... very soon!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen camino, NYC!

You're in for the time of your life!

Go well.

lynne

Hi Guys. Im Tune Nielsen from Denmark 24 years old.

Leaving Oloron-Ste-Marie the morning of 29 March after staying the first night in Bayonne. I will be walking through Somport to Jaca and then on to Puenta La Reina joining the french rute there, probarbly around 7 April.

See you all

Welcome NYC to the Forum and the Class of 2011!

I can relate to "all the above" in the excitement side of your Camino, and it has indeed already begun to mold itself around you.

Enjoy and Buen Camino.

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Tune,

I am thinking of walking from Oloron-Ste-Marie, although in September, and from there to St. Jean-Pied-de-Port. I would like to know how you intend to get there from Bayonne.

~Ivor

The train is one way:

09h43 BAYONNE
10h16 > 12h00 via DAX GARE
TER 66504 Durée : 04h43

12h53 > 13h49 via PAU GARE
TER 67704

14h26 OLORON STE MARIE
TER 67449

12h38 BAYONNE
13h52 > 15h32 via PAU GARE
Intercités 14144 Durée : 03h31

16h09 OLORON STE MARIE
TER 67441

15h09 BAYONNE
16h13 > 17h05 via PAU GARE
Intercités 14146 Durée : 02h33

17h42 OLORON STE MARIE
TER 67451

16h28 BAYONNE
17h41 > 18h31 via PAU GARE
Intercités 14148 Durée : 02h41

19h09 OLORON STE MARIE
TER 67453

18h20 BAYONNE
19h35 > 19h57 via PAU GARE
TER 67010 Durée : 02h14

20h34 OLORON STE MARIE
TER 67459

Hi all would like to intro myself to all newbies and oldies of the Camino.My name is Maurice and am from South Africa.I will be doing a section of the Camino in middle May starting in Leon.Thanxs to all for thw valuable info which i have obtained from the site.Greetings to all from a sunny South Africa.
Sender fynbos sa

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's done. After an extremely lengthy proposal/application process, we got our funding! My friend Johnny and I just purchased plane tickets from DFW to MAD leaving on June 1. We are both sophomores at Hendrix College and will be walking the Camino as part of our school's Odyssey program. Naturally, still freaking out about preparations/equipment, but by June we'll be ready!! Who's with us?

Thanks for your post, falcon269.

Tune Nielsen, if you would care to tell me how you intend to get from Bayonne to Oloron-Sainte-Marie I would be happy to hear from you. ~Ivor

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Maurice. The number of South Africans doing the Camino is increasing. 2 of us from Durban are starting out from SJPDP on 27th April, and I plan to arrive in Santiago on the 26th May. We are so privileged in Durban to have Sylvia who is a veteran member of the forum. She has been our inspiration and mentor. Buen Camino

Hi everybody,

I am joining you from Cape Town in South Africa. I am planning to walk the El Camino this year, probably July/August from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago and then on to Finisterre. I just recently started research and happened onto this website. Can anyone tell me how busy it is in July/August and also what the weather is like that time of the year?

Learning some spanish words but need to know if I would be able to get by on English only? Any advice/commens would be welcome.

Espero conocer a muchos gente nueva en esta aventura!

Buen Camino!

Willemien

IvorL said:
Thanks for your post, falcon269.

Tune Nielsen, if you would care to tell me how you intend to get from Bayonne to Oloron-Sainte-Marie I would be happy to hear from you. ~Ivor

Hi Ivor ;)

Ill be sleeping in Bayonne and then 29 march in the morning at 0658 a train in Bayonne is leaving for Pau. There i will be waiting in about one hour and take the train on to Oloron-Ste-Marie. I know that a bus is going the same way so ill be trying to get a bus if i can avoid the waiting.

Looking very much forward. St. Jean Pied de Port is totally gay compared ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all,
Just wanted to say a quick hello as I am a young kiwi lass doing the camino in May 2011.
I am very excited to share my camino with everybody I meet and look forward to learning from those around me.

ultreya!

Hello all! Like many of you, the realization that you actually are going to undertake this great adventure and experiment doesn't hit home until you buy your plane ticket. There's no turning back now: Depart Atlanta May 8th, arrive in Ponferrada on the 9th, and off down the yellow brick road on the 10th! Hope to cross paths with you all in spirit if not face to face. David

I drove two hours today to attend the semi-annual Toronto Chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims meeting in downtown Toronto today. There were about 250 people at the meeting and the keynote speaker was Rocco Rossi, who has walked the Camino three times - the last time being this past Nov-Dec. They said that this is the biggest english speaking Camino group in the world. They have people there giving travel advice, equipment advice, and others providing information about foot care. Money raised at these events is sent to a couple of the albergues for the provision of hot water. They said that $8000 was sent last year.

There were lots of people there getting their Pilgrim Credential passports (about 50 or so), and I got mine :D Hearing and talking to other people in person who have either been there, or are planning to go - is very exciting and contangious. People I have never met in my life reconized me from my blog (I guess you need to careful what you write!).

I know this forum is for people from all over the world but for folks within driving distance of Toronto, the next meeting is in October and is very worthwhile. I may miss it as I may still be on the Camino :)

Tim, you promised to introduce yourself to me. How did I miss you at the meeting? :cry:

Hi my name is Martha and I am departing Canada in a couple of days. I arive in Paris on April 1 and will be travelling to SJPP that day. Starting the journey on April 2, 2011. We are staying our first night in Orrison, easing ourselves in! I am travelling with my 69yr old Mother who walked the Camino almost 10 years ago.

As far as hitting home, it is now hitting home with just a few days left until I depart! When I booked my plane ticket a couple of months ago I had a great sense of excitement and adventure. Now with only a few days left before my journey begins it IS hitting home!!!! Even having moments of WHAT I AM THINKING????

Reading the forums has been a great sense of encouragement and has helped me with my fear of the unknown.....even though all the talk of snorers has scared me into thinking I may not sleep for 5 weeks! Ear plugs are packed!

Ready or not.....the journey begins in 4 more days!! Thank You to all who have shared thier experiences on here....

Martha

Martha, I hope those ear plugs are silicone, nothing else works. If you don't have silicone ones, get them - you won't be sorry!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tim-the-fat-Canadian said:
I will be making my second attempt at the Camino this September, likely starting again in St Jean. Is anyone else walking then? 8)

Tim!!!!!
I'm so happy to see you'll be trying again!
Good for you!
Will you keep a blog going?

Yea Tim, for all to see I met you for a fleeting moment yesterday little did I know that the Tim I met was THE TIM. :oops: What route will you take? :)

My wife and I plan on being part of the class of 2011. It will be our first such venture and are planning to do the Sarria to Santiago portion. We will arrive inSantiago and bus to Sarria, arriving in Santiago on Sept. 5. Would be glad to share the price of a shuttle to Sarria, perhaps leaving 6 Sept. Any advice is gladly accepted about storing baggage in Santiago, places to stay, and getting to Sarria, as well as transportation options to Barcelona after the Camino, many thanks, Hank and Geri

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maurice, Martha,Hank and Geri, David and GypsySoul...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2011!

As you can see you will be joining an ever increasing number of peregrinos departing soon to walk the Way.

If you haven't done so, please consider taking a look at the Pilgrim Calendar at the bottom right of this page. Add your itinerary and see who else will be walking the Way at the same time.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Small rant : " peeing in my pants " from nervousness/stress. Thousand things to arrange this last week of work, next week some householdstuff to arrange...And then of the 10th of April.
Think I will put in a curfew for myself not to visit this website next week just to keep myself calm.
ok rant over... :wink: Thanks for listening folks.

Don't worry Sabine - I feel the same - leaving 14 April. Just got home from work and looked at my pile of gear, my messy house, my cat who knows something's up....am I going to get it all together? I usually do....

Breathe. Breathe.

Buen camino.

lynne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Cheers Lynne! I know I know....Same here too with my cats. All will work out fine says my brain. Take care too.

All will be ok, you may think your alone on the camino, and you may want to be alone at times, but if you need help your never ignored or left alone! The way that pylgrims took care of each other was inspiring and returned my faith in human nature. :) enjoy the feelings your having it will make your journey that much more special and memorable.

SabineP said:
Small rant : " peeing in my pants " from nervousness/stress. Thousand things to arrange this last week of work, next week some householdstuff to arrange...And then of the 10th of April.
Think I will put in a curfew for myself not to visit this website next week just to keep myself calm.
ok rant over... :wink: Thanks for listening folks.

Sabine, I totally know what you mean! I too find that when I really am the most wound up...it's easier to just fall silent and just...breathe!! You'll do great, one footstep after another and then repeat! Just keep posting on you blog when you can!

Buen Camino, Karin :arrow:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lynne, Sabine . . . I'm the same . . . you'd think after a few caminos we'd be relaxed about another one. . .. but I'm so wound up !! Excitement, panic, trouble sleeping, it's all there.

Still things to buy, flood damage from last week to sort, but we'll be throwing ourselves onto that plane on 16th April no matter what. .... after I've sorted my hair!!

Keep breathing. Carole
PS Stopping my addiction to this Forum might help!!!! :?

Thanks sooo much people! Your words really do mean much to me! It is the first smile of the day for me and it does wonders. Not a good day at all. A caraccident five weeks ago which wasn't my fault at all and today I was in another accident that was indeed my fault. Saint Jacob was with me because the other party was calm and collected and thank god her little boy in the carseat was unharmed.
Who is trying to tell me something?
A virtual hug!!

Someone is trying to tell you to get out of the car and put on your pack and start walking:) beun camino, glad to hear you and the other party are all ok. Not to many cars to worry about , but beware the silent bicycle without a bell!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
hi all, I'm a late joiner as I will be arriving into SJPdP on sunday evening 3rd of April, nervous and excited to get started

Hi! I'm Elizabeth and I'm walking the camino September-October. Planning to start in Burgos as I only have three+ weeks off from work to take this amazing journey. Thanks to all those who post and give such great advice - I feel like I will be prepared for the ups and downs of the trek. :)

I'm walking the camino as my own spiritual pilgrimage, to get away from the distractions of every day life and really try to listen to God, to really hear what He is trying to tell me. I first wanted to walk in 2005 but was too scared to go alone. Something just clicked for me last year, and I decided that I was going to go in 2011 -- since then, everything has really just been confirming that decision. I've got my plane ticket, so there's no turning back now. :)

Hopefully, I'll meet some of you along the way. Until then, Buen Camino!

~Elizabeth~

As advised by several learned contributers ti this forum I have been practicing my breathing. And today I leave Seville for the Via de la Plata. Every thing so far has been so good if you leave out the length of the flight. Korean Air were great, the highspeed train to Seville was a treat, and Seville is a wonderful city. And I cannot say enough good things about Triana Backpackers. Staff are fabulous, rooms have 2 to 3 double bunks per room, though you can pay something extra and get a room with 2 single beds. I paid 14 euro and for that I got free breakfast and free internet as well as the bed. The kitchen is fully equipped and squeeky clean.

Along with some fellow pilgrims I attended the meeting of the local camino supporters group last night where we were told of some flooding on the way to Guillena and advised to take a slightly longer route, and a map supplied to help us.

The only cloud on the horizon is a particularly likeable Frenchman who is the snorer from hell. He also leaves for guillena today. I might have to rearrnge my itinerary.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Alan,

Glad to hear about your experience at Triana (I also booked a night there in July) and look forward to hearing about your journey.

Buen camino and I hope that your feet stay dry :D !

Cheers,
LT

Sabine, FFP13 has the right of it:

Someone is trying to tell you to get out of the car

Your Camino began with a decision to walk the Way. The operative word being walk!

Alan...you've found that, by staying connected to others already on the Camino, or taking the time to "Check before you go" many possible pitfalls along the Way can be avoided, also passing on good scoop to those following behind you is a reward all around.

Elizabeth, your Camino has also already begun. You've given yourself three weeks to make it to SDC, and that should be enough time. If anything happens to slow you down, consider motoring ahead to Sarria so you can complete your "spiritual" journey and receive the Compostela. You can easily make it from Sarria to SDC in 10 days.

Matty...two days and a wake up and you're on your Way!

Buen Camino to you all

Arn

Alan -
Good to hear from you - you've already had a great start!
Go well and safely, and keep in touch!

lynne

€46,-
Just looking back through the previous few pages..... so many people excited, scared, busy, happy.
Hope your plans are going well everyone, especially Elizabeth, Matty, Ivor, Mike, Marjorie and all.

Wondering how your first day went Alan? You are finally on the way. Will be looking for your name in the albergues along the Vdlp in a few weeks.

Buen camino a todos..... and keep breathing!
Carole

I arrive in Leon on 1st June to begin my Camino. Excited, terrified isnt half of it. I play around with my pack, have become obsessed with what everything weighs (my earplugs weigh 7g) do probably not enough practice walking, despair at the lack of loss of personal weight and know I must start the gym again tomorrow. Have gleaned so much helpful information from this site .... thankyou all so much. Im really looking forward to meeting some wonderful people and finding out what the Camino means for me.

Buen Camino
Debbie :)

Debbie, - just breathe :wink:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That is so funny Beverley. 31 years ago my mother gave me that exact advice when I was a little nervous about going into labour. At least I dont get a baby at the end of this. Or is there something you lot havent mentioned?

Debbie

One never knows what the Camino will bring. Just watch for dogs that might attach themselves to you. Send them home or they will end up on the streets of Santiago. :cry:

Hi
I'm from BC Canada and am starting to walk solo the Camino from St Jean de Pied on May 2 2011.
Have gained a lot of information from the various posts so has helped me to prepare for my Camino.
Hope to meet many people on the Trail
Bueno Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome! You will meet many people! Check out the "Calendar" at the bottom of the page to see some of the pilgrims walking around the same time.

Go well and safely.

Hi All,

Annette from Denmark here. Just signed in after a few days of reading. I am going via the primitive way starting out around the 19th of june.

Like Debbie I am weight obsessing and consider bringing my scale next time I go to town, but gear is down to 4,9 kg excluding raingear,so now on to obsessing about shooes instead :lol:

Buen Camino

Hi fellow members,

Tomorrow the 3th I'm going to Avallon, Tuesday the 5th I start in VĂ©zelay. I will take the Lemovicensis, the Ruta de Norte and the Primitivo. I know there are not many of you to walk this way, but I hope to see at least some of you; I've glued the forumsticker to my rucksack.

Many thanks to those members that gave me there advice. Maybe I will become a veteran, so that I too can help new members from this interesting forum.

Servaas

Hi Cadbury2, Myself and two others,all Aussies will be starting from St Jean on 2nd May so you won't be alone. We will be staying in Orrison for a night. Still get goosebumps although this will be my third Camino Frances.
See you soon
Heather

Will see you there. I'm staying at Esprit de Chemin May 1 and will also spend a night in Orrison. Have a safe flight. We will be walking a month today,looking forward to getting started

2 more sleeps

Well, the big day is almost here only 2 more sleeps and i'll be on my way :shock: . Soon I will find out if I have trained enough, have prepared enough, have got the right gear etc. All these months of planning and I am very excited and very nervous. Good luck to all those heading off soon as well. Perhaps we'll meet along the Way.
Buen Camino
Sharni

€46,-
Enjoy your camino

Buen camino Sharni.

Carole

Our ferry tickets have come in today's post. Just over 3 weeks before we set off for the CI from Ferrol, via Santander and Oviedo and the FEVE.

€46,-
Hi,
I will be flying into Malaga on the 26th April(Easter Tuesday) on my way to start ,Via de la Plata, The first-time' I looked at ALSA bus time table it stated that there was no service on that day,' but I tired again' and it did mention nothing about no Bus service?
I hope someone be be able to confirm. :?:

€60,-
Greetings to all and a buen Camino to those who have started. I leave Canada on May 30th and will be in Madrid for two days and then off to Lourdes France for two days before I start the Camino from Lourdes on to Camino Frances and diverting to Camino Primitivo.
I have a question to those well seasoned travelers. I plan on taking a bus from Madrid to Lourdes any idea on how long it will take to arrive in Lourdes....I presume I will arrive that day sometime but would like some idea how long. Would appreciate the help.
Thanks,
n

Hello, fellow Canuck!

By bus, I think the best you can do is Madrid to Toulouse (13 hours / 58 euro) - (alsa.es) and then you'll have to take the train from Toulouse to Lourdes (1hr43 min / 41 euro). (almost 15 hours!)

You can also go by train from Madrid to Lourdes for 125 euro in just under 6 hours. (raileurope.ca)

Flying is also an option but you'll only get Madrid-Toulouse and would still have to take the train to Lourdes.

Hope this is accurate, and hope it helps!

Buen camino!

lynnjohn, thanks for the info that helps a lot. I had been advised before to go by bus but your suggestion is far better again thanks..so when are you doing the Camino?
Buen Camino,
n.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Leaving Huelva April 27 to Zafra on the VDLP then all the way to Santiago, Finisterre and Muxia. Final end Santiago June 17th. Getting anxious to be on the way!

Your camino sounds very interesting! I hope you'll let us know how it goes for you.

Go well and safely!

Best,
lynne

Hi all!

I'm Lucy, an Aussie girl living in Spain. I woke up yesterday and decided that I want to walk the Camino - next week! Going to go shopping this weekend for a backpack. Will buy elastic ankle supports and walk in my normal gym shoes. Will basically wear the clothes on my back plus a spare set. Am I crazy? At least if there's anything else I need I should be able to buy it along the way, right?

I'll be starting in Roncesvalles, probably mid-week but I'm flexible. If anyone wants to meet up, please let me know - I'd love to have a buddy to meet up with at the end of the day, just to make sure someone knows where I am, at least for the first few days until I get the hang of things.

I hope I'll finish. I'm not so worried about my general level of fitness - I'll just do what I can each day. I'm more worried that I'll get really bored or encounter weeks of bad weather, and go home early. Fingers crossed I'll be tough enough!

You will be fine, just walk your own pace don't over do it , and your fitness and stamina will increase day by day. You have probably covered a similar amount of km on a good day out shopping.

Beun camino

Frank

€60,-
:D :D :D 11 more sleeps and my dream turns into reality!!! I am going for my last long walk in the Burg this weekend. I am leaving Durban South Africa Flying to Madrid on 19 April 2011 and will be walking Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port.I am sooo excited - I realise it is not a race but a journey and I plan to savour every minute. Thank you for this wonderful forum. I have read it every morning and I have grown in knowledge and been spoilt with advise - Time to put it all into action. I trust I will meet some of you wonderful people on route.To all the internet friends I have made and especially the experienced people I have met from my home province Kwa Zulu Natal you are all awesome - there is an inner peace that shines from within you - may I earn that along the way.This pilgrmage is for you Jarrod Blackman - I salute you young man and I pray that you will experience healing and will be able to rise above this wheel chair that restricts you.Thank you to all concerned for your love and encouragement. :D :D :D

I'm more worried that I'll get really bored or encounter weeks of bad weather
No on the boredom; yes on the weather. Take adequate rain gear, and just ignore the weather. Have fun!

Luce... good decision. Life is about taking chances and going for it. You'll make wonderful friends on the Frances and have a ball. Just take your time to begin with and enjoy every minute. :D :D :D

Buen camino. Carole

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
LuceBCN said:
Hi all!

Am I crazy? .....
Fingers crossed I'll be tough enough!

Ummm yeah, but then I think most people would think those of us here and on the road currently are crazy..so let's just say you've stumbled to the right spot. Welcome!

As far as tough enough...if you think you are...you will be! At least that's what I always tell myself! Happy shopping and wishing you all the best, Buen Camino, Karin

I finished my Camino a couple of weeks ago. DON'T WORRY! You will learn a lot, make new friends who you will see day after day as you leap frog past each other every day and sleep together many nights. Blisters will heal and wonderful food will be found (just don't eat out of the supermarket all the time!). The road will provide. We were walking along and my wife asked a fellow pilgrim if he thought there was a place to eat nearby. He asked if she were hungry and she replied yes she was. He pulled an orange out of his pocket and insisted that she take it. Wonderful orange...

Hi Cadbury and Heather,

I'm starting two days later than you, May 4th from Pamplona, so you will most probably catch up with me within a week or so.
Like everybody else I am getting all excited and trying to have everything as light as possible.

Buen Camino to you both

Lydia

Hi Lydia
I will look out for you .It will be great catching up with folks from the forum.
Buen Camino
Heather

Ok folks. This is the day. Flight this afternoon and starting in Roncesvalles Tuesday. Hopefully will catch one of you en route... . Regardless how it goes for me : thanks to all of you for all the advice, recommendations and good laughs.

Love,Sabine

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen camino Sabine. Keep breathing. Carole

I'm packed and ready to go! Catching the train to Pamplona and then the bus to Roncesvalles. Will start walking Wednesday! See you on the walk!

Cheers everyone! Am in Zubiri. Slept in hostal yesterday so this night will be my first albergue experience. Beautiful but misty walk from Roncesvalles. Heard from some people that St-Jean to Roncesvalles was quite something. Buen camino!
S.

Hi Sabine,

You remind me of my excitment my first day as I too started in Roncesvalles. Enjoy every minute of every day.
May the road rise before you
May the wind be at your Back and
May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Buen Camino

Hi Sabine, All the very best. After all these months of preparation, you are now on the Camino! Enjoy and God speed! I shall follow you on your Blog! Anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To Carole and Lynjohn especially, but also to the others who follow pilgrim journeys, Alan Pearce and Marjude are in Carceres having a day off and seeing the sights of this wondrous city. We have been walking mostly with Marsha and Karen from Washington State, but have encountered a cavalcade of colourful and delightful characters every day. We are both a bit amazed at the volume of pilgrim traffic along the VdlP. Every night the albergues are full or nearly so, and both the private and municipal albergues here in Carceres were completo last night and tonight. The weather has been sensational, just one afternoon with rain, and we have been going now for 2 weeks. Tomorrow Alan heads off solo so as to keep on schedule to reach Salamanca for Easter, and soon after that Marjude will also strike out on her own. She is going from strength to strength, and is doing the journey with great poise and good humour.
The forecast for the next few days is the same as we have been having. fine and 28 to 30 degrees. Just perfect for Australians!!!

buen camino, and we wish all peregrinos as good a time as we having.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan!! Great to hear from you!

I've been following your weather and it looks fantastic -hope it holds for us - maybe a little cooler.

I was wondering about the traffic on the VDLP - it seems some folks held back last year and are on the Way this year instead. Likely the numbers will continue to increase by the time we start out later this month (although I daresay Huelva to Zafra won't be crowded). Last time we walked the VDLP we found increased numbers later on with more people starting out from Salamanca than Sevilla.

Glad you've met up with walking mates - sounds like a wonderful camino so far! Hope your Easter in Salamanca is very special as well.

Take care, keep in touch!

Go well and safely,

lynne

Alan and Judy, :D :D :D

So pleased to hear that you are going well, enjoying the Vdlp. Fantastic weather! May the camino weather gods continue to smile on you and a bed always be found. I suspected there might be bigger crowds but sounds a bit scarey if albergues are full. We'll be OK on C Sur, Lynne.

We leave home tomorrow and fly out on Sat so it's all go here with me just managing to control the panics...... Will PM my new International mobile number ... for sms. Apparently it's really cheap.

Buen camino peregrinos.
Carole

Go well and safely my friend!

See you soon!

Judy and I are in the albergue at Embalse de la Alcantara. A long hot days work to get here but its all good now. The albergue is completo. It seems that the Hotel Lindemar is shut.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous

Alan, I'm still amazed at the crowds on the VDLP - just another adjustment to make I suppose, but really didn't think we'd have to deal with full albergues......

Many thanks for the update and info!

Keep on, and go well and safely.

Yikes.... the Vdlp is becoming the Frances..... !!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings to all who visit this forum,
A very "Grand Thank You" to all who have come before us and to all who will proceed with us. The info and personal communications along with the stellar sense of caring is quite exhilarating. Truly a loving community of folks from all walks of life who enjoy life as it is given to them! My wife and I will be arriving in SJ in a few days to start our first Camino. It seems like yesterday that we started talking about doing this. A few years back I saw a brief commercial on TV showing a women walking across the plains of Spain on a Pilgrimage. I thought that it would be quite an adventure to do something like that. Last Fall our catholic book store was having a guess speaker who would be giving a talk on his experience on the Camino, Father David Pivinka. We attended and were quite moved by his presentation. We bought his book "Hiking the Camino" and we were hooked. We both had to see if we could get time off from our jobs and as you can see God smiled upon us and we were off and running. I have visited this forum most every day to glean bits of info that would sustain us in good stead as we undertake this pilgrimage. What to take and what to expect weather and accommodation, eating, etc... I have packed my bag 3 times and unpacked 3 times and each time I have found that I didn't need this or that. I purchased a small weight scale to know exactly what we both would be caring. I'm not done yet with the packing unpacking yet but its getting there! I believe it will be less then 10% of our body weight. I have never taken this much time off ever.
My co-workers are fantastic in allowing me to tie up this much vacation
time. My wife doesn't have the vacation, but because of where she works and the wonderful folks there, she is able to make this pilgrimage. It seems to me that who ever is committed to do this, God will clear the path so that it becomes a reality. Last year I didn't take very much vacation for some reason and now having accumulated so much it is all happening, YeHaa!!!!

Thank You so very much, Al & Kathy

By to wings is man lifted above earthly things, Vis., by simplicity and purity.
Simplicity must be in the intention, purity in the affection.
Simplicity aimeth at God, purity apprehendeth him and tasteth Him.

By Thomas A Kempis

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.