• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2012

It's probably about time we started the Class of 2012 topic.

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008.
"It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there are a significant number of fellow pligrims in the mid- to final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we perigrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.
The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2008!
Buen Camino
Arn"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What about the class of 2011?

lynne

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We are hoping to walk the Le Puy route through to Santiago starting in August,2012.
Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I'm another Aussie planning to walk from Le Puy in August 2012! Having walked it one and a half times, I want to challenge myself for my 40th birthday! It will take some planning again, but I'm already starting!

Hope to meet you on the Camino!

James (Melbourne) :D

Hi James,
We thought we might also leave in August. Was it the same time of year when you walked last time? We come from Maclean in northern NSW so are used to some high temps but don't like to walk when it is too hot. Last year we were walking the Portuguese route and it was extremely hot in September. We were told that they were having a heat wave. However, it was unbearable for about 5 days.
Sharon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are two Australian teachers thinking about walking St Jean - Santiago on our long service leave, sometime in the second half of 2012.

Hi Penny,
It will be a great time to walk then. may see you along the way.
Sharon

Just to keep up the Aussie connection! Looking to walk the Primitivo in September 2012.

And hello to Sharon - the last time we spoke was beside the Cathedral in Compostela.

Alan.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Alan,
We might get to meet again in Santiago.
Sharon

Hi Rita Red,
I suggest you browse through all of the questions under Camino Frances - especially anything that is of particular interest to you. Then look under other headings like what to take and read some of the discussions about what to wear on your feet, what socks are best, how much weight to carry, how far to walk in one day etc. That'll give you a good background of others' experiences and opinions.

Now the important thing to realize is that none of this applies directly to you. You will need to figure out what is going to work best for you starting from your feet. You'll see there's a whole boots versus sandals debate and that's partly about what time of year people go. When it's rainy it can be really muddy although each year it seems that more and more of the path is being paved over (regrettably!).

But start now to figure what will work for your feet - yes now. Try on a bunch of pairs of whatever it is you want to wear until you find one that is just right. Err a bit on the side of too large because most people's feet swell after a few hours of walking apparently. You definitely don't want your toes anywhere near the end. Break those suckers in. Think about your ankles for a minute. Remember you will be on your feet for 6 or 8 hours a day going up and down hill on terrain that can be quite rocky. You will also suddenly gain up to 20 pounds (your pack) and it won't be distributed like body weight. Will your ankles need the support of boots?

Remember that to all of your questions there is no one right answer. The person answering your question may be younger, thinner, fitter, older, more sedentary, more or less experienced or whatever. Some of us have learned what works for us - but it won't necessarily work for you. Consider all the advice and make your own decisions. But take care of your feet and everything else will pretty much take care of itself (okay not quite). Just fyi, I wear boots because I walk in the spring, I was 59 on my first camino. I weigh more than I should, I work at a sedentary job, I should have trained more. BUT I've walked the Camino Frances twice and spent another total of 3 or 4 weeks on a couple of other trips and lucky me - no blisters. Against everybody's better judgement, my feet prefer fine cotton socks and hate the wicking synthetic kind. Everytime I stop I take my boots off(not in restaurants) and rub a lavender cream with arnica on my feet and frequently alternate between two pairs of socks each day. That works for me but may not be right for you.
Once you've had a chance to poke around ask more questions. There are so many people on the site with such good information. Incidentally - when you ask some questions it's helpful to let people know your age(approx), where you are (if it's travel), and your general physical condition if these things might be relevant to your question. Happy planning.
Buen camino
Cecelia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
¡Hola compañeros!

I am expecting to walk the Camino Francés in 2012. Want to walk all the way from home in Amsterdam to Santiago, but not at once. For the first part I have started with day trips every now and then. Hope to plan at least a week of walking in spring 2011 and a few weeks in summer 2011. Hope to have reached St Jean Pied de Port in fall 2012.

Hi Alan,
I hope you can. That would be a great effort.
Sharon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
AJ, I am planning on going Rome to Santiago as well. Another forum member is joining me and there may be a 3rd. We are still debating what month to start. When will you be starting and when do you hope to finish?
Lillian

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to walk in July 2012. I turn 50 (eek) that month and I thought it would be a fitting way to start the next round with a hop, skip and a jump! Three months ago I climbed Kilimanjaro and it seems as if I'm now doomed to perform a major feat of sorts every year from now on.

A month ago I had not heard of El Camino and now I'm already blogging about it! I am extremely excited about this journey and can't wait to see where it leads me and who I'll meet along the way.

I'll appreciate any advice you might have to share if you've done the walk, or if you're also a 'Class of 2012' walker, come say hallo on the blog!

http://www.caminosantiago2012.blogspot.com

MermaidLilli said:
AJ, I am planning on going Rome to Santiago as well. Another forum member is joining me and there may be a 3rd. We are still debating what month to start. When will you be starting and when do you hope to finish?
Lillian

I haven't started serious planning yet as I am still working out 2011. I want to arrive in Santiago the last week of July, so I'll work it back from there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
aussiejames said:
Hi Sharon,

I'm another Aussie planning to walk from Le Puy in August 2012! Having walked it one and a half times, I want to challenge myself for my 40th birthday! It will take some planning again, but I'm already starting!

Hope to meet you on the Camino!

James (Melbourne) :D

Hi James

I have no fixed plans yet, but may start from Le Puy in August 2012 as well. Will be 38 by then... I want to walk all the way from my home in Amsterdam to Santiago, but not at once. Can't stay away from work that long. Have started with day trips now, hope to move on through Belgium next spring and start in France in the summer of 2011. Am now thinking of the 'big final' from August till October 2011 (if I manage to save enough, free time as well as money...).

See you in 2012?
Luka

Hi, on reading all the forums re Class of 2007 to 2011, well lets start the Class of 2012, like James from sunny Melbourne, I live in Sorrento Victoria. My plans to complete the Camino from May 2012.
For all the people planning to do the "Camino" in 2012, lets join together with plans to meet on the Camino or just communicate on this Forum.
my email peter.curtin1947@hotmail.com
best wishes to all
Peter Curtin

Rita, good morning/evening, Im also planning to walk the Camino in May 2012, I live in Australia, I will be 65 by then, already started to train, off the booze, dieting, walking etc. The key is miles in your legs, start small, then increase weekly or monthly, slowing adding your carrying bag on your back, as this may hold 10-12kgs on the "real walk". Remember one very important things, you will walk on average 25kms per day every day, its not a race or winning gold medals etc, so just take you time and pace yourself. Having someone else would surely be helpful and motivating and helpful to all.
My plan is to travel from Australia to Rome, stay one night, then travel by train from Rome to Geneva, then Geneva to Le Puy (via Leon), my dates are not finalised as yet, but 19/5 would be my departure date, possible start from LE PUY would be 26/5/2012, planning to reach SANTIAGO in 70-80 days, stopping on possible weekends to enjoy the sights etc., drink the wines and taste some of french and spanish foods on offer.
Pleny of info on the web re what you need and what to carry etc.
I have trekked in Nepal and China, this is bigger yet its "only mind of matter", positive thinking and stay fit.
regards, hope to hear from you,

Peter Curtin
Sorrento, Australia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola Peregrinos
I am Kay, a 54 yr old NZer also planning a camino in 2012. I have twice walked the Camino Frances, by myself in 2001 and with my husband in 2003. I would like this time to walk one of the French routes but am not in a hurry to decide yet.. for me the planning is part of the pleasure of the camino. I am trying to marshal my thoughts on a blog http://mynextcamino.blogspot.com/ .. at the moment I am leaning towards walking from Arles to Puente le Reina in September of 2012. I am enjoying slowly preparing with no pressure .. I am trying to increase my walking (I am a well rounded woman with a fairly sedentary job!) and doing lots of stretching of my very tight archilles tendons while listening to Coffee break french http://radiolingua.com/cbf-step-1/ (French taught with a Scottish accent.. wonderful! They also do a Spanish version). I am also enjoying reading all the discussions re equipment but have to remind myself that I have walked two wonderful caminos without a lot of expensive hi tech equipment so am trying not to get too carried away. I have a lot of questions and a few fears but I think it is good to scare yourself occasionally.. it certainly expands your horizons!
Happy planning to you all
Kay

Re: Class of 2012 and Introduction

Greetings from New Brunswick, Canada!
I have been reading the Forum with interest since I attended the Maritime Provinces Chapter of the Canadian Association of Pilgrims in September. I am hoping to walk the Camino in the spring of 2012, during May and June, to celebrate my 63rd birthday. Having read Jane Christmas' book What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim, I am aware of the pitfalls of trying to organize a walk with a group. However, it would be nice to connect via email with fellow pilgrims whom I may meet along the way. I am still undecided about whether to tackle the VDLP or the Camino Frances. I am inclined to fly to Bilbao, tour the Guggenheim, which I believe is a destination all in itself and then take a bus to Burgos to start the Camino Frances. The other option is to walk from Sevilla to Santiago.Those who have walked both say they are different but equally enjoyable. I am inclined to take the road less travelled. I believe I am what is called a "tourist pilgrim" but I enjoy history, architecture, nature, food and wine and have lived thorugh enough misfortune to know that there is great benefit in living in the moment and smelling the roses as you go along ! The journey is for me the destination and I am priviledged enough to have the time , resources and support of my husband and family to make extended trips. Next year I hope to do a long distance walk in either Ireland (the Coast to Coast Walk) or Wales (Offa's Dyke) as a training precursor to Spain. Any one out there with experience in either of those trails ? Still in training here ... max. 12 kms at a stretch. A long way to go ! Looking forward to being a member of the Class of 2012! Judy Willis

RitaRed said:
Planning to walk the camino frances in may 2012, anyone care to join me?
I'll be starting in St. Jean-Pied-du-Port.
Could use tips, I've never done anything like this before.

Rita: I am also planning to begin the Camino Frances in May 2012 ... to celebrate the beginning of my 60th decade!!! The plan is to begin in Roncevalles. Hope to communicate with some of you here and see you there ...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Re: Class of 2012 and Introduction

JRWillis said:
... I am inclined to fly to Bilbao, tour the Guggenheim, which I believe is a destination all in itself and then take a bus to Burgos to start the Camino Frances. The other option is to walk from Sevilla to Santiago....I am inclined to take the road less travelled. I believe I am what is called a "tourist pilgrim" but I enjoy history, architecture, nature, food and wine and have lived thorugh enough misfortune to know that there is great benefit in living in the moment and smelling the roses as you go along ! Judy Willis

Hi Judy,

If I may suggest, in order to enjoy it all in one shot, you should take a look at the Camino Del Norte.
It's less travelled, has interesting sites to visit (Guggenheim, Gernika, et al) and you could start right there in Bilbao. I had the pleasure of walking the three routes mentionned and can assure you that the Norte measures very well to the others.

Have a good one,
Jean-Marc

Hi,

My name is Debby, I am Dutch and live in Greece. I am planning to walk a piece of the Camino in 2012, in that year I will become 50. I have been thinking and dreaming about it since I gave birth to my son in 1995. But the last two years it is constant on my mind. I am reading, collecting info and walking a lot. Because he is a young boy still and because I work in tourism I can not just go and walk for 6 or 8 weeks, I will do a piece and want to end in Santiago. Later when I've stopped working and my son has taken his own path, I will go again and walk the whole path from St. Jean or even from Arles as I also want to see where Vincent van Gogh lived.

My mind is already on its way.

Ok this is where I commit to 2012 sometime around my birthday (65) in March not sure where from but looking for a long one-maybe from home in England.
Ian

debby said:
Hi,

My name is Debby, I am Dutch and live in Greece. I am planning to walk a piece of the Camino in 2012, in that year I will become 50. I have been thinking and dreaming about it since I gave birth to my son in 1995. But the last two years it is constant on my mind. I am reading, collecting info and walking a lot. Because he is a young boy still and because I work in tourism I can not just go and walk for 6 or 8 weeks, I will do a piece and want to end in Santiago. Later when I've stopped working and my son has taken his own path, I will go again and walk the whole path from St. Jean or even from Arles as I also want to see where Vincent van Gogh lived.

My mind is already on its way.

Hi D

Your son is 14. Why not do your walk right away? Carpe diem.

@ Sagalouts, that sounds like a nice plan. That will take a long time and a lot of planning. It is lovely to read all the info on this site. Have a nice evening. Debby.
@ Caminando, 'Carpe diem' yes! Maybe in an ideal world. 15 Years is not an age you let a boy on his own for a long time when they need to do important exames in high school and, one needs to work to make ones dreams come true. At least I do. So 2012 is fine for me. And I can see I still need a lot of training and preperations. Have a nice evening. Debby

Count me in. I'm just barely getting started on the planning. I'm in a new job and can't break away in 2011 - 2012 is a different story. I've earned it and I'm going to do it! Ultreya!!! John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Debby,

Greetings to you from Comox, BC, Canada ...where the sun is actually shining today! I, too, am preparing for 2012. Hiking boots were purchased a few weeks ago in preparation for the preparation. I can't think of a more meaningful way to celebrate my 65th birthday ... and to share what I anticipate will be a moving experience with my wonderful daughter. Perhaps our paths will cross.

I am Sylvie, known as Aldy on the postings - I am 50 1/2, and I've had the Camino on my "must do " list for a long time... but until about 6 months ago, it wasn't one of my focus goals...
However, over the past 6 months, things have changed in my life, we've had some challenging momments as a family, and much change... and somehow, the draw of the camino gets stronger each day.

In order for me to keep my employment (I am but a mere one or two years away from retirement) I need to plan this for a quiet time at work, since I plan on taking 6 weeks. I'm aiming at starting early May, likely the Camino Frances, possibly from Pamplona or Bugos, depending on my training (which I officially started today) and how my knee holds up.

I am voraciously reading all I can find and am enjoying this "research" part of the journey.
I'm also an avid photographer and am planning on compiling a large book of pictures and journaling.
Cheers from Ottawa Canada
Sylvie

Hi/Bonjour Sylvie, Greetings from the west coast of Canada. I wish you well in your preparations for the Camino. Though I don't know the dates of our departure yet (they await my daughter's work schedule), 2012 will see us on the road. I'm so enjoying "meeting" the folks who are planning to be part of the "class of 2012." It makes it seem like the journey has already begun. Though, I'm thinking, it seems that for many of us the journey begins long before boots or airline tickets are purchased. Best wishes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Debby! I will also celebrate my 50th birthday in 2012 and plan to walk either in June or July of that year. The Camino truly casts a spell on one and I can't wait either! Good luck with all your planning!

:)

Hi,
I am planning to walk Camino Frances from SJPDP May/June 2012. Would have been this year however we took on a years contract running a resort in the Noosa area so have had to postpone.
Anyone in the S.E Queensland area that would like to catch up for a chat about the Camino, their plans etc can contact me at llewp@tpg.com.au
Otherwise hope to see you next May/June on the Camino.

Cheers
Llew

Hi there, myself and my girlfriend Jacqui Rowe will be walking from St Jean to Santiago in Sept/Oct 2012. It will be my first time but Jac has already done it in 2010 so I will be well informed. It is still quiet daunting though and even though it is ages away I have already started preparing.

Cant wait! :D

Hello,
I am ashamed to confess that I had never heard of the Camino until I saw the film 'The Way' a few weeks ago. I know it may be not the 'real' Camino deal but I have been unable to get the journey out of my head since and all I can think about is walking the Camino.

So I have decided that my first overseas experience will be the Camino Frances in Sept 2012 with a friend who has travelled extensively but never the Camino. We will be coming from Sydney, Australia so have much planning to look forward to. I am grateful for this website and all who post on it. I'm excited and scared and I will be logging on most days to learn more. :D
Elizabeth

hi Elizabeth

You may like to check out where an group of Oz pelegrinos regularly meet - a few years ago it was in the Spanish Club in Liverpool St (Sinny CBD)

and there's the A-NZ special forum on Camino around the World to log onto ... lots of info there
australia-and-new-zealand/

hope it all goes swimmingly for you

buen camino
Peter

Dear Peter

Thank you so much for this information.
As I don't intend to travel until Sept 12, I'm not sure when I should start some training (prob sooner rather than later :lol: and when to begin puchasing shoes, backpacks etc. I'm so excited I want to do it now!. I'll be sure to check when and where the meetings are held and in the meantime stay glued to this site and in particular the Oz/NZ section as I'm sure all the answers to my questions are there.
Elizabeth :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Elizabeth. Just wanted to know where you saw "The Way"?
Sharon

Thanks, Elizabeth. I was hoping it might get shown in Australia.
Sharon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi ElizabethS, Greetings from the west coast of Canada. My daughter and I plan to start out in September 2012 as well. Perhaps our paths will cross. While in London last month, I visited the Confraternity of St. James office. It's run by volunteers ... and a hearty, happy, helpful group of folks they are. It was both fun and encouraging to one (this one :)) who has yet to undertake such an adventure to meet folks who have done it before ... and in some cases several times. And, as I bid them good-by, it was moving to hear the words "buen camino" for the first time. If you have a minute, you might want to google them. Their website provides good info.

Hi Elizabeth. Enjoy this exciting time of dreaming, learning and planning your camino. The CSJ site..

http://www.csj.org.au

....and this Forum, will help you to find out just about anything you need to know about camino. Also the page with exciting news about our own Australian Confraternity, getting started in Adelaide, and dates for the pilgrim get togethers in Sydney, are on....

http://www.csj.org.au/australia.html

Next meeting 4th May, dinner at 7pm and it looks like it's back in the Spanish Club. I'll see you there later in the year when we return from Spain. Maybe a good idea to phone Sandra and introduce yourself first. She's a very helpful, friendly person .
Buen camino planning. Carole

I am in the information gathering stage for the Aragonese route, probably beginning in Oloron Sainte Marie, sometime mid-May 2012. Since I found a great online source for that route thanks to Ivar , I am feeling more confident on taking on the route. But once I commit myself on this site, I can't back out from walking now - can I.

I will be 63 by then. I celebrated my 60th by walking 600 km along the Camino Frances in the fall. It was the most wonderful experience. Would like to walk in the spring this time. Since I have been walking outdoors I have gotten the itch to walk a camino again. I am reading my Brierley guide again and lurking on this bulletin board. I am considering continuing on the Francis after Obanos, depending on how crowded it is. I missed the section from Logrono to Burgos so would like to walk that part. Then thinking of doing the Camino Inglese or part of the Norte route. Got to do some more research to check out those routes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The thought of doing the Camino came into my head some time ago, but last year I decided (I think) to ride it in 2012. As I want to be away from London for at least two weeks (avoiding Olympic chaos), the plan is to cycle all the way from the UK to Santiago. Ideally, I'd start in York and quickly cycle through the UK with stops in Walsingham, London and Canterbury before crossing la Manche. Then it'll be two weeks cycling down through France and across Spain. I ride quite a bit, so the thought of 100km a day once on the Continent is not daunting, though I've never spent two weeks riding 100km every day.

There's a lot of planning to do, so thought it about time I get to work.

Hi All! I too am planning the Camino F in 2012.Starting from St. Jean on to Santiago.Late August /early September,looks good for me, I will be turning 58. I am from NS Canada, I have been on the site a few times, I have found so much valuable info and sincerely Nice folks willing to help. I would dearly like to "start-off", with a walking buddy,and perhaps continue onward if this is what develops! I am most times quite "chatty", and not at all shy.I have my Backpack,and a few "minor",items to begin putting ,"The Dream", together. Blessings all! Nancy

Hello all - Sara here, a Spanish teacher from Michigan. I've wanted to walk the Camino ever since I first visited Santiago during a brief study abroad in Spain back in 2007. Now, I just found out that I got a Fulbright grant to teach in the Valencia region this coming school year - so I am planning on walking the Camino after my Fulbright grant ends at the end of June, 2012.

I'm still not quite sure how much of the Camino I'll be walking - it will depend on time and funds available, and I am very much in the planning stages - but I'm looking forward to learning and communicating here!

-Sara

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having returned from the Camino Inglés at the end of May we thought we might walk on the Norte from Ribadesella and visit Covadonga after Villaviciosa, using hotels/hostals, rather than as pilgrims.

Last night we decided that it feels right to plan to return to the Primitivo and to Tineo, then walk on from there. Last year bad weather and previous health problems meant that we turned back at Tineo.
So (DV) we'll be able to walk a further section of the Primitivo in 2012, even if we have to return again to walk it all the way to Santiago.

Hola from Houston, Texas.

I plan on walking from Somport to Finesterre in April/May 2012 (God Willing!). I have a frequent flier ticket book from April 2 to May 14.

I did my first two weeks on the Camino Frances from Leon to Santiago in 2005 and have been hooked ever since. I try to spend 2 to 3 weeks on various stages each year. Last year was on the Camino San Salvador (Leon to Oviedo) and then on to Santiago via the Camino Primitivo. It was thrilling to walk through the Holy Door. This will be the longest I have spent on the Camino and am so looking forward to the solitude, the generosity of people along the way, the history, the food, the new friends......I could go on and on.

I really enjoy reading comments on this forum - I spend a few minutes every day to keep me excited.

If all goes well, I'll be walking in the Spring of 2012.
Not sure which route yet.. I have my eye on walking from either Rome with Lillian or from Amsterdam.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
sagalouts said:
Ok this is where I commit to 2012 sometime around my birthday (65) in March not sure where from but looking for a long one-maybe from home in England.
Ian

Hi Ian,

So you are going again in 2012? I am so tempted to do the same. I yearn for that journey again. When I walked in the Camino Frances in 2010, I began around the middle of May. The weather was perfect the whole way! Won't it be still be snowing in March? If you go a little later, perhaps we will meet up. Then again, beginning in England, it may be warmer when you reach St. Jean.
Joni

Aiming to do Camino Frances from sjpp to santiago starting late may 2012 Good to see others are planning so far ahead .Due to time constraints i have only been able to do Astorga -Santiago in july 2010 so am really looking forward to next year.
buen camino y bueno suerte to all the class of 2012

looking ahead

Eamar
ireland

Hello all,

We are planning to walk the Camino de Santiago in May 2012 and are currently preparing by walking local footpaths each weekend. In September we (hubby & I) will walk a cross country footpath for a week, then regular long walks over the winter, which we hope will get our bodies ready for the May challenge.

We're really looking forward to it.

Thanks for a great forum, it is very informative.

Eileen

I started the Camino in May 2011 meeting a promise to myself to start the Camino before turning 50. I turned 50 two weeks after coming back home :D I plan to go back in May 2012 and walk Pamplona to Burgos. Obligations at home prevent me from undertaking the whole Camino at once so I consider myself very lucky that at least I get to "piece-meal" it. :idea:

Hola, I learned about the Camino while watching a Rick Steve's show on Espana, a county I've wanted to visit since reading Don Quixote as a teen. I've been all over the world as a USAF Veteran. I plan on walking the camino to celebrate 3 events next May 2012. 23 years of sobriety, 6 years of living through Parkinsons Disease, 2 years surviving after Class IV Heart Failure. I plan on training by walking portions of the Appalachian Trail this Autunm and through next Winter and Spring...While training I will do it with the spirit of the camino in mind, reflecting on my life in solitude. I'm researching to see if a camino starting in early May 2012 will have bearable temperatures for the journey..I currently live in Philadelphia Pa., But I'm moving very soon to Lancaster County Pa.

Bob, I find that while training for the Camino one is already walking the Camino. First, because in olden days the Camino started at your front door. Also because it's all in the mind (and in the feet). So your next year celebration sounds like it is already a great one, and will definitely be super, when you start it in Spain.
¡Buen Camino!

Hi everyone

I thought it might be a bit soon to get involved in the forum but now that I see there is a whole "class of 2012" maybe not....
I am starting from St Jean on 27 April 2012. I am from Wellington New Zealand and happy to connect with anyone travelling over May and also any kiwis who have done the Camino.

karen

Hello everyone. Just thinking about the best time to begin and I've decided to start sometime in May. I live in France and have all the time in the world to spend on the Camino. Since I've already visited Le Puy and the other major starting points in France simply as a tourist, I will begin from SJPP. I'm American and have lived here since 2006. My French is pretty good but I'm illiterate when it comes to Spanish. Mi madre es muy bonito is all I can say. Anyway, I hope to make some new friends along the way and perhaps gain some readers to my blog about life in Normandy. Check me out if you like. Comments are always welcome. I am especially interested in meeting fellow Roman Catholics who share a deep faith and connection with their parish.

http://baguette.over-blog.net/

Peace be with you,
Thomas

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another American joining the class of 2012. A friend and I have been talking about it for 2 years but now the time is getting close. We are both turning 60 next year and there is no better way to celebrate than doing another Camino. I will be house sitting in Spain the winter of 2011 and then will start a Camino sometime in Spring. We have no solid plans yet and that is how we like it. Everything is a possibility.

Hola fellow pilgrims,

I´m planning to do the Via de la Plata starting early April 2012. I finished my second Camino Frances in June this year and want to try a different route, hopefully quieter. I´m telling the family this is my last Camino so I want to make it a "biggie" ...although who knows what the future may hold...being a pilgrim is rather habit-forming!

Sandra :arrow:

Hi everyone

first of all, thanks to everyone who has posted their experiences, and all the advice on the forum. I have been lurking for some weeks now, checking out everything. Has taken me a while to figure out that you can summon up the most recent posts more efficiently than just lurking about ...doh! (that expression will only make sense to the english speaking world...unless Homer has taken over Europe as well).
So many people seem to be doing this at a milestone in their life....age 50 or age 60 or whatever, and those who have suffered or are suffering a health issue are just inspiring - so thank you. I have a sort of milestone...April 2012 is the earliest that I can confidently leave my "challenging" teenager!

But to my question of the week - I have read some old posts about bedbugs.....this is a whole new world to me! How is that now? Is it still a real problem? and how can I prevent them. Will it be sufficient to just shake out my sleeping bag every morning? Is there something I can spray on my backpack? Any tips welcome. Also....from what Ive read, they seem to be itchy (and disgusting) but not actually harmful to your health - is that true?
thanks again for all the advice so far
karen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Karen:

Welcome to the forum. I walked this Spring (March 23- April 25th) and encountered no bed bugs. That said there are several threads in here that offer multiple suggestions on how to avoid them and how to get rid of them.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi,

My name is Jim. I'm 54 years old, married and have two beautiful teenage daughters. I live on the Central Coast of California not far from Santa Barbara. I own my own work-at-home business as a freelance medical writer. My plan is to take an 8 week sabatical from my work and use 5 of those weeks to travel the Camino then meet up with my wife and daughters on the last day (my 55th birthday) and walk to Santiago together with them. After that we'll spend two weeks traveling in France and England.

My journey began a couple weeks ago when I met a documentary film maker that is currently editing a new documentary on the Camino that she hopes to air nationally on PBS here in the USA. She's traveling the country screening a trailer to the film and trying trying to raise enough money to finish the editing. This is a non-profit venture. I assisted her with the A/V component of presenting her trailer in our local community. Here's a link to the trailer and a couple other short videos profiling individual pigrims that will be included in the full-length film when it is completed: http://www.caminodocumentary.org

She doesn't know this yet, but if all works out, I plan on using my walk to help raise donations to complete the film. I fell in love with the idea of making the journey, and this is my way of giving something back. I hope it all works out.

Okey dokey I think it is time to put my hand up- I hope to walk again in 2012. In 2008 I walked from Le-Puy-en-Velay in France. My 2012 plans are still 'developing' in my mind and it won't be until December that I will decide for sure where and for how long I would like to be walking. But current plan is to leave about mid-April and walk from Cluny to Le Puy- a distance of about 280km that I gather has relatively few pilgrims on it. At this stage I am thinking of re-walking some of the Chemin from Le Puy, and hope to visit my Irish gite hosts at Ultreia in Moissac. I have a few other plans for walking closer to the Pyrenees and over the Camino Aragones, but am not sure if that will be this trip or another time...
Margaret

Nice one Margaret - looking forward to following your planning, walking and reflecting,

Andy

thats great Margaret -
I have followed some of your posts (and logged the bits of advice) so good to know you will be off again.
I will be walking the Camino Frances next year for the first time but I will think of you out there somewhere.

karen

thats great Margaret -
I have followed some of your posts (and logged the bits of advice) so good to know you will be off again.
I will be walking the Camino Frances next year for the first time but I will think of you out there somewhere.

karen

Thanks Andy and Karen. I am looking forward to the 'planning', and know I need to start upping my fitness level quite soon on the hills nearby! Karen, if you would like to chat about any Camino thoughts, please PM me and we can share phone numbers. (I am on a 'plan' where national calls don't cost me anything.)
Margaret

hey thanks kiwinomad, I sure will....

right now I have another problem. I cant seemto get my departure on the camino calendar - when I click on the link there is no request for user name and password, and I can only get to the generic google calendar.
any advice?
karen

I would like to say Hi. My name is Denise, I am 42 years old and live in Ireland.I have dreamed of doing the walk for years now. I managed to stay for 2 days in Jaca, Spain this year and walked a short distance approx. 20km on the Aragonese route (it is very difficult to ditch a husband and 3 children). It is beautiful and inspiring. I was there on 24th/25th July and I saw very few travelers on this route. Anyway, like everyone I am still planning, and will probably walk for 2 weeks in 2012 and 2013 in June.

Hi Margaret,
We are planning to start from Le Puy at the end of April. Who knows we may see you en route. Happy planning!
Sharon

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sharon I am planning to leave Cluny about 12 April- it is 280km to Le Puy from there, so I figure that's about 2 weeks at my pace. Will take a rest day in Le Puy, so expect to be there 26-27th. I am a slow walker so you may well catch me up! Just watch you don't get any closer to 1 May for Le Puy as it is a very busy holiday. In fact maybe it will be busy when I arrive....
Margaret

Hello to all 2012 pilgrims.

I am a new pilgrim from Connecticut USA. I am planning my first Camino for mid May/June. I would welcome a friend and mentor. I am 62 and a good listener. I too heard of the Camino from Rick Steves.

I am excited about the possibilities!

Alan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Change of plan. Primitivo is out, Arles to Santiago beginning sometime in August is in.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous

Hi

My name is Mary. I'm planning to walk the Camino in 2012. I'd like to start from Chartres - I walked from Paris to Chartres as part of a group in May 2011, and it has really inspired me to want to carry on and walk the rest of the way to Santiago de Compostela. I will be walking alone and having read various postings about the Camino in France I'm beginning to wonder if I'm being foolish. I will be 66 by the time I start and I'm not a great map-reader so I am wondering if I am liable to get totally lost!! Any advice/suggestions regarding the route and guide books etc would be welcomed with open arms!!

Marykins said:
Hi I'd like to start from Chartres - I walked from Paris to Chartres as part of a group in May 2011, and it has really inspired me to want to carry on and walk the rest of the way to Santiago de Compostela. I will be walking alone and having read various postings about the Camino in France I'm beginning to wonder if I'm being foolish. I will be 66 by the time I start and I'm not a great map-reader so I am wondering if I am liable to get totally lost!!
Mary, Your age is no barrier- there are people in their 70s and even 80s who are walking. Perseverance and determination to walk are more important requisites. But I am just wondering how 'wedded' you are to the route from Chartres- as it will not be such a well travelled one. This might suit you, but it will mean you won't have so much company, and cheaper accommodation might well be in short supply until you get further south. The route from Le Puy is more amply supplied with gîtes- and a few forum members have walked from Vezelay and seem to have found enough accommodation.
Margaret

Another Australian here, walking from Pamplona to Finisterre in June/July 2012. First time, in my 30s, wondering if I've lost my marbles!

Hi, I'm Joan from Boston, USA.

Planning on starting the journey from St Jean Pied du Port early May by myself. Am hoping to end up in Santiago by June 6th, my 30th birthday.

I've been wanting to do this trip since I learned about it over 10 years ago and am thrilled to finally make it happen :)

Joan

Hi
Im wondering how people have felt at the end of the camino....do you just want to go home to tv and a proper kitchen and laundry? or did you want to just keep going?
Im now definitely flying solo as my travelling companion has confirmed she is not coming (kinda knew anyway but now its official). how did other solo travellers feel at the end?

karen

I wanted to go home. I didn't feel like being a tourist. It wasn't the tv and washing machine that attracted me- but just blobbing out in my own space!- plus seeing all the people I had thought about as I walked...
Margaret

karennz2012 said:
Hi
Im wondering how people have felt at the end of the camino....do you just want to go home to tv and a proper kitchen and laundry? or did you want to just keep going?
Im now definitely flying solo as my travelling companion has confirmed she is not coming (kinda knew anyway but now its official). how did other solo travellers feel at the end?

karen

I didnt want my first one to end and had felt that way for a few days before getting to Santiago. What amazed me about SDC is that if its possible for you to bump into someone who you met at any time on the camino then you will,so the social side kept me pre-occupied it was only when i went to the train station to go to Porto that I just wished i could be home.

My 2nd one was different, I couldnt wait to get to SDC, i was meeting someone there. I felt more at home this time, and was quite sad to leave it.

I dont know what to expect for my next one, if i get there, I am just going to let my state of mind at the time do the talking.

Mike

thanks for comments, I guess it depends on what happens along the way. I have changed my plans so I am now just doing the camino (Ha! just doing the camino! :shock: ) and then coming straight home.
I dont know how it will go or how I will feel at the end so I am just going to focus on the camino and not try to do too much.......this trip anyway.

Like someone else (I think Peregrino2000) its frustrating having to calculate when I will finish in order to get that long-distance flight booked but Ive done it now so will just have to make that date.

hope your planning is going well Kiwinomad - did you persuade your friends to do a camino too?

karen

€60,-
karennz2012 said:
hope your planning is going well Kiwinomad - did you persuade your friends to do a camino too? karen
Karen, they have already pretty much made up their minds to go, but are probably going to have to wait until 2013. Their house is in the 'orange zone' in Christchurch, so they are still unsure of its fate. They figure they will probably need to stick around home next year, as there will be things they will have to organise, one way or the other...
Margaret

I am thinking about walking the VdlP from Seville starting after Easter next April. Although I am happy walking alone I do have worries about not meeting many pilgrims to talk to or eat with in the evenings. I would be celebrating my 65th birthday during the walk and wonder if I could cope with the long days, solitude,heat ,getting lost ,etc.
I have walked the Camino Frances three times and Portuguese from Lisbon once with a buddy.
I respect the advice given by you all. Love this forum.
I wish I had the confidence of Loving Kindness,so in awe of what she has accomplished.
Heather

Hi Heather
I am also thinking of the VdlP after Easter next year. I'm thinking Holy Week, or the latter end of it, in Seville then walk for about 10 days, I'm thinking maybe to Cacares. I'm walking the Portugues next month so I'll see how that goes and then start thinking more seriously. I walked the Frances last year on my own, not many people as I started in March, but always a few, I gather the VdlP will be different, and quite long days. I suspect that after Easter there may be people around, maybe not.
Sue

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Leaving Le Puy about 1 April and should arrive in SJPP early May and then on to Santiago. I have given some thought to cutting up to the Camino del Norte but really do not have much info on it.
Maybe someone has done this??

Sue and Heather:

Do the VDLP! I've done the last 109km from Ourense, then decided to make an app guidebook on it in English (I'm a writer and couldn't find any current guidebooks before I left) and so have since done Sevilla to Salamanca. I'm going back Sunday to do Salamanca to Santiago and finish it. There aren't that many other pilgrims, it's true, but there are plenty of Spaniards to chat with along the way (people are very friendly to solo women travelers) and in the restaurants at night and at your lodging. And of course you'll likely meet SOME other pilgrims, especially at that time of year. It's a great way to have some quiet, contemplative time, but also meet with others. The scenery's just grand most of the time, too. I can't say enough about it! :)

Melanie

Hi Melanie and Sue et al
It would be great to start off with someone until the Camino confidence kicks in,funny how that happens! Maybe our ways will converge, Sue . We can keep in touch if you like.
Melanie I have your app on my ipad but I think it will be too heavy to take with me as I am usually 10kls anyway. Look forward to reading about your next stage. Have a wonderful trip.
Buen Camino
Heather

€60,-
Hello from sunny Tacoma in Washington State, USA!

My wife Francine is coming up on one of those "milestone" birthdays next year. She and I are planning on walking the Camino Francés in September 2012, starting from Roncesvalles.

I began by thinking this was impossible and a little crazy, but the more I read the more possible it looks.

There is so much advice and information here, I'm getting a little lost just on the forum!

pax,

thom

Hi Thom and Francine, It's fun to see all the folks who are preparing for 2012. With good luck perhaps some of us will meet on the road. I, too, will be walking in September. I took advantage of the west coast sunshine to go for a hike on Mount Washington (on Vancouver Island) this morning ... made me realize that there is LOTS of training to be done! :)

INTRODUCTION AND CLASS OF 2012.
Hello folks, I wonder if I could introduce myself to the forum?
My name is Charlie, 62, retired and live just outside of Leeds in West Yorkshire, UK.
I intend to walk the Camino Frances next April 12th 2012, a day after my 63rd birthday. Flying into Biarritz from Stansted and then taking whatever transport to get myself to SJDP.I wish to take about 6 weeks at a leisurely pace to complete (well you can when you have retired).

I had NEVER heard of the Camino de Santiago prior to June 2011 of this year. I was having lunch in Madrid with two friends and they were describing it to me and how they had already completed it.

From their explanation and how they described it; I was hooked and have been quite obsessed ever since.

I have never been a great (distance) walker due to work commitments but did have some good boots. So I started walking, anything up to about 5 miles. In trainers or air wave soled shoes mainly just on asphalt. That got me some form of exercise. Then I got the boots on and started to increase my walking distance. I walked from Leeds to Methley along the canal side. A total of about 16 miles return. My preparation was a total dog's breakfast.

First of all, as part of my breakfast, I had a couple of grilled sausages – which gave me one heck of a thirst all day. Big mistake. Also I did not carry or drink enough water and I walked the route too quickly in about 5 ¾ hours. Big mistake again, I came home absolutely shattered and I had blisters the size of fried eggs!

To cut a long story short, I have persisted and can manage to walk approx 12 miles at a much slower pace and wearing better quality socks.

Last weekend, I did a 12 mile walk followed by a 5 mile walk the day after. I did pay for it the day after with aches,pains and stiffness.

This weekend I have done the Brighouse Boundary walk (in West Yorkshire). Over the two days this covered 20 miles. I came home shattered, but NO BLISTERS!

Well it is a long way to next April 2012 but it is even longer to Santiago.

Thank you Ivar for allowing me on your wonderful site and best regards to you all.
Charlie.

chas999 Welcome! Enjoy your preparation!
April is a lovely time of the year to walk, also the albergues should all be open and not full.
There are a lot of us golden youngies out there walking, I think 60 is the new 40 and it is surprising how fit you will feel when you finish. A word of warning though, there should be a danger warning on starting the Camino because it does become obsessive, almost impossible to stop walking once you start, and so many caminos to choose from :D
Sue

You are giving yourself some good lessons. Walking 20km per day for weeks on end is like your 12 mile walk followed by the 5 mile walk, but much worse. You have noted that you will have to pace yourself. Expect to be sore and tired every day, so have some mental resources to fall back on. It does not really get easier until two weeks have passed. It is almost impossible to train for a Camino except by doing a Camino, so stay in shape, but don't burn yourself out training.

Unless you like misery, you must figure out a way to prevent blisters. There is a lot of advice and comment on that subject on the Forum, so find the solution that works for you. Properly fitting boots are key to preventing blisters, so be sure you have that covered. It generally involves trying on the boots with the socks you will be using, then thinking about other friction reduction measures, and what you will do as your feet swell and shrink. Proper hydration DOES have an impact on blisters, so do not short yourself on water intake.

Have fun! I likely will be on the Le Puy route at about that time, and I plan to have fun.

I am not sure if my posting will be in line with the other postings but I want to introduce myself here as I consider my trip to Santiago de Compostela as a pilgrimage although it will be by motorcycle . Next year I will have my 60th birthday and I feel it is time to look back and be grateful for my life.
And I think a pilgrimage to Santiago is a good way to show gratitude.
So me and my wife, together with a colleague of mine ( also 60 next year and feeling the same way as I do) and his wife are planning to make the trip in the month of May.
We live in Belgium and Santiago is about 2300 km from where we live and we really look forward to our pilgrimage
Staf

Hello Sulu and Falcon,

Thank you for your warm welcomes to this forum and the advice and comments that you have provided. It is much appreciated.

Thanks once again and hopefully by next April 2012 i will be somewhere near a little more fitter for my pilgrimage.

Best regards
Charlie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.